IGNORED

Magnanimous Ian Gay!!

JP Hampton

1 minute ago, phantom said:

I'm curious if you dislike what he says why you haven't blocked him? 

I'm not sure why you feel embarrassed, he's hardly a voice for the club or fanbase, sadly social media is full of people promoting their own views whether we agree with them or not 

In fairness Mark, you’re on Twitter / X, this isn’t just “opinion” tweets, this is “secondary club comms”.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be honest, you get arseholes who overstate their importance and present themselves as “the voice” of a group of people in every walk of life. 

Everyone knows that Ian Gay does not in any possible way represent the voice of Bristol City fans and everyone knows he will take every opportunity to pretend that he does.

The more publicity he gets, the more he will do it. So the obvious answer is to ignore him.

Ian does not represent the views of ALL City fans but I would argue not all disagree with some of his POV.

I called him out on this episode on "fatigue", just two (max) extra games than most FFS! 

Haven't heard Mowbray at Brum moaning about lack of time training "out on the grass".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm curious if you dislike what he says why you haven't blocked him? 

I'm not sure why you feel embarrassed, he's hardly a voice for the club or fanbase, sadly social media is full of people promoting their own views whether we agree with them or not 

No we just have a few who think they do , and are desperate to get heard on any media outlet

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Sadly the biases, paid or otherwise, come through so strong from all three of David, Mark and Ian

It was hard listening this morning with so many derogatory references to the 'previous regime' even in topics where Pearson was not even relevant

What "bias" this week from me or Mark?

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah, we've already got threads dissecting his opinions. He's perfectly entitled to say what he wants

Utterly pointless referencing someone who I know for a fact doesn't post on or read OTIB 

I have never said he’s not entitled to his opinion or to say what he wants, ever. I’ve actually stated in the past on other threads that I agree with many and disagree with some, that’s not the issue, the podcast is a more interesting place with him on it.  But phantom, for someone who is championing his right to his opinion, you certainly seem to have a problem with my having one. 

But this isn’t about an opinion per se, it’s about an attitude and view, which I find hard to swallow, so I posted to see if anyone else noticed.  Just because others have had a say, does that mean I can’t? That’s not really how it works. 

Engaging with others actually gives one’s own view some perspective, sharing those views is what forums are for.
  I guess I must be mistaken in being sure I’ve heard him say, “I read on OTIB…….”

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The thing I find amusing, is it’s not particular to Nige, the bloke has endlessly slagged off every manager we’ve had the entire time he’s been some sort of Radio Bristol celebrity. I remember losing the plot hearing him suggest Cotterill should be sacked about five minutes into the season after promotion.

But now, it’s just excuses for every underperformance and utterly nonsensical claims that Manning should be compared to Pearson at the same stage of his time here. Yeah, great analysis that, just ignore literally all context.

This absolute 180 degree turn happening at the same point that he is clearly receiving information from the club. All quite amusing how see through it is to be honest. 

If this weird personality transplant continues, he’s going to stop (usually incorrectly) stating the heights of random professional footballers.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

The double standards are embarrassing from IG. However, it probably comes with the territory now he’s one of Tinnions little pawns. 

Probably says more about Tinnion, if he feels feeding Ian Gay (of all people) will pacify supporters. 

Remember when Tinnion came out and said 'It will be all over bar the shouting' in 2003/04 by the time we were due to play QPR and Plymouth.

Guy talks nonsense a lot. Just get on with your job.

1 hour ago, JP Hampton said:

As always a good podcast. Echoing much of what fans have been saying on here, but what amazes me is how Ian is now able to be so reasonable about LM failings, having never been so with NP. It smacks of being so hypocritical having a go at fans who are moaning about yesterday. 
 He cuts LM so much slack. He mentions allowing him preparation time, the calibre of the players he’s got and “looking in his rear view mirror” about yesterdays game, in other words putting it behind us (which is fair enough but let’s have that across the board).
  He actually said that he was fed up with fans, who were exalting LM after the wins against Boro’ and S’Hampton and are now saying after yesterday’s game makes him the worst manager.  Said he can’t do tricks etc. Never heard him being so supportive of NP or allowing any of the very real challenges that NP faced as an excuse for not doing better.

This change of face seems to have come about since his ITK status, maybe coincidence?

Makes me laugh 😂

He has moaned about every city manager, however part of me thinks because of his praise given he is getting info from inside. Hence why he will now defend! 

Just now, 2015 said:

Remember when Tinnion came out and said 'It will be all over bar the shouting' in 2003/04 by the time we were due to play QPR and Plymouth.

Guy talks nonsense a lot. Just get on with your job.

Tinnion is all over X when city win, disappears after a defeat or poor performance. Surely be constructive or don’t go on it at all.

• Like 1

Just now, Shauntaylor85 said:

Tinnion is all over X when city win, disappears after a defeat or poor performance. Surely be constructive or don’t go on it at all.

He just comes across as a big arrogant to me. If you take your City specs off and see it what it is it's arrogance.

Great player, poor manager, good academy coach but needs to keep his mouth shut in the media

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I wrote on another thread that Ian got his obligatory dig at Pearson in early this week. Yes Ian is regarding Mr Pearson as @Robbored was regarding Gary Johnson. All very annoying so only watched the first 15 or so this week!

The youngster with @headhunter was very good and I would expect to see more of him as he was clear about what he saw and thought and I think Spot on! Also he is not weighed down by having to justify previous statements!!

No, Gay was also very critical of Gary Johnson. Started a thread on here something like "do the right thing and GO" or similar.

Went very quiet when he got us to the playoff final! Never admitted he was wrong. Just showed the quality of the man.

He has to my knowledge been negative to all managers until now.

Maybe BT has promised Gay the managers job when Manning leaves.

That would be right wouldn't it, putting someone in a position that they have no experience or qualifications to undertake. That would make it three alongside the "Chairman" and "Technical director"

Thankfully Gay doesn't seem to lower himself to talk to radio Bristol after the game anymore, saves an awful lot of swearing on my way home.

As you can probably tell, not a fan....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

If he believes anything Tinnion says then he's a fool

If Tinnion told me my house was on fire I’d probably put on an extra coat.

And if Tinnion told me that my neighbour wasn’t looking for an extra marital affair then I’d probably suit up straight away.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

He just comes across as a big arrogant to me. If you take your City specs off and see it what it is it's arrogance.

Great player, poor manager, good academy coach but needs to keep his mouth shut in the media

I could go on all day. But I’m not going to on here. Hear a lot of things. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Brian Tinnion is feeding him info either directly or indirectly.  Directly is my guess.  And it’s not unusual for clubs to do this either, sometimes for good reasons, sometimes to try and offset some flak.

If I was the club, getting a bit of stick from fans, who would I choose (against my better judgement) - a Nige-hater with a big opinion.  Ian fits the bill perfectly to be a LM / Club advocate.

I think that you’re reading too much into it Dave - I’d very surprised and disappointed if BT was revealing ‘confidential’ details to any supporter - that would be putting his job at risk.

Its also worth remembering that otib users are a small percentage of the club fanbase and although the views on here probably reflect the general mood amongst the wider fanbase - which is why the players and the hierarchy at the club read this forum.

• Haha 1

Just now, Robbored said:

I think that you’re reading too much into it Dave - I’d very surprised and disappointed if BT was revealing ‘confidential’ details to any supporter - that would be putting his job at risk.

Its also worth remembering that otib users are a small percentage of the club fanbase and although the views on here probably reflect the general mood amongst the wider fanbase - which is why the players and the hierarchy at the club read this forum.

Prepare to be surprised and disappointed.

As I believe you may say to your wife 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Clearly inspired you to write another post about him 

Why not contact Ian on X etc so he can reply? 

Ian Gay can post on here and defend himself but he sees us all as ‘tossers’ and refuses to rejoin. He threw his toys out of the pram whilst on here previously having got into a row with another poster - who no longer posts on here either.

Shame as Ian Gay can sometimes post some interesting stuff at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JP Hampton said:

As always a good podcast. Echoing much of what fans have been saying on here, but what amazes me is how Ian is now able to be so reasonable about LM failings, having never been so with NP. It smacks of being so hypocritical having a go at fans who are moaning about yesterday. 
 He cuts LM so much slack. He mentions allowing him preparation time, the calibre of the players he’s got and “looking in his rear view mirror” about yesterdays game, in other words putting it behind us (which is fair enough but let’s have that across the board).
  He actually said that he was fed up with fans, who were exalting LM after the wins against Boro’ and S’Hampton and are now saying after yesterday’s game makes him the worst manager.  Said he can’t do tricks etc. Never heard him being so supportive of NP or allowing any of the very real challenges that NP faced as an excuse for not doing better.

This change of face seems to have come about since his ITK status, maybe coincidence?

Makes me laugh 😂

Tbh I wouldnt give it a listen.

47 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

No, Gay was also very critical of Gary Johnson. Started a thread on here something like "do the right thing and GO" or similar.

Went very quiet when he got us to the playoff final! Never admitted he was wrong. Just showed the quality of the man.

He has to my knowledge been negative to all managers until now.

Maybe BT has promised Gay the managers job when Manning leaves.

That would be right wouldn't it, putting someone in a position that they have no experience or qualifications to undertake. That would make it three alongside the "Chairman" and "Technical director"

Thankfully Gay doesn't seem to lower himself to talk to radio Bristol after the game anymore, saves an awful lot of swearing on my way home.

As you can probably tell, not a fan....

I must have forgotten the stuff regarding IG and Gary Johnson, I guess that was during his previous iteration as Bristol Boy. 

I’m not sure we don’t have three people without the experience or qualifications right now. We are the club that brought in LJ and promoted Holden and Tinnion himself after all.  Quite a track record those Lansdown fellas have 

strangely I noticed him not on Radio Drivel post match yesterday. It won’t last. 

For the record I do admire the fact he says what he thinks and isn’t always wrong (although he is a great deal) and I get the fact we have the thread shows that the poddy is getting hits. 

However FBC is a bit stale at the moment. I liked the kid today but they are in danger of becoming the unofficial poddy of Bristol Sport. My god if a Pearson team had played like that yesterday there would have been hell to pay on there! 

Perhaps @headhunter should have a little think about putting IG and even Mark on the bench once in a while to get some edge back! 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

However FBC is a bit stale at the moment. I liked the kid today but they are in danger of becoming the unofficial poddy of Bristol Sport. My god if a Pearson team had played like that yesterday there would have been hell to pay on there! 

The current excuse is that it isn't Manning's players. Pearson was never offered the same excuse at the end of 2020/21.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

The current excuse is that it isn't Manning's players. Pearson was never offered the same excuse at the end of 2020/21.

Hang on……Tinnion and current recruitment were involved in a number of signings and the board also sacked Nige because they deemed squad good enough for top six.