IGNORED

If not Manning, then whom?

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But Brian thought he had a job for loaf , took his eye off the Boule though 

Thought he was a on a roll the delusional moron. Needs his bread examined.

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Thought he was a on a roll the delusional moron. Needs his bread examined.

(My last) 🤣

Upper Crust Jon told fans that realising he’d been let down , had told Brian Gavin that he ‘Was Toast’ and explained that ‘after everything it was the yeast he could do’

Wanting a new manager/head coach when the current guy has only had 4 months or so, is knee-jerk in my opinion. 

I want to see how Manning's City get on in the first half of next season. He'll have had a pre-season, new players and all this experience to draw on.

I don't think many managers would have got us anywhere near top 6 with this squad and our constant injury merry-go-round, that includes our Nige.

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Wanting a new manager/head coach when the current guy has only had 4 months or so, is knee-jerk in my opinion. 

I want to see how Manning's City get on in the first half of next season. He'll have had a pre-season, new players and all this experience to draw on.

I don't think many managers would have got us anywhere near top 6 with this squad and our constant injury merry-go-round, that includes our Nige.

Not many championship standard coaches would have had us heading towards a relegation scrap either 

He has been a disastrous appointment and is so far out of his depth it’s laughable 

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

That’s not what people are angry about though. They are angry because the football as been largely dull (I know we were good vs Southampton) and we are are 6pts of the relegation spots and in abysmal form.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Not many championship standard coaches would have had us heading towards a relegation scrap either 

He has been a disastrous appointment and is so far out of his depth it’s laughable 

If I had to guess, our mid table, inconsistent squad will end up mid table, but let's wait and see.

12 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

That’s not what people are angry about though. They are angry because the football as been largely dull (I know we were good vs Southampton) and we are are 6pts of the relegation spots and in abysmal form.

Well maybe you're right, and the form continues like this, and I have to eat humble pie. Or maybe our form picks up, we finish more or less where we expected to (mid table), and everyone calms down and waits for next season, with Bird, Stokes, maybe Twine and others coming in to give us something to get behind.🤷‍♂️:city:

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

If I had to guess, our mid table, inconsistent squad will end up mid table, but let's wait and see.

Well maybe you're right, and the form continues like this, and I have to eat humble pie. Or maybe our form picks up, we finish more or less where we expected to (mid table), and everyone calms down and waits for next season, with Bird, Stokes, maybe Twine and others coming in to give us something to get behind.🤷‍♂️:city:

We’ll know a hell of a lot more in 24 hours I’m sure. Tomorrow is massive .

feels like a sliding doors moment. Absolutely ridiculous that this squad and club needs such a moment though and should be looking over our shoulders with only 10 games left IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, milo1111 said:

feels like a sliding doors moment. Absolutely ridiculous that this squad and club needs such a moment though and should be looking over our shoulders with only 10 games left IMO

I just want us to stop the rot. A win would be bloody lovely though.

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

I just want us to stop the rot. A win would be bloody lovely though.

We all do, but wanting or hoping is irrelevant…it earns you bugger all.

I don’t think half a season is knee-jerk either.

47 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Yes an important game but I can't see the attendance being great as it's mother's day ,Will be at least six seats empty around by us,Going by what the south stand has been like past games there will plenty of empty seats on show.

Edited by Street red

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We all do, but wanting or hoping is irrelevant…it earns you bugger all.

I don’t think half a season is knee-jerk either.

I think new managers need time, and half a season is not a lot (unless you're Watford).

If you're absolutely confident that you know that Manning can't have success here (is that what you're saying?), then that's fine. I'm personally nowhere near that point yet, and I think our form will pick up. Only time will tell though. 

32 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think new managers need time, and half a season is not a lot (unless you're Watford).

If you're absolutely confident that you know that Manning can't have success here (is that what you're saying?), then that's fine. I'm personally nowhere near that point yet, and I think our form will pick up. Only time will tell though. 

I'm inclined to say managers need time but does it not depend on how it is unravelling and direction of travel too?

By way of example, Ainsworth at QPR, Xisco at Sheffield Wednesday. Two extreme cases.

Edwards Millwall, Moore Huddersfield, Rooney Birmingham?

Sunderland unravelling somewhat now but the bigger error was to sack Mowbray. Don't think Beale and his PPG was appalling but fans never took to him really AFAIK. His record was inferior to Mowbray certainly but not emergency like some examples such as those in the above paragraph.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yes, that is what I’m saying.

I think his ethos, style, etc, is a bad fit for Bristol City, ie it is flawed for a club like us that will never have good enough players to make it work.  I’ve seen us get worse.  That’s not a straight-line, it rarely / never is.  And I don’t think it’s a “he’ll get better with time”, not based on what I’ve seen and what his methods and way of playing is based on.

It’s really tough to reach this conclusion too.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Do we really think they will sack Manning? I can’t see it, but lose tomorrow and the fans will undoubtedly turn. 

No, I think they’ll want to get him to the summer and then throw money at it.  And when I say “get to the summer” I don’t mean ensure safety, becayse I don’t think we’ll go down anyway, but for me survival is not a reason for him to stay in his job.  I’m not in charge though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Since Manning has been here we've dropped points in games where we we had the squad to get more.

QPR (a)

Norwich

Huddersfield

Blackburn

Birmingham

Millwall (h)

Preston (a)

QPR (h)

Sheff Wed (a)

Cardiff (h)

Win a few of them, pick up a few draws and bang your knocking on the door of the top 6. 

We picked up pathetic measly 3 points from those 10 games. In my opinion at the very least 5 wins from those 10 games was more than achievable. We got zero. We'd be 12 points better off if we won those winnable games. 

QPR (a) +2

Huddersfield +2

Birmingham +2

QPR (h) +3

Sheffield Wed (a) +3

44+12 = very near to the top 6 and a win 2moro would have put us in the top 6. 

So it's an absolute cop out to suggest another manager wouldn't have us anywhere near the top 6 when we absolutely could have got more out of those games. 

Actually me writing it out like that has made me even more annoyed because those games were more than winnable. They were terrible games. 

I could also make a very compelling case that we also have the quality to have got more from Norwich, Blackburn, Millwall, Preston and Cardiff. 

You're going to find very few fans who think this squad couldn't have got more from just those 5 games. 

Writing it down like this shows how atrocious it was and what a tragic failure Manning has been here. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

it's an absolute cop out to suggest another manager wouldn't have us anywhere near the top 6 when we absolutely could have got more out of those games. 

Actually me writing it out like that has made me even more annoyed because those games were more than winnable

ve5U0Iz.gif.5fc0358e749fae81e58cee678dd4fe7c.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm inclined to say managers need time but does it not depend on how it is unravelling and direction of travel too?

By way of example, Ainsworth at QPR, Xisco at Sheffield Wednesday. Two extreme cases.

Edwards Millwall, Moore Huddersfield, Rooney Birmingham?

Sunderland unravelling somewhat now but the bigger error was to sack Mowbray. Don't think Beale and his PPG was appalling but fans never took to him really AFAIK. His record was inferior to Mowbray certainly but not emergency like some examples such as those in the above paragraph.

Well it's not unravelling to the point whereby any team has given us a thumping. Only Preston have beat us by more than one goal,  and whilst Leeds was total domination, that was only 1-0.

Ipswich gave me cause for optimism. That was a good effort.

Now if we lose 3-0 today, then yes, that's an unravelling. But if we win or draw and put in a decent shift, that suggests there's still fight in the dog.

I think in hindsight, the QPR and Sheffield Wed games were harder than we'd all anticipated, and it's a shame Manning couldn't get the players in the right mindset for that.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, that is what I’m saying.

I think his ethos, style, etc, is a bad fit for Bristol City, ie it is flawed for a club like us that will never have good enough players to make it work.  I’ve seen us get worse.  That’s not a straight-line, it rarely / never is.  And I don’t think it’s a “he’ll get better with time”, not based on what I’ve seen and what his methods and way of playing is based on.

It’s really tough to reach this conclusion too.  

I do respect your view, and anyone else feeling similar. I think it's hasty though and hopefully everyone will get behind the team and who knows what is possible.

If we lose to a last minute winner today, I might not log on here for a few days :ph34r:🤣

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Since Manning has been here we've dropped points in games where we we had the squad to get more.

QPR (a)

Norwich

Huddersfield

Blackburn

Birmingham

Millwall (h)

Preston (a)

QPR (h)

Sheff Wed (a)

Cardiff (h)

Win a few of them, pick up a few draws and bang your knocking on the door of the top 6. 

We picked up pathetic measly 3 points from those 10 games. In my opinion at the very least 5 wins from those 10 games was more than achievable. We got zero. We'd be 12 points better off if we won those winnable games. 

QPR (a) +2

Huddersfield +2

Birmingham +2

QPR (h) +3

Sheffield Wed (a) +3

44+12 = very near to the top 6 and a win 2moro would have put us in the top 6. 

So it's an absolute cop out to suggest another manager wouldn't have us anywhere near the top 6 when we absolutely could have got more out of those games. 

Actually me writing it out like that has made me even more annoyed because those games were more than winnable. They were terrible games. 

I could also make a very compelling case that we also have the quality to have got more from Norwich, Blackburn, Millwall, Preston and Cardiff. 

You're going to find very few fans who think this squad couldn't have got more from just those 5 games. 

Writing it down like this shows how atrocious it was and what a tragic failure Manning has been here. 

I think it's admirable that you see this squad as top 6 quality! 

Even with the persistent injury problems; Sykes, Tanner, James, Bell, Naismith, Atkinson, Pring with his issues and especiallyTwine who was brought in to solve our problems in the final third (a problem weve had all season!)...

And with the relative novices at this level; TGH, McCrorie, Mehmeti, Roberts... 

Then throw in the obscene fixture schedule.

I think any manager that could deal with all of that and get this mob to be push for top 6 would have been exceptional. I think Nige is a really good manager, but would he have got us top 10 in the same circumstances? I really don't think so.

But, its all about opinions my friend,  so happy to agree to disagree. Let's hope we're both smiling at 2pm!!

Feel free to come and say I told you so if I'm wrong! 🫣

• Like 1

The trend isn’t good is it. Since Manning’s appointment we have gotten worse.

The only player who he has improved is Mehmeti. And he wasn’t playing before, so that’s the lowest bar you’ll ever seen.

So, for an on the grass coach, who is focused on front foot attacking football, intelligent pressing, with good behaviours and balanced emotions it’s, quite frankly 💩.

As others have said, I want him gone before he causes too much damage. 

Giving him time IMHO is a total fallacy. He’s shown he isn’t adaptable, cannot or will not change his style and doesn’t take any accountability for failure. 

We have an honest, hardworking squad. We are currently in an honest hardworking position in the league. We won’t go down - I can see us scrambling enough points together because some teams will have to go for it against us.

If you don’t have to go for it, all teams need to do is sit back, wait for us to gift them the ball, and score. I’ve never seen a more simple game plan. 

FWIW, I wanted it to work out. Of course I did. But it isn’t. And as I’ve mentioned multiple times before, it won’t work with Manning or any other coach/manager until Steve sorts out the football structure.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Well it's not unravelling to the point whereby any team has given us a thumping. Only Preston have beat us by more than one goal,  and whilst Leeds was total domination, that was only 1-0.

Now if we lose 3-0 today, then yes, that's an unravelling. But if we win or draw and put in a decent shift, that suggests there's still fight in the dog.

We aren't getting thrashed bit so many other indicators aren't positive.

I'd call PPG and win ratio halving from first 10 to next 11 alarming. Negative.

1.5 to 0.72.

40% to 18%.

4 of the last 6 Home League games 1-0 defeats.

Not scoring in 6 of the last 11 League games anywhere.

Ipswich was an improvement performance wise, let's hope today is the start of an improvement results wise while building on the positive aspects of Ipswich Away.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I think in hindsight, the QPR and Sheffield Wed games were harder than we'd all anticipated, and it's a shame Manning couldn't get the players in the right mindset for that.

I do respect your view, and anyone else feeling similar. I think it's hasty though and hopefully everyone will get behind the team and who knows what is possible.

If we lose to a last minute winner today, I might not log on here for a few days :ph34r:🤣

Bold1 - Perhaps consideration as to why we might not have taken a beating is because we have a good bunch of pros who are negating (to some extent) the poor head coach???

Bold2 - not having a go but where is the link that say just because I think he should be sacked that I won’t get behind the team?  That bugs me that people think that!

FWIW I don’t want him sacked, I want him to be a success. There’s a difference to thinking that he should be sacked though, because he’s underperforming in several ways. 

26 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

The trend isn’t good is it. Since Manning’s appointment we have gotten worse.

The only player who he has improved is Mehmeti. And he wasn’t playing before, so that’s the lowest bar you’ll ever seen.

So, for an on the grass coach, who is focused on front foot attacking football, intelligent pressing, with good behaviours and balanced emotions it’s, quite frankly 💩.

As others have said, I want him gone before he causes too much damage. 

Giving him time IMHO is a total fallacy. He’s shown he isn’t adaptable, cannot or will not change his style and doesn’t take any accountability for failure. 

We have an honest, hardworking squad. We are currently in an honest hardworking position in the league. We won’t go down - I can see us scrambling enough points together because some teams will have to go for it against us.

If you don’t have to go for it, all teams need to do is sit back, wait for us to gift them the ball, and score. I’ve never seen a more simple game plan. 

FWIW, I wanted it to work out. Of course I did. But it isn’t. And as I’ve mentioned multiple times before, it won’t work with Manning or any other coach/manager until Steve sorts out the football structure.

@mozo DaveinSA gets it too. Pretty much the exact sentiment as me. I should’ve read his post first. 

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it's admirable that you see this squad as top 6 quality! 

Even with the persistent injury problems; Sykes, Tanner, James, Bell, Naismith, Atkinson, Pring with his issues and especiallyTwine who was brought in to solve our problems in the final third (a problem weve had all season!)...

And with the relative novices at this level; TGH, McCrorie, Mehmeti, Roberts... 

Then throw in the obscene fixture schedule.

I think any manager that could deal with all of that and get this mob to be push for top 6 would have been exceptional. I think Nige is a really good manager, but would he have got us top 10 in the same circumstances? I really don't think so.

But, its all about opinions my friend,  so happy to agree to disagree. Let's hope we're both smiling at 2pm!!

Feel free to come and say I told you so if I'm wrong! 🫣

Top 10. Yes absolutely he would have. And we would still, at this stage be in with a shout of the play offs. IF he had been backed properly in the summer and subsequently January.

• Like 6