IGNORED

Southampton at home match thread

My first half thoughts included this:

Thought we played with composure, intensity, professionalism, and desire. throughout that 45 minutes.

The frustrating ‘nearly’ bit is when we get around or into their box it’s nearly, nearly, nearly, every  time as the final ball has been lame either to a defender or their keeper, that is the huge area for improvement. Memheti, Bell, Roberts, have all been guilty of delivering a very weak final ball, following very enterprising and I catching approach play.

The top teams have that ruthless, clinical edge in the final third that we are blatantly lacking at the moment.

Second half we played just as well, however, we very much did deliver quality balls in the final third (even if the first goal came from a pass from an off side position.)

Without wishing to over react that was one of the most complete team performances from us in a league game (against a very good opponent) in a very long time. Well done all the players and the staff.

We even scored following a throw in, when did that last happen!?

Only disappoint was not keeping a clean sheet.

So, we have shown in recent weeks what a solid / capable team we can be against two premier league teams and certainly did so again tonight against a team high on confidence and likely to be in the promotion hunt at the end of the season.

A very good performance and a well deserved three points.

Well played you Reds!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Gotta say that McCrorie showed a bit of class with that ball.

If Anis had of done the same on numerous occasions we could of been out of sight , some terrible decision making by him , the only slight flaw on an excellent performance from the whole side 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

My first half thoughts included this:

Thought we played with composure, intensity, professionalism, and desire. throughout that 45 minutes.

The frustrating ‘nearly’ bit is when we get around or into their box it’s nearly, nearly, nearly, every  time as the final ball has been lame either to a defender or their keeper, that is the huge area for improvement. Memheti, Bell, Roberts, have all been guilty of delivering a very weak final ball, following very enterprising and I catching approach play.

The top teams have that ruthless, clinical edge in the final third that we are blatantly lacking at the moment.

Second half we played just as well, however, we very much did deliver quality balls in the final third (even if the first goal came from a pass from an off side position.)

Without wishing to over react that was one of the most complete team performances from us in a league game (against a very good opponent) in a very long time. Well done all the players and the staff.

We even scored following a throw in, when did that last happen!?

Only disappoint was not keeping a clean sheet.

So, we have shown in recent weeks what a solid / capable team we can be against two premier league teams and certainly did so again tonight against a team high on confidence and likely to be in the promotion hunt at the end of the season.

A very good performance and a well deserved three points.

Well played you Reds!

I catching ffs 🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, The turtle said:

A fantastic performance.yes the end product was annoying in first half. But it was still a good performance. It was them being so dull trying to put everyone to sleep.

But the whole game from us has been about energy, foot to floor, aggressive football. Both with and without the ball as much as possible.

While extremely disciplined No hint of control survival football, no hint of sluggish. Gone for them, gone wide, simply gone at them with a pure intensity.

They've been trying to play chess. We've thrown the board to the ground and made it clear it's our house and our rules. No matter how much possession you have.

Play like this every week, sign me up here and mow

With players coming back from injury and a couple of loans we now have more depth in the squad and this allows us to make changes without losing quality & energy on the pitch 

• Like 3

Crickey. If someone had told me we’d be doing “Oles” with seven minutes to go I’d’ve backed away from them slowly never taking my eyes off of them.

Best league performance in a long, long time. Twine and others still to come back! Tanner had an absolute blinder. Dare I say we are starting to look like a football team. OTIB

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sky bemoaning poor Russel Martin's defeat

Come on now. They have given us tonnes of credit all night. They are talking about the end of a 25-game unbeaten run because that is an incredible run and it coming to an end is a thing that deserves being talked about. But they haven't gone overboard with that to the exclusion of talking about how well we've played individually and tactically. 

Edited by the1stknowle
  • Like 4
4 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

If only we weren’t so shit against you, literally every time we meet !!

I’m not concerning myself with that, although I still have nightmares about one moment in particular…

Sat next to my best friend at ER (when it was easy to get tickets) you’d just signed Kilkenny and I was slagging him off…

He picked up the ball advanced and smashed it in off the underside of the bar from 25 yards, every ****** around me in silence followed by

”why the **** couldn’t that shit *** do that for us”

😂

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Great performance, 6 wouldn’t have flattered us tonight.

We were so wasteful with the final ball at times, especially in the first half.

Second half we were far more composed and relaxed on the ball. 

Which goes to show the players can still improve immensely. 

We were great. Lots of matches have ‘what if’ moments and think ours was when we gave the ball away first minute of second half. Different match if they score first.

Was worried at Half time about not being able to sustain it for 90 mins. How wrong was I!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Come on now. They have given us tonnes of credit all night. They are talking about the end of a 25-game unbeaten run because that is an incredible run and it coming to an end is a thing the deserves being talked about. But they haven't gone overboard with that to the exclusion of talking about how well we've played individually and tactically. 

Sky’s post match coverage is like a ******* Southampton post mortem… someone call a coroner. This makes Robins TV positively neutral. 

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Gotta say that McCrorie showed a bit of class with that ball.

I think that pass from McCrorie for Harry’s goal was my favourite bit of the night. Brilliant final third composure, and it is precisely what we have been lacking this season. 

• Like 5

One area I think we have improved is when regaining possession we have looked to pass forward into space rather than the safer option in the other direction. Whether that is because Southampton were pushed up a bit further than most I am not sure.

We looked a threat all game long. Could easily have been 5 goals for us.

Meanwhile Sky are STILL droning on and on and on about the team that lost.

• Facepalm 1
12 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Now it would just be so Bristol City to get 1 point or so out of QPR and Sheff Wed…

Well those 2 games will be the test, our last brilliant performance was winning at Watford, making it 3 wins in a row. Then we faced matches against 'lesser' sides and only drew with Brum and lost to Millwall. So let's see 6 more points from QPR & S.Weds.