IGNORED

footballers cutting holes in socks

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

that's football socks,

not every day socks.

Footballers think it will reduce pressure on their calves and reduce injury's

Chelsea's Conor Gallagher was the latest footballer to try out this new idea against Man City over the weekend.

Where are these holes cut ?

And are they cheaper in the club shop as  they less material and more holes therefore less sock ?

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Where are these holes cut ?

And are they cheaper in the club shop as  they less material and more holes therefore less sock ?

If you cut a hole, isn't there still the same amount of material? Just less tight? God I'm overthinking this for a Monday morning 🫣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Antman said:

Cam Pring has done it in the past, it's odd that the players feel the need.

if it were a thing, then surely they would make socks to accomodate this - marginal gains and that.

You’d think… but no, kit manufacturer just gives you the standard socks. You then get the players who cut the whole of the sole off so it’s effectively a tube so they just have a normal pair of socks on their feet in the boot itself, designed so less material and more feel in the boot, normal sock over football sock as usually it’s a comfier material 

21 minutes ago, Antman said:

and why not just roll them down?

Isn't there a rule that you can't ?

As for the holes, this is from'Goal'

Players generally cut holes in their socks in order to reduce pressure on the calf muscles, which are often restricted by the form-fitting, snug nature of the garment.

For players who have bulging leg muscles, socks can prove particularly restrictive, causing difficulties with effective bloodflow and circulation, as well as breathability.

Therefore, players will often move to cut up their socks, in order to remove the problem and help improve their game.

• Thanks 1

Not something I've ever needed to do as I'm not blessed in the calf muscle department, but it's supposedly to reduce pressure / improve circulation.

I've not actually seen it at my level of football, so maybe one trend that isn't catching on.

Cutting off the soles is definitely done though by a lot of people these days, and you can even buy the socks "pre-cut" as a tube design now.

Most kit socks lose their fit after a few washes, especially when you aren't wearing the same ones every week. Makes a big difference to have a more comfortable, and sometimes thinner sock in your boot for a tighter fit and better control.

1 hour ago, Antman said:

and why not just roll them down?

Dont think there's any rule that you can't, see alex scott and jack grealish for example

Downside to wearing your socks round your ankles like that though is the shin pad  sits lower and is effectively pointless.

Interestingly on the topic, the latest trend (as seen by Scott and Grealish) is to wear the smallest pads you can.

These are now available https://gaintheedgeofficial.com/collections/mini-shin-pads/products/mini-shin-pads

Must admit I wear them, as I find bigger pads cumbersome. There's a big push to get them banned in kids football though as obviously they offer less protection area on the shin.

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Shin pads are available with straps these days.iirc Jack Grealish wears them and he’s on the wrong end of some shocking tackles.

Haven't seen anyone wear a shin pad with straps since I was about 10. 

Most people use a sleeve, or I use tubigrip and tape if needed. Generally the socks are tight enough these days to keep the pads up - but obviously why it then becomes restrictive on the calf.

Grealish definitely doesn't wear pads with straps, he's admitted he wears kids pads so a stap wouldn't even fit round his leg.

2 hours ago, Antman said:

Cam Pring has done it in the past, it's odd that the players feel the need.

if it were a thing, then surely they would make socks to accomodate this - marginal gains and that.

It’s just the latest fad like when players used to apply menthol vapour rub onto their shirts 

Some players cut holes in their boots to help with haglin's heel too. 

I don't see an issue but I do wonder why players who struggle with various issues don't have boots heat moulded to help with this instead or with the socks, why manufacturers don't create different versions of socks for players. 

Another fad - I remember when players started wearing "cycling shorts" underneath their usual shorts (late 80's?).  The one that annoys me most is long sleeved base layers under a short sleeved jersey, it looks crap bring back to good old long-sleeved jersey (see also short-sleeved GK jerseys, they just look wrong with gloves) 

It’s happening in local football, someone I know was moaning about players cutting socks recently. Whatever trends happen at pro level often filter all the way down. 
last week we had a message from my girls RTC club about stopping kids wearing micro shin pads and the FA want to discourage their use in grassroots football .