IGNORED

Liam Pre WBA

A friend of mine used to obtain seasonal work as a Santa Claus in a store in Norwich in the early 1990s. He remembers Liam Manning very well.

He said that he was the only 7 year old he's ever encountered who when asked if he was looking forward to Christmas replied that he was looking forward to it as much as any other day of the year, for to raise his spirits over that period would inevitably result in a feeling of depression once the euphoria had been exhausted and consequently would impact negatively on his ability to learn how to read and comprehend the tactical jargon and nuances contained within the six thick coaching manuals, without pictures, his Uncle had given him last Christmas.

When asked if he had enjoyed meeting Santa, Liam said that he had found the encounter far from pleasurable, indeed, rather alarming as nothing he had read in the manuals provided any indication as to how to stop anyone in a red and white kit giving away so many presents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair to him, I think he is more saying that you need to keep focussed on the job in hand, which is a more “traditional” message, he just frames it really badly. Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

The trouble is he’s got himself in this unhelpful language and he can’t seem to change. But what he really means, as opposed to “got too emotional” when conceding is “we switched off”.

Its one of many things he needs to improve (it’s not the biggest bit) but he would, ironically, definitely benefit from a bit of coaching on how to present himself and connect “emotionally”

I agree up to a point. For many years, especially in relation to the England team, people would bang on about "passion", often claiming foreign teams couldn't match us for it or complaining that players didn't show enough.

It was nonsense of course as coolness under pressure is important in winning games. But of course you need the right mix of both.

So I wouldn't say Liam is wrong rather that he over emphasises one over the other. He compounds the problem by saying the same thing week after week, giving the impression that he has a very narrow range of ideas. It may be no big deal if it irritates fans but my concern is whether it reflects the way he talks to the players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agree up to a point. For many years, especially in relation to the England team, people would bang on about "passion", often claiming foreign teams couldn't match us for it or complaining that players didn't show enough.

It was nonsense of course as coolness under pressure is important in winning games. But of course you need the right mix of both.

So I wouldn't say Liam is wrong rather that he over emphasises one over the other. He compounds the problem by saying the same thing week after week, giving the impression that he has a very narrow range of ideas. It may be no big deal if it irritates fans but my concern is whether it reflects the way he talks to the players.

There's so much to say about how that message is delivered! And by whom!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Taylor Gardiner Haskins mentioned the phrase “on the grass” during his interview.  He’s reprogrammed the players!

Who’s playing Yul Brinner and gonna go rogue?  Kal Naismith was going that way before his hair transplant!

Joe Williams called him a “skinny baldy”

Edited by Davefevs

On 14/03/2024 at 21:00, noize said:

two losses from being in a relegation scrap. How exciting, we won our last league game so by my calculations in our next 3 we should lose two, and draw one.

As i was saying :(