IGNORED

If not Manning, then whom?

26 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

The trend isn’t good is it. Since Manning’s appointment we have gotten worse.

The only player who he has improved is Mehmeti. And he wasn’t playing before, so that’s the lowest bar you’ll ever seen.

So, for an on the grass coach, who is focused on front foot attacking football, intelligent pressing, with good behaviours and balanced emotions it’s, quite frankly 💩.

As others have said, I want him gone before he causes too much damage. 

Giving him time IMHO is a total fallacy. He’s shown he isn’t adaptable, cannot or will not change his style and doesn’t take any accountability for failure. 

We have an honest, hardworking squad. We are currently in an honest hardworking position in the league. We won’t go down - I can see us scrambling enough points together because some teams will have to go for it against us.

If you don’t have to go for it, all teams need to do is sit back, wait for us to gift them the ball, and score. I’ve never seen a more simple game plan. 

FWIW, I wanted it to work out. Of course I did. But it isn’t. And as I’ve mentioned multiple times before, it won’t work with Manning or any other coach/manager until Steve sorts out the football structure.

@mozo DaveinSA gets it too. Pretty much the exact sentiment as me. I should’ve read his post first. 

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it's admirable that you see this squad as top 6 quality! 

Even with the persistent injury problems; Sykes, Tanner, James, Bell, Naismith, Atkinson, Pring with his issues and especiallyTwine who was brought in to solve our problems in the final third (a problem weve had all season!)...

And with the relative novices at this level; TGH, McCrorie, Mehmeti, Roberts... 

Then throw in the obscene fixture schedule.

I think any manager that could deal with all of that and get this mob to be push for top 6 would have been exceptional. I think Nige is a really good manager, but would he have got us top 10 in the same circumstances? I really don't think so.

But, its all about opinions my friend,  so happy to agree to disagree. Let's hope we're both smiling at 2pm!!

Feel free to come and say I told you so if I'm wrong! 🫣

Top 10. Yes absolutely he would have. And we would still, at this stage be in with a shout of the play offs. IF he had been backed properly in the summer and subsequently January.

• Like 6

I think in a lot of ways not getting battered is a bad thing, as it allows for a degree of positive (if there can be) spin.

If you take the Cardiff game we lose 1-0, but create nothing of note. It’s 1-0, and to quote Kieran McKenna, theoretically fine margins, but not a game we ever look like winning. On the other side of the spectrum there’s Leeds - which was a 1-0 thrashing. And I wonder if it was 4 or 5 just where things would have gone.

The problem in a lot of ways is that these 1 goal losses are just a part of a natural regression pattern. I remember saying early in LMs reign that teams were likely to figure us out earlier in games as we were predictable - so our (relatively) faster starts such as Soton (A) and Boro (H) would be negated. Thats all that’s really happened here. It was a pattern that we’ve continued down the line of.

And the cup games, along with that fabled Southampton win, have meant we’ve sleepwalked down that regression path - but the signs were pretty clear pretty early.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ipswich was an improvement performance wise, let's hope today is the start of an improvement results wise while building on the positive aspects of Ipswich Away.

It's slowly started to bother me this past week that people have spoken about Ipswich as if they are Man City. 

The reality is Ipswich concede a lot and score a lot, especially late on. Us scoring there was nothing special really. They recently conceded 3 to Rotherham for example and then lost to Cardiff yesterday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bold1 - Perhaps consideration as to why we might not have taken a beating is because we have a good bunch of pros who are negating (to some extent) the poor head coach???

That's a dangerous road to go down saying that failure is Manning's fault, but success is in spite of him. Turn that on its head and you would argue its rose-tinted. If he takes blame he also has to take credit or it's just unfair (unless you have actual evidence of his holistic ineptitude, such as a number of players corroborating that he's not preparing them for games etc.)

Bold2 - not having a go but where is the link that say just because I think he should be sacked that I won’t get behind the team?  That bugs me that people think that!

No, I know you'll be supporting City, no doubts about that. 

FWIW I don’t want him sacked, I want him to be a success. There’s a difference to thinking that he should be sacked though, because he’s underperforming in several ways. 

👍

Replies in bold 🙂

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Top 10. Yes absolutely he would have. And we would still, at this stage be in with a shout of the play offs. IF he had been backed properly in the summer and subsequently January.

Agree that with investment in the summer, and more luck with injuries, Nige would have had us pushing top 10, and I think he would have got a little bit more from the hand that Manning was dealt, but not anything like top 6.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think in a lot of ways not getting battered is a bad thing, as it allows for a degree of positive (if there can be) spin.

To you, it's spin, to me it's context. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's slowly started to bother me this past week that people have spoken about Ipswich as if they are Man City. 

The reality is Ipswich concede a lot and score a lot, especially late on. Us scoring there was nothing special really. They recently conceded 3 to Rotherham for example and then lost to Cardiff yesterday. 

They've won 23 games this season. Only one team has beat them at their place. So they might not be Man City, but everything points to a tough game.

Also bear in mind the atmosphere there. We silenced the crowd first half by taking control on the pitch, but in the last half hour the noise levels put extra pressure on us. Conversely, we never got going against QPR and didn't incentivise the crowd to impact the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Replies in bold 🙂

Simply, it’s based on 25 games. I didn’t say he’s inept. Those 25 games will include some ups and some downs, you’re trying to frame it as Manning or the players.  I believe you win or lose as a team. The main person making it manning or the players is manning himself in some respects from his comments.  I just believe he is taking us backwards as the bloke in charge of the team.  Responsibility is very different to fault.