IGNORED

The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the end

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm prepared to give him the summer and maybe the first dozen games of next season. If there are no real signs of improvement/progress by then, I'll accept that he isn't right for the job

Do you think you’ll already know that come season end?  Or do you really need really need 20 (8+12) and a window to assess?

Fine if you do.

I’ve seen enough.  I don’t think he can change.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm prepared to give him the summer and maybe the first dozen games of next season. If there are no real signs of improvement/progress by then, I'll accept that he isn't right for the job

He won't! Coaches dont succeed at this football club and even worse he's inexperienced. You dont learn on the job at Bristol City FC.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you think you’ll already know that come season end?  Or do you really need really need 20 (8+12) and a window to assess?

Fine if you do.

I’ve seen enough.  I don’t think he can change.

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

He won't! Coaches dont succeed at this football club and even worse he's inexperienced. You dont learn on the job at Bristol City FC.

I think if we'd lost every game under his tenure, then I'd be calling for his head right now. The fact is, though, there have been glimpses of good quality - and i'm curious to see what he could do given a transfer window

• Confused 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 6

34 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

He's undoubtedly an intelligent guy who understands the technicalities of football 

I work in a technical field and work with individuals who have a great understanding of the technicalities, far better than I will have, or actually want.

Would you ever put them in a managerial role to make the business a success?  Never.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Peak City would be this-

Tinnion takes over “until the end of the season”

We go on a decent run, 5 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat. 

we appoint Tinnion to a 3 year deal, Jon says “judge me on tinnion” 

We sign Grant Smith and Matt Heywood in the summer, and then by October Gary Johnson is appointed manager. 

It's a  guarantee that Robbored will not believe that until it's on the OS! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think if we'd lost every game under his tenure, then I'd be calling for his head right now. The fact is, though, there have been glimpses of good quality - and i'm curious to see what he could do given a transfer window

Why ? Can’t you see  he’s not getting a tune  of a squad that should be performing better than it is. Hes not up to it. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The problem with your approach is that assuming no improvement despite spending a load, another manager will be brought in to sort out the mess in October but without a pre-season and with someone else’s choice of players. Now I realise that you could use that argument to defend Manning, but at that point we weren’t a failing team, while league form since the turn of the year is woeful and actually appears to be getting worse as confidence disappears from the players. That downturn is on Manning.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

Well, the good thing this week is that we don't have to put up with yet another thought provoking, entertaining and interesting press conference, observing how he fences with the journos and being captivated by his warm and endearing manner. I shall miss that this week.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Lucky he got the Swansea result as he would have been sacked by now surely. Even though Swans was equally as bad performance wise. So difficult to know what is best, lose a couple more so he goes but then risk is they don’t sack him and the drama goes on and on. I personally think sack him now and admit to the fans it hasn’t worked and apologise. Think the fans would respect that more. 

Don't think that's going to happen, EVER !! :thumbsup:

Edited by bpexile

4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Anyone willing/able to rearrange and share the lyrics of "Go Now !" by the Moody Blues, (which, incidentally, sounds like a good alternative name for the Blue Few).

A song to belt out at the Gate (against Leicester or thereafter) when it becomes even more blindingly obvious that Manning is a disaster.

More me, the writing is already on the wall and it's too late.

But for those  few kindly souls still willing to give him a chance to work a miracle and turn things round, all I can say is, that if Manning pulls off the impossible, I will personally fork out the 50p for Tinnion to enjoy a night of unbridled passion with the hag fair maiden, Irene.

i will give you my joe bryan shirt if you can get her to sit on his face for the next 3 years

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Monkeh said:

If the uptake in season tickets is slow (which is expected by some fans) and he gets 2 more poor performances (not results) then he will be sacked,

I think you make a good point , the board will not only be looking at points but season tickets sales will be more important to them and that could push them making a decision they desperately don't want to make.  

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

But by then he'd have spent a chunk of the nest egg. So this is a manager you already have doubts over being allowed to spend money on players the next manager possibly won't want... Seems a risky strategy that...

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

What when we used the previous managers tactics?

Manning is a fraud, he is not a good coach, he's led the squad into a bigger regression then any other manager in our entire history, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm prepared to give Manning a little more time. He's undoubtedly an intelligent guy who understands the technicalities of football 

I'm a bl00dy clever guy, but I know I'd be sh17 as a manager. Being smart is irrelevant.

As for the 'technicalities of football'...I work in healthcare. I win.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

I'm a bl00dy clever guy, but I know I'd be sh17 as a manager. Being smart is irrelevant.

As for the 'technicalities of football'...I work in healthcare. I win.

I am a manager, being smart is irrelevant being wise however is priceless, to be a good manager you have to have leadership abilities, something Liam doesn't possess,

A good leader will get more out of a team then any manager can 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

The biggest problem with that length of time into next season, is that sitting at the bottom of the Championship table with 3 to 6 points out of thirty six (36) means that we will be absolute certainties for relegation!

Do it now gives the next manager time to rebuild and regenerate the playing staff and their confidence. I don't mean getting a lot of new faces in but getting those already here to regain confidence and tactics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

What when we used the previous managers tactics?

Manning is a fraud, he is not a good coach, he's led the squad into a bigger regression then any other manager in our entire history, 

Very good statement. I go back to 1950 and there's only two that I can think of that were worse for confidence and team spirit.

Peter Doherty in 1958 and Pulis.

Even SO'D and McInnes had some good spells and tried to play football.

12 hours ago, Swede said:

Well, the good thing this week is that we don't have to put up with yet another thought provoking, entertaining and interesting press conference, observing how he fences with the journos and being captivated by his warm and endearing manner. I shall miss that this week.

No, but on the flip side we have to put up with it 3 times in 8 days the week after!

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Even SO'D and McInnes had some good spells and tried to play football.

Both of these also took over terrible teams in dire situations, while they both proved incapable of improving matters (although I do think O’Driscoll did good work behind the scenes but that’s a different conversation), nobody could argue they inherited a decent team and made them significantly worse.

Manning took an over perfectly decent mid table team with a lot going for it, not world beaters, but organised, spirited and athletic. The speed in which he has turned that team into one that plays the worst football since Tony Pulis and takes 12 points from 14 games is staggering really. He also seems to have deprogrammed the players into never being able to do anything at pace, never showing any confidence, ambition or imagination and frankly looking like the broken shells of professional footballers. You can almost see them all constantly second guessing themselves.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Both of these also took over terrible teams in dire situations, while they both proved incapable of improving matters (although I do think O’Driscoll did good work behind the scenes but that’s a different conversation), nobody could argue they inherited a decent team and made them significantly worse.

Manning took an over perfectly decent mid table team with a lot going for it, not world beaters, but organised, spirited and athletic. The speed in which he has turned that team into one that plays the worst football since Tony Pulis and takes 12 points from 14 games is staggering really. He also seems to have deprogrammed the players into never being able to do anything at pace, never showing any confidence, ambition or imagination and frankly looking like the broken shells of professional footballers. You can almost see them all constantly second guessing themselves.

I think this is a point that often gets overlooked. 

Manning has inherited a squad that is far better than any other manager has inherited here in decades and yet has turned it into a squad that is on par with the bad squad's we have had. 

People often try to compare Manning with our past managers but it is an invalid comparison because those managers didn't have a squad like this. 

I remember Manning once saying he gives players solutions. So if abc happens you have the option of doing xy and z and it's up to them to choose the correct option and that's why were seeing them second guessing themselves in my opinion.

He then contradicts himself when he tells players to do that but then to be brave and show some creativity when his principles do not allow that to happen. 

He's not only messed up our season but he has destroyed our players. Our most valuable asset, Tommy Conway is now unrecognisable and that's probably cost us millions.

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Almost absolutely spot on. And I agree with S'oD laying the foundations for what followed.  Also a really interesting manager to read an interview with, even if he was dour to listen to.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that for my money the football is even worse than Penis.  And yes, that does take some doing, but for my money he's somehow managed it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Almost absolutely spot on. And I agree with S'oD laying the foundations for what followed.  Also a really interesting manager to read an interview with, even if he was dour to listen to.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that for my money the football is even worse than Penis.  And yes, that does take some doing, but for my money he's somehow managed it.  

I hated sods time here some of the worst football on show for me and was as bad as tp, but he did alot behind closed doors,

Manning currently is worse, if he'd taken over a team in the bottom and all the problems mcinnes and sod and even Pearson had, we'd be a little more forgiving, but he didn't 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think this is a point that often gets overlooked. 

Manning has inherited a squad that is far better than any other manager has inherited here in decades and yet has turned it into a squad that is on par with the bad squad's we have had. 

People often try to compare Manning with our past managers but it is an invalid comparison because those managers didn't have a squad like this. 

I remember Manning once saying he gives players solutions. So if abc happens you have the option of doing xy and z and it's up to them to choose the correct option and that's why were seeing them second guessing themselves in my opinion.

He then contradicts himself when he tells players to do that but then to be brave and show some creativity when his principles do not allow that to happen. 

He's not only messed up our season but he has destroyed our players. Our most valuable asset, Tommy Conway is now unrecognisable and that's probably cost us millions.

As has been pointed out on another thread, Manning's points total to date is almost identical to what Pearson achieved in his final run (the same number) of games.

And as for Conway, as the old saying goes, form is temporary, class is permanent. So i doubt his lack of goals in half a season will make much difference to his overall value.

• Facepalm 1