IGNORED

FA Youth Cup - Match Thread

9 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Certain people on this forum would complain if we won the champions league with the 'wrong type' of football.

Thats just utter bullshit

Happy clapper by any chance?

• Facepalm 3

Just now, frenchred said:

Thats just utter bullshit

Happy clapper by any chance?

No, I just don't go around acting like I want to slit my wrists after the u18s get what was a good result for themselves.

Seriously, why do you 'support' the club, all you ever do is cry about something not being up to your impossibly high standards at every chance that you have.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Serious answer: if implementing a club wide playing philosophy do you think he should have? (If he never)

He’s been our manager for 4 months.

Results in that time certainly haven’t been great, so I don’t think how the under 18s play is really a big priority for him at present.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Results in that time certainly haven’t been great, so I don’t think how the under 18s play is really a big priority for him at present.

Fair comment

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

No, I just don't go around acting like I want to slit my wrists after the u18s get what was a good result for themselves.

Seriously, why do you 'support' the club, all you ever do is cry about something not being up to your impossibly high standards at every chance that you have.

No slitting wrists here

I follow my club as it's ingrained in me by my parents, that's why I was at Ipswich on Tuesday night!

I ain't gonna sugar coat anything though and it's not impossible standards, just standards

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Its under 18's kids football for Christ sake, it's their football education, they should be playing properly not agricultural shit like they served up tonight 

This is where I differ.  I think as young players they should be taught to play all types of style, learn when to play, when not play…because that prepares them better for the harsh reality of Senior / professional football, whether that be at City or somewhere else.  There is no such thing as “properly” imho.

(not making this a Pearson thing in my next comment)

You can see why some of them might’ve found it easier to fit into first team training and ultimately match day squads previously than now.

What I would say is that there were times when we could’ve / should’ve played tonight.  I think we can be equally critical of the reliance on dribble (and going direct) rather than pass and move.  Even at u18 I expect a little more “game maturity”.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, frenchred said:

No slitting wrists here

I follow my club as it's ingrained in me by my parents, that's why I was at Ipswich on Tuesday night!

I ain't gonna sugar coat anything though and it's not impossible standards, just standards

Beating a side that just knocked out Man Utd to reach the FA Cup semi finals doesn't meet your standards?

Yeah, tell me again how they aren't unreasonably high...

Especially as you were told a multitude of times that they used a different style of play today to target a specific weakness that Swindon had.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Serious question, do you really think tonight had anything to do with Manning?

Was he there ?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What I would say is that there were times when we could’ve / should’ve played tonight.  I think we can be equally critical of the reliance on dribble (and going direct) rather than pass and move.  Even at u18 I expect a little more “game maturity”.

What I wanted for some time from the first team , was being able to play football to see games out. That's when I'd be happy to see us pass teams to death. 
Last night the MF seemed to find pockets of space, but even with passes on they seemed to like to dribble. It's quicker, less tiring and shifts the other team around more , by passing . I would have liked to see them play a lot more, better management of the game when they didn't have to chase.
Great win , but against another team we may not have got away with that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Serious question, do you really think tonight had anything to do with Manning?

8 hours ago, frenchred said:

Serious answer: if implementing a club wide playing philosophy do you think he should have? (If he never)

In 4 months - you’re joking? right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Was he there ?

He was - confirmed earlier on up the thread. Those who are saying the performance style (good or bad) had anything to do with him are talking out of their hats though - he’s been focussed almost exclusively on the first team (debate:discuss how that’s going!)

I’m glad he was there more for perception rather than anything else. He’s not shown signs of wanting to use academy players across his managerial career, and even if that still isn’t the case, had he not been there it would have been a major PR error.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Fascinating.

Our u18s get into the semi finals of the FA Youth Cup for the first time in decades and yet people still complain.

Learning how to win while not being at your best is quite the skill, if they're learning that now that can only be a good thing

One person who is the most consistently miserable person on here

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

He was - confirmed earlier on up the thread. Those who are saying the performance style (good or bad) had anything to do with him are talking out of their hats though - he’s been focussed almost exclusively on the first team (debate:discuss how that’s going!)

I’m glad he was there more for perception rather than anything else. He’s not shown signs of wanting to use academy players across his managerial career, and even if that still isn’t the case, had he not been there it would have been a major PR error.

Yep & seeing as we still fail to get near to filling the subs bench & appear to have about 16 senior players to get us through the season, Meerholz (who he has included) young James (who Nige did), Nelson & at least 2 others might find themselves on it if the gap between games is enough for them to feature. If we’re mathematically safe at some point won’t be shocked if Duncan replaces Bajic on the bench for a couple, either.

Won’t have done him & Hogg any harm to see them all play.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Was he there ?

What I wanted for some time from the first team , was being able to play football to see games out. That's when I'd be happy to see us pass teams to death. 
Last night the MF seemed to find pockets of space, but even with passes on they seemed to like to dribble. It's quicker, less tiring and shifts the other team around more , by passing . I would have liked to see them play a lot more, better management of the game when they didn't have to chase.
Great win , but against another team we may not have got away with that.

Well we almost certainly won't against Man City. I really enjoyed that last night though,good energy and plenty of forward passing and pace up front. I hadn't heard anything about Phillips before but he looked like he has the makings of a decent midfielder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Well we almost certainly won't against Man City. I really enjoyed that last night though,good energy and plenty of forward passing and pace up front. I hadn't heard anything about Phillips before but he looked like he has the makings of a decent midfielder.

There were some very good performances last night, I do think if we had taken some very good early chances we could have cruised , U18 football though.
You imagine Man City will be a big step up.

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He is not the manager.  He is the Head Coach of the first team

• Sad 1

What you have to understand is that these players (centre-backs especially) have spent the last few season being taught the 'Pearson way'. Two touches, out of feet and if no ball is on to a midfielder in tons of space then hit the channels. It has been drummed into them by the coaches and this team has been very successful so they aren't going to suddenly abandon those tactics. The training will have undoubtedly been tweaked now to start practising the 'Manning way' but that is going to take time. They have 3 lightening-quick forwards in Yeboah, Morrison and Nelson so why not use them?.

• Haha 1

I heard a rumour Tinnion stormed into the dressing room at half time and told them they better start playing terrible boring football or else, then made them watch him take a massive shit (which he subsequently didn't flush)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

You do realise they're children?

The poster used the word education. At u18 players are educated. Educated with the intent players play for the XI.  At the U18 stage you would expect to see synergy in the football from the U18 's to the XI.  

Pleasing result. A difficult watch. 

• Hmmm 1