IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

1 minute ago, lenred said:

That’s a whole different debate which I cannot be arsed with tonight, but just to say they are a league 1 squad with a few key additions.   It’s not an excuse.   

They’re certainly not a league 1 squad now, I bet Leeds and Southampton wish they were, they’re heading for 100 points at the rate they’re going 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I’d love to see some stats to see whether I’m right in thinking that we aren’t looking as fit, but since I posted it earlier people seem to be agreeing.

could that be done to the change of style now that it’s more possession based and slow 

That can’t be right. We changed the regime to avoid de-conditioning of the squad…..

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, CosmosUK said:

Weren’t we in the top 4 for miserly defences in the league before this clown popped up? Yes it’s been better in forward areas at times but I’d rather be grinding out 1-0s and picking up points than this. 

Are we better in forward areas generally? 

Tonight, yes.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

That’s a whole different debate which I cannot be arsed with tonight, but just to say they are a league 1 squad with a few key additions.   It’s not an excuse.   

I think you do them a disservice, the sum of the parts is much much more than a league one squad, as much as it pains me to say it. I’d say that Leeds and Ipswich have been the 2 best teams at AG this season. It might be league one recruited players but they do have a thing going for them. Reminds me a bit Cotterill’s promotion team, they just know how to win and have huge belief that they will regardless.

• Like 2

Gutting to lose after being in such a promising position to go two up , and also be in front fairly late on. Simply not clinical enough and some weak defending let us down. 

Fair play to those that were able to travel all that way, horrible way to lose at the end. Safe travels back. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Yes I did wonder why McCrorie was so far in field challenging for a header which left such a big gap in the right back position

I’ve watched him to it a lot, he is a ball carrier and drifts in field a great deal, but he’s not pacy and when he invariably loses it he’s so out of position. Not overly impressed 

Just now, bexhill reds said:

I think you do them a disservice, the sum of the parts is much much more than a league one squad, as much as it pains me to say it. I’d say that Leeds and Ipswich have been the 2 best teams at AG this season. It might be league one recruited players but they do have a thing going for them. Reminds me a bit Cotterill’s promotion team, they just know how to win and have huge belief that they will regardless.

I said they are a League 1 squad with a few key additions. If I’d put a ‘League 1 promotion winning squad’ would that make it better? I thought that was obvious but evidently not! It’s what they are.  It’s factual.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Watched it with two Ipswich fans, which was interesting for a couple of reasons (1) it was available on Ipswich Town TV, not sure how they can show it while Robins TV couldn’t (2) they were genuinely astonished by how many of our throw ins went directly to an Ipswich player!

We've got to be one the worst in the league for throw ins. We are so poor at a very basic part of the game that you have more than anything else in a match. No runners into space and invariably throw it down the line to a defender. I've yet to see a well worked thrown in this season. 

• Like 3

A better performance……yes

Another defeat……yes

Sunday bigger for Manning than us, overall…..yea, I think it will be

We/he simply must get a win on Sunday as after that, we have WBA away and then Leicester home.

Now we are only six points off of 2nd bottom with many teams below us, picking up points.

Lets hope that WBA and dare I say, Cardiff can do us a favour tomorrow night!

Edited by Loosey Boy
3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

It was a crazy comment, a league one squad who couldn’t even win league 1 last year !!!!

Once Ipswich had a sniff of victory we were undone. As someone previously said we were beaten by pace pure and simple. Just like against Leeds we could not handle it. It gives defenders nightmares. 
I thought we played well overall - just were beaten by a better team who didn’t dwell on the ball and just pushed forward at every opportunity especially in the 2nd half.

Somehow we need to pick ourselves up. It’s frustrating as hell being a City fan but we have to get behind Manning and believe in his vision. We have some talented young players in the squad and although the gap between us and relegation has closed of late we are far from being one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

Win 3 out of the 4 home games against Swansea, Blackburn, Huddersfield and Rotherham and pick up a point or two elsewhere and we will be safe.

Then see what happens in the summer transfer window. But give Manning time - he will come good.

8 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

I’ve watched him to it a lot, he is a ball carrier and drifts in field a great deal, but he’s not pacy and when he invariably loses it he’s so out of position. Not overly impressed 

Yes, I don’t want to pass judgement too quickly as he hasn’t had the smoothest of starts here.

But was it £2M we spent on him ? If so that’s looking pricey at the moment 

Watching Ipswich ride this promotion momentum wave is also a gutting tale of what should have been with Cotts.

Have to also add how terrible their home support was. Started reasonably well but from about minute 15 to minute 85 they were shockingly quiet.

Also amazed with their record how many left early at 2-2.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

They’re certainly not a league 1 squad now, I bet Leeds and Southampton wish they were, they’re heading for 100 points at the rate they’re going 

They're overachieving wildly. Crest of a wave, perfect storm.

They stay down and I hope they do, they will be less turbo-charged next year. Sure of it.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

We need to learn the dark arts. Played well this evening but are far too honest. The free kick given against Vyner is 50/50 both players pulling each other yet Ref decides Zak is in the wrong! El Hamadi is not only holding but backing in then throws himself to floor so should have been our free kick if anything. 
It appears that the team that dives throws themselves to the floor at the slightest contact gets the referees vote ! 
Lots of positives from tonight’s game however think 🤔 we are now in a relegation fight 

42 minutes ago, George Rs said:

What really annoys me is if we played like that against any of the last 3 we probably would’ve won them all, or at least got points. 

And it happens over and over. Why on earth can we only play better than average against the better teams? 

📺

2 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

We need to learn the dark arts. Played well this evening but are far too honest.

Weirdly I thought we were quite ‘good’ (for want of a better word) at this tonight.   Lots of time being taken to take set pieces, throw ins, injuries etc.  Crowd were getting wound right up with it!  

14 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

We've got to be one the worst in the league for throw ins. We are so poor at a very basic part of the game that you have more than anything else in a match. No runners into space and invariably throw it down the line to a defender. I've yet to see a well worked thrown in this season. 

This was said on a thread recently so tonight I paid more attention. Shocking! Worst is when it's thrown and bounces waist height 

• Like 1

Manning loves a 60th min sub. Shame he didn’t think of a sub after going 2.1 up, anyone who watches Ipswich knows how strong they finish games.  

Manning loves a 60th min sub. Shame he didn’t think of a sub after going 2.1 up, anyone who watches Ipswich knows how strong they finish games.  

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

A better performance……yes

Another defeat……yes

Sunday bigger for Manning than us, overall…..yea, I think it will be

We/he simply must get a win on Sunday as after that, we have WBA away and then Leicester home.

Now the only six points off of 2nd bottom with many teams below us, picking up points.

Lets hope that WBA and dare I say, Cardiff can do us a favour tomorrow night!

We are already hoping that other teams will do us a favour. That’s worrying in itself. 

Another worry is that we are sleep walking into relegation and the owners will do nothing to relieve the situation because sacking Manning would prove that they got things very wrong. So the next worry is that they won’t do it. And even if they did pull the trigger, I have no faith that they would get someone decent in even on a short term basis. The worst option would be Tinnion as a caretaker manager, but I wouldn’t even put that past them because they seem to know so little about football, seem in thrall to  Tinnion, and are so unaware of the opinions and feelings of supporters.

I don’t think Manning will be sacked if we lose on Sunday. But lose that game and the game against West Brom that would be 6 games lost in a row and the PPG would be down to 1 exactly, which is usually quoted as relegation form, achieved over exactly half a season. That really should lead to a parting of the ways, even for the Lansdowns. With an international break after the West Brom game, that would also be the ideal time to get rid of Mannjng and his team so as to bring in someone experienced short term just to keep us in the Championship.

• Like 1

Shame about the result from a very good performance.

Burns made all the difference 

Very soft free kick for their 2nd

Looked like cam got the ball for the pen, in the build up one of our players was dragged back and stopped getting to the ball, but ref ignored.

Those trying to big up ipswich saying they could have had more, but fail to mention nakki miss or Mehmeti great effort.

Those using that ipswich made changes and we did not react, seem to have forgot Conway and Skyes combined for our 2nd, but also look at the players ipswich were able to get in January. Maybe Roberts on would have been good, but maybe not

7 minutes ago, OldDolmanRed said:

Once Ipswich had a sniff of victory we were undone. As someone previously said we were beaten by pace pure and simple. Just like against Leeds we could not handle it. It gives defenders nightmares. 
I thought we played well overall - just were beaten by a better team who didn’t dwell on the ball and just pushed forward at every opportunity especially in the 2nd half.

Somehow we need to pick ourselves up. It’s frustrating as hell being a City fan but we have to get behind Manning and believe in his vision. We have some talented young players in the squad and although the gap between us and relegation has closed of late we are far from being one of the 3 worst teams in the league.

Win 3 out of the 4 home games against Swansea, Blackburn, Huddersfield and Rotherham and pick up a point or two elsewhere and we will be safe.

Then see what happens in the summer transfer window. But give Manning time - he will come good.

Whilst I’m fairly confident still we won’t go down, what have you seen that gives you any confidence we’ll go from winning 35% of all home games this season to suddenly a 60% return from the last 5 games?

Especially given we can’t beat poor teams who sit in, which is exactly what those 4 teams are likely to do.

10 minutes ago, OldDolmanRed said:

I can very confidently predict that we will not win 3 out of the 4 games you have mentioned. We might win one but any team wanting to get a result at Ashton Gate just needs to defend deep and either hit us with speed on the break or nick a goal from a set piece.

And Manning won’t come good at this level with us. It’s the equivalent of Kompany at Burnley in the Premier League - the wrong tactics for the players considering the level at which they are playing. And the same results - defeat after defeat!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

We need to learn the dark arts. Played well this evening but are far too honest. The free kick given against Vyner is 50/50 both players pulling each other yet Ref decides Zak is in the wrong! El Hamadi is not only holding but backing in then throws himself to floor so should have been our free kick if anything. 
It appears that the team that dives throws themselves to the floor at the slightest contact gets the referees vote ! 
Lots of positives from tonight’s game however think 🤔 we are now in a relegation fight 

Ref was poor all night playing to the ipswich fans, sure he will be invited to have a bottle or red with Ashton to celebrate 

• Like 3