IGNORED

Relegation Battle Thoughts

2 hours ago, tin said:

We shouldn’t be drawn into it, but the reality is we should lose three out of the next four on paper and if we do, we are likely to be perilously close to the bottom three and I don’t think the coach has the fight. 

Perhaps that’s where Liam is going wrong then - he should be spending less time on the grass and more time on paper. 

We are going to need a few goals, at home to Rotherham and Hudders our best chance imo but maybe they will also need them as well, and more........... now watch us beat dipswitch and lose the rest... its what we do

Edited by mason

50 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

image.png.2b109416e483f784b2b857fb12ce2353.png

IF we don't sort our shit out there are enough games to leave us in the shit! Very improbable though. 

Yeah there seems enough chances to get enough pints there. But if we keep on this run surely BT and crayon boy have someone lined up for the keep us up crisis replacement manager. Or will they watch as we drop?

14 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yeah there seems enough chances to get enough pints there. But if we keep on this run surely BT and crayon boy have someone lined up for the keep us up crisis replacement manager. Or will they watch as we drop?

someone mention pints :drunk2:🍻

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I honestly don’t think they will act before it’s too late. That would be an admission of failure on their part. So is there a real risk that we could go down? Under Manning and the hierarchy at the club, absolutely. And if not this season, then next looks even more of a struggle if Manning stays.

Look how Burnley have struggled under Konpany in the Premier League. This way of playing needs considerably better players than the opposition, which actually means it’s not easily transferable without considerable investment, potentially more than a club can actually afford without significant additional financial means, either being owned by a Petrostate or in the Championship, parachute payments.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Balls said:

I honestly don’t think they will act before it’s too late. That would be an admission of failure on their part. So is there a real risk that we could go down? Under Manning and the hierarchy at the club, absolutely. And if not this season, then next looks even more of a struggle if Manning stays.

Look how Burnley have struggled under Konpany in the Premier League. This way of playing needs considerably better players than the opposition, which actually means it’s not easily transferable without considerable investment, potentially more than a club can actually afford without significant additional financial means, either being owned by a Petrostate or in the Championship, parachute payments.

Brentford can play or have vs middling and lesser sides more of a possession game but they switch m between two shapes for the opposition in the PL.

Thinking when all fit and in their 4-3-3 vs some oppositon they can.. vs better sides it is more of a back 3, counter attacking, perhaps more direct.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Brentford can play or have vs middling and lesser sides more of a possession game but they switch m between two shapes for the opposition in the PL.

Thinking when all fit and in their 4-3-3 vs some oppositon they can.. vs better sides it is more of a back 3, counter attacking, perhaps more direct.

Brentford have some decent players but at times this season they have struggled, whatever system they have played. And let’s be clear Manning is nowhere near Thomas Frank in terms of coaching/managing ability. Nor is he as honest about his own mistakes as Frank when it doesn’t go well on the pitch…

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Brentford have some decent players but at times this season they have struggled, whatever system they have played. And let’s be clear Manning is nowhere near Thomas Frank in terms of coaching/managing ability. Nor is he as honest about his own mistakes as Frank when it doesn’t go well on the pitch…

Largely agree.

Would add, Many injuries this year in key positions, worse than us even. When mostly fit though vs a good third to half of the League maybe they can, in particular at home..literally Not much depth. They've struggled somewhat this season, was thinking more of last and parts of the prior.

Frank also a long way ahead of Manning yes.

Point I was trying to make was Burnley v Man City...there are plenty of in between sides.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Do we go down, manning stays, what do we do with the squad ?

Not looking pretty 😔

43 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

They won’t sack him, even if we go down. 

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Exactly my thoughts. This style / strategy of playing is not suited to ourselves. I think this point is more important than who the manager is.  Every time we have a player good enough to be in a Top Championship team or lower Premier team we sell them and therefore this style will never work for us. You have to have the best players in the League to play this way. 

We could waste a lot of money this summer acquiring players to play a style of football that is virtually guaranteed to fail whoever is managing the club.

Man City have some of the  best players in the world and even with them their games are often a hard watch despite the obvious skill

without top players this style results in backward or sideways passing in your own half as we have all seen recently  It won’t work even with Pep in charge of our squad and attendances at matches will fall very quickly 

Brighton are the best example of a non top Club adopting this style  However I don’t think they would have got the Premier League if they had tried to do that in the Championship without the extra budget you get from parachute payments   They were able to adapt in the Premier League due to a first class recruitment team using their competitive advantage (wages+ access to Premier League) to pull from other European Leagues and the Championship.

Burnley are heading for less points in the Premier League this season under Kompany than they got with Dyche when they were last relegated.  The style doesn’t work without the best players even with a good manager  No doubt Burnley will be OK again next season playing in the Championship but assuming they get promoted again they will have to change style to have a chance of staying up

We MUST NOT Invest in the Manning project. He may or may not be the right person but his strategy of playing is not suited to our budget and is guaranteed to fail and bore us all on match days during the experiment 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GBF said:

Man City have some of the  best players in the world and even with them their games are often a hard watch despite the obvious skill

I read an interesting article the other day, it was explaining how Man City have had to change since Haaland joined .

The piece went into how , because he likes passes to run onto , they have had to adjust to fit,  but it was the description of how they played previously that made me smile.  It went into how they previously strangled the life out of games , I think that was a good description as some of those games were beyond tedious. 
We need Manning to adjust his ideas enough to get the best out of what we have here now. Pep bought Haaland and adjusted to get the best out of him, we had a young exciting striker and LM has basically cut him off at the knees with our tactics. 

I've said before, a good coach gets the best out of what he has available. Manning is doing the opposite ATM.

• Like 1

I agree it’s very unlikely we’ll go down, there’s a lot of teams between us and the bottom 3, despite what the points say.

But I do see us getting within 3 or 4 points of it and from there if we’re in a tail spin, we don’t know how the players and management will react under the pressure and that could see us getting dragged mighty close for comfort, maybe even in as soon as 3 or 4 games time as it’s a tough little block of 4 coming up.

• Like 1

It will be typical Bristol City to win at Ipswich tomorrow night then lose to Swansea.  Regardless, Manning was brought in for the longer term whether we like it or not, hence the 3.5 year deal.  I think the board will be hoping that a couple of wins will put to rest any relegation fears, and the focus within the club will more than likely switch to the summer - with a load of progress and update videos on Stokes, Murphy, and Bird to shift next years season tickets and to divert attention away from the here and now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

image.png.2b109416e483f784b2b857fb12ce2353.png

IF we don't sort our shit out there are enough games to leave us in the shit! Very improbable though. 

Very improbable?

Don't kid yourself, keep losing and we will be well and truly in the scrap to stay up. And those that have been in the bottom four or five all season will be well aware of how to fight for points. Whereas we've been comfortable in mid table all the season.

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

But, I would have lost a fiver, I put a ton on City losing yesterday, that was because it was "do able" , didn't want to win the bet, but hey ho.............but the relegation thing won't happen .

It might, in twelve months time if we don’t get our act together.

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very improbable?

Don't kid yourself, keep losing and we will be well and truly in the scrap to stay up. And those that have been in the bottom four or five all season will be well aware of how to fight for points. Whereas we've been comfortable in mid table all the season.

If you take the emotion out of it, it is very improbable 

15 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very improbable?

I honestly think it is a next-season problem (a win and a couple of draws, we will be fine), but that being said, mathematically, we could get relegated if his form gets markedly worse than it is (yes, it can), Manning's current form, if it rolls over into next season, puts us on about 52 points if it gets much worse puts us in the drop zone.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very improbable?

There isn’t a stat that suggests we’ll lose the next eleven (it’s possible but would fly in the face of everything that’s gone before however bad you think it is). Form since 27th December, a bloody large chunk of the season, where we’ve lost 6 of the 11 played suggests we will literally scrape over the line though.

If we’re looking at typical Bristol City we’ll be safe before Rotherham and be dismal in those last two games!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

But, I would have lost a fiver, I put a ton on City losing yesterday, that was because it was "do able" , didn't want to win the bet, but hey ho.............but the relegation thing won't happen .

Maybe. But if you're looking for a value bet then it has to be up there. I don't gamble, but there is logic to covering it.

• Thanks 1