IGNORED

Ipswich view

Talking to a couple of Ipswich fans in the hotel bar this evening.

Just some context, in terms of their judgement: we asked what they thought of Mark Ashton: “t w a t”.

Then, can we have Wes Burns back. “Only if we can have Liam Manning back when McKenna gets poached”

Really? Yes: “you’ve got a top coach, one of the best……give him til this time next season and you’ll be glad you did…….best organised side here this season”

Just saying. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 4
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Just some context, in terms of their judgement: we asked what they thought of Mark Ashton: “t w a t”.

Then, can we have Wes Burns back. “Only if we can have Liam Manning back when McKenna gets poached”

Really? Yes: “you’ve got a top coach, one of the best……give him til this time next season and you’ll be glad you did…….best organised side here this season”

Just saying. 

Sacked by MK Dons in League 1 

Wasn’t at Oxford anywhere near long enough to make a real judgement call 

lost 10 in his first 21 here 

They are basing their assumptions on what exactly? 

He has come here with a very similar pedigree to Lee Johnson and look how that turned out .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 6

Interesting with Manning tbh. Coventry fans I saw on my feed on Twitter a week or 2 ago seemed to intimate that we had made a shrewd move replacing NP with Manning.

Bizarre take for sure?? Maybe I'll go back and ask, seems a strange take to say the least and looks stranger by the week. I completely disagree with their analysis of course.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

He has come here with a very similar pedigree to Lee Johnson and look how that turned out .

Lee Johnson: Great job at Oldham turning perennial relegation battlers into a solid upper midtable side. Got a move to Barnsley, poor run followed by a brilliant run, left them in a good position and they got promoted.

Liam Manning: Play offs with MK Done followed by a sacking in the relegation zone and they indeed went down. Appointed Oxford manager, saved them from relegation and had them challenging after a low number of games, now fading after he left.

Whose CV was better at the time of joining us? Probably Johnson as he had more consistent improvement in his sides 

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Just saying. 

What were they drinking? 

• Haha 3

Its clear that manning signed a top championship number 10 and hasnt been able to play him, and the idiots in charge didnt sign the striker it was obvious we needed in January.. perhaps those 2, certainly twine being injured, has really impacted us and the way he wants us to play.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

I have no doubt that Manning is a great coach.

I have no doubt we need a manager, not a coach.

What example of great coaching have you seen in a side that has regressed? Cannot defend anymore and create very little. 

Edited by Shauntaylor85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

They are basing opinion of Manning on what they watched last night-

One match.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

Just saying. 

I was also told the same thing when i bumped into Pep Guardiola at Lidl

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

They are basing opinion of Manning on what they watched last night-

One match.

To be fair, they’re not.

The consistent opinion from my Ipswich supporting mate has been that Manning is the real deal. It’s based on two main factors 

- Last night wasn’t the first time a Manning team has played well against Ipswich - the same happened at Dons. He seems to know how to set up against McKenna (no huge shocks as theyre mates and I’d imagine talk regularly), and when Ipswich are used to dominating teams, a coach who comes and nullifies them will stand out

- On a broader basis they’re basing it on the prior coaching connections at Ipswich. He came through there as a young coach and had a decent reputation. Totally different game coaching academy footballers to managing a game though 

My mate has been steadfast in his support of Manning - he keeps telling me he’ll “turn it around” and “sort us out”. There is also a lot of stock on the “turnaround” at Oxford which appears built on sand. My view is that there isn’t - or wasn’t until Manning started coaching us - anything to turn round or sort out, and we’ve seen more of a consistent shitshow than they have in the academy/odd games to form a valid view.

So, not one game but a flawed view on a greater sample. Kind of like when we thought signing Carl Hutchings would be a good idea!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, they’re not.

The consistent opinion from my Ipswich supporting mate has been that Manning is the real deal. It’s based on two main factors 

- Last night wasn’t the first time a Manning team has played well against Ipswich - the same happened at Dons. He seems to know how to set up against McKenna (no huge shocks as theyre mates and I’d imagine talk regularly), and when Ipswich are used to dominating teams, a coach who comes and nullifies them will stand out

- On a broader basis they’re basing it on the prior coaching connections at Ipswich. He came through there as a young coach and had a decent reputation. Totally different game coaching academy footballers to managing a game though 

My mate has been steadfast in his support of Manning - he keeps telling me he’ll “turn it around” and “sort us out”. There is also a lot of stock on the “turnaround” at Oxford which appears built on sand. My view is that there isn’t - or wasn’t until Manning started coaching us - anything to turn round or sort out, and we’ve seen more of a consistent shitshow than they have in the academy/odd games to form a valid view.

So, not one game but a flawed view on a greater sample. Kind of like when we thought signing Carl Hutchings would be a good idea!

Manning might be a great coach but we really need a manager

• Like 2

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

Just saying. 

Fair play to them watching our previous 3 games in full. Could you ask them what they thought of our performances/gameplans in those fixtures? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Read it online, or heard it from bloke down the pub, ergo, must be true. 

Less League experience than Johnson too.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting with Manning tbh. Coventry fans I saw on my feed on Twitter a week or 2 ago seemed to intimate that we had made a shrewd move replacing NP with Manning.

Bizarre take for sure?? Maybe I'll go back and ask, seems a strange take to say the least and looks stranger by the week. I completely disagree with their analysis of course.

7 hours ago, italian dave said:

Apparently people at Oxford would love him back too.

Form an orderly queue to the left 👈  to drive him to his chosen destination.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, they’re not.

Does your mate also think Mark Ashton is a t w a t? (A less commonly held view in Ipswich). If so, I think I might have met him last night?!

You’re right: it was based on far far more than just one match! They’ve followed his career and were able to talk about other City games this season.

On that last point about a turn around. I’d agree with you - up to a point. But two things

1. There was no need to turn things around on the pitch, on the football front. But I think most of us feel that the change came about because of things elsewhere. And if that was about breakdowns of relationship and trust then there was a need for change. And you can argue til you’re blue in the face about where that change needed to be, but it was only ever going to end one way. And, of course, any change at that level in the footballing side is going to come with change there too.

2. Whilst what you say may be true, and there was no need for change, the fact is that there was. And that will take time. Hence their view being about this time next season, not now. 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Does your mate also think Mark Ashton is a t w a t? (A less commonly held view in Ipswich). If so, I think I might have met him last night?!

You’re right: it was based on far far more than just one match! They’ve followed his career and were able to talk about other City games this season.

On that last point about a turn around. I’d agree with you - up to a point. But two things

1. There was no need to turn things around on the pitch, on the football front. But I think most of us feel that the change came about because of things elsewhere. And if that was about breakdowns of relationship and trust then there was a need for change. And you can argue til you’re blue in the face about where that change needed to be, but it was only ever going to end one way. And, of course, any change at that level in the footballing side is going to come with change there too.

2. Whilst what you say may be true, and there was no need for change, the fact is that there was. And that will take time. Hence their view being about this time next season, not now. 

Don’t disagree @italian dave The problem we have is that we have gone from a “mid table team looking up at the playoffs and hoping” to a “mid table team in a relatively long run of terrible form looking over our shoulder at the relegation zone and worrying as we slip closer towards it”.

The current league position gives a very false sense of security and given the games we have coming up the grounds for any optimism are rapidly disappearing if not already gone. Everything will look OK to the owner until he suddenly realises too late that it’s not!

Lee Johnson’s four year tenure saw a significant shift, from the club being a yo-yo Championship relegation/L1 promotion club to being an established mid table (even, dare I say it, top half!) Championship club.

If we can get a similar degree of shift out of a four year Liam Manning tenure (to yo-yo PL/Championship) then I for one will be happy. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Don’t disagree @italian dave The problem we have is that we have gone from a “mid table team looking up at the playoffs and hoping” to a “mid table team in a relatively long run of terrible form looking over our shoulder at the relegation zone and worrying as we slip closer towards it”.

The current league position gives a very false sense of security and given the games we have coming up the grounds for any optimism are rapidly disappearing if not already gone. Everything will look OK to the owner until he suddenly realises too late that it’s not!

But that’s a view based on four games. You wouldn’t have been saying that four games ago. This is talking next season/four years!

Clearly there’s a scenario where we simply lose the next four then the next four but a) I don’t think that will happen and b) I’m not convinced that yet another change at the top in the midst of that would really help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One Team said:

Other fans seem to perceive him as the English Pep in waiting. He may well be successful at some point; it just doesn’t feel like it will be with us. 

He’ll probably learn all the necessary lessons here before going on to win the Champion’s League and World Cup . 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, italian dave said:

Just saying. 

Hate to break it you, but I think they were taking the piss out of you mate...

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Bristol Sport employees infiltrating hotels now 😳 this is getting serious!!

It’s certainly true that Scott Murray’s van was parked out the back!! But I think wearing Ipswich coats might be taking it too far…..and anyway, pretty sure I’d have spotted it was him 😂😂

• Haha 1