IGNORED

Relegation Battle Thoughts

35 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Ipswich away is probably just a case of how many we lose by....Swansea home is huge in my opinion..we are 16th and they are 12th on current form...lose to them and we are in trouble I feel...we are definitely on the slide...after the last few displays I'm struggling to see where are next 3 points are coming from...very depressing!!

Can actually see us getting something away at Ipswich as mad as that sounds on current form..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We should be OK. Even our current form should see us through. However if that form gets worse then thats where we have to start worrying. 

We are 2nd bottom of the form charts over the last 10 games 

We shouldn’t be drawn into it, but the reality is we should lose three out of the next four on paper and if we do, we are likely to be perilously close to the bottom three and I don’t think the coach has the fight.

I have a feeling a higher than usual total may be required to stay up this year, possibly 52 points, and currently I don’t see where our next point is coming from. Swansea maybe, Blackburn, Rotherham, Huddersfield and Stoke all look must-win for us. 

The good news is it’s in our hands. The bad news is Manning isn’t getting the best out of this honest bunch of players and I’m not sure he has a plan A let alone a plan B. With confidence low, it looks like the perfect storm for relegation. Whether it’s this season or next, time will tell. But it’s nothing more than Tinnion and the Lansdowns deserve. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 points in 5 home games and one win away in 6 sees us through. If that’s too much for us then I don’t know what to say. Let’s say Manning replicates his huge haul of 9 points in 11 which would be criminal really that leaves us on 53 and 99.99% safe (see below) but would also mean for half a season we are on nailed on bottom of the table form (18 in 22) and bookies relegation favourites next season. If it ends up that bad then heads really will HAVE to roll whether Steve wants it or not.

If we only do that SEVEN clubs will be needing 14-15 points from their final eleven games. I can’t see that happening when they all have to play each other. Realistically we need to “turn up” three times more this season.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

My biggest worry is, considering our record against teams below us in the table lately, if we find ourselves with any 6 pointer games, we’ll lose them.

Never thought we’d throw away such a comfortable position so easily.  We’ll likely end up safe but ffs, why do we make it so hard for ourselves?🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I would doubt very much that we can be relegated. We would need to turn into Roherham. We probably need 6 points from 11 games to get to 50. Despite our current form, that should easily be attainable. But relegation, no unless we lose the next 4/5 which is most unlikely. Swansea should suit us. 

I keep seeing current form will save us, our current recent form is Pld 3 Lost 3 scored 1 conceded 4 . 
That isn't going to save us. Those 2 unexpected wins V M'boro and Southampton are the exceptions that you can't rely on being repeated. 

With luck we will scramble together some points soon. But what I worry is that "we won't go down" becomes a mantra at the Club and we sleepwalk into trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

The worry is that our current slump has coincided with teams at the bottom picking up form and results.

Were both trends to continue for too long the worry then becomes that momentum becomes increasingly difficult to reverse.

Agreed. QPR won away again, this time at Leicester and both Stoke and Sheff W won again

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I keep seeing current form will save us, our current recent form is Pld 3 Lost 3 scored 1 conceded 4 . 
That isn't going to save us. Those 2 unexpected wins V M'boro and Southampton are the exceptions that you can't rely on being repeated. 

With luck we will scramble together some points soon. But what I worry is that "we won't go down" becomes a mantra at the Club and we sleepwalk into trouble. 

I think we have been sleepwalking for two months now and I’m hopeful that fan reaction to yesterday in particular, Sid and Jon will be well aware of it now they have a direct line in to the sage of Bristol football, will wake us up a bit. Sid’s career is on the line and Manning will be made aware this week that what he’s producing ain’t good enough. Not even the clowns running us can be so naive that they let it run.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

6 points in 5 home games and one win away in 6 sees us through. If that’s too much for us then I don’t know what to say. Let’s say Manning replicates his huge haul of 9 points in 11

The problem for me is our form and confidence is getting worse by the game so I'm not even confident of him replicating that dismal number of points.

It would be so Bristol City to self inflict relegation on ourselves from a  comfortable position by virtue of yet another poor decision by the Lansdowns.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think we have been sleepwalking for two months now and I’m hopeful that fan reaction to yesterday in particular, Sid and Jon will be well aware of it now they have a direct line in to the sage of Bristol football, will wake us up a bit. Sid’s career is on the line and Manning will be made aware this week that what he’s producing ain’t good enough. Not even the clowns running us can be so naive that they let it run.

Very succinct! 

BT must be worried! 

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The problem for me is our form and confidence is getting worse by the game so I'm not even confident of him replicating that dismal number of points.

It would be so Bristol City to self inflict relegation on ourselves from a  comfortable position by virtue of yet another poor decision by the Lansdowns.

This coincides with Manning having them for longer periods in training. Just sayin!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I can see us picking up enough points THIS season then the fun really starts. A significant overhaul will be required in the summer and the bloke leading us into battle is massively under qualified to do so imo. If we get close to last seasons total (56+) it will stay as it is. If we scrape through Jon and Sid have a very awkward decision to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I didn’t say it was 150/1 on to go down. I said it was 150/1 on paddy power 

You possibly don't understand the parlance of betting terms, maybe.......you have to be careful using the word "on", it's more common to use the word "about", avoids miss-understanding, is all I'm saying .

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

And what price were Leicester to win the Premier League ?

6 of our remaining games are against teams below us and at the moment our ability to break down these teams is non existent.

add to that we don’t look like a squad who have a stomach for this fight and players openly arguing on the pitch which is not a good sign.

yes we probably won’t be relegated but I do think people are being overly confident in claiming it won’t happen

Well, I wouldn't take that bet at 200's .

58 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I can see us picking up enough points THIS season then the fun really starts. A significant overhaul will be required in the summer and the bloke leading us into battle is massively under qualified to do so imo. If we get close to last seasons total (56+) it will stay as it is. If we scrape through Jon and Sid have a very awkward decision to make.

A significant overhaul under this setup could wreck what was decent, still is in patches at time of handover.

We play at least 5 of the teams below us. One win and a couple of draws from those should see us ok, as long as the win isn't against Rotherham. Might have to sit 10 behind the ball A to Stoke on the last day.

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, I wouldn't take that bet at 200's .

And you wouldn’t of bet on Leicester to win the premier league either would you 😀 but it happened.

I’m glad you are so confident and I agree we should be safe but our form is through the floor as is our confidence.

teams below us are going in the right direction picking up points and will have a more positive mindset than our players at the moment.

• Robin 1

31 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If we want to play Bore Ball effectively a significant overhaul will be needed though!!

Putting aside the fact the change should never have been made, my hope was broadly speaking:

*We continue with the kinda tactics that NP and his team used...that is the base.

*Perhaps tweaking between counter pressing v bigger sides and taking the initiative moreso vs bottom 3rd sides, Home v Away etc.

*Still in our 4-3-3 but improving the possession side while keeping what is good ie the intensity, the shape etc.

*ie perhaps 25-30%, becomes 35-40% in such games.

That is just a few but a full on shift to Manningball on the current evidence is a dreadful thought.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside the fact the change should never have been made, my hope was broadly speaking:

*We continue with the kinda tactics that NP and his team used...that ia the food.

*Perhaps tweaking between counter pressing v bigger sides and taking the initiative moreso vs bottom 3rd sides, Home v Away etc.

*Still in our 4-3-3 but improving the possession side while keeping what is good ie the intensity, the shape etc.

*ie perhaps 25-30%, becomes 35-40% in such games.

That is just a few but a full on shift to Manningball on the current evidence is a dreadful thought.

If the hierarchy really are buying into Bore Ball then they have to bring in the players to make it both effective and less boring. Either that or they have to get rid of Manning. There is no halfway house, this Manager has his principles and that is that. His principles and our current squad are totally misaligned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

@Numero Uno I am afraid Crayon Boy and the Accountant are that naive. For goodness sake they made Tinnion Technical Director. Does that suggest switched on footballing folk? A failed League 1 manager, who helped develop the Academy but has done little else. There is no way that they are going to sack Manning this season, even if we are relegated. They have made their decision and they are going to stick by it. Anyway Manning has guided a team to the playoffs in League 1 , so by their reasoning he would be the perfect coach to get us promoted again. That’s how divorced from reality they are!

Just now, Dr Balls said:

@Numero Uno I am afraid Crayon Boy and the Accountant are that naive. For goodness sake they made Tinnion Technical Director. Does that suggest switched on footballing folk? A failed League 1 manager, who helped develop the Academy but has done little else. There is no way that they are going to sack Manning this season, even if we are relegated. They have made their decision and they are going to stick by it. Anyway Manning has guided a team to the playoffs in League 1 , so by their reasoning he would be the perfect coach to get us promoted again. That’s how divorced from reality they are!

If we carry on as it is we are in for one hell of a rough ride next season (assuming obviously we pick up the nine points I now think are required), in fact we could easily do a Rotherham with this manager and a lack of serious investment.

If we end up getting relegated this season then we need to see some 80’s style protests against the dreadful mob supposedly leading this club. There’s a lot of water to pass under the bridge yet but if relegation happens I hope it absolutely kicks off against the Lansdowns.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

Was it Hull who went from play off contenders and then had a disastrous 20 game run which saw them relegated? 

3 hours ago, algenon2007 said:

What are the chances of being drawn into a relegation fight.?

Very likely if we continue in this vein of form.

Given that we have pretty much guaranteed our League One status, might we be looking forward to a couple of derby games next season? After they beat Southampton 3 games ago, the Teds were 4 points from the playoffs and 15 points above the relegation places, since then they've lost 3 on the bounce, 2 to teams then in the relegation places, while all the teams below them have picked up points. Now 12 points from the playoffs and only 6 above the relegation zone, and on an awful run...

stuart1974

Proper Gas

WHERE TEA HOPE

yesterday at 5:16pm

wsmjohn, Dirt Dogg, 

Dont you just love the 6 finger family 

42 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

We play at least 5 of the teams below us. One win and a couple of draws from those should see us ok, as long as the win isn't against Rotherham. Might have to sit 10 behind the ball A to Stoke on the last day.

You're suggesting we might need an attacking performance (for us) on the last day then?

Edited by IAmNick