IGNORED

If not Manning, then whom?

Seriously - we binned a manager, rightly or wrongly, and appointed a risky replacement.

Smarter people than me, the likes of @Davefevs - who is not prone to pulling triggers- are saying it's change time again. But change...to whom? Or what? Does Tinnion have to go, too? 

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Seriously - we binned a manager, rightly or wrongly, and appointed a risky replacement.

Smarter people than me, the likes of @Davefevs - who is not prone to pulling triggers- are saying it's change time again. But change...to whom? Or what? Does Tinnion have to go, too? 

Tinnion has to go. A proper Technical Director with qualifications and experience recruited. Two managers looking for work atm are Duff and Cooper. Cooper won’t be allowed near it by Stevie Boy cos he’ll want dosh to spend. In addition we could look at the foreign manager market. What we can’t do next is appoint wet behind the ears and easy to tactically manipulate.

• Like 10
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Michael Duff.

Yep, I’d go with that. Myself and Fevs have both come up with that name as someone who is a better fit for this squad (and importantly we’re a far better fit for him than Swansea were).

Out of work, available. It’d be a name I wouldn’t be unamenable to.

• Like 3

This is one of the reasons why I am not Manning out.

The ideal answer is Pearson or other strong type of manager as a counterbalance to the weakness above in the structure. But that is not going to happen.

I don't see any type of young coach that they seem to want being any better than Manning.

First things first, TINNION OUT 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Tinnion has to go. A proper Technical Director with qualifications and experience recruited. Two managers looking for work atm are Duff and Cooper. Cooper won’t be allowed near it by Stevie Boy cos he’ll want dosh to spend. In addition we could look at the foreign manager market. What we can’t do next is appoint wet behind the ears and easy to tactically manipulate.

I doubt Cooper would give us a second glance tbh.

Will Still, because he likes computer games and so do I.

He also said he'd be open to managing in the Championship recently:

"I would work for a Championship team without a problem,” said Still. “What I’ve now understood, I’ve now realised, is how important people are. And how important finding the right place to be is going to be for my career. And people who understand the way I work, because I’m a bit different. I’m a bit odd sometimes. But if there’s a Championship club that’s ambitious, that wants to work in the right way and be open and honest about things, and really try and push to get somewhere, then I would love to do that."

He operates in our environment:

“Because of the DNA of the club, and the way the club is run, we get players in and then sell them,” Still explains. “So, every six months to a year, you just have to renew the whole squad and the whole team. And that’s what happened again here in January. Basically, we sold our best player and we’re now looking to find a new balance.”

"“We were basically stripped down to bare bones — playing with kids,” Still says. “Which was really interesting, but makes life a bit more complicated.” On January 21, Reims went to third-tier Sochaux in the last 32 of the French Cup. They finished the game with eight players from the second team on the pitch and were beaten 5-4 on penalties after a 2-2 draw."

And he kind of gets where we are at the moment as well:

“You can either make a bit of money and sell players, stay a stable club in Ligue 1 where we finish between eighth and 12th, or you decide to really push on, keep your best players, do that for a year or two, get into European competitions, and make your money.” The club is left at a strategic crossroads.

• Like 4

Just now, Northern Red said:

I doubt Cooper would give us a second glance tbh.

Not if he had to work under Sid, that’s for sure. Put a structure in place and he might give it some thought but he couldn’t work for us - Steve wouldn’t have that after two and a half years of Nige.

• Like 1

Why does it have to be someone new?

Swallow his pride, and Lansdown needs to go and get back the previous coaching set up.

Our squad has been built for their philosophies, so let's attempt to get things back on track.

I'm suspecting there's been some "tensions" between NP and others, so look to resolve those, either by letting someone go, change/revert their positions, or recruit accordingly.

Can't we make Jon Lansdown an honourary president or something, and bring in a proper chairman? Likewise, bring in a proper experienced CEO and get Tinnion back to what he's good at.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

This is one of the reasons why I am not Manning out.

The ideal answer is Pearson or other strong type of manager as a counterbalance to the weakness above in the structure. But that is not going to happen.

I don't see any type of young coach that they seem to want being any better than Manning.

First things first, TINNION OUT 

I agree Tinnion out but you’re essentially making the argument Ian Gay made on FBC this morning - because the board are crap, then you don’t replace the manager.

Respectfully, that’s nonsense.

Liam has proven to be not the man. I’m not sure anyone could do be markedly worse now, and the vast majority are likely to be much better as they’ll play to the squads strengths and not a dogmatic ideology.

Losing Tinnion may take time. Losing Lansdown takes longer. But losing Manning has to happen soon.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, beaverface said:

Why does it have to be someone new?

Swallow his pride, and Lansdown needs to go and get back the previous coaching set up.

Our squad has been built for their philosophies, so let's attempt to get things back on track.

I'm suspecting there's been some "tensions" between NP and others, so look to resolve those, either by letting someone go, change/revert their positions, or recruit accordingly.

Can't we make Jon Lansdown an honourary president or something, and bring in a proper chairman? Likewise, bring in a proper experienced CEO and get Tinnion back to what he's good at.

All water under the bridge. Will never happen.

• Sad 1

If we continue to believe that changing one person waves a magic wand we will get the same results. The club requires a top-to-bottom review of all of its operations.

But you need someone to lead that who understands elite sport/business and there will be a need to rock the boat. 

I cannot see that happening under the current ownership. In 2 decades it has not transpired, so why would it start now? 

If we carry on, along the same route we are currently travelling, we will be revisiting L1. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, RollsRoyce said:

If we continue to believe that changing one person waves a magic wand we will get the same results. The club requires a top-to-bottom review of all of its operations.

But you need someone to lead that who understands elite sport/business and there will be a need to rock the boat. 

I cannot see that happening under the current ownership. In 2 decades it has not transpired, so why would it start now? 

If we carry on, along the same route we are currently travelling, we will be revisiting L1. 

It’s when not if.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree Tinnion out but you’re essentially making the argument Ian Gay made on FBC this morning - because the board are crap, then you don’t replace the manager.

Respectfully, that’s nonsense.

Liam has proven to be not the man. I’m not sure anyone could do be markedly worse now, and the vast majority are likely to be much better as they’ll play to the squads strengths and not a dogmatic ideology.

Losing Tinnion may take time. Losing Lansdown takes longer. But losing Manning has to happen soon.

Indeed it does. Lose against Swansea and they will need to act. Our post NP point performance per game has decreased by 22%. During a time of BETTER squad availability. 

Which makes Tinnion’s current role untenable at the same time.

It all points to; bad decision-making caused by poor governance.

We need; a proper CEO; two additions to the board who have FOOTBALL experience; a stable football management structure (I don’t mid what model, but pick one and stick with it)

Tinnion could still have a role in the academy.

In any other world, when you’re appointed to improve performance and things go backwards so quickly, you’re out on your ear. But not in Bristol City world. Sigh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, DaveInSA said:

Indeed it does. Lose against Swansea and they will need to act. Our post NP point performance per game has decreased by 22%. During a time of BETTER squad availability. 

Which makes Tinnion’s current role untenable at the same time.

It all points to; bad decision-making caused by poor governance.

We need; a proper CEO; two additions to the board who have FOOTBALL experience; a stable football management structure (I don’t mid what model, but pick one and stick with it)

Tinnion could still have a role in the academy.

In any other world, when you’re appointed to improve performance and things go backwards so quickly, you’re out on your ear. But not in Bristol City world. Sigh.

Oh and a supporter representative like @Davefevs who will state the bleeding obvious because no one else seems to or is to scared to.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Surely one can dream.

I certainly respect the way pearson got us through the financial mess, and the relationship he had with the squad he assembled, but just about everyone acknowledged it would be his replacement that would get the benefit of that work,, and no one can say he handled the owners with a lot of tact,, which is why he got fired. There is zero chance the lansdowns would have him back, and i doubt he would be desperate to come back if they wanted him to!

10 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I'm glad you mentioned that.

Bath Rugby I believe, after a torrid number of years, brought in someone to evaluate their club...might have been a consultant or someone from Saracens (I'm not entirely sure as i dont follow rugby in too much detail), but since that process a year or so ago, their performances have been much better, and they're towards the top end of the table.

Question is though, from a footballing perspective, who would you choose? Maybe the Brighton owner? Dunno

• Like 1

I'd give it to Frank Lampard.  I was hoping he'd get the job last time round.

Like him or not, it would enhance City's reputation again and he'd be able to secure a decent batch of Chelsea youngsters!

I think he was very impressive at this level with Derby.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I'm glad you mentioned that.

Bath Rugby I believe, after a torrid number of years, brought in someone to evaluate their club...might have been a consultant or someone from Saracens (I'm not entirely sure as i dont follow rugby in too much detail), but since that process a year or so ago, their performances have been much better, and they're towards the top end of the table.

Question is though, from a footballing perspective, who would you choose? Maybe the Brighton owner? Dunno

Trouble is the most important thing they must be a yes man/woman....

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep, I’d go with that. Myself and Fevs have both come up with that name as someone who is a better fit for this squad (and importantly we’re a far better fit for him than Swansea were).

Out of work, available. It’d be a name I wouldn’t be unamenable to.

Duff may well be a sensible appointment, which is exactly why it won't happen. 

He's a protégé of Steve Cotterill too, another reason it won't happen. 

I think he's a really good manager though. 

• Like 6