IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

That's the worst we have played under Maning , every outfield player should be ashamed of how they played today no fight, most had just given up by 60 minutes, I was expecting us to play poorly but not that poorly, what a mess

More like 20 minutes

20 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I honestly would’ve been tempted to have taken him off, if there was much longer to go in the game. Felt sorry for him. Awful decision to bring him on 

I actually thought he looked composed and classy in the ten minutes against Southampton but dire today, no pun intended. Not a fun game to chuck him into, but he didn’t look any more developed/ dangerous than Yeboah used to

26 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Can't say I'm surprised.

In the week, I warned that the Boro and Southampton games actually suited us more than the QPR game, and that this would be a truer test of our potential to push towards the top 6. Today we failed that test.

Manning's record against bottom half teams is becoming abysmal: P8 W0 D3 L5

It's all very well getting "great" results again strong teams, but if it's a waste if you're then picking up 1 point out of 6 against sides like QPR.

Spot on.

That bottom half record is really worrying. Not only does it waste the good results against "big teams" but you can't rely on it, because it requires your Middlesbroughs/Southamptons/Leedses to be off their game. Leeds tore us a new one the other day.

We don't have a divine right to beat QPR. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd be saying that to them. But we do expect more than 3 points out of 24 against the bottom half of the league. Can't say for sure that Nige would have done better in this regard but I suspect he would have. We feel like a soft touch again at home.

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

While the criticism about City not being able to break teams down and struggling against teams that sit in is entirely valid it doesn’t actually explain what happened today does it.

We were beaten fair and square by the much better team, and they should have put a few more past us second half.

Exactly. 

Leeds weren’t a team that sat in and we were equally as garbage. 

we could have lost 4/0. We had no attacking threat. Bringing on Cornick instead of Sykes was madness when we needed to make  something happen! 

We were awful all on our own with or without the way QPR set up. They were just better than us!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Not surprising but still disappointing. We can appear strong in some matches but the squad has too many weak points to challenge for a playoff spot.

With less iniuries in some moments of the season and a tactical plan B for some games, who knows...

As many have mentioned on here, if only Lansdown had spent the Scott money wisely.

Play offs would have been a realistic possibility IMO.

• Like 3

I didn't go today (glad I didn't) but I had a feeling this was on the cards. It seems like they wanted it more, had something to defend and had a real sense of purpose and deservedly won the match. it seems with the changes he made it just unravelled LJ esqe before his very eyes and makes it look like he's a mug out of his depth. Its a bit of an enigma developing for Manning, how to play successfully against the so called lesser opposition. Its something he has to address and quickly. Until he can get that belief into the players for a routine win, matches like today just underlines that we are a mid table team going nowhere.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, winsaw said:

That's the worst we have played under Maning , every outfield player should be ashamed of how they played today no fight, most had just given up by 60 minutes, I was expecting us to play poorly but not that poorly, what a mess

I agree, this was 100% down to the players, there's no excuse for not being able to  string three passes together,  QPR are in the bottom three for a reason, because they're not very good, but what is Chair still doing there ?

As said at start of thread that was my 6 year old grandson’s first game.  Last one too if he has any sense!  

Let’s be clear we will make no progress up to top flight without top flight quality manager (not Head Coach), who is then supported by positiveinterested owner with funds.

That is how we did it under Alan Dicks.

We had one piece of this trinity in place at beginning of season.  We now have no pieces in place.

What of our famous Pillars, how many of them don’t lie in ruins.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just back & sorry if this is a repeat as yet not read the thread

I’m fully supportive of Manning but today he got that massively wrong.

Possibly our strongest squad options to start with - he got startng line up wrong & also the subs.

We we’re playing well creating chances but not finishing until Bell went off with injury - Sykes to us seem the obvious replacement. Seem all down hill from there onwards.

Off the back of an excellent win, full compliment of attacking players to utilise we’re treated to 90+ mins of Nakhi being a yard off everything.

Hopefully, the coaching team will learn from this.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

I agree, this was 100% down to the players, there's no excuse for not being able to  string three passes together,  QPR are in the bottom three for a reason, because they're not very good, but what is Chair still doing there ?

Disagree - they were set up to fail today & slowly lost belief as the game progressed.

Big learning point for the coaching team today.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Since Millwall a few weeks ago more like. No difference from when NP was in charge…

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. 

Leeds weren’t a team that sat in and we were equally as garbage. 

we could have lost 4/0. We had no attacking threat. Bringing on Cornick instead of Sykes was madness when we needed to make  something happen! 

We were awful all on our own with or without the way QPR set up. They were just better than us!

I think Syke’s little 15 minute appearance tells you all you need to know about why Cornick came on instead of Sykes. Not even close to match fit.

• Like 2

I think we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... especially at the end of a mad run of games which we have had.

We need to get the number and regularity of those poor performances reduced and that will happen.

I take the positive view that we have shown in the last 4 or 5 games that we can pay brilliantly and beat anyone on our day - and those type of performances will be repeated going forward....it's the same.players and same coach.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, cellist said:

Spot on.

That bottom half record is really worrying. Not only does it waste the good results against "big teams" but you can't rely on it, because it requires your Middlesbroughs/Southamptons/Leedses to be off their game. Leeds tore us a new one the other day.

We don't have a divine right to beat QPR. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd be saying that to them. But we do expect more than 3 points out of 24 against the bottom half of the league. Can't say for sure that Nige would have done better in this regard but I suspect he would have. We feel like a soft touch again at home.

The "bottom half" syndrome thing is easy to diagnose. Top half teams are confident, they don't feel the need to play a game to contain us, they feel that their football will be good enough to overcome us relay on this and set up to attack us rather than stifle us

We like those games, we are better at them because we don't have to unlock teams, we can play our way through them and we're quite good at it

When it comes to the bottom half, teams come to defend and right now, we simply don't have the guile/ability to break them down.

What's worse is that we don't seem to be able to fathom that unless you have players capable of a) making clever runs and b) playing a through ball, just passing the ball to each other for 90 minutes is pointless and also boring a **** in the bargain 

It will be exactly the same against Wednesday, we need to change it, do ANYTHING at this point, even hoofing it is in the equation but just DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT because walking football is the dullest thing ever...

Thank you ....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

We are undoubtedly progressing, albeit slowly and you are bound to get good performances with the odd poor performances thrown in.... especially at the end of a mad run of games which we have had.

We need to get the number and regularity of those poor performances reduced and that will happen.

I take the positive view that we have shown in the last 4 or 5 games that we can pay brilliantly and beat anyone on our day - and those type of performances will be repeated going forward....it's the same.players and same coach.

Odd poor performance.

We got 3 points from 18. We were thoroughly awful against Leeds. 

We played well but lost in Nottingham. Got two league wins followed up by what ever the hell that was today. 

Are we progressing? I think there is progression in some areas of play, but not others, however the only individual who I see progressing obviously is OLeary, manly because he is called to save us so often. 

• Like 3