IGNORED

Just Back From WBA

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

…and fully appreciate those who got a stream may have seen some things differently, haven’t checked in in the match thread to see consensus.

I had BBC WM on for the journey home (incidentally when discussing Fellows they noted that he hoped he didn’t get too big for his boots “like the lad playing for Bristol City” - so the story there will be interesting), and the first thing they asked Corberan was if he expected the opposition to sit 11 men behind the ball - and he confirmed he did as it’s how we play.

And that’s really what the first half was. It was slow, it was ponderous. Save the Tommy chance we didn’t look threatening - which was daft as the two centre backs for WBA looked very uncertain and an aggressive press could have undone them. But as the half wore on, they ran at us more, and probably finished the half stronger. The goal was a touch unfortunate for Max and without the guy in his line of sight I think he saves it, but ultimately we were 1-0 down because no intent was shown.

And that was the case until the last 20. We were carved for the second and only a great tackle from Vyner prevented a third, which WBA should also have had with a shot from 18 yards. The city fans were shouting “we’re ****ing shit” and there were muted chants of “We want Nigel Pearson”. The fact that for most of the second half city fans were chanting “we’ve got the ball/lost the ball” shows how bad it was.

But on that last 20 again. It was better for two reasons - firstly because WBA let it be, swapping out Wallace and Diangara. But it was also because we pressed a bit more intently and pressured a defence that wasn’t great on the ball. And that was bloody obvious from very early on.

The subs again were formulaic. Only thing that was a formation change you’d argue (other than wing switches) was Knight back into CM and Twine playing a bit higher, but again the process was the process and let’s not change that.

Genuinely despondent as to where we go with this bloke.

Reaction at final whistle? 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

…and fully appreciate those who got a stream may have seen some things differently, haven’t checked in in the match thread to see consensus.

I had BBC WM on for the journey home (incidentally when discussing Fellows they noted that he hoped he didn’t get too big for his boots “like the lad playing for Bristol City” - so the story there will be interesting), and the first thing they asked Corberan was if he expected the opposition to sit 11 men behind the ball - and he confirmed he did as it’s how we play.

And that’s really what the first half was. It was slow, it was ponderous. Save the Tommy chance we didn’t look threatening - which was daft as the two centre backs for WBA looked very uncertain and an aggressive press could have undone them. But as the half wore on, they ran at us more, and probably finished the half stronger. The goal was a touch unfortunate for Max and without the guy in his line of sight I think he saves it, but ultimately we were 1-0 down because no intent was shown.

And that was the case until the last 20. We were carved for the second and only a great tackle from Vyner prevented a third, which WBA should also have had with a shot from 18 yards. The city fans were shouting “we’re ****ing shit” and there were muted chants of “We want Nigel Pearson”. The fact that for most of the second half city fans were chanting “we’ve got the ball/lost the ball” shows how bad it was.

But on that last 20 again. It was better for two reasons - firstly because WBA let it be, swapping out Wallace and Diangara. But it was also because we pressed a bit more intently and pressured a defence that wasn’t great on the ball. And that was bloody obvious from very early on.

The subs again were formulaic. Only thing that was a formation change you’d argue (other than wing switches) was Knight back into CM and Twine playing a bit higher, but again the process was the process and let’s not change that.

Genuinely despondent as to where we go with this bloke.

League One

• Thanks 1

In all seriousness when fans can’t think of anything better to sing than songs taking the piss out of their own side then you have big issues. Doesn’t matter how much the hierarchy detest the fans that’s something they’ll ignore at their peril.

• Like 13
  • Robin 3

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In all seriousness when fans can’t think of anything better to sing than songs taking the piss out of their own side then you have big issues. Doesn’t matter how much the hierarchy detest the fans that’s something they’ll ignore at their peril.

I didn’t mention earlier but the first half was so tedious that the fans spent virtually all of it taking the mickey out of a WBA fan (“Sit down in the family stand” “tracksuits from matalan” etc), and the Albion fans were pretty much silent.

Having listened to Liams interview he seems to have really liked that first half.

I can only assume he absolutely ****ing hates football.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I didn’t mention earlier but the first half was so tedious that the fans spent virtually all of it taking the mickey out of a WBA fan (“Sit down in the family stand” “tracksuits from matalan” etc), and the Albion fans were pretty much silent.

Having listened to Liams interview he seems to have really liked that first half.

5 Live reporter, called the game 'anaemic' after 25 mins.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Brace yourself, because I think he’s under more pressure than a few on here think & so his masterplan is what we saw today & against Swansea.

Put 10 men behind the ball, surrender space & try to stop the opposition playing.

He thinks it works because basically until they scored right on half time with a goal that certainly could have been disallowed for offside, nothing whatsoever had happened.

It might be worth taking a book along to the Leicester game as he’s going to set us up like that again.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nugget said:

A bring back Nige chant at home would really be a punt in the nuts to the ones that put us in this mess. 

The next game is possibly the worst game the board and Liam could have. Massive unrest with performance and some chants for the ex manager and we play a team who absolutely idolise Pearson. I can only imagine what the collective chants in the ground may be.

• Like 14
  • Flames 3

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Brace yourself, because I think he’s under more pressure than a few on here think & so his masterplan is what we saw today & against Swansea.

Put 10 men behind the ball, surrender space & try to stop the opposition playing.

He thinks it works because basically until they scored right on half time with a goal that certainly could have been disallowed for offside, nothing whatsoever had happened.

It might be worth taking a book along to the Leicester game as he’s going to set us up like that again.

I think he’s absolutely under pressure. There are little tells of it everywhere, Tinnions tetchy interview, the little digs about the atmosphere, Liams excuses. People like to say the forum isn’t reflective of the fanbase - it absolutely is. Look anywhere. 

I still don’t hold any surety he sees the season out.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

12 minutes ago, Nugget said:

A bring back Nige chant at home would really be a punt in the nuts to the ones that put us in this mess. 

I'm looking forward to the day Nige brings another team to the Gate to hear the welcome he gets, maybe then the Muppets in charge will get the message 🤞

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

Still on the train on the way home, same as most Saturdays under Manning, good day out ruined by boring football. 
The back four can defend, but haven’t got anything else going for us!!
Lots of Manning out chants today, and the odd “we want our Pearson back”.  
I stayed until the end, boos rang out, followed by more boos and abuse when the players came over to applied us (a few clapped back).

Don’t know where we go from here, crap under Manning, but wouldn’t trust the board to get the right man if he was sacked… would probably end up with BT until the end of the season!!! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Back foot defensive football, eh?

Just what we were promised.

Interesting that Lansdown Snr was there today.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Roe said:

I think the most frustrating part is just how obvious the answer is.

We were already struggling after significant budget cuts and lack of re-investment.  Our wonderful owner/chairman/"board" then decided we didn't need any CEO, binned off the most experienced manager we've ever had, got rid of 2 other highly respected coaches and one of the best medical people we've ever had as well.

They replace with an absolute nobody and essentially set him up to fail by giving him an unrealistic starting target and virtually no support from above.

But hey, at least we beat Swindon under 18s 😂😂😂

Don’t forget. Southampton 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Back foot defensive football, eh?

Just what we were promised.

Interesting that Lansdown Snr was there today.

How often does he attend away games? West Brom have new owners? Does seem strange he was in attendance.

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The fact Steve Lansdown is back attending games says all we need to know. 

I don’t know about you, but if my ultimate boss started showing up to my workplace to assess my performance I’d serve up the most turgid uninspiring shit I could.

Oh, that’s right I wouldn’t. Because I’m not an arsehole 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1