IGNORED

Sound of the city

Bowlegchicken

Just now, fgrsimon said:

It would actually help if he (LM) actually explained specificall in plain English what he actually means when he says 'emotions', 'processes', 'chasing outcomes' etc. They're just nebulous words/phrases that could mean just about anything

Buzzwords. 

The only buzz about him.

23 minutes ago, eardun said:

Agree with this and as Piercy said it was daft expecting Manning to do the club leadership role. We’re lacking a senior, focused, visible football club CEO focused on just City. Someone who is also a good communicator. We may have been OK if Gould had stayed. We don’t know why Alexander left, but even if we concluded that he wasn’t the right person for the job, we could have replaced him. Marshall is not just focused on City - he has a wider Bristol Sport role, plus he is not as visible as Gould was. Personally, at this point, I would spend some money on sorting the  leadership role rather than rush to sack Manning. Otherwise, the structure won’t work for his replacement either. 

Which one of GO or JP brought up Alexander…because it’s a huge loss.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In all seriousness i’m not sure - I imagine what he’s really saying is he wants players to work to a game plan regardless of external factors.

Hmmm…….so your football knowledge is as basic as mine……………:cool2:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Owers comes across just like a city fan. Pretty sure he’s got Manning pegged as a bluffer as well. 

Spot on Glyn. He can see right thru Manning but is subtle about it - just listen to him RB after a AG match.

Edited by Robbored

35 minutes ago, Street red said:

Plus those clubs haven't got a Bristol sport franchise hanging over there heads with rugby and basketball,That's the difference if he solely concentrated on Bristol city football club instead of being Barcelona then maybe just maybe we would of made it by now.

Yeah how about actually finishing one project…. Neither the rugby or football club have got their potential.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Nobody does... literally nobody 

On 05/03/2024 at 22:49, Pezo said:

I would love him to elaborate a bit more and explain what that means on the pitch, did it mean we went to early or too late, did someone cry, or get angry? Does anyone know what the **** he is on about?

I would prefer that he just talked about emotions to a different interviewer, preferably one at a club in a league where he is more suited like the conference.

Yatzee

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

According to the hierarchy at AG it was soon realised that there wasn’t actually anything for Alexander to do - Junior had taken on the role.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Piercy said, the atmosphere down the ground is stopping the players from playing, and even stopping Manning from coaching how he wants to coach. So, it's our fault.

What atmosphere?

Is there an atmosphere nowadays?

• Haha 1

Just now, Feral Williams said:

Mostly groaning rather than anything overly negative or positive for that matter, though I have to say I’ve had my moments of groaning quite loudly

Thanks. 

I didn't ask about your personal life though. 😉

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm a fan of Piercy , his recent article was very good , Owers is always sensible and interesting . But I have to give credit to the presenter, that was the best show for some time, definitely since JT left. 

I'd love them to do this sort of thing once a month or so. 

I've always got the impression that the presenter is a city fan. I'm sure I remember him doing temporary stints several years ago. I quite like him, but obs GT is a near impossible act to follow.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

According to the hierarchy at AG it was soon realised that there wasn’t actually anything for Alexander to do - Junior had taken on the role.

Im not sure what alexanders role was in terms of day to day, though the footballing royalty comment did for him, but certainly goulds loss was massive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

GO. But it was JP who called out there is a leadership vacuum and it was unrealistic to expect Manning, a 38 year old head coach, to perform that club leadership/communication role as well as his coaching duties. 
P.S. PA wasn’t visible so I’m not saying he was the right person; just replace him though rather than bin off the role. 

Edited by eardun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Piercy said, the atmosphere down the ground is stopping the players from playing, and even stopping Manning from coaching how he wants to coach. So, it's our fault.

No. He didn’t say it was our fault. He said the atmosphere has been building since Pearson was sacked. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I've always got the impression that the presenter is a city fan. I'm sure I remember him doing temporary stints several years ago. I quite like him, but obs GT is a near impossible act to follow.

he is, for over 40 years, he said so himself on the show.

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

No. He didn’t say it was our fault. He said the atmosphere has been building since Pearson was sacked. 

Which is true, I can't remember such a popular manager being sacked. I would estimate that at least 80% of the City support were against the sacking of Pearson. If you ran the poll again now, the number would be 95%.

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

This deserves a catching title thread so SL and BT read it (I am sure both come on here still). Best SOTC in a long time, two excellent people in JP and GO, have them on each week please. Clear as day they see through Manning. 

20 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im not sure what alexanders role was in terms of day to day, though the footballing royalty comment did for him, but certainly goulds loss was massive.

Know someone linked to Palace and was raving about Alexander, couldn’t believe we moved him on. 

2 hours ago, RollsRoyce said:

I managed to tune into the last half hour. Some interesting points, and a few red herrings as well in my view.

But they did touch on the area where I believe, others will disagree, that the club is lacking. Leadership. When they removed Nige they left the club with the following 4 key people. Marshall, Tinnion, Jon Lansdown and Manning. In isolation you would question each of those people to perform their roles, but in combination it is in my view a recipe for disaster. There is no strength or depth of ability in that set up, so when you do have say a Manning type come in, who is learning on the job, the rest of the structure is not sufficiently able to support and carry them. This would be true of any young inexperienced coach coming in. I personally detest how Manning wants to play football, but that is about preferences, others love that type of game plan. But you cannot move Manning out, and for me he must go he is so out of his depth, but you have to also look a all 4 of those key positions. I do not believe those 4 people would not be on any other Championship clubs blue print for success. It is also worth mentioning that in recent years it has been shown that some of our better periods have been with experienced managers, GJ/SC and to an extent in terms of stopping a L1 return NP. Strong personalities all 3 of them. As there is no other leadership at the club, those people have had to fill a void. Removing NP, and at the same time all of his key team members was reckless and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of what elements are required to create success. That did not happen at Brentford, Luton or Brighton. They all evolved along a similar path.

Manning has to go, the club is spiralling in one direction. But simply changing him for another young coach will risk the same outcome. 

Far cry from the partnership we briefly saw between Gould and Pearson. 

• Like 1

That was an absolutely fantastic show. Would have been a bit better with some fan input but nevertheless it was a good listen. 

Although at times it felt like JP was trying to play down it was interesting to hear some snippets he gave from the written press interviews.

I bet SL isnt too pleased wasting all that money on sacking NP and all his backroom staff then paying Oxford compensation to get in someone who clearly isn't ready for the job yet and looks like we will have to pay him off shortly as well.   Well SL if you put you faith in JL and BT this is what you can expect those are the two that need replacing and get people in who know how to run a club properly. We would probably been in the premier league by now if you hadn't wasted so much money  

• Like 6

What a great episode. Was there similar ones for Holden etc when GT was hosting? They seem spot on with a large portion of the feelings on here of frustration, unless there’s a huge turnaround the writing feels like it’s on the wall already. 

The crux of the problem is Jon Lansdown.  Nepotism never works.  Lansdown senior needs to get his son out of there, appoint a top of the range CEO and let him run the club unfettered, including the appointment of an experienced Head of Football and possibly a new Head Coach, although I’d give Manning the benefit of the doubt with professional people around to support him.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 10
  • Flames 3