IGNORED

Liam Manning Swansea Press Conference

1 hour ago, Jimbo76 said:

Any chance you're all overlooking the context and he means he can't do anything in terms of how they're prepared for the game once they step on the pitch?

No. Listen again.

Yes, his comments are prefaced by talk about what Pat Mountain does. But then there's a clear, short pause which signals he's now talking about something else - and says...

"The second the game starts it's very difficult for me to affect things in game" - later on he even repeats it:

"In game it's really difficult to affect it"

Then the the coup de grace / coward's abdication of responsibility:

"You need people to step up and take responsibility".

By "you" he means "I"

Coward.

The only time he's taken even partial responsibility is when he's once or twice said "we got it wrong tactically" - meaning, I got my homework wrong.

In other words - if I get my homework right, and give you all the right information and analysis - the result is all the players' fault, good or bad.

We have a chairman who's never achieved anything that wasn't handed to him on a plate, taking advice from a technical director who's never achieved anything that wasn't handed to him on a plate, and a Coach who knows all the theory but has never won a thing, let alone the stated aim of the owner of OUR NOT HIS football club - promotion to the Premier League.

We are Lions led by nobodies.

(Alternatives to the last word in that sentence are freely available. Fill yer boots.)

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Jimbo76 said:

Any chance you're all overlooking the context and he means he can't do anything in terms of how they're prepared for the game once they step on the pitch?

I think it's pretty ludicrous to suggest that he doesn't think he can change tactics/formations, sub players or address individual players.

I'm finding the whole anti Manning thing a bit OTT. 

I'm not saying he'll be a success, I'm probably as worried as most, but he's clearly passionate, he's working hard and I'm not sure who our saviour is meant to be at this stage.

If, and it's a big if, he turns things around, a lot of the comments on here are gonna seem, again, pretty OTT.

Its not his fault that Pearson was so badly treated. I, for one, am gonna stay positive, and give it a few more games before declaring a disaster.

Tin hat well and truly on.

I’m sure there is elements of that, but in that case, communicate it / explain it better, so people don’t misinterpret it.  Understand your audience or your audience’s audience.

For me, the way Nigel Pearson was treated has little relevance to my evaluation of Liam Manning.

34 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Didn’t listen to the post match interview, so just out of interest, did he himself do any of the praising of our boys?

Was pretty much (paraphrased) - we were good for 90% of the game executed the game plan, then they (the players) got emotional.

21 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Great post.

I’m in the Manning out camp but do agree that everything he does and says is turned into a negative by lots on the forum unfairly in lots of occasions. I would love to be wrong about him as it means we are winning again & moving in the right direction which is what we all want.

There are some bits that are  OTT, but there are some comments underplaying of his performance too, and relative ease to push the problems up the hierarchy also.

Some people can criticise Tins, Jon and SL (me included on specific things)…but only one bloke (maybe 3 inc Hogg and Krause) is picking the team, setting the game-plan and making decisions in-game.  And if some of the problems we are seeing get discussed in press / club interviews and come across as appearing to abdicate responsibility, then it’ll get picked up on here.

As for you being wrong.  It’s not about that Shuffs, it’s just you voicing your opinion on what you’ve seen, what you’re seeing and what you foresee happening in the future.  You won’t be the one make the decision, nor is there anything wrong in reflecting in 10 games times or next autumn and commenting on the change you’ve seen.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Gotta say, a manager saying once the game starts there’s nothing they can do to impact it is pretty ******* mental. 

Did I hear that right??

Don't go swimming in the deep end - you might drown. FFS!

Edited by fisherrich

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Gotta say, a manager saying once the game starts there’s nothing they can do to impact it is pretty ******* mental. 

He's well and truly earned the Teflon moniker. 

Demands accountability from the players but takes zero accountability himself. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Watched both LM and BT interviews, how much longer are both going to be living off the Southampton game? 

Is that all we can look forward to now, a few decent performance's against good sides in amongst dreary dross the rest of the season? 

We'll be celebrating the Southampton game on the pitch in 40 years time mate. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Did I hear that right??

Apologists say he was just taking about defending dead ball deliveries 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The reality is, he was saying that once the game starts he's powerless because he's already done his homework and given the players all the information, all the "detail", they need to win the game.

Unfortunately, the journalist didn't have the wit to immediately ask -

- But did you give them "the detail" about how to win when they bring on a speedy, direct Right winger but your Left Back and Left Winger are knackered?

Of course, we all know he didn't give them that info - even though that's his job, to prepare his team for every eventuality, not just the one he imagined in his head so long as everyone - including the opposition - did was expected.

Of course football isn't predictable, played by pre-programmed robots. So you need a Manager who can react in real time to unexpected developments 

And Manning fails to react, either at all or successfully enough, time and again.

Emphasis on the word FAILS.

He's not what we need.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

46 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Some of the posts above explain it. He was specifically talking in the context of set pieces. And that it was "very hard" to affect the players in that situation.

⏬

⏬

Absolutely fake news. 

He was NOT talking in the context of set pieces, he was using set pieces as an EXAMPLE of the information they give players before the games. 

He was basically saying when they cross that white line they have all the information and then there is nothing HE can do to change the outcome of the game. 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Also highlights his complete lack of in-game management, in case that was in any doubt.

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Piercy asked re supporters reaction at Cardiff and pressure - can’t control it so don’t try to think about it, all was great 3 games ago and his energy is better served doing his job

Oh Hello............ Liam it can be controlled by improving the performances, he's answered it himself (better served doing his job)

I find him very difficult to watch/listen too, have done from his first time here.

I don't like his football, I don't like the way he discribes the game and his tactics.

I don't like the fact he will not change in game tactics during a match, I don't think he can ever change from his so called perfect game plan.

I  don't feel great about this and all of the above but I have a feeling of impending doom about City at this moment of time.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I scrolled down the thread before watching the presser this time. I’m glad I did and thanks for sharing… don’t think I’m gonna bother watching.

Some poor answers there imo. How many times is he gonna say “Oh it was great 3 games ago”. It was 2 games, 3 games and now 4 games.

I spoke to him in their hotel at Ipswich. I told him I’d wanted him sacked after the Cardiff game. He replied “ I bet you didn’t say that 3 weeks ago”. .Actually I did mate!!

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

No. He didn't say that.

Thank you EA.

Anyone with half a brain, or at least with an iota of impartiality, would realise that he wasn’t talking about formations, tactics, personnel but about how individual players perform or carry out what’s been practised or planned. He can’t affect how Nakhi Wells finishes (or not) the relatively straightforward opportunity to put us 2 up on Tuesday.

Good luck with your efforts at being a rare voice of reason on this forum. I’ve had it with reading what’s become an endless stream of not just negativity but of vitriol and pure hatred. There seems to be very little debate or discussion any longer. Just a determination to find fault and blame at any and every opportunity.

I’m sticking with the politics forum for a while….it’s a far more civilised place, far more sensible debate and discussion, far more respect, and far less vitriol. 

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

The words don't match the reality for me.

He keeps talking about us going in the right direction? 

The only thing I can think he is referring to is this ethos that he repeats time and again that clearly runs through his whole coaching philosophy - that is to equip the players with the skills to do it on the pitch themselves and take responsibility.

Hence a lot of talk of players; didn't implement the plan, let emotions get in their way and when they cross the white line he (Manning) can't affect things. One on one player meetings. Giving them the tools. etc etc etc

So perhaps when he talks about making progress, I can only presume he means in terms of the players accepting this way of working and reproducing it on the pitch?

I don't mind some elements of this man management to an extent - but my god, sorry, the best coaches in the world facilitate their players in ways beyond just preparation and set up. That's a crazy comment about in game influence.

Manning is putting a hell of a lot faith in his processes and the players ability and willingness to make it a success. 

He's basically all in on it with little flexibility or ideas beyond the players "producing" his imaginary, ideal plan - if they can't, what does he have in his locker next? Very little it seems so far. Must win on Sunday or concerning times...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

I really cannot warm to him sorry to say.

It sounds really harsh as I don't like hammering someone's character without meeting them but his answers and the way he comes across is very unhumanlike and not at all personable.

He strikes me as a textbook coach but has zero man management skills and life experience that can lead players to victory.

I have struggled to warm to him from the start, not because I was a big NP fan but because there's something about him I find so utterly uninspiring and dour. 

I often think a Football team plays in the image of its Manager. We're boring, and so is he.

• Like 8
  • Flames 2