IGNORED

Southampton at home match thread

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

My first half thoughts included this:

Thought we played with composure, intensity, professionalism, and desire. throughout that 45 minutes.

The frustrating ‘nearly’ bit is when we get around or into their box it’s nearly, nearly, nearly, every  time as the final ball has been lame either to a defender or their keeper, that is the huge area for improvement. Memheti, Bell, Roberts, have all been guilty of delivering a very weak final ball, following very enterprising and I catching approach play.

The top teams have that ruthless, clinical edge in the final third that we are blatantly lacking at the moment.

Second half we played just as well, however, we very much did deliver quality balls in the final third (even if the first goal came from a pass from an off side position.)

Without wishing to over react that was one of the most complete team performances from us in a league game (against a very good opponent) in a very long time. Well done all the players and the staff.

We even scored following a throw in, when did that last happen!?

Only disappoint was not keeping a clean sheet.

So, we have shown in recent weeks what a solid / capable team we can be against two premier league teams and certainly did so again tonight against a team high on confidence and likely to be in the promotion hunt at the end of the season.

A very good performance and a well deserved three points.

Well played you Reds!

For me it’s the lack of a quick final ball. 

there’s often too much hesitation before the final ball which leads to too many men getting back into position and stifling any attack or chances of a second ball because we had numbers. 

mehmeti, bell and knight were all guilty of it tonight but I won’t dwell on it too much because we got a great result.

Just to end, it seems as if we’re reluctant to make that final cross into the box because it’ll turn over possession, I feel like you’ve gotta take the risks sometimes instead of the extra touches and predictable shot.

COYR.

13 minutes ago, redkev said:

If Anis had of done the same on numerous occasions we could of been out of sight , some terrible decision making by him , the only slight flaw on an excellent performance from the whole side 

Dunno why anyone responded to this with a face palming emoji as this is bang on. Such poor decision making and so frustrating. Hope he can improve his decision making and learn to commit defenders or release the ball rather than slow it up to the point defenders are set up in a pair to block either path. 

There is a player in there though if only he can up the intelligence to become it. 

• Like 3

From their forum….As poor as we were, I think we have to concede that Bristol City played very well. Full of energy from start to finish, and were very quick on the break. True, we made it easy for them by giving the ball away too often, but credit where it is due. 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

I’m not concerning myself with that, although I still have nightmares about one moment in particular…

Sat next to my best friend at ER (when it was easy to get tickets) you’d just signed Kilkenny and I was slagging him off…

He picked up the ball advanced and smashed it in off the underside of the bar from 25 yards, every ****** around me in silence followed by

”why the **** couldn’t that shit *** do that for us”

😂

God he was awful ! I think that might have been his only goal for us (?)

In all seriousness, I hope you go up this season, as Leeds should be in the Prem, and we don’t want to play you next season !

We have the same issue with Wolves. No matter how good / bad we are, the game always ends in defeat.

5 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Sky sports really not liking the mighty saints being well beaten.😂😂

"that's not to take anything away from Bristol City... BUT Southampton have contributed to their own downfall tonight. Wouldn't you agree Jason?" 

And in comes Jason Euell with "No..... because Bristol City made them make those sloppy passes by pressing so well."

Top work JE! 

Edited by redrob
Typo corrected
  • Like 7
  • Robin 1
6 minutes ago, redrob said:

Dunno why anyone responded to this with a face palming emoji as this is bang on. Such poor decision making and so frustrating. Hope he can improve his decision making and learn to commit defenders or release the ball rather than slow it up to the point defenders are set up in a pair to block either path. 

There is a player in there though if only he can up the intelligence to become it. 

I don't know that Anis was the only player guilty of poor decisions in forward areas but the criticism of him is fair. Over the 90 minutes I would score him a 6.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One thing I mentioned to the mateys around me was their keeper was very good, tho we should’ve tested him off his line more than once and the ball didn’t like leaving the floor once they had it, they still had elements of premiership football, liked to make something out of nothing and very petulant once losing a player. 

In the second half we grew a lot on the attacking side of play, without losing shape in midfield and defence. Dickie's goal killed their confidence and our pressure made it difficult for them to regain control : shame about the penalty, but it didn't affect the result so no problem.

One of the best aspects? The performance of the reserves (Roberts + the subs).

Edited by Dan Robin
5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think some complaining about the Sky coverage post game are being paranoid. There is no bias. Southampton came into the match in 2nd place and were clear favourites so their defeat warrants analysis and discussion. They've been full of praise for our performance too, which is as it should be. 

It's the same all the time people just moan for the sake of it.

• Facepalm 1