IGNORED

Magnanimous Ian Gay!!

JP Hampton

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I've never understood these fan podcasts. 

Why do fans, want to watch and listen to other fans pretending to be television soccer pundits? It's cringe worthy..

And then put them on a pedestal like they are something special and more knowledgeable. When they obviously aren't. It's just personal views like any of us. 

All seems a bit weird to me. 

The forum is one thing...this however is just blokes playing at being TV pundits. It's exactly the same type of conversations you have with mates at work or down the pub. 

Never understood why anyone would give it their time, and then want to comment about their views. Like these people's views are important. 

I find it very odd. 

Maybe I'm in the minority...🤷

Each to their own, I enjoy the pod.

No one's putting them on a pedestal or thinks they're special, they're ordinary knowledgeable City fans with strong opinions. I would also class myself as having strong opinions and knowledgeable when it comes to City - after 50+ years, so I should be. The difference is they've got the gift of the gab and could talk about City on a pod all day and that certainly doesn't apply to all of us.

The pod seems to get good listening figures, ever rising last I heard, so they're obviously doing something right that appeals to a fair number of City fans.

That much of it is 'the sort of conversation you'd have with mates down the pub' is surely a good thing?

Anyway, very easy to knock it but a lot of time and effort clearly goes in to it which it's appreciated by many fans, and luckily for you watching, listening, or even commenting on it is not compulsory.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No one's putting them on a pedestal or thinks they're special, they're ordinary knowledgeable City fans with strong opinions. I would also class myself as having strong opinions and knowledgeable when it comes to City - after 50+ years, so I should be. The difference is they've got the gift of the gab and could talk about City on a pod all day and that certainly doesn't apply to all of us.

The pod seems to get good listening figures, ever rising last I heard, so they're obviously doing something right that appeals to a fair number of City fans.

That much of it is 'the sort of conversation you'd have with mates down the pub' is surely a good thing?

Anyway, very easy to knock it but a lot of time and effort clearly goes in to it which it's appreciated by many fans, and luckily for you watching, listening, or even commenting on it is not compulsory.

Exactly. I’m not sure about the idea anyone has put anyone on a pedestal. In fact I think it’s the opposite. You put yourself out there you are far more likely to get criticized! 

As we have discussed a few times before we have pretty extensive City CVs and obviously they do too so I can forgive a lot! COYRs 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

But that's the whole bloody point. I set up FBC in June 2020 in the middle of lockdown because we couldn't do that!

The fact that now over 1000 people listen per episode and since we've gone on You Tube a similar number watch our "faces for radio" panel, shows there is a market for our output.

Fair enough...each to there own, whatever floats yer boat. It's just not for me...or some others it seems. Crack on 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Like I said each to their own. Some people also enjoy watching people do stupid dance routines on tic tok. Same thing applies. Effort goes into that as well. If you enjoy it...so be it. 👍

Personally I’ve loved coming on the podcast. It allows all of us to express opinions on something we are all very passionate around and actually allows for some pretty interesting debates alongside getting to know other city fans better through it (many friendships have been formed through various podcast esc things).

David as a lot know puts a lot of hard work into it you should see some of his notes when I get there in the morning pages long of various stats and figures and the work he as well as Mark and Ian (I know Ian hey…) has been paying off as numbers are going up which shows there’s a market for it.

Certainly not in it for money and I can completely understand if the four or five or whoever’s on that pod doesn’t appeal to you as we can only cover our views. None of us are professionals at this but we hold a common passion for city hence why I love doing them.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, TomSutton said:

Personally I’ve loved coming on the podcast. It allows all of us to express opinions on something we are all very passionate around and actually allows for some pretty interesting debates alongside getting to know other city fans better through it (many friendships have been formed through various podcast esc things).

David as a lot know puts a lot of hard work into it you should see some of his notes when I get there in the morning pages long of various stats and figures and the work he as well as Mark and Ian (I know Ian hey…) has been paying off as numbers are going up which shows there’s a market for it.

Certainly not in it for money and I can completely understand if the four or five or whoever’s on that pod doesn’t appeal to you as we can only cover our views. None of us are professionals at this but we hold a common passion for city hence why I love doing them.

It’s a great to listen to and you guys are doing a fantastic job.  Even though Ian can be irritating at times, at least you are all honest with your own opinions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham76 said:

It’s a great to listen to and you guys are doing a fantastic job.  Even though Ian can be irritating at times, at least you are all honest with your own opinions. 

In some ways I think Ian allows us to bounce off him and his let’s say alternative views at times it creates a debate I’m not sure how entertaining it would be if we all held the same views in truth.

Although saying that there *should* be reason for why you hold that view that can be explained that’s where it starts to get a little irritating for some I imagine as a few on here have said that he says a lot without actually saying anything.

In truth I actually do like Ian although I know many don’t and although he’s a polarising figure I get on with him but maybe I’ve just not been around long enough yet 🤣

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Has his openness to be reasonable coincided with the timeframe since he’s apparently been “in the know”? Just wondered if someone in the club has offered small nuggets of information in return for not going too over the top with views that the club would not like being pushed onto fans? 

It coincided with the Senior Reds lunch which I believe Dave hosted? And who was the guest speaker? Brian Tinnion of course. 

6 hours ago, bearded_red said:

The thing I find amusing, is it’s not particular to Nige, the bloke has endlessly slagged off every manager we’ve had the entire time he’s been some sort of Radio Bristol celebrity. I remember losing the plot hearing him suggest Cotterill should be sacked about five minutes into the season after promotion.

But now, it’s just excuses for every underperformance and utterly nonsensical claims that Manning should be compared to Pearson at the same stage of his time here. Yeah, great analysis that, just ignore literally all context.

This absolute 180 degree turn happening at the same point that he is clearly receiving information from the club. All quite amusing how see through it is to be honest. 

If this weird personality transplant continues, he’s going to stop (usually incorrectly) stating the heights of random professional footballers.

Ian has a unique ability of slagging off Manning but without directly blaming him. I'm not sure if he even realises he does that. He'll say something like "the tactics and subs were wrong" but he won't mention Mannings name in that sentence. Almost as if he is removing Manning as being responsible for those things. 

He kept blaming the players rather than blaming Manning. Can't remember him blaming the players instead of Pearson in the past! 

Its just bizarre how he has so much sympathy for Manning. He went on a rant comparing Manning to the Spurs manager and essentially saying Manning isn't a miracle worker. Just bizarre. 

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

The current excuse is that it isn't Manning's players. Pearson was never offered the same excuse at the end of 2020/21.

He blames fatigue on our defeat yesterday and was quite focal about that. 

We had quite a relentless schedule when a NP first came in and that was with a squad that had been given a very poor pre season by Holden and the fitness staff. 

Never once did I hear Ian use the fatigued excuse for that period. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I dont know who Gray is

Purposely spelling his name wrong in an attempt to persuade us that you don't know who he is 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry but that is hilarious!!

Especially as the topic title is

'Magnanimous Ian Gay!!'

Why are you pretending you don't know who he is? What's the purpose of that? 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Purposely spelling his name wrong in an attempt to persuade us that you don't know who he is 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sorry but that is hilarious!!

Especially as the topic title is

'Magnanimous Ian Gay!!'

Why are you pretending you don't know who he is? What's the purpose of that? 

Hilarious isn’t it! @Cole Not Gas you are the best! 

• Haha 1

I think you’ve got to have divisive characters on fans podcasts just to make them interesting. Appreciate that one individual on FBC is very Marmite, but he can stimulate debate and at least not make it boring, he’s clearly doing something right in terms of getting the conversation going given the irritation that some on here clearly have.

Since OSIB fizzled out there is not a huge amount of choice for City podcasts, and I sort of stumbled across FBC after getting thoroughly bored with the 3 Peeps one as that might as well be produced by the club given as they more or less follow the party line. 

I don’t agree with some of the opinions expressed on there from time to time,  but it’s mostly an entertaining listen, which is pretty much the whole point of it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spudski said:

Why do fans, want to watch and listen to other fans pretending to be television soccer pundits? It's cringe worthy..

And then put them on a pedestal like they are something special and more knowledgeable. When they obviously aren't. It's just personal views like any of us. 

The forum is one thing...this however is just blokes playing at being TV pundits. It's exactly the same type of conversations you have with mates at work or down the pub. 

Never understood why anyone would give it their time, and then want to comment about their views. Like these people's views are important. 

I find it very odd. 

@spudski

I guess that they are on an ego trip. Since I was a young boy, I've enjoyed "talking" with other fans of all ages in newsagents waiting for the Green In to arrive and on the train to and from Ashton Gate with eight or nine adult neighbours. But we just gave opinions on things that had happened during matches and what we'd do in the future games. It was just banter and not taken too seriously.

I know I spend too much time on here but I have so many other things to fill my day like dog walking, cooking our meals, learning another language, gardening, diy'ing and building an N gauge model railway. I'm sat here now waiting for daylight and the first dog walk on the beach. Have a happy day everyone.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, headhunter said:

But that's the whole bloody point. I set up FBC in June 2020 in the middle of lockdown because we couldn't do that!

The fact that now over 1000 people listen per episode and since we've gone on You Tube a similar number watch our "faces for radio" panel, shows there is a market for our output.

...and it achieves that objective and is bloody great. 

If it doesn't rock your boat, then fine. Sod off, you don't have to listen to it. Set your own rival project up and see how it fares. 

I, for one, am appreciative of the time, energy and commiment these lads put in and it seems I'm not alone. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

@spudski

I guess that they are on an ego trip. Since I was a young boy, I've enjoyed "talking" with other fans of all ages in newsagents waiting for the Green In to arrive and on the train to and from Ashton Gate with eight or nine adult neighbours. But we just gave opinions on things that had happened during matches and what we'd do in the future games. It was just banter and not taken too seriously.

I know I spend too much time on here but I have so many other things to fill my day like dog walking, cooking our meals, learning another language, gardening, diy'ing and building an N gauge model railway. I'm sat here now waiting for daylight and the first dog walk on the beach. Have a happy day everyone.

Oh that’s a bit unfair. Actually I think that’s a bit rude and uncalled for. The guys who do the pod are not egotistical, one maybe a bit, but I find them just decent blokes who want to discuss the game for an hour post match. I enjoy it, it’s only a short broadcast on YouTube anyway. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@spudski

Not an ego trip mate.

I have other things that fill my day too which by and large mirror yours - whilst I'm not learning another language or building an N gauge model railway  I am attempting to learn how to play the clarinet my goal being able to emulate Acker Bilk and play Stranger on the Shore!!😁

28 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Oh that’s a bit unfair. Actually I think that’s a bit rude and uncalled for. The guys who do the pod are not egotistical, one maybe a bit, but I find them just decent blokes who want to discuss the game for an hour post match. I enjoy it, it’s only a short broadcast on YouTube anyway. 

Thank you. Being on You Tube has brought new followers who don't "do" podcasts where we can still be found on Spotify & Apple

• Like 4

Just now, headhunter said:

Not an ego trip mate.

I have other things that fill my day too which by and large mirror yours - whilst I'm not learning another language or building an N gauge model railway  I am attempting to learn how to play the clarinet my goal being able to emulate Acker Bilk and play Stranger on the Shore!!😁*

Thank you. Being on You Tube has brought new followers who don't "do" podcasts where we can still be found on Spotify & Apple

I did listen when it was on Podbean but found the technology let it down at times. Much better on YouTube. 

*HT entertainment?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, spudski said:

I find it very odd. 

I’ve never looked at it like this and was considering volunteering to apply to the podcast but having read this I won’t bother!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

@spudski

I couldn't have put it better...and exactly how I feel too.

I'm passionate about City, and like you think, probably spend too much time on here in between work and doing other things. 

My mind boggles how much time people put into basically a passionate hobby. 

I'd get bored...variety is the spice of life. 

Seems we are more like NP and have other interests, whilst others are like LJ...playing football manager and living and breathing the game. 

Whatever floats their boats I guess 🤷

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’ve never looked at it like this and was considering volunteering to apply to the podcast but having read this I won’t bother!

Well how I see it...imagine speaking like it in front of a City manager, staff and the players...and what they think about it. 

That thought makes my toes curl 🙈🙄😆

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Look seeing as I started this thread, let me clear things up. @Cole Not Gas read my post properly. I am not suggesting anywhere that Ian or anyone else doesn’t have the right to an opinion. I think Ian can hold his own, it’s not his opinions about how we’ve played etc that smacks of double standards. Are you going to jump to the defence of everyone who gets highlighted on here who are similarly singled out? He’s on a public broadcast, it’s going to happen and I’m quite sure he’s well aware of it.  

And again I’ve said before I agree with much of what he says and he’ll always say what he thinks. That’s why it’s so obvious when he’s suddenly so ingratiating . It’s his attitude of openness and disregard of failures, that may arise under Manning, (particularly evidencing that’s it’s still Pearson’s team), that was hard to swallow. 

Again and I’ve said it before, I really enjoy the podcast, it’s balanced out by different characters and opinions.Great. @Curr Avon  @headhunter @TomSutton and any other regular guests I enjoy the podcast in case others make out I’m slagging the podcast off as a whole. You only have to read the original post to see that’s not what I’ve said, despite some trying to suggest otherwise. 

Ian can say what he likes (this really wasn’t intended to be such a big deal) but by the same token so can others. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

And again I’ve said before I agree with much of what he says and he’ll always say what he thinks. That’s why it’s so obvious when he’s suddenly so ingratiating . It’s his attitude of openness and disregard of failures, that may arise under Manning, (particularly evidencing that’s it’s still Pearson’s team), that was hard to swallow. 

And that is why I posted what I did, and also in response to the ITK comments.  He is definitely getting info from the “inside”, and I suggested it’s coming from Tins, directly or indirectly.  And that inside info has meant he is now conflicted…and not giving the opinion you would normally get from him.

But that’s totally his prerogative.

As for the pod, it is much better, as both a guest or viewer, now it’s possible to view the guests when they’re on.  KUTGW HH.

• Like 4