IGNORED

FA Youth Cup - Match Thread

FWIW I thought the U18s played well this evening and good to see we have a talented bunch coming through.   Campbell Slowly really stood out as a composed and dominant defender, definitely one for the future.  Joe Duncan also looks like a solid goalkeeper with accurate kicking over distance. Phillips who scored our goal has great feet, reminded me of Coutinho.    Also not surprising to see why we've had Jospeh James, Morrison, Nelson and Meerholz on the first team bench this season. They all look really promising. 

Yeboah was a little frustrating with his hold up play, but to be fair he set up the goal and put himself about a bit.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, frenchred said:

What a shocking game of football, whoosh ball from both teams, if that's the future it's grim.

Swindon 7 stood out.

Really disappointed leaving the stadium that was absolute dross

Is it whoosh ball if you're playing the balls with purpose? Swindon back line pretty slow in speed & on the turn so trying to spin the ball in behind for the pace of our front line to get onto. The game against Burnley was very different and a lot more technical so clearly was a tactic specially for Swindon. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

To answer those who asked: yes, Liam Manning was there in the directors box - as was Chris Hogg, Pat Mountain, Jon Lansdown and Marina Dolman amongst others. 

Quite a few first teamers as well, 

O’Leary, Knight, TC, Mehmeti and Twine plus a few more I think 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, frenchred said:

It was shocking mate

Absolutely no need for any midfield

Swindon under 1's upwards are told to be brutal and direct. Didn't see the game but maybe that was the tactic?

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Swindon played all the football  certainly 2nd half.

Can't overlook occasion for U18's, quarter final of the cup (trip to Man City at stake) trying to see out a 1-0 lead, maybe the first time a lot of them have played at Ashton Gate too & probably the biggest crowd they've played in front of. Occasion itself would be a lot to effect loads of young players. 

Edited by Lrrr

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Can't overlook occasion for U18's, quarter final of the cup (trip to Man City at stake) trying to see out a 1-0 lead, maybe the first time a lot of them have played at Ashton Gate too & probably the biggest crowd they've played in front of. Occasion itself would be a lot to effect loads of young players. 

Same applied for Swindon.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

What a shocking game of football, whoosh ball from both teams, if that's the future it's grim.

Swindon 7 stood out.

Really disappointed leaving the stadium that was absolute dross

I’d take it for the first team in a heartbeat!

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A very lovely lady.  Has the ability to converse with all ages and has a real aura about her.

Agree, a lovely lady to chat to but you do feel you’re in the presence of royalty while doing so.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Is it whoosh ball if you're playing the balls with purpose? Swindon back line pretty slow in speed & on the turn so trying to spin the ball in behind for the pace of our front line to get onto. The game against Burnley was very different and a lot more technical so clearly was a tactic specially for Swindon. 

It was predictable and boring

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

Yeboah didn't look out of place when he made a quite a few  appearances for the first team via Pearsons reign. He was quick, direct and worked hard for the team and a pain for the opposition. In fact there was a buzz of expectation from the fans when he came on as sub.

I beg to differ he looked well out of place!

• Hmmm 1

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

True.

Best way to protect a lead is to keep the ball though, surely, not hoof it and chase.

Goes back to the tactic City employed of wanting to spin our quicker players in behind their back line

I went tonight expecting to see a good game of football, remember when Manning was appointed and we were told our club had an identity and all teams would play to reflect the style of football throughout the club? (Bullshit I know)

What I saw was akin to parks football

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

And yet they won, its cup football so whatever it takes to win

Its under 18's kids football for Christ sake, it's their football education, they should be playing properly not agricultural shit like they served up tonight 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Just now, frenchred said:

Its under 18's kids football for Christ sake, it's their football education, they should be playing properly not agricultural shit like they served up tonight 

Youth cup is the biggest part of U18's football, if you watched the game against Burnley the performance was very different in tactics employed, getting in behind their slower back line was clearly just a tactic employed for this game. 

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Geeze miserable git.

All types of football get played in championship why should u18s be any different. Every club will have a few matches where they have to alternate playing styles to either gain an advantage or get pushed into playing that way by an opposition. 

Edited by Kodjias Wrist
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating.

Our u18s get into the semi finals of the FA Youth Cup for the first time in decades and yet people still complain.

Learning how to win while not being at your best is quite the skill, if they're learning that now that can only be a good thing

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I went tonight expecting to see a good game of football, remember when Manning was appointed and we were told our club had an identity and all teams would play to reflect the style of football throughout the club? (Bullshit I know)

What I saw was akin to parks football

Serious question, do you really think tonight had anything to do with Manning?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Serious question, do you really think tonight had anything to do with Manning?

Serious answer: if implementing a club wide playing philosophy do you think he should have? (If he never)