IGNORED

Liam Manning Swansea Press Conference

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I remember Sean O’Driscoll (who for all the stick he used to get was actually a very interesting and able coach) saying something very similar.  He said that however much he prepared players for matches, once the game starts it’s a question of the players making the right decision in the moment.  Of course a coach can make substitutions and tactical changes, and of course these can be hugely influential on a game as we saw on Tuesday night, but it is still down to the players to make the right decisions and then execute them effectively during the game.  

This. As always, his words have been taken in the literal sense. But think some people know that, but most people’s minds have been made up and will now use anything they can as a stick to beat him with, until a point where, if everything improves and he starts winning games, they will duly backtrack and make some sort of excuse for previous vitriolic opinions, or use the classic line of “just enjoy the win”when being pulled on it or old threads emerge etc. This is how the forum works. Then we repeat with the next victim. 

• Like 2

It’s a poor interview. It obviously isn’t his forte, but he takes no personal responsibility.

He just deflects most of his answers to this perceived idea that the players need to adjust to his methods 

The answer about the impact he can have on games was clumsily worded, listened to it back a couple of times and I think he does ultimately mean things like set pieces rather than as a whole.

He doesn’t seem like a motivating character at all, and I can see players becoming frustrated with him.

I also didn’t like the implication that fan concerns are vapid and fickle - yes they can be reactionary, but cut away the hyperbole and the key points many people raise are usually valid and considered. Especially as they include the context of the competency of the decision makers and reasons for those decisions.

I’m not quite sure he ‘gets’ us as a fanbase. The only other managers in recent-ish history I also thought this about were McInnes and SO’D. 

Pearson was obviously a far better communicator, and I think this likely gained him some leeway with support - but I do feel he made the effort to understand our fanbase - for example he’d have known the significance of the Cardiff game in terms of rivalry.

He’s really got to get a win on Sunday. It’s perhaps even more significant considering Swansea appointed Williams recently who was seen as another likely pick for our vacancy. Losing again would just reinforce that the appointment, and the decision makers behind it, just don’t make correct calls.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Which is exactly what Manning didn’t do in the second 45 at Portman Rd. His opposite did make changes which ultimately won them the game. The pity is that Manning got it spot on the first half when they hardly got out of their own half but failed to react when their substitutions came on.

Mannings inertia was mind boggling……………:facepalm:

My biggest gripe...is ' reacting'. 

When are we ever pro active and make the first moves? Give the opposition something to think about. 

After going 2-1 up I would have immediately changed tack. Get Pring and Mehmetti off. Roberts and King on. 

Would have completely changed the game imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

When are we ever pro active and make the first moves? Give the opposition something to think about. 

After going 2-1 up I would have immediately changed tack. Get Pring and Mehmetti off. Roberts and King on. 

He won't make those changes because at that point 'the plan' is working so in his mind, no need to change! 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

No doubt at all Spudski. The vastly experienced King to clam things down and Roberts to replace Pring who clearly wasn’t 100% fit should have been uppermost in Mannings thoughts but - nothing at all……….:dunno:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He won't make those changes because at that point 'the plan' is working so in his mind, no need to change! 

The plan should have been to close shop and protect Pring after going in the lead. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

This. As always, his words have been taken in the literal sense. But think some people know that, but most people’s minds have been made up and will now use anything they can as a stick to beat him with, until a point where, if everything improves and he starts winning games, they will duly backtrack and make some sort of excuse for previous vitriolic opinions, or use the classic line of “just enjoy the win”when being pulled on it or old threads emerge etc. This is how the forum works. Then we repeat with the next victim. 

I've tended to have taken a step back in the last year, the forum has changed (I don't think it is about Nige or anything the club has done). The mantra used to be ATTACK THE POST, NOT THE POSTER but that seems to have been out the window for a long time. I don't mind good debate but silly petty name calling is just tedious.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Second half McKenna adapted Ipswich approach to combat the high block that had kept them pretty much in their own half and Manning did not react - surely in the second 45 he should have realised that plan A had been compromised but he had no plan B - absolutely shocking imo.

• Like 2

I'm okay with Manning's interviews to be honest. He doesn't say anything that troubles me or makes me doubt him. He seems like a thoughtful and reasonable bloke.

This will get a me a few emoji reactions but I'm honestly not making any decisive judgement about Manning just because we've had a poor run of form. 

This is the Championship; it's a tough league with a lot of even clubs, and its not like were getting trounced. We're losing by the odd goal, which is bloody annoying, but it happens. The players will be gutted about the Ipswich game because it was individual errors that cost us. Hopefully, they can put it right.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fisherrich said:

For me, it is just so bloody hard listening to Manning who is just plain boring, when we had Nige P wearing his heart on his sleeve for this football club at every presser. Massive backward step employing Manning.

Not that I blame Manning who has taken on a poisoned chalice  - just Zippee & Bungle.

That's not what I remember. He was very guarded, and came across like he'd rather be doing something else, which I'm pretty sure he'd agree was the case. Sometimes we got really interesting insight, other times he was tetchy and difficult. 

Manning definitely has a boring voice, and what he says seems pretty measured. I don't mind hearing his thoughts but also could give it a miss. He also says the word, 'bit' 300 time every presser.

I agree 100% with the poisoned chalice statement. I think we're a bit of a basket case club and inconsistency seems to be our defining feature at all levels of the club.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Many managers say exactly the same and its a deflection of the blame away from themselves - it’s a subconscious psychological defence mechanism.

I don’t remember Danny Wilson or Nige making that kind of comment. Both the Johnsons did tho.

Embarrassing comment 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a poor interview. It obviously isn’t his forte, but he takes no personal responsibility.

He just deflects most of his answers to this perceived idea that the players need to adjust to his methods 

The answer about the impact he can have on games was clumsily worded, listened to it back a couple of times and I think he does ultimately mean things like set pieces rather than as a whole.

He doesn’t seem like a motivating character at all, and I can see players becoming frustrated with him.

I also didn’t like the implication that fan concerns are vapid and fickle - yes they can be reactionary, but cut away the hyperbole and the key points many people raise are usually valid and considered. Especially as they include the context of the competency of the decision makers and reasons for those decisions.

I’m not quite sure he ‘gets’ us as a fanbase. The only other managers in recent-ish history I also thought this about were McInnes and SO’D. 

Pearson was obviously a far better communicator, and I think this likely gained him some leeway with support - but I do feel he made the effort to understand our fanbase - for example he’d have known the significance of the Cardiff game in terms of rivalry.

He’s really got to get a win on Sunday. It’s perhaps even more significant considering Swansea appointed Williams recently who was seen as another likely pick for our vacancy. Losing again would just reinforce that the appointment, and the decision makers behind it, just don’t make correct calls.

I thought it was a good interview on the whole. He's an articulate and intelligent guy

• Flames 1