IGNORED

Points per game and League table since Manning took charge

25 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A few of us heard he was told he had to get 12 points from the last 8 games to keep his job.

He’s managed it in 6, fair play to him.

I'm not doubting any of the sources, but how exactly would that conversation leak out of the club? Was Scotty Murray spying through the keyhole?

I don't think it's possible. 

I think, having waited for the play to revert to type and it not happening, I feel more assured about what LM could achieve, but it would most definitely only be the case, if we play as we’ve played in the last 3/4 games, or that LM will be able to get the current and any new players, playing his brand of football, whilst retaining some of the more front foot stuff, we’ve seen recently. 
  I know it has made a difference to me watching the last few games, to how I approach next season and I’ve just renewed with a more positive click of the renew tab. 

• Robin 1

Just now, mozo said:

I'm not doubting any of the sources, but how exactly would that conversation leak out of the club? Was Scotty Murray spying through the keyhole?

Loose lips / egos to protect….it happens.

• Like 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

I don’t do multi-people transport solutions! 😉

Ha, your loss, its a wild ride. I sit at the back of the bus wearing a Liam Manning T shirt and singing Kumbaya.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.

Sat here tonight, not that it really matters, I think he’s earned the chance to take us into the summer.  How big of me! 😉

To explain (all imho), I think there’s been enough from the turn in performances since Easter to think we aren’t gonna revert to the turgid stuff that for me was more the norm than the Southampton / FA Cup games / performances.

There are still some concerns, but if we carry on with the bit more intent shown, taking opportunities to win the ball high-up for example then I think Leicester, Blackburn and today are more representative of how we will play than Sunderland on reflection.  I think playing Knight deeper is more the causation than Twine which is correlation.  I felt Knight did an admirable job playing the role he did, but he’s much more effective for the team playing from a deeper role.

So, I’m out of “sack Manning” territory.

I don't really understand how you can go in or out of 'sack Manning'. Either he is the man for us or he isn't,  no matter how you rationalise the point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I don't really understand how you can go in or out of 'sack Manning'. Either he is the man for us or he isn't,  no matter how you rationalise the point. 

Well that would mean that neither Fevs or LM are capable of change? 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Loose lips / egos to protect….it happens.

But if its a conversation between say, JL, BT and LM, and let's assume CH and other board members are in the loop, I can't imagine any of them letting that slip. I appreciate Tinnion is a bit mad when it comes to divulging information, but why are we not hearing any inside story on the search for investment for example? They've kept everything under wraps on that front.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Lose some, sack him. Win some, don't sack him.

Doesn't stack up for me, at all

Because things change.  And it wasn’t about results.  It was a view at a point in time and how I thought things were going.  For me time / longevity wasn’t the solution, but change was required.  Imho there’s been some change.

What doesn’t stack up for me is sticking rigidly to something when the evidence says different.  But different things float different peoples boats.

8 minutes ago, mozo said:

But if its a conversation between say, JL, BT and LM, and let's assume CH and other board members are in the loop, I can't imagine any of them letting that slip. I appreciate Tinnion is a bit mad when it comes to divulging information, but why are we not hearing any inside story on the search for investment for example? They've kept everything under wraps on that front.

Because eff all is on the table.  Simples!

They were happy to let a meeting re sacking Nige on the Sunday after Leeds slip, don’t forget!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.

Sat here tonight, not that it really matters, I think he’s earned the chance to take us into the summer.  How big of me! 😉

To explain (all imho), I think there’s been enough from the turn in performances since Easter to think we aren’t gonna revert to the turgid stuff that for me was more the norm than the Southampton / FA Cup games / performances.

There are still some concerns, but if we carry on with the bit more intent shown, taking opportunities to win the ball high-up for example then I think Leicester, Blackburn and today are more representative of how we will play than Sunderland on reflection.  I think playing Knight deeper is more the causation than Twine which is correlation.  I felt Knight did an admirable job playing the role he did, but he’s much more effective for the team playing from a deeper role.

So, I’m out of “sack Manning” territory.

I feel like Mehmeti has potentially shown enough promise there to make Twine too expensive (as if he wasn't already) and we may do well to look at bringing in another project to develop into that role (alongside Stokes) as you could view the initial Mehmeti signing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

I think, having waited for the play to revert to type and it not happening, I feel more assured about what LM could achieve, but it would most definitely only be the case, if we play as we’ve played in the last 3/4 games, or that LM will be able to get the current and any new players, playing his brand of football, whilst retaining some of the more front foot stuff, we’ve seen recently. 
  I know it has made a difference to me watching the last few games, to how I approach next season and I’ve just renewed with a more positive click of the renew tab. 

Ive just renewed too.

There were a lot of positives today, when nobody would have batted an eyelid if we'd put in a subpar performance and gone down to a narrow defeat.

Given what was at stake for them, I was impressed that we managed to give at least as good as we got.

Crikey, I think I'm going to watch the match highlights on ITV.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I feel like Mehmeti has potentially shown enough promise there to make Twine too expensive (as if he wasn't already) and we may do well to look at bringing in another project to develop into that role (alongside Stokes) as you could view the initial Mehmeti signing.

I still think we need a no10, just think there are better fits and better value options than Twine.

• Like 2

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Those of us that said sack him have to start admitting soon that we got it wrong. He’s making progress. Seagulls might not like it but that’s what’s happening 

Of all Manning's games, I think today was actually my favourite despite not winning. I believe Norwich had won something like 8 straight home games and we went there and with different officials might have won that game 2-0. But I was more pleased that after a pretty decent 1st half, we didn't follow it up with a turgid 2nd and actually played better in the second period imo. I feel like the players looked more confident in their touches and passing too which gives me more confidence that Liam could have us on the right path at last.

• Like 10

• Admin
Just now, Davefevs said:

I still think we need a no10, just think there are better fits and better value options than Twine.

Oh 100%, that's why I said still sign one....just not at Twine's price.
If LM wants to play 2 AMCs then we need more than Mehmeti, Sykes and Stokes as the options because we must never play Knight there, he's too important / better further back.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think if you want change which many of us did of LM and we then see change, it’s not reasonable to not recognise it or at least acknowledge it. 

You’d surely have to acknowledge that play has picked up recently? Or are you simply saying that having made up your mind about LM (presumably), there’s no changing it?

• Like 1

We've got no idea if Manning will turn out to be a proper success at City, but he's absolutely proved that any accusations that he's out of depth or totally inept were unfair.

There's speculation on this thread that Manning was under pressure and facing the axe, and if that's true, then even more credit to him for keeping his cool, remaining upbeat and guiding the team to a major turnaround in form.

People have commented that Manning has constantly referenced the Southampton game, and also credited the coaching too much, well, if rumours of the ultimatum are true, then you cam hardly blame him! We'd do the same.

I'd love it if we keep those run going til the end of the season, so that the general mood amongst fans is that he deserves a bit of support next season. 

I'm not looking forward to when we do next go on a poor run, and seeing all the noise saying "See, I knew he was rubbish!" But hey, that's football forums for you!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Those of us that said sack him have to start admitting soon that we got it wrong. He’s making progress. Seagulls might not like it but that’s what’s happening 

I really hope so. It's absolutely devine to be right, delicious, it's what we all crave; but that would mean City being shite and struggling grimly against relegation next season, and as much as I love being right, and being seen to be right, I don't like seeing us being shite. 

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not looking forward to when we do next go on a poor run, and seeing all the noise saying "See, I knew he was rubbish!" But hey, that's football forums for you!

Much to agree with in you whole post above.  If we go on a poor run, it will be the manner of it that defines my view, not the actual results.

48 minutes ago, mozo said:

There's only one person that would have known about that and leaked it - Brian Tinnion. 

49 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Oh 100%, that's why I said still sign one....just not at Twine's price.
If LM wants to play 2 AMCs then we need more than Mehmeti, Sykes and Stokes as the options because we must never play Knight there, he's too important / better further back.

I’m also hoping Benarous can get fit and stay fit - he would add to the options. 

• Facepalm 1