IGNORED

Liam Pre WBA

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fed up with the bloke.

At the end of the season he should donate a month’s wages to Zak & Rob Dickie, seeing as they’ve had to play virtually every game because he’s seemingly never fit.

Cornick takes plenty of flak on here, but just like Anis, since joining he’s yet to miss a single game. He might not be the greatest but at least he’s available to play his part.

If anyone is interested in taking Naismith off our hands this summer I’d snap their hand off.

just hope he isnt another one that plays out of his skin to get new contract then go sick again

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Fed up with the bloke.

At the end of the season he should donate a month’s wages to Zak & Rob Dickie, seeing as they’ve had to play virtually every game because he’s seemingly never fit.

Cornick takes plenty of flak on here, but just like Anis, since joining he’s yet to miss a single game. He might not be the greatest but at least he’s available to play his part.

If anyone is interested in taking Naismith off our hands this summer I’d snap their hand off.

Both he and Cornick should have stayed at Luton. Bet they regret it. 

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

No car crashes this time. However I counted seven Southamptons!

Biggest news is that Twine fit, Tanner maybe but Naismith out and from the sounds of it for the season.

5 hours ago, 95red said:

Listened for 30 seconds  turned off to watch some paint dry .

4 hours ago, One Team said:

Just cannot listen to him unfortunately or get remotely excited. 

4 hours ago, Roe said:

I got to 4:34 til he mentioned Southampton and then had to stop

4 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Something I’ll never get listening to Manning speak. 

3 hours ago, Street red said:

Rather watch my kettle boil 😂

33 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

He makes me want to sit in the bath with the ******* toaster.

I am seriously considering going to FGR on the day of the Leicester game. 

The bloke is simply awful. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Now there’s a shock. I wonder how our internal investigation is getting on for why we get so many injuries! 🤔🙄

The bloke doing the internal investigation pulled a hamstring. Don’t worry he’ll complete the investigation when he’s back fighting fit in 2 weeks….. or maybe 6 months. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Mendip City said:

The bloke doing the internal investigation pulled a hamstring. Don’t worry he’ll complete the investigation when he’s back fighting fit in 2 weeks….. or maybe 6 months. 

IIRC when it was initially mentioned, it was that they were consulting externally, and that sounded proactive.

But when Manning was quizzed, he said it was more Del Bonsu asking around his “network”.

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

IIRC when it was initially mentioned, it was that they were consulting externally, and that sounded proactive.

But when Manning was quizzed, he said it was more Del Bonsu asking around his “network”.

Sounds about right. “Yeah I’ve chatted to few mates and it turns out we’re perfect… and don’t forget we beat Southampton once and everyone was happy oh and Brian says we need to take less time off training in order to stay fit and well, he’s been here 30 years, so it must be true.”

Case closed. 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

No car crashes this time. However I counted seven Southamptons!

Biggest news is that Twine fit, Tanner maybe but Naismith out and from the sounds of it for the season.

Love the bit where he says we were a “bit more on the front foot” in the second half, considering we were practically going backwards in the first half.

Listen out for the answer, around 4 minutes, to the follow up question “have you learned much since coming to Ashton Gate” (reply - yes I have. Follow up question- what have you learned?).

The answer - 2 minutes of utter inanity. 

Not to mention his remit wasn’t to learn, it was to have a Top 6 quality squad, err, in the Top 6.

Not in the slightest bit impressed, and this coming from somebody that - until the appointment of Lee frockin Johnson - I backed every single manager ever appointed by this shambles, including, on here, Brian Tinnion at his managerial nadir. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Tinnion. This is on you!  

Manning produce a team that’s not scared to play football or **^^ off!

dont be too harsh on manning,i think he could do it if he was allowed to. tinnion is most likely pulling the strings on how we are playing, no manager in the efl would stick to plan A for as long as he has unless their job depended on it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He hasn’t got to that chapter yet . 

ah,the famous book,the oone that our leaders looked at the pictures and thought 'yep,thats the way to do it' liams reading the text  and cant fathom out why hes being asked to implement 'How not to play championship football' by JR Hartley

12 hours ago, Ben1980 said:

Great post. It’s not rocket science - don’t get why he doesn’t at least try to connect with fans. 

The Oxford fans said he was robotic despite their relative short term success and didn’t connect with them either. 

He’s got zero charisma and makes no attempt to engage the fan base; and if he is successful I am sure he will be off as soon as possible. 

Edited by One Team
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Swede said:

I watched it all through . . . Well, most of it, I think. I did doze off three times. He is just so uninspiring. He's a cross between Keith Millen and a library book attendant.

Keith Millen is Russ Abbot compared to R2D2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It was rather bizarre. 

At first it was framed as were going to get a consultancy firm in to audit all our processes. So all sounds good. 

However when then quizzed it was something like "I'm going to speak to my mate" 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, One Team said:

The Oxford fans said he was robotic despite their relative short term success and didn’t connect with them either. 

He’s got zero charisma and makes no attempt to engage the fan base; and if he is successful I am sure he will be off as soon as possible. 

If pigs fly 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

ah,the famous book,the oone that our leaders looked at the pictures and thought 'yep,thats the way to do it' liams reading the text  and cant fathom out why hes being asked to implement 'How not to play championship football' by JR Hartley

IMG_0389.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick Manning up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Compare and contrast to the previous bloke who took a genuine interest in the area and the club.

The difference couldn't be more stark. Or more dispiriting.

Good results will help Manning, obviously, but if I try to imagine a really successful season under him, I get the feeling it would still somehow be a joyless experience - certainly compared to some previous managers - with victories delivered in a cold, clinical, "don't get too high, don't get too low" manner. And at the end of it all we'd still be none the wiser about who he is or what he's like.

But that's enough hypothetical, pigs might fly, nonsense from me today already.   

IMG_8548.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I watched it all through . . . Well, most of it, I think. I did doze off three times. He is just so uninspiring. He's a cross between Keith Millen and a library book attendant.

Think that’s harsh on Millen.

If you ever listened to “a cider with…” he’s a pretty funny bloke & night & day personality wise from Manning.

This bloke reminds me far more of John Ward who was also dull beyond belief.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick him up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Compare and contrast to the previous bloke who took a genuine interest in the area and the club.

The difference couldn't be more stark. And more dispiriting.

Good results will help Manning, obviously, but if I try to imagine a really successful season under him, I get the feeling it would still somehow be a joyless experience - certainly compared to some previous managers - with victories delivered in a cold, clinical, "don't get too high, don't get too low" manner. And at the end of it all we'd still be none the wiser about who he is or what he's like.

I worry he may think he has found a formula for success . 
Stifle the life out of the game for 45-60 minutes , then hope to try and win it. 

I swear I felt better about things just after Cardiff away.  Decimated by injuries and beaten , but it felt different . I was optimistic about what would happen with players returning and some winnable games coming. The Manager was clearly interested in the whole Club, watched the Academy & the Women and seemed to have a vision. 
FF to now and there seems a bit disconnect . 

I'd say Joyless is the right word.

I hope I'm wrong , wins do change everything , we shall see. 

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

You could literally pick Manning up and put him down at any club, anywhere in the country, and he would say the same things.

Brilliant post, absolutely nailed it there. When he leaves (as he clearly will, one way of another) you can see seeing exactly the same things elsewhere. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Great post this.  With minor exceptions and for the majority of the game, the biggest difference I am seeing on match day, is that the players now seem full of self doubt, and lack the confidence they previously had to get at teams.  This is almost certainly down to the coaching and tactics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

A bit harsh, I mean just look at this quote from when he joined…..Oxford

IMG_2742.jpeg

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Or this. He clearly doesn’t say the same thing come what may…

IMG_2743.jpeg

IMG_2744.jpeg

That last paragraph screams at me.

He's always mentioning ' Emotions'...and how to control them. 

He says controlling comes with age and experience and time. 

Yet they want to get rid of the experience and age, and replace with inexperienced and youth for this level.

• Flames 2

1 minute ago, spudski said:

That last paragraph screams at me.

He's always mentioning ' Emotions'...and how to control them. 

He says controlling comes with age and experience and time. 

Yet they want to get rid of the experience and age, and replace with inexperienced and youth for this level.

To be fair to him, I think he is more saying that you need to keep focussed on the job in hand, which is a more “traditional” message, he just frames it really badly. Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

The trouble is he’s got himself in this unhelpful language and he can’t seem to change. But what he really means, as opposed to “got too emotional” when conceding is “we switched off”.

Its one of many things he needs to improve (it’s not the biggest bit) but he would, ironically, definitely benefit from a bit of coaching on how to present himself and connect “emotionally”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I worry he may think he has found a formula for success . 
Stifle the life out of the game for 45-60 minutes , then hope to try and win it. 

I swear I felt better about things just after Cardiff away.  Decimated by injuries and beaten , but it felt different . I was optimistic about what would happen with players returning and some winnable games coming. The Manager was clearly interested in the whole Club, watched the Academy & the Women and seemed to have a vision. 
FF to now and there seems a bit disconnect . 

I'd say Joyless is the right word.

I hope I'm wrong , wins do change everything , we shall see. 

Problem with that approach is where do you go if you go one down?  On Sunday only one team was winning that 1-0 for an hour, and that was Swansea.  Thankfully they were pretty blunt.  And I know it’s ifs buts and maybes, but Placheta’s chance was a real sliding-doors moment.

The most concerning aspect for me was not that we sat in a block when Swansea had it, but that when we did get it back, we gave it away so cheaply.  I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented, and therefore easily negated by our opponent.  This was not a gritty, structured defensive set-up against a higher quality opponent (Southampton, Forest, etc) where you kinda accept they are gonna see more of the ball.  And even in those games we played when we could.  We didn’t play at all v Swansea for an hour, and when we eventually did, it wasn’t really counterattacks (like Southampton) it was playing a bit more pragmatically (direct) and picking up the bits and pieces, or squeezing their build-up from keeper to go long, and then pick up the bits and pieces further up the pitch.

IMG_0005.jpeg.d6da9df5f51a65347ded7ea61f8af5c6.jpeg

You can always read into these what you like, but that 15 / 20 mins after Placheta’s shot and our goal came when out position “up the pitch” was the highest, and our press intensity was good.  We inevitably dropped off a bit once we scored.

IMG_0006.thumb.jpeg.6f5bc0b420bcd178bef5843571dd21cb.jpeg

Our chances came in that period too.

It was also the period where we out-duelled Swansea!

I do like it when the data does back-up what (in the main) I saw and posted on the FBC thread.

@Silvio Dante “autopilot”!!!

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

I think he uses it incorrectly and contradicts himself regularly on this usage.

• Like 2

Just all nonsense, isn't it?

"Don't get too high, don't get too low, emotional etc" more about processes than results yet says he was delighted and that we were outstanding against Swansea.

The week before against Cardiff, Mr Don't get too emotional was annoyed and angry apparently.

Says he's always learning. "OK so what have you changed after learning about the team?" "Well nothing the processes are still the same, right?"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Problem with that approach is where do you go if you go one down?  On Sunday only one team was winning that 1-0 for an hour, and that was Swansea.  Thankfully they were pretty blunt.  And I know it’s ifs buts and maybes, but Placheta’s chance was a real sliding-doors moment.

The most concerning aspect for me was not that we sat in a block when Swansea had it, but that when we did get it back, we gave it away so cheaply.  I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented, and therefore easily negated by our opponent.  This was not a gritty, structured defensive set-up against a higher quality opponent (Southampton, Forest, etc) where you kinda accept they are gonna see more of the ball.  And even in those games we played when we could.  We didn’t play at all v Swansea for an hour, and when we eventually did, it wasn’t really counterattacks (like Southampton) it was playing a bit more pragmatically (direct) and picking up the bits and pieces, or squeezing their build-up from keeper to go long, and then pick up the bits and pieces further up the pitch.

I think if they go 1-0 , it wouldn't end 1-0 . They were passing around us anyway, we stopped them getting too close, if we were forced to come out , then I think they would have coasted it.

"I get the impression our patterns are pretty regimented"

That's another worry . Take all the spontaneity individuality & creativity out of a team , you have robots that are easily countered IMO. 

That graph is telling , it's like all the enjoyment and excitement flat lining.

Screenshot2024-03-15at09_45_10.png.1fe33208a28430fd54640de90ad2f1e9.png

For an hour there was no intent in the team at all . Close , block but no press or tempo. 

If the game plan is always the same, and always right , not sure what Swansea was . 

None of this makes sense. 
No continuity in the appointment , from style, set up or to push on short term . Then in Manning himself , he's tried his preferred style on the players ( not sure if that's front foot & exciting ) that didn't work well , so he's almost gone a full 180* and played anti football. Goodness only knows what happens next . While it did feel a little like a must win game to us, it clearly was that way to him .
I'm out Saturday and I doubt I'll be able to watch , I'm looking forward to seeing what happens on here .

• Like 1

A friend of mine used to obtain seasonal work as a Santa Claus in a store in Norwich in the early 1990s. He remembers Liam Manning very well.

He said that he was the only 7 year old he's ever encountered who when asked if he was looking forward to Christmas replied that he was looking forward to it as much as any other day of the year, for to raise his spirits over that period would inevitably result in a feeling of depression once the euphoria had been exhausted and consequently would impact negatively on his ability to learn how to read and comprehend the tactical jargon and nuances contained within the six thick coaching manuals, without pictures, his Uncle had given him last Christmas.

When asked if he had enjoyed meeting Santa, Liam said that he had found the encounter far from pleasurable, indeed, rather alarming as nothing he had read in the manuals provided any indication as to how to stop anyone in a red and white kit giving away so many presents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair to him, I think he is more saying that you need to keep focussed on the job in hand, which is a more “traditional” message, he just frames it really badly. Emotion/Emotional is a really poor word for a coach to use to fans because they’re naturally emotional about their team - and want players to be as well.

The trouble is he’s got himself in this unhelpful language and he can’t seem to change. But what he really means, as opposed to “got too emotional” when conceding is “we switched off”.

Its one of many things he needs to improve (it’s not the biggest bit) but he would, ironically, definitely benefit from a bit of coaching on how to present himself and connect “emotionally”

I agree up to a point. For many years, especially in relation to the England team, people would bang on about "passion", often claiming foreign teams couldn't match us for it or complaining that players didn't show enough.

It was nonsense of course as coolness under pressure is important in winning games. But of course you need the right mix of both.

So I wouldn't say Liam is wrong rather that he over emphasises one over the other. He compounds the problem by saying the same thing week after week, giving the impression that he has a very narrow range of ideas. It may be no big deal if it irritates fans but my concern is whether it reflects the way he talks to the players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I agree up to a point. For many years, especially in relation to the England team, people would bang on about "passion", often claiming foreign teams couldn't match us for it or complaining that players didn't show enough.

It was nonsense of course as coolness under pressure is important in winning games. But of course you need the right mix of both.

So I wouldn't say Liam is wrong rather that he over emphasises one over the other. He compounds the problem by saying the same thing week after week, giving the impression that he has a very narrow range of ideas. It may be no big deal if it irritates fans but my concern is whether it reflects the way he talks to the players.

There's so much to say about how that message is delivered! And by whom!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graham76 said:

Taylor Gardiner Haskins mentioned the phrase “on the grass” during his interview.  He’s reprogrammed the players!

Who’s playing Yul Brinner and gonna go rogue?  Kal Naismith was going that way before his hair transplant!

Joe Williams called him a “skinny baldy”

Edited by Davefevs

On 14/03/2024 at 21:00, noize said:

two losses from being in a relegation scrap. How exciting, we won our last league game so by my calculations in our next 3 we should lose two, and draw one.

As i was saying :(