IGNORED

Adam Murphy

Harry

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He has either a low centre of gravity or very long shorts. 
:rolleyes:

ccc.gif.d58f90dc5ae7eeb8f7a5d67b1eb20e8f.gif

long shorts i think - and good close control.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 13/03/2024 at 05:44, Silvio Dante said:

Didn’t we not sign him last summer due to injury concerns?

Could it be that those injury concerns remain - we’ve jumped on the deal because we think he’s good, but once he’s “in the building” have found that he’s got something more chronic that was indicated but not confirmed fully in the medical?

Thats the most plausible thing I can think. As @Harry says, the “pre season” in itself seems nonsense - yes LOI is a far lower standard but as an 18 year old footballer he should have a decent level of inherent fitness and you’d hope that it wasn’t so far behind our 21s that he can’t even play there - particularly as we played a load of 18s yesterday!

I’m going for it having been a judgement call on - not fitness - but a “condition”, and we may have got that wrong in our desire to do the deal.

All of this guesswork would be unnecessary if the club just communicated in a more open and credible way.

6 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

All of this guesswork would be unnecessary if the club just communicated in a more open and credible way.

What do you expect? Them to tell us everything about everything. 

If Murphy does break in next season will we be counting him as an academy player like we did with Scott? 🤣

Just joking, but speaking of that, have you posted any final stats on how many academy players we used e.g. per matchday squad? @Davefevs cheers

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

He didn't look best pleased to score....

It’s a bit like playing football on the playground at school I imagine after having been used to men’s pro football Ireland. 
Nothing for him to get too excited about I would think. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

They can communicate much much better and keep the lies out.

No need to tell us everything, I very much doubt anyone expects that.

I agree they can communicate better - I still think some are OTT in what they expect. Sometimes.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s a bit like playing football on the playground at school I imagine after having been used to men’s pro football Ireland. 
Nothing for him to get too excited about I would think. 

Especially as he only seems to be playing as part of his recovery/fitness regime. 20 minutes last week, and hour yesterday the sort of thing they do with first teamers coming back from injury.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TammyAB said:

If Murphy does break in next season will we be counting him as an academy player like we did with Scott? 🤣

Just joking, but speaking of that, have you posted any final stats on how many academy players we used e.g. per matchday squad? @Davefevs cheers

image.thumb.png.feb4b3d1ab0e630b17b16f5592c58b24.png

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

If he’s now fit then Adam Murphy should be starting to make his way in our first team squad. 

He’s in the Ireland under 21’s and Tinnion tells us he’s the best young player in Ireland. 
Therefore he should at least be in tandem with his Ireland u21 peers. 

Of the u21 squad :

League 1 regulars : Bosun Lawal, Sean Roughan, Baba Adeeko, Tony Springett, Dylan Duffy, Tyler Goodrham. 

Some League 1 experience but not a regular : James Abankwah, Harry Vaughan, Ollie O’Neill. 

SPL experience : James Furlong, Rocco Vata, Killian Phillips. 

Overseas Top League experience : Anselmo MacNulty (Dutch top league), Tayo Aderamola (Belgian top league). 

Championship games under their belt : Connor O’Riordan, Andrew Moran, Joe Hodge, Sinclair Armstrong, Armstrong Oko-Flex, Aidamo Emakhu, Zak Gilsenan, Tony Springett. 

Premier League appearances : Sam Curtis, Alex Murphy, Mark O’Mahoney. 

That’s 24 players from the current Ireland u21’s who are either playing regular league 1 level or higher. 

If our Adam is the best young player in Ireland then I am fully expecting him (if fit) to be a regular in our 1st team squad next season. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

They can communicate much much better and keep the lies out.

No need to tell us everything, I very much doubt anyone expects that.

I certainly don't expect the Technical Director to blurt out the fees we paid for players we had previously announced as undisclosed. I'm glad we have a man in charge who is so discrete and professional. 😉

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

If he’s now fit then Adam Murphy should be starting to make his way in our first team squad. 

He’s in the Ireland under 21’s and Tinnion tells us he’s the best young player in Ireland. 

Of the u21 squad :

League 1 regulars : Bosun Lawal, Sean Roughan, Baba Adeeko, Tony Springett, Dylan Duffy, Tyler Goodrham. 

Some League 1 experience but not a regular : James Abankwah, Harry Vaughan, Ollie O’Neill. 

Overseas Top League experience : Anselmo MacNulty (Dutch top league), Tayo Aderamola (Belgian top league). 

Championship games under their belt : Connor O’Riordan, Andrew Moran, Joe Hodge, Sinclair Armstrong, Armstrong Oko-Flex, Aidamo Emakhu, Zak Gilsenan, Tony Springett. 

That’s 24 players from the current Ireland u21’s who are either playing regular league 1 level or higher. 

If our Adam is the best young player in Ireland then I am fully expecting him (if fit) to be a regular in our 1st team squad next season. 

Or Tinnion is coming out with hyperbolic nonsense, as per

• Flames 1

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Or Tinnion is coming out with hyperbolic nonsense, as per

Indeed. And this was why I wrote that very deliberate caveat in my post. 
If he’s as good as we are told, when comparing to his current Ireland u21 peers, he should be in our first team. 
We shall see…….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If he’s as good as we are told, when comparing to his current Ireland u21 peers, he should be in our first team. 
We shall see…….

Tbh the VERY early signs are at least promising, I think it’s fair to say that when we were in for him the feedback was this was a top young lad and quite a coup 

He is a shoe in for a squad place purely based on how far he has developed in Ireland and Ireland U21s. 

I would be amazed if he is loaned out or held back playing in the U 23s

If as is stated his peers are playing in English leagues and he is allegedly the best in his age group in Ireland, if he’s good enough age doesn’t come into it

slightly different with Stokes who is younger by a year but playing national league level but again, if he’s impressed the coaching team as much as they say then how refreshing seeing two hungry talented players in the first team as opposed to the unmotivated premier league cast offs we have had previously 

If they give everything to the shirt and want to take the opportunity in front of them then there is no reason not to utilise them. 

If we get a couple of stellar seasons from them and they either help us get promoted or are sold on at large fees then the club have recruited very well

Time will tell!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Of the u21 squad :

Surely there is another caveat to this though. The players you've listed range between 18 and 22. Some are 3 years older and most out of those 24 players are 21. In fact Curtis, Alex Murphy and Rocco Vata are the only ones younger. Plus he's only come back from a serious injury. An injury that's been there in some respect since we were originally interested in signing him last summer. I understand the point you are making about Tinnions statement but surely it's not that simple based on the u21s listed.

Edited by RedRoss

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

Plus he's only come back from a serious injury.

He’s played a full season in Ireland since that injury.  That season finished in November 2023.  I don’t believe he’s had a serious injury since then…has he?

Just now, Davefevs said:

He’s played a full season in Ireland since that injury.  That season finished in November 2023.  I don’t believe he’s had a serious injury since then…has he?

I don't know if they are linked but all we do know is we didn't buy him last summer due to an injury or something that flagged, some kind of injury was keeping him away from appearing for our 21s. Maybe he was playing in the LOI carrying an injury? We don't know I'm just saying it's not as black and white as presented above by comparing players that are potentially 3 years older and have been playing regularly and injury free.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

We shall see…….

I don't think Tins was the only one talking him up though was he? I seem to remember articles and posts on here suggesting that bigger clubs than ours were at least monitoring him.

Maybe I am wrong (the stattos and scouts on here will be able to correct me) but he and Stokes look similar types of player from what I have seen of them. 

Both look technically good on the ball with an eye for a pass, both can play off either foot but are predominantly right footed? I just wonder if they can "job share" a role of right AM that would allow them to be blooded over the season with less pressure?

15 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Surely there is another caveat to this though. The players you've listed range between 18 and 22. Some are 3 years older and most out of those 24 players are 21. In fact Curtis, Alex Murphy and Rocco Vata are the only ones younger. Plus he's only come back from a serious injury. An injury that's been there in some respect since we were originally interested in signing him last summer. I understand the point you are making about Tinnions statement but surely it's not that simple based on the u21s listed.

A fair-ish response sir. 
If we take them by school year group, Adam is in the same year as 3 of those mentioned, a year above 1 (Curtis), a year below 7 of them and 2 years below the rest. 
So, into the coming season 24/25 he will be in the same class as the 7 in the year above him who all played regularly in the 23/24 season. So, I’d expect him to have a similar season to those. 
Which is basically a first team squad member. 

Based on his peers in that Ireland squad, 24/25 should be his breakthrough year. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Based on what we know about the current squad for next season, it fair to assume that all being well and all being fit, he would make the match day 20 wouldn't he?

He’d be in the mix.

As it stands, if everyone is fit, I think we have more than 18 outfield players, so he’d be battling it out.

image.png.af761306d2c8809cfe3274cba6b26e9f.png

23, not including Williams, nor Twine (or his replacement), nor Mebude (or the new winger), nor the no9.

I included Stokes and SPH who’ve both got the chance to shine preseason.

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

A fair-ish response sir. 
If we take them by school year group, Adam is in the same year as 3 of those mentioned, a year above 1 (Curtis), a year below 7 of them and 2 years below the rest. 
So, into the coming season 24/25 he will be in the same class as the 7 in the year above him who all played regularly in the 23/24 season. So, I’d expect him to have a similar season to those. 
Which is basically a first team squad member. 

Based on his peers in that Ireland squad, 24/25 should be his breakthrough year. 

Yeah completely agree re breakthrough year, however you've said you expect him to be a Championship 'regular' next season. Here's a list of all the 18, 19 and 20 years olds you've listed and their competitive gametime above League 1 (I've included overseas and SPL even though arguably Championship overall is a better standard) just so I'm being completely fair:

Rocco Vata - 3 minutes of SPL action and 87 minutes of cup action

Tayo Adaramola - 875 minutes of JPL (less than 10 games) plus 90 minutes in the cup

Mark O'Mahony - 61 minutes in the PL and 4 full cup games.

Alex Murphy - 11 minutes in the PL

Sam Curtis - 27 minutes in the PL

Aidomo Emakhu - 652 minutes of Championship football (just over 7 games)

Sinclair Armstrong - 1774 minutes in the Championship (just under 20 games)

Andrew Moran - 1849 minutes in the Championship (just over 21 games) plus 4 cup appearances

Connor O'Riordan - 40 minutes of Championship football. Spent 23 games in L2.

You could argue none are Championship regulars or above. I'd say Armstrong and Moran are regulars. Both are 20. The rest have hardly had any minutes. I think the expectation of breakthrough is fine but not regular.