IGNORED

Alex Pritchard and Sunderland

Leveller

Ian Beale- 4 wins, 14 points 11 games.

He's had his chips you might say.. 

Manning- 6 wins, 23 points 18 games.

There's no great difference albeit Sunderland are a better side top 6 last year but then again Diallo, Stewart then a half season apiece of Simms and Geldhardt surely helped.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed. Total chancer. Not sure how he ever got employed at this level (twice!!) 

I work with a QPR ST holder, and it’s very widely known their end that the wolves interest came because he’d spent multiple times up there delivering presentations to their board, basically whoreing himself out to them, only to act surprised and caught out by them publicly approaching him. Acted the loyal hero by turning them down.

Low and behold he jumps ship at the first opportunity about 4 days later after losing some games..

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Big C

I suppose the Cup run is a differentiating factor and Manning is preferential to Beale but the cold hard facts are thema cold hard facts,are they not?

I much prefer to look towards the future and where the club is going. Yes there have been disappointing games under Manning but I've enjoy more games under Manning this season than under Pearson

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 3

Just now, Big C said:

I much prefer to look towards the future and where the club is going. Yes there have been disappointing games under Manning but I've enjoy more games under Manning this season than under Pearson

All subjective really.

I'd say the best points have possibly been higher than some of those under NP...The worst when bad really bad. Norwich, Millwall and Blackburn games plus the last half hour Saturday all spring to mind.

Hopefully the change will pay dividends.

Missing out on the play offs not acceptable for a big club with expectant fans, interested to see if sneaking into the play offs will go well this season as the gap between 3rd and 6th is on course to be the biggest ever since the championship play offs began (currently it stands at 16pts which matches the all time record after 46 games which was in 1997-98).

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

All subjective really.

I'd say the best points have possibly been higher than some of those under NP...The worst when bad really bad. Norwich, Millwall and Blackburn games plus the last half hour Saturday all spring to mind.

Hopefully the change will pay dividends.

But when you look at both Middlesbrough games, Hull, Watford away, Forest, West Ham,  Southampton even Coventry away all much better than the start of the season, where I can only think of Plymouth and at a pinch Swansea away

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Big C

I suppose the Cup run is a differentiating factor and Manning is preferential to Beale but the cold hard facts are the cold hard facts,are they not?

The way I see it is that Sunderland saw it wasn't working so cut their losses. 

We however are just going to carry on hoping it will work out. Spend lots of money etc and then it still won't probably work out and then we'll need another proper manager to come in and sort the mess out. We are too nice and patient here in the West Country. 

Sunderland are not so they've been decisive and got rid. It's probably an acknowledgement that they know they made a mistake getting rid of Mowbray. 

I was quite positive after the Boro and Soton wins but yesterdays game was atrocious. The tactics were all wrong. Team selection wrong. The motivation was all wrong. The in game management and substitutions were all wrong. 

I've shared my concerns before about Manning rushing players back. Putting Twine on the bench who was not fit enough to take part is up there with some of the most ludicrous decisions I've seen from a manager of this club. Right up there with Wilson not putting Lita on the bench in the po final. 

I've seen enough now. Manning is a coach. He's not a manager. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 3

Probably should have stayed at QPR, interestingly his win % with them was only around 40 odd % they just had a lucky streak and he followed the money.

Had very little integrity with them saying he would stay, then jumping ship - a strange appointment from Sunderland, perhaps, desperate to quickly replace Mowbray - he was not helped losing good players (like Prichard) in January though!

Sunderland could be keen on Will Still again, whether that is reciprocated who knows.

Plus Steve Cooper could be another name in the frame. He falls upwards somewhat.

Sunderland in theory could give a good budget IMO buy they seem not to be utilising their undoubtedly decent turnover so far. They've spent but less than they could.

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Now where have I heard this before......?

Clubs can be slaves to fashion. They see what the likes of Edwards and McKenna have done and decide they want some of that as if a trendy young coach is a guarantee of success. Follow that logic and Coventry should sack Robins immediately on the grounds that he is doing well but not in a fashionable way.

Sunderland clearly didn't do their due diligence on Beale though since he is a well known ******** with not much of a track record.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Clubs can be slaves to fashion. They see what the likes of Edwards and McKenna have done and decide they want some of that as if a trendy young coach is a guarantee of success. Follow that logic and Coventry should sack Robins immediately on the grounds that he is doing well but not in a fashionable way.

Sunderland clearly didn't do their due diligence on Beale though since he is a well known ******** with not much of a track record.

Had Coventry sacked Robins at his lowest ebb this season, then I doubt they would be back right in the mix for the playoffs. A young and trendy up and coming boss..?

Since he abandoned his long held back 3, 2 PPG and 1 or 2 losses only, in 18 games.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Now where have I heard this before......?

Well we've got rid of a few too tbf.

Although not all have been popular.

The trouble is getting someone in who is either well liked or does a better job.

Well actually we had one of the former in Rob Edwards but he's busy elsewhere now.

52 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Well we've got rid of a few too tbf.

Although not all have been popular.

The trouble is getting someone in who is either well liked or does a better job.

Well actually we had one of the former in Rob Edwards but he's busy elsewhere now.

Your club got rid of a decent one in summer 2020 tbh, who had hauled the team from a hopeless position to at least a chance of survival.. 

All IMO of course.

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Your club got rid of a decent one in summer 2020 tbh, who had hauled the team from a hopeless position to at least a chance of survival.. 

Yes we did but think that might have be in connection with an alleged incident at half time in one of our games .

“There were rumours after the game that Pearson and Masina had been involved in a physical altercation but all those involved vehemently deny that was the case”

https://theathletic.com/1937600/2020/07/19/pearson-watford-nigel-pozzo-relegation-deeney-stack-mullins/?amp=1

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Thanks 1

It's a strange one. Apparently no one wanted him in the first place but also didn't want Mowbray.

I listened on Talk Sport earlier where they did an interview with a journalist/podcaster/Milan (?or Madrid)expert and Sunderland fanatic who stated that the owner "may" not have access to his father's money ( former Marseille owner) as it's in a Trust and he "may" have bought Sunderland just to gain experience prior to making a new bid for Marseille.

He also stated that Mowbray's journey to the play off's last season was an accident as the club didn't want to get to The Premier League and the fact that they got to the final was not what they wanted.

Conspiracy theories are numerous in football as we see on these pages but the idea of a club not wanting to get into the Prem even if just for one season is beyond bonkers. 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Probably should have stayed at QPR, interestingly his win % with them was only around 40 odd % they just had a lucky streak and he followed the money.

Had very little integrity with them saying he would stay, then jumping ship - a strange appointment from Sunderland, perhaps, desperate to quickly replace Mowbray - he was not helped losing good players (like Prichard) in January though!

Tbf - when Rangers come calling i imagine that’s a massive pull, i doubt he will get another chance of managing a club as big as that. That’s no stick to beat him with.

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Sacked by Rangers and Sunderland. Big pay outs. Think he was right to move! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sacked by Rangers and Sunderland. Big pay outs. Think he was right to move! 

Or is this his last significant pay day?

Having failed in the Championship and the much easier SPL (given that he managed one of the 2 favourites) who would take a risk on him now?

League 1 beckons!

2 hours ago, Sarumred said:

Sacked after just 12 games. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Seems very harsh on the outside and incredibly muddled thinking by the Board both in getting rid of Mowbray in the first place (apparently because he wanted to add some experience to their youthful squad and the board refused) and then appointing Beale as a result,  but I guess if he isn’t working out and players and fans aren’t enjoying working with him then you could say it’s better to cut ties now as opposed to carrying on with something that isn’t working and doesn’t appear will in the short to medium term.   A bit of a mess atm though and apparently their fans want Allardyce or Keane neither of whom I would suggest would be any better! Should’ve stuck with Mowbray (assuming his health gets better) in the first place.  

• Like 1