IGNORED

If not Manning, then whom?

12 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Mike Williamson at MK Dons. 

I think the problem with this kind of appointment is he's still early career, I think our club needs someone who is confident and has the experience to demand respect from the players. I do see this as another issue that Liam Manning has, he's come in and replaced Nigel Pearson, Pearson who demands respect but it also respectful to those who earn his. I don't see why our players would respect Manning, he's not done anything of worth that the players can respect and he talks football like it's all very simple to figure out.

I personally think we need someone with experience but also who can command respect.

12 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I'd give it to Frank Lampard.  I was hoping he'd get the job last time round.

Like him or not, it would enhance City's reputation again and he'd be able to secure a decent batch of Chelsea youngsters!

I think he was very impressive at this level with Derby.

I think I'd actually rather stick with Manning, I can't stand Lampard as a manager, amazing player but I feel like his win percentages are very boosted by the fact that he managed Derby at a time when they had a squad more than capable of promotion, then Chelsea when they were a much stronger squad. My brother is an Everton fan and for me Everton was the first real job he had that was difficult and he barely kept them in the Premier League and then went on to only win 1 in 11 the following season before he was let go.
I think Lampards name comes from playing and I don't think the players would see him as a manager, but more of a coach with a wealth of playing experience. I'm sure the media would take notice of us but do we want the media that Birmingham got recently with Rooney? Essentially that went down like a lead balloon.

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Michael Duff.

For me this is the best option we have and although his win percentage with Swansea was not great I think it was not the right club for him. Realistically there aren't a lot of better options and I think whilst his experience isn't the level we need he's still the best option as I don't see us getting another Pearson-like manager who is willing to stand up to the board and I don't think the board will hire another manager like that until we're really in a desperate situation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

The sooner we appoint Whom, the better.

At least we know Bell will toll for him.

But he'll probably be snapped up to replace Moyes at West Whom.

Would you have respected my post more had it been mis-spelled and grammatically poor?

For me it has to be someone with experience of getting a club into the Premier League, or similar abroad. 

Other clubs have snapped up some of the obvious candidates there, but I would think Cooper is probably the one who would be available.

Personally I think Lansdown will hang on to Manning as long as possible and hope we miss relegation. 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

I think the problem with this kind of appointment is he's still early career, I think our club needs someone who is confident and has the experience to demand respect from the players. I do see this as another issue that Liam Manning has, he's come in and replaced Nigel Pearson, Pearson who demands respect but it also respectful to those who earn his. I don't see why our players would respect Manning, he's not done anything of worth that the players can respect and he talks football like it's all very simple to figure out.

I personally think we need someone with experience but also who can command respect.

I think I'd actually rather stick with Manning, I can't stand Lampard as a manager, amazing player but I feel like his win percentages are very boosted by the fact that he managed Derby at a time when they had a squad more than capable of promotion, then Chelsea when they were a much stronger squad. My brother is an Everton fan and for me Everton was the first real job he had that was difficult and he barely kept them in the Premier League and then went on to only win 1 in 11 the following season before he was let go.
I think Lampards name comes from playing and I don't think the players would see him as a manager, but more of a coach with a wealth of playing experience. I'm sure the media would take notice of us but do we want the media that Birmingham got recently with Rooney? Essentially that went down like a lead balloon.

For me this is the best option we have and although his win percentage with Swansea was not great I think it was not the right club for him. Realistically there aren't a lot of better options and I think whilst his experience isn't the level we need he's still the best option as I don't see us getting another Pearson-like manager who is willing to stand up to the board and I don't think the board will hire another manager like that until we're really in a desperate situation.

I actually do agree with you here, I made the suggestion just based off what the club have said about what they want from a coach young upcoming coach.....But Williamson is slightly different to manning where he has played and at a decent level, The Lampards and Rooneys not a chance i would want them near our club. Michael Duff is a great suggestion. 

14 hours ago, cellist said:

I wouldn't put it past them to reappoint LJ on a short term basis. I can see them marketing it as unfinished business. I have that little confidence in SL/JL/BT to read the room.

Don't think they would do it, but can't rule it out. Which tells its own story. Trust in them is very low.

Don't think any change will be made this season though. Not much improvement will be required for us to be mathematically safe with 2 or 3 games to spare. If we lose every single one and are in with a chance of going down by then, they may just pull the trigger. But we'd have to a) be mathematically in danger with 2 or 3 to go and b) show no signs of getting any points. Even last night we could have got 1 if not 3, so I suspect he'll survive. Don't personally believe that he should, but given how expensive it would be to sack him and how foolish they'd look, I think they'll back him.

Of course, they all look like fools anyway.

End of the season can't come quickly enough, just so I can stop thinking about Bristol City FC for a while. What a sad state of affairs.

Animated GIF

Tbh last year played Swansea at home got on the AG3 and everyone was saying we need Nigel out he ain’t got a clue, we all saw him turning a corner this year but he’s not here, want someone else out. Look at Arsenal when Arteta came in and then they stuck with him, I’m not comparing him to Arteta nor was Arsenal going down but the next year,  took the league by storm and growing each year, so giving it time I dunno, we are a mid table/ forever flirting with relegation. Always think we are better than we are and yes we deserve better, but we’re just little Bristol City again

21 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Tbh last year played Swansea at home got on the AG3 and everyone was saying we need Nigel out he ain’t got a clue, we all saw him turning a corner this year but he’s not here, want someone else out. Look at Arsenal when Arteta came in and then they stuck with him, I’m not comparing him to Arteta nor was Arsenal going down but the next year,  took the league by storm and growing each year, so giving it time I dunno, we are a mid table/ forever flirting with relegation. Always think we are better than we are and yes we deserve better, but we’re just little Bristol City again

Arteta, Pearson, both strong with gameplan and tactics but took time to find what suited them, Manning is a paint by numbers manager, he's so generic and lacking. 

We could give Manning 5 years and at best I'd imagine us mid table of the Championship, more realistically I see us potentially dropping into League One with him being sacked with 3-4 months left in a season further into his position here. 

Mannings issues are that he blames players for not getting results when he's the reason they couldn't perform as he's set us up in a style that we don't have the suited players to play. That'll piss players off and quite possibly demotivate them as they know they're capable of better but they're being ha stringed. 

Mannng is also slow to read the game and makes any impactful changes. There are times when the commentary teams have picked up on what's going wrong and still, he doesn't react and then we go on the lose or give up a good lead. If the commentary teams are picking up on the issues when the coach is not then there is a real problem. 

I was thinking to myself the other day how maybe I'm just not seeing something so I asked a few of my mates who support other championship teams to join me on discord for a few of them and have them access us to get a non fan based view on our set up. They said when we don't have the ball we look more dangerous than when we do have it, asked to elaborate they said when we get the ball we just go side to side or backwards until we lose the ball or until the opposition get a foot on it but fail to retain which creates an opening. With the Ipswich game they all said we looked far better when the gameplay was "frantic" to which I think is what happens when the game is opened up by the opposition attacking us rather than getting men behind the ball. 

I mean the TLDR is Mannings tactics are not showing us signs of life, the left over instincts of Pearson spending years to teach our lads to play on the counter is where we show up, Mannings slow build, passing game is where we're falling apart. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Arteta, Pearson, both strong with gameplan and tactics but took time to find what suited them, Manning is a paint by numbers manager, he's so generic and lacking. 

We could give Manning 5 years and at best I'd imagine us mid table of the Championship, more realistically I see us potentially dropping into League One with him being sacked with 3-4 months left in a season further into his position here. 

Mannings issues are that he blames players for not getting results when he's the reason they couldn't perform as he's set us up in a style that we don't have the suited players to play. That'll piss players off and quite possibly demotivate them as they know they're capable of better but they're being ha stringed. 

Mannng is also slow to read the game and makes any impactful changes. There are times when the commentary teams have picked up on what's going wrong and still, he doesn't react and then we go on the lose or give up a good lead. If the commentary teams are picking up on the issues when the coach is not then there is a real problem. 

I was thinking to myself the other day how maybe I'm just not seeing something so I asked a few of my mates who support other championship teams to join me on discord for a few of them and have them access us to get a non fan based view on our set up. They said when we don't have the ball we look more dangerous than when we do have it, asked to elaborate they said when we get the ball we just go side to side or backwards until we lose the ball or until the opposition get a foot on it but fail to retain which creates an opening. With the Ipswich game they all said we looked far better when the gameplay was "frantic" to which I think is what happens when the game is opened up by the opposition attacking us rather than getting men behind the ball. 

I mean the TLDR is Mannings tactics are not showing us signs of life, the left over instincts of Pearson spending years to teach our lads to play on the counter is where we show up, Mannings slow build, passing game is where we're falling apart. 

Insightful!! Like a lot

1 hour ago, Spike said:

It’s not just pros on RTV, plenty of OTIB appear to have more in-game nous than our own head-coach, assistant head-coach and coach-analyst.  If they are seeing it, why aren’t they reacting?  They are the ones not being brave, or to quote @headhunter - they are being “pig-headed”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 06/03/2024 at 13:57, beaverface said:

Why does it have to be someone new?

Swallow his pride, and Lansdown needs to go and get back the previous coaching set up.

Our squad has been built for their philosophies, so let's attempt to get things back on track.

I'm suspecting there's been some "tensions" between NP and others, so look to resolve those, either by letting someone go, change/revert their positions, or recruit accordingly.

Can't we make Jon Lansdown an honourary president or something, and bring in a proper chairman? Likewise, bring in a proper experienced CEO and get Tinnion back to what he's good at.

And what is Tinnion good at ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not just pros on RTV, plenty of OTIB appear to have more in-game nous than our own head-coach, assistant head-coach and coach-analyst.  If they are seeing it, why aren’t they reacting?  They are the ones not being brave, or to quote @headhunter - they are being “pig-headed”.

I think the thing here is the aspect of “real time”. It’s one thing to see, another to react.

Put it this way - we’re told Liam is constantly up until 3am watching videos (no, not those videos). I’d imagine that post Ipswich he watched the game and then what happened on the quadruple sub, and the obvious moves hit him. So, if in “NFL” style he had breaks between play after an opponent changes, he’d probably figure it out.

The issue is that he prepares hugely. But when a change happens, he can’t react - however I’d bet a dime to a dozen he’d be able to tell you exactly what went wrong today.

• Like 2

On 07/03/2024 at 08:14, One Team said:

For me it has to be someone with experience of getting a club into the Premier League, or similar abroad. 

Other clubs have snapped up some of the obvious candidates there, but I would think Cooper is probably the one who would be available.

Personally I think Lansdown will hang on to Manning as long as possible and hope we miss relegation. 

Yes ok give LM summer goings and comings. And pre season with the squad and give him till Christmas 2024. Even if it brings relegation seems a dangerous plan. The fan base will slaughtered. But I feel SL sees that a cheaper option than a known manager with experience of path to the premiership and premiership squad. Which will hurt his next  egg. I just not sure where it goes next . Pretty soon we will need a crisis relagation getter out of manager . Which I sure not come cheap. And while there is manager juggling going on what happens to crayon boy and BT?

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the thing here is the aspect of “real time”. It’s one thing to see, another to react.

Put it this way - we’re told Liam is constantly up until 3am watching videos (no, not those videos). I’d imagine that post Ipswich he watched the game and then what happened on the quadruple sub, and the obvious moves hit him. So, if in “NFL” style he had breaks between play after an opponent changes, he’d probably figure it out.

The issue is that he prepares hugely. But when a change happens, he can’t react - however I’d bet a dime to a dozen he’d be able to tell you exactly what went wrong today.

12/1 odds are quite generous SD.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yes this had occurred to me too.

If he'd been allowed to hit pause at Ipswich, go away and study some video, clip bits for the players, give a presentation... then go back and say "OK ref, we can start again now", then we might have come home with something.

But football isn't a computer game.

Part of his job is to react - in real time - to what's happening in front of him.

Looks like he can't.

Something you can learn?

Maybe but if so, Bristol City are yet again just some Finishing School for novices. Brilliant.

He's basically a Coach.

We need a Manager. A leader.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I imagine he’s quite good at developing a game plan and tactics but seems to forget there is another team out there with a plan of their own.

Just doesn’t seem to be able to react. His latest comments even suggest that. If only the opposition did what they’re supposed to. 

• Like 5

If Manning is let go, and by some miracle Tinns was removed. We could do worse than Mark Warburton in as DoF. 

Then I wouldn't mind a younger/inexperienced coach out of work but would be a bit of a statement - Van Nistelrooy as an example.

Leave me alone - I can be optimistic in my dreams.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excellent shout.

+++++

Plus the forum positivity from bread gags too.  Win-win!

It is a sensible suggestion @Fuber

Ex City trader so no mug , Academy background and decent amount of managing at this level too

You would think he has a decent experience in key areas and a good chance of a decent , sensible perspective 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2