IGNORED

Liam Pre WBA

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He hasn’t got to that chapter yet . 

ah,the famous book,the oone that our leaders looked at the pictures and thought 'yep,thats the way to do it' liams reading the text  and cant fathom out why hes being asked to implement 'How not to play championship football' by JR Hartley

12 hours ago, Ben1980 said:

Great post. It’s not rocket science - don’t get why he doesn’t at least try to connect with fans. 

The Oxford fans said he was robotic despite their relative short term success and didn’t connect with them either. 

He’s got zero charisma and makes no attempt to engage the fan base; and if he is successful I am sure he will be off as soon as possible. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

IIRC when it was initially mentioned, it was that they were consulting externally, and that sounded proactive.

But when Manning was quizzed, he said it was more Del Bonsu asking around his “network”.

It was rather bizarre. 

At first it was framed as were going to get a consultancy firm in to audit all our processes. So all sounds good. 

However when then quizzed it was something like "I'm going to speak to my mate" 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, One Team said:

The Oxford fans said he was robotic despite their relative short term success and didn’t connect with them either. 

He’s got zero charisma and makes no attempt to engage the fan base; and if he is successful I am sure he will be off as soon as possible. 

If pigs fly 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

ah,the famous book,the oone that our leaders looked at the pictures and thought 'yep,thats the way to do it' liams reading the text  and cant fathom out why hes being asked to implement 'How not to play championship football' by JR Hartley

IMG_0389.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick Manning up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Compare and contrast to the previous bloke who took a genuine interest in the area and the club.

The difference couldn't be more stark. Or more dispiriting.

Good results will help Manning, obviously, but if I try to imagine a really successful season under him, I get the feeling it would still somehow be a joyless experience - certainly compared to some previous managers - with victories delivered in a cold, clinical, "don't get too high, don't get too low" manner. And at the end of it all we'd still be none the wiser about who he is or what he's like.

But that's enough hypothetical, pigs might fly, nonsense from me today already.   

IMG_8548.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I watched it all through . . . Well, most of it, I think. I did doze off three times. He is just so uninspiring. He's a cross between Keith Millen and a library book attendant.

Think that’s harsh on Millen.

If you ever listened to “a cider with…” he’s a pretty funny bloke & night & day personality wise from Manning.

This bloke reminds me far more of John Ward who was also dull beyond belief.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick him up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Compare and contrast to the previous bloke who took a genuine interest in the area and the club.

The difference couldn't be more stark. And more dispiriting.

Good results will help Manning, obviously, but if I try to imagine a really successful season under him, I get the feeling it would still somehow be a joyless experience - certainly compared to some previous managers - with victories delivered in a cold, clinical, "don't get too high, don't get too low" manner. And at the end of it all we'd still be none the wiser about who he is or what he's like.

I worry he may think he has found a formula for success . 
Stifle the life out of the game for 45-60 minutes , then hope to try and win it. 

I swear I felt better about things just after Cardiff away.  Decimated by injuries and beaten , but it felt different . I was optimistic about what would happen with players returning and some winnable games coming. The Manager was clearly interested in the whole Club, watched the Academy & the Women and seemed to have a vision. 
FF to now and there seems a bit disconnect . 

I'd say Joyless is the right word.

I hope I'm wrong , wins do change everything , we shall see. 

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick Manning up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Brilliant post, absolutely nailed it there. When he leaves (as he clearly will, one way of another) you can see seeing exactly the same things elsewhere. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Great post this.  With minor exceptions and for the majority of the game, the biggest difference I am seeing on match day, is that the players now seem full of self doubt, and lack the confidence they previously had to get at teams.  This is almost certainly down to the coaching and tactics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

A bit harsh, I mean just look at this quote from when he joined…..Oxford

IMG_2742.jpeg

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Or this. He clearly doesn’t say the same thing come what may…

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg

That last paragraph screams at me.

He's always mentioning ' Emotions'...and how to control them. 

He says controlling comes with age and experience and time. 

Yet they want to get rid of the experience and age, and replace with inexperienced and youth for this level.

• Flames 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

That last paragraph screams at me.

He's always mentioning ' Emotions'...and how to control them. 

He says controlling comes with age and experience and time. 

Yet they want to get rid of the experience and age, and replace with inexperienced and youth for this level.

To be fair to him, I think he is more saying that you need to keep focussed on the job in hand, which is a more “traditional” message, he just frames it really badly. Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

The trouble is he’s got himself in this unhelpful language and he can’t seem to change. But what he really means, as opposed to “got too emotional” when conceding is “we switched off”.

Its one of many things he needs to improve (it’s not the biggest bit) but he would, ironically, definitely benefit from a bit of coaching on how to present himself and connect “emotionally”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I worry he may think he has found a formula for success . 
Stifle the life out of the game for 45-60 minutes , then hope to try and win it. 

I swear I felt better about things just after Cardiff away.  Decimated by injuries and beaten , but it felt different . I was optimistic about what would happen with players returning and some winnable games coming. The Manager was clearly interested in the whole Club, watched the Academy & the Women and seemed to have a vision. 
FF to now and there seems a bit disconnect . 

I'd say Joyless is the right word.

I hope I'm wrong , wins do change everything , we shall see. 

Problem with that approach is where do you go if you go one down?  On Sunday only one team was winning that 1-0 for an hour, and that was Swansea.  Thankfully they were pretty blunt.  And I know it’s ifs buts and maybes, but Placheta’s chance was a real sliding-doors moment.

The most concerning aspect for me was not that we sat in a block when Swansea had it, but that when we did get it back, we gave it away so cheaply.  I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented, and therefore easily negated by our opponent.  This was not a gritty, structured defensive set-up against a higher quality opponent (Southampton, Forest, etc) where you kinda accept they are gonna see more of the ball.  And even in those games we played when we could.  We didn’t play at all v Swansea for an hour, and when we eventually did, it wasn’t really counterattacks (like Southampton) it was playing a bit more pragmatically (direct) and picking up the bits and pieces, or squeezing their build-up from keeper to go long, and then pick up the bits and pieces further up the pitch.

IMG_0005.jpeg.d6da9df5f51a65347ded7ea61f8af5c6.jpeg

You can always read into these what you like, but that 15 / 20 mins after Placheta’s shot and our goal came when out position “up the pitch” was the highest, and our press intensity was good.  We inevitably dropped off a bit once we scored.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.6f5bc0b420bcd178bef5843571dd21cb.jpeg

Our chances came in that period too.

It was also the period where we out-duelled Swansea!

I do like it when the data does back-up what (in the main) I saw and posted on the FBC thread.

@Silvio Dante “autopilot”!!!

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

I think he uses it incorrectly and contradicts himself regularly on this usage.

• Like 2

Just all nonsense, isn't it?

"Don't get too high, don't get too low, emotional etc" more about processes than results yet says he was delighted and that we were outstanding against Swansea.

The week before against Cardiff, Mr Don't get too emotional was annoyed and angry apparently.

Says he's always learning. "OK so what have you changed after learning about the team?" "Well nothing the processes are still the same, right?"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Problem with that approach is where do you go if you go one down?  On Sunday only one team was winning that 1-0 for an hour, and that was Swansea.  Thankfully they were pretty blunt.  And I know it’s ifs buts and maybes, but Placheta’s chance was a real sliding-doors moment.

The most concerning aspect for me was not that we sat in a block when Swansea had it, but that when we did get it back, we gave it away so cheaply.  I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented, and therefore easily negated by our opponent.  This was not a gritty, structured defensive set-up against a higher quality opponent (Southampton, Forest, etc) where you kinda accept they are gonna see more of the ball.  And even in those games we played when we could.  We didn’t play at all v Swansea for an hour, and when we eventually did, it wasn’t really counterattacks (like Southampton) it was playing a bit more pragmatically (direct) and picking up the bits and pieces, or squeezing their build-up from keeper to go long, and then pick up the bits and pieces further up the pitch.

I think if they go 1-0 , it wouldn't end 1-0 . They were passing around us anyway, we stopped them getting too close, if we were forced to come out , then I think they would have coasted it.

"I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented"

That's another worry . Take all the spontaneity individuality & creativity out of a team , you have robots that are easily countered IMO. 

That graph is telling , it's like all the enjoyment and excitement flat lining.

Screenshot2024-03-15at09_45_10.png.1fe33208a28430fd54640de90ad2f1e9.png

For an hour there was no intent in the team at all . Close , block but no press or tempo. 

If the game plan is always the same, and always right , not sure what Swansea was . 

None of this makes sense. 
No continuity in the appointment , from style, set up or to push on short term . Then in Manning himself , he's tried his preferred style on the players ( not sure if that's front foot & exciting ) that didn't work well , so he's almost gone a full 180* and played anti football. Goodness only knows what happens next . While it did feel a little like a must win game to us, it clearly was that way to him .
I'm out Saturday and I doubt I'll be able to watch , I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on here .

• Like 1