IGNORED

Sound of the city

Bowlegchicken

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My understanding of what LM means when referring to ‘emotions’ is saying not to get too low when losing or too high when winning - try to keep as balanced as is possible during any match.

Too high when we win?……They haven’t stopped banging on about beating Southampton!!! 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Edited by BS3 Ark at Ee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think any of us do, because he seems to use the term completely incorrectly / out of context.

Its one of his stock phrases when he hasn’t got anything he can use to explain better.

And there in lies the problem: incorrect use of the English language in an attempt to sound clever = confused audience (players).  

• Like 1

It was mentioned a few times how teams have caught us up and then overtaken us on the way to the Premier League. (Thankfully, it being SotC no Gasheads were listening to give them ideas.) It was pondered why is this so.

I'd venture it's because those clubs gear themselves up to become successful. If they get a manager who brings kudos and success they stick by him and cling to his coattails on the upper trajectory. Here, if any manager does well or becomes popular it seems to signal his demise because the owner doesn't like it. The manager is dispensed with and we return to this Head Coach title with the next appointment, the man in charge of training and selecting the sides firmly knowing his place. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My understanding of what LM means when referring to ‘emotions’ is saying not to get too low when losing or too high when winning - try to keep as balanced as is possible during any match.

Basically, it’s clear you have a very basic understanding of the game - which is fine. Just makes it all the more amusing when you mansplain to people.

I respect it (in a way) even if it’s not that funny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Basically, it’s clear you have a very basic understanding of the game - which is fine. Just makes it all the more amusing when you mansplain to people.

I respect it (in a way) even if it’s not that funny. 

What’s your take on ‘emotions’ in Manning speak PF?

Just now, slartibartfast said:

Don't know much about the bloke, don't buy or subscribe to EP, what's his background ,is he local, a fan  ?

No, think he's just a professional journalist who understands what he's talking about. The Few hated him at the start of the season because he didn't stick his nose up Joey's arse and instead wrote similar pieces to those he writes for us before they were able to bring the normal North Korean style journalist in full time.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How the hell can Steve allow Ian Gay's source to peddle this stuff into the open? Not to mention undisclosed transfer fees and the like. Are they hoping that Manning gets wind of it and pisses off?

It all adds to a sense of a situation running out of control and nobody having a handle on it. I'm sure whoever decided to use Ian Gay as a conduit for leaks has underestimated his complete lack of filter but it feels like the club are misreading and misjudging everything at the moment. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Whatever it means (and I understand what it means) you have ex-pro's watching us and not liking what they are seeing. That is more important than semantics right now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It was mentioned a few times how teams have caught us up and then overtaken us on the way to the Premier League. (Thankfully, it being SotC no Gasheads were listening to give them ideas.) It was pondered why is this so.

I'd venture it's because those clubs gear themselves up to become successful. If they get a manager who brings kudos and success they stick by him and cling to his coattails on the upper trajectory. Here, if any manager does well or becomes popular it seems to signal his demise because the owner doesn't like it. The manager is dispensed with and we return to this Head Coach title with the next appointment, the man in charge of training and selecting the sides firmly knowing his place. 

I liked JP's notion of it being an ideal, the club don't actually know how to replicate it. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Absolutely. Sadly there is unlikely to be any improvement on that front in the near future though. 

Then we need to make it happen it's ridiculous, The club can't continue like this, It's mistake after mistake and back in October it was the biggest and most unprofessional mistake they've made after years of the same old bad decisions.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, The Coach said:

This is what I posted yesterday also. Woke up with the feeling he has two games to save his job. Lose both, I think he’s done after Plymouth. Much like Gary Johnson.

I find this plausible. I just don't think there is reason to believe the club will be anywhere near as patient as they were with Lee Johnson, who was so obviously a protege of the owner. It's obvious from the panicked media conferences after Pearson went that that the Lansdowns had realised they had utterly misread the fans' mood and were concerned with how negatively they were being perceived. They were always going to try to dig in and prove Manning was the right appointment but they are also going to be very aware the evidence is looking very different and they've nothing to gain from persisting with a manager who devalues key assets or risks relegating the club. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

It all adds to a sense of a situation running out of control and nobody having a handle on it. I'm sure whoever decided to use Ian Gay as a conduit for leaks has underestimated his complete lack of filter but it feels like the club are misreading and misjudging everything at the moment. 

Yes, and worse still they also seem to lack the nous to recognise they took the wrong option and rein themselves in a bit!! I know Jamie Carragher gets a lot of stick but wasn't it him who said "when you make one mistake don't go and make another straight away trying to rectify it"?

• Like 1

Owers stated the infrastructure is in place when comparing us with clubs who have gone past us. He was referring to bricks and mortar (stadium and training ground). That got me thinking, it’s not bricks and mortar that get you to the prem (Luton, Bmouth, Burnley…). Is our football decision-making infrastructure anywhere near good enough? We were compared with the likes of Brighton…. Tony Bloom or SL or JL? Paul Barber or BT? De Zerbi / Graham Potter or LM???? Despite all his investment, SL is still doing it on the cheap/employing mates/family when it comes to leadership roles. 

• Like 6

Excellent episode & thought Owers and Piercy were both very good.  It’s clear Owers isn’t having Manning one little bit & Piercy did fear it was spiralling out of control, whilst at the same time being honest with thoughts about Manning e.g never throwing a player under the bus.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes, and worse still they also seem to lack the nous to recognise they took the wrong option and rein themselves in a bit!! I know Jamie Carragher gets a lot of stick but wasn't it him who said "when you make one mistake don't go and make another straight away trying to rectify it"?

I just don't get the sense anyone has enough control to rectify anything or rein in anyone. Maybe I'm wrong but the situation looks to me from the outside like there are three or four people who've sort of got control of various bits of the club but nobody is fully sure who is in charge of what. And hence nobody knows if they've got the authority to act in a crisis. And so nobody acts and the crisis escalates. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Owers stated the infrastructure is in place when comparing us with clubs who have gone past us. He was referring to bricks and mortar (stadium and training ground). That got me thinking, it’s not bricks and mortar that get you to the prem (Luton, Bmouth, Burnley…). Is our football decision-making infrastructure anywhere near good enough? We were compared with the likes of Brighton…. Tony Bloom or SL or JL? Paul Barber or BT? De Zerbi / Graham Potter or LM???? Despite all his investment, SL is still doing it on the cheap/employing mates/family when it comes to leadership roles. 

Plus those clubs haven't got a Bristol sport franchise hanging over there heads with rugby and basketball,That's the difference if he solely concentrated on Bristol city football club instead of being Barcelona then maybe just maybe we would of made it by now.

• Like 2

They both said the club lacks leaders. 

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I just don't get the sense anyone has enough control to rectify or rein in anyone. Maybe I'm wrong but the situation looks to me from the outside like there are three or four people who've sort of got control of various bits of the club but nobody is fully sure who is in charge of what. And hence nobody knows if they've got the authority to act in a crisis. And so nobody acts and the crisis escalates. 

I don’t listen to SOTC. I don’t go to the gate anymore. I can’t bear to support a Lansdown led club anymore. My take is, it doesn’t matter if Manning goes. That won’t help the success of the club in any way. The issue is Lansdown and his mates. They don’t want a manager. Somebody who can run everything on a daily basis. Someone who is experienced and knows how to get the best out of his players. Someone who is in-tune with the fanbase. Someone who may question their integrity and not say yes to everything. Lansdown has proved that.

If Manning goes, who comes in? An experienced manager who can turn things around? No. Another young ‘up and coming’ ‘Coach’. Someone who will conform to the agenda. Somebody who will stay in line and say yes sir. It stinks. The whole club is an absolute joke these days. It kills me to say I have lost heart with the club and won’t return until Lansdown gives Bristol City a chance and sells the club.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

35 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Largely agree with you.

Though I'd wager Manning was on more Championship clubs potential shortlists for head coach than Tinnion was for DoF or Jon Lansdown as Chairman. 

Agree with this and as Piercy said it was daft expecting Manning to do the club leadership role. We’re lacking a senior, focused, visible football club CEO focused on just City. Someone who is also a good communicator. We may have been OK if Gould had stayed. We don’t know why Alexander left, but even if we concluded that he wasn’t the right person for the job, we could have replaced him. Marshall is not just focused on City - he has a wider Bristol Sport role, plus he is not as visible as Gould was. Personally, at this point, I would spend some money on sorting the  leadership role rather than rush to sack Manning. Otherwise, the structure won’t work for his replacement either. 

• Like 5

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I just don't get the sense anyone has enough control to rectify or rein in anyone. Maybe I'm wrong but the situation looks to me from the outside like there are three or four people who've sort of got control of various bits of the club but nobody is fully sure who is in charge of what. 

I started to post similar but yeah this - I’d also throw in the petty fiefdoms created across Bristol Sport. 

SL the Duke of Normandy Gurnsey, leaving his English lands in the hands of his vassals, only to reappear when the peasants threaten revolt - rather than a harrowing of the north, we get a petulant budget cut and some stroppy soundbites. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, went to edit, and deleted wrong bit.

This is what I’d put:

Well if anyone heard a few rumours doing the rounds, Ian Gay has heard the same and just broadcast it on BBCRB.  Him and his source have no filter and no shame.  Wow!

56 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

How the hell can Steve allow Ian Gay's source to peddle this stuff into the open? Not to mention undisclosed transfer fees and the like. Are they hoping that Manning gets wind of it and pisses off?

I listened on catchup , and skipped through , but what was it Ian Gay said ?
I caught the bit about having 8 games to save his job, but that just seems obvious, given our results ,  and not like telling the World undisclosed transfer fees. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Excellent episode & thought Owers and Piercy were both very good.  It’s clear Owers isn’t having Manning one little bit & Piercy did fear it was spiralling out of control, whilst at the same time being honest with thoughts about Manning e.g never throwing a player under the bus.

Agree, 2 excellent pundits.

Far higher calibre of conversation, shame the presenter was so so, felt Owers & Piercy sort of ignored him at times & had their own (excellent) chat.

Love Owers, he’s basically an adopted Bristolian.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

They both said the club lacks leaders. 

Absolutely but I think it also lacks a leadership structure. As @Barrs Court Redsays, it's "petty fiefdoms".

The CEO role has been essentially replaced by a handful of people in charge of different bits but nobody in charge on an executive level. And that can only result in different areas competing with each other for power and a lack of overall decision making. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Your explanation is the only thing i can think of, you dont want your players flying into reckless tackles and getting sent off, or fighting each other when you lose because of emotions… 

at this point manning has gone the other way though, the conway goal from that press against west ham wouldnt happen now, or if it did, it would be contrary to his tactical plan. The players are being coached to be passive, it’s no surprise we keep losing.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree, 2 excellent pundits.

Far higher calibre of conversation, shame the presenter was so so, felt Owers & Piercy sort of ignored him at times & had their own (excellent) chat.

Love Owers, he’s basically an adopted Bristolian.

Owers comes across just like a city fan. Pretty sure he’s got Manning pegged as a bluffer as well. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In all seriousness i’m not sure - I imagine what he’s really saying is he wants players to work to a game plan regardless of external factors.

It would actually help if he (LM) actually explained specificall in plain English what he actually means when he says 'emotions', 'processes', 'chasing outcomes' etc. They're just nebulous words/phrases that could mean just about anything