IGNORED

Liam Manning Swansea Press Conference

I know I’m repeating myself but I really do feel that I have to reiterate just how much respect I have for those of you that put yourselves through watching a Liam Manning press conference.

Genuinely I struggle to make it through the couple of minutes long interview post game in one sitting.

What an inspirational character, my god you’d run through a brick wall for him wouldn’t you. Cant wait for the absolutely wild atmosphere tomorrow at Ashton Gate that his management creates.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

12 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

As ever, and has been said, context is important. The key passage starts from 11:45 apx where Liam says “The players..they get the support, they get the work they get the detail and the shift I’ve  seen is the players taking accountability. We try to give them everything on setups on corners and goalkicks but the second the game starts it’s very hard for me to effect things in game 

And genuinely, it isn’t - again, that’s literally his job.

Absolutely - you can talk about interpretation of what he said, as @ExiledAjax is on the other side of the coin.

But for me, it's vague - if you have a specific point, make it. It felt to me it was a half-hearted attempt to explain (absolve blame) conceding from a freekick vs Ipswich.

But that phrase he used is really not good. Even if those defending manning are right, I still disagree with what he said: set up, freekicks etc, the manager can affect things - yes the players need to know roles and adapt to changes in game but:

Take the freekick example - the players will be focussed on one thing in the heat of the moment and jostling - "winning their duel".

The manager has the responsibility to see the bigger the picture - perhaps a player's set up to make a late far post run, for example, that is unexpected. Even if it's time sensitive or hard to get message to players - that's your job!

You can't expect the players to take all the responsibility to see "the whole picture" when they've also got to mark a player who is pushing and shoving you to get into position. That's what they should be focussing on.

EDIT - I don't mind his interview manner, I actually quite like him, I imagine he's thoughtful and supportive of the players off the field. Yes I was a fan of Nige and he had the opposite style in many ways. But for me - if the message is good and the quality is there, I don't mind how it's delivered. My question is not Manning as a personality, it's Manning as a coach.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

If he can't impact anything then why do we have analysts sat in the stand? With one of them being who he specifically brought in. 

Exactly that. They are constantly looking at info during the game and giving it to the coaching team.

You can set up as much as you want to how you think a team will play against you...but if the reality during a game is different to how you thought, then you have to be adaptable and impact the game by changing. Whether that be at set pieces, formations, players. You have to be able to manage and make an impact during a game. 

You don't win points in the training ground. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Absolutely - you can talk about interpretation of what he said, as @ExiledAjax is on the other side of the coin.

But for me, it's vague - if you have a specific point, make it. It felt to me it was a half-hearted attempt to explain (absolve blame) conceding from a freekick vs Ipswich.

But that phrase he used is really not good. Even with those defending manning are right, I still disagree with what he said: set up, freekicks etc, the manager can affect things - yes the players need to know roles and adapt to changes in game but:

Take the freekick example - the players will be focussed on one thing in the heat of the moment and jostling - "winning their duel".

The manager has the responsibility to see the bigger the picture - perhaps a player's set up to make a late far post run, for example, that is unexpected. Even if it's time sensitive or hard to get message to players - that's your job!

You can't expect the players to take all the responsibility to see "the whole picture" when they've also got to mark a player who is pushing and shoving you to get into position. That's what they should be focussing on.

EDIT - I don't mind his interview manner, I actually quite like him, I imagine he's thoughtful and supportive of the players off the field. Yes I was a fan of Nige and he had the opposite style in many ways. But for me - if the message is good and the quality is there, I don't mind how it's delivered. My question is not Manning as a personality, it's Manning as a coach.

I think it’s pretty simple - if he doesn’t mean it, or it’s vague and open to good or bad interpretation, don’t say it. The same as with the only playing poorly for one game in twenty - it was said on here that he didn’t really mean that - well don’t say it!

I think a couple of months ago the angle around responsibility and who can change things was debated. The bottom line is Tanner (for example) can decide that he needs to show a man outside in game. Tanner can’t however decide to go to a back three - that’s Liams job.

The little decisions in game - fine, players. The bigger decisions - managers/coaches. And when you’ve got a head coach who we’ve pretty much all said has struggled with in game management saying “there’s very little I can do to effect things” having had a recent history of not taking responsibility - well, there’s not many ways that can or should be interpreted.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

What would you view as 'turning things around' ??....

And more to the point, until he got here there wasn’t anything to turn round. It’s akin to asking to be thankful when someone’s dog shits on your carpet but the owner cleans it up.

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Jimbo76 said:

Because I think a lot of the vitriol on this forum towards him is based on the fact that Pearson was treated badly, which is nothing to do with Manning whatsoever.

Fair enough generally there is fine if that in the forum, but I think in this specific case, they are looking at his interview, this wasn’t a general “let’s have a go at Manning” .

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Should we lose tomorrow I wouldn't say he'd get the chop even then.

Although with WBA & Leicester to follow, the die is cast.

FWIW, I think the same, he ain’t going nowhere….yet!

Out of interest, would you bite the bullet after tomorrow if we lose?  You know I would’ve after Cardiff last Saturday.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

So do I.  I’m someone who wants lots of info, I get it.  The adding of the full press conference over the past few years is great for someone like me.  Nige used to get pelters on here for some of his responses too.  It goes with the territory.

And the last bit in bold is it in a nutshell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Exactly that. They are constantly looking at info during the game and giving it to the coaching team.

You can set up as much as you want to how you think a team will play against you...but if the reality during a game is different to how you thought, then you have to be adaptable and impact the game by changing. Whether that be at set pieces, formations, players. You have to be able to manage and make an impact during a game. 

You don't win points in the training ground. 

Which is exactly what Manning didn’t do in the second 45 at Portman Rd. His opposite did make changes which ultimately won them the game. The pity is that Manning got it spot on the first half when they hardly got out of their own half but failed to react when their substitutions came on.

Mannings inertia was mind boggling……………:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige used to get pelters on here for some of his responses too.  It goes with the territory.

When he first came in , I stopped watching , I really didn't enjoy them.  Over time , even as a very experienced Manager, he seemed to settle and mellow , he became quite an enjoyable mix of info and explanation. 

I don't think Manning has great charisma , and add that he is struggling to get 'His' tune out of the squad , it's bound to be tough.  I think I will do the same now , if he does hang around I may revisit later , but at the moment him saying things like "we need to stick together" pre match , and "my plan was perfect, they didn't carry it out" after, puts me off.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

When he first came in , I stopped watching , I really didn't enjoy them.  Over time , even as a very experienced Manager, he seemed to settle and mellow , he became quite an enjoyable mix of info and explanation. 

I don't think Manning has great charisma , and add that he is struggling to get 'His' tune out of the squad , it's bound to be tough.  I think I will do the same now , if he does hang around I may revisit later , but at the moment him saying things like "we need to stick together" pre match , and "my plan was perfect, they didn't carry it out" after, puts me off.

Many managers say exactly the same and its a deflection of the blame away from themselves - it’s a subconscious psychological defence mechanism.

I don’t remember Danny Wilson or Nige making that kind of comment. Both the Johnsons did tho.

Edited by Robbored
  • Facepalm 2

13 hours ago, richyy66 said:

If you were sat in a changing room listening to that boring **** how would that inspire you to play for him. 

Basically he can't effect the game and blames everyone but himself.

Blokes out of his depth and must be replaced as soon as. Is he really going to take this club forward.

There's only one way he's taking us. If not this season then nailed on next season.

You would listen uninspired and then fall-back on his glittering “been there so must know his stuff” playing career.

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

He’s absolutely mint on Robins TV at pointing out where his team mates are going wrong, though.

If I was Rob Dickie or Zak Vyner I’d ask him if he ever fancies stepping on the pitch again to show them.

I mean they’ve only slogged through about 35 games each whilst he’s shown up for about 10.

Glad someone has highlighted it. This bloke has literally stole a living since he come in through the door yet will sit on Robins TV and dig people out 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

But that phrase he used is really not good. Even if those defending manning are right, I still disagree with what he said: set up, freekicks etc, the manager can affect things - yes the players need to know roles and adapt to changes in game but:

At a high-level I might be taking an opposing view to that of @Silvio Dante, but if mine is the accepted view then really we only get more questions.

If he's giving them the information, processes, and set up that he thinks will work, and they are not being executed or used properly, then why? That's been discussed before but it's certainly ot the case that I'm saying "the process is in place, so what's everyone's problem?"

Also, I'm like you in that I don't mind his style. Very few football managers are truly eloquent and able communicators and I don't expect to have a new Cicero in the chair. Pearson was ok, he did well to consider his answers before speaking, but like Manning and Johnson he was prone to waffling on and going on great tangents. Manning has a limited vocabulary and a  scattergun speaking style, and I think this means he fails sometimes to convey the full context that his thoughts sit within.

I cut him slack for that, and I do that separately from the results on the pitch. 

Edited by ExiledAjax

35 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Glad someone has highlighted it. This bloke has literally stole a living since he come in through the door yet will sit on Robins TV and dig people out 

Firstly he hasn’t dug any players out on RTV.  He’s largely OTT in his commentary, e.g. “Tommy’s a fantastic player he’d normally finish that 9 times of 10”.  That’s not digging anyone out.

He has given analytic critique at times, like “I’m not sure why we are hitting that type of pass” or “that’s not what we’ve been trying to do in training”.  That’s not digging anyone out, either.

At worst it’s a bit of honesty, and the reason you invite them on the programme.

As for stealing a living, one of my most disliked phrases.  How is he stealing a living?  Injured on duty, don’t forget.

Of course you might prefer Tony Thorpe’s commentary that constitutes stuff like - “I’d have scored that” or “this is awful, I reckon I could still play in this team”.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I know I’m repeating myself but I really do feel that I have to reiterate just how much respect I have for those of you that put yourselves through watching a Liam Manning press conference.

Genuinely I struggle to make it through the couple of minutes long interview post game in one sitting.

What an inspirational character, my god you’d run through a brick wall for him wouldn’t you. Cant wait for the absolutely wild atmosphere tomorrow at Ashton Gate that his management creates.

For me, it is just so bloody hard listening to Manning who is just plain boring, when we had Nige P wearing his heart on his sleeve for this football club at every presser. Massive backward step employing Manning.

Not that I blame Manning who has taken on a poisoned chalice  - just Zippee & Bungle.

• Like 1

I remember Sean O’Driscoll (who for all the stick he used to get was actually a very interesting and able coach) saying something very similar.  He said that however much he prepared players for matches, once the game starts it’s a question of the players making the right decision in the moment.  Of course a coach can make substitutions and tactical changes, and of course these can be hugely influential on a game as we saw on Tuesday night, but it is still down to the players to make the right decisions and then execute them effectively during the game.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember Sean O’Driscoll (who for all the stick he used to get was actually a very interesting and able coach) saying something very similar.  He said that however much he prepared players for matches, once the game starts it’s a question of the players making the right decision in the moment.  Of course a coach can make substitutions and tactical changes, and of course these can be hugely influential on a game as we saw on Tuesday night, but it is still down to the players to make the right decisions and then execute them effectively during the game.  

This. As always, his words have been taken in the literal sense. But think some people know that, but most people’s minds have been made up and will now use anything they can as a stick to beat him with, until a point where, if everything improves and he starts winning games, they will duly backtrack and make some sort of excuse for previous vitriolic opinions, or use the classic line of “just enjoy the win”when being pulled on it or old threads emerge etc. This is how the forum works. Then we repeat with the next victim. 

• Like 2

It’s a poor interview. It obviously isn’t his forte, but he takes no personal responsibility.

He just deflects most of his answers to this perceived idea that the players need to adjust to his methods 

The answer about the impact he can have on games was clumsily worded, listened to it back a couple of times and I think he does ultimately mean things like set pieces rather than as a whole.

He doesn’t seem like a motivating character at all, and I can see players becoming frustrated with him.

I also didn’t like the implication that fan concerns are vapid and fickle - yes they can be reactionary, but cut away the hyperbole and the key points many people raise are usually valid and considered. Especially as they include the context of the competency of the decision makers and reasons for those decisions.

I’m not quite sure he ‘gets’ us as a fanbase. The only other managers in recent-ish history I also thought this about were McInnes and SO’D. 

Pearson was obviously a far better communicator, and I think this likely gained him some leeway with support - but I do feel he made the effort to understand our fanbase - for example he’d have known the significance of the Cardiff game in terms of rivalry.

He’s really got to get a win on Sunday. It’s perhaps even more significant considering Swansea appointed Williams recently who was seen as another likely pick for our vacancy. Losing again would just reinforce that the appointment, and the decision makers behind it, just don’t make correct calls.

Edited by Phileas Fogg