IGNORED

The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the end

I don’t think we should underestimate what getting 12 more points from here would actually mean.

59 points is exactly the number we managed last season, I mean they couldn’t possibly be that small minded, could they?

As has already been said, it just seems like muddled thinking.

What if we won 3 drew 2 & lost 3, but the defeats were all performances like the loss at Southampton? What if the 3 wins were all like Swansea?

I was actually far more encouraged by the Ipswich loss than I was by the Swansea win.

Either they think he’s the bloke to take us forward or not, obviously if we lost the lot (we won’t) that is different, but this alleged ultimatum strikes me as the antithesis of leadership.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Say this is true, what would be expectation in those 8 games be? 3 wins with the same performance as against Swansea? 5 defeats but each one is attacking, exciting 5-4 losses?

And do we think the noise around season tickets might force their hand?

I think it would be a balance of results and performance. At the very least they'll expect 9-10 points but more than anything they'd need to see a team capable of competing next season and that is where I think he'd lose his job. There is no way we're going to see a competitive team in all of those 8 games. 

Leicester away - Only chance we have with this game is if Leicester comes looking to thump us and play aggressive opening up the game to suit us. Personally I think having given up a massive points lead at the top of the table they'll be looking to get that top spot back so we'll be getting a very up for it Leicester. 

Plymouth away - in the relegation battle, most likely going to set up not to concede and make things difficult for us, exactly what we struggle with. I could see this being one of those games where we struggle to create a lot. 

Sunderland away - probably one of the games we should be hoping to get points from, they're midtable, far enough behind to make a final push unlikely but also safe from relegation so we should be hoping they're not much up for a scrap. 

Blackburn home - another team who could be in the relegation fight come this game, currently only 3 points of relegation and another team who may set up to frustrate us. 

Huddersfield home - in the relegation zone, a point could be huge for them at the time we play them, definitely going to be looking to set up defensively against us and frustrate. 

Norwich away - Currently in the play offs, if they're still in or around them when we play them they're going to need that win, could play in our favour if they look to bring the game to us but whatever their gameplan they will be up for it. 

Rotherham home - already dead and buried, anything other than a win in this fixture and Manning has to be in trouble. 

Stoke away - also in the relegation battle, kind of hoping they may get enough points to be out of it by this game meaning it could be a little less cagey but if they're in the battle still then I'd expect them to be looking to take the game to us. 

It's not an easy run in, on paper you'd look at alot of those games and say we should be getting points but based on what I've seen under Manning I could see it's dropping a lot of points if he doesn't find a way to overcome our struggle to score goals in own play and break down teams who sit back and frustrate. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I think it would be a balance of results and performance. At the very least they'll expect 9-10 points but more than anything they'd need to see a team capable of competing next season and that is where I think he'd lose his job. There is no way we're going to see a competitive team in all of those 8 games. 

Leicester away - Only chance we have with this game is if Leicester comes looking to thump us and play aggressive opening up the game to suit us. Personally I think having given up a massive points lead at the top of the table they'll be looking to get that top spot back so we'll be getting a very up for it Leicester. 

Plymouth away - in the relegation battle, most likely going to set up not to concede and make things difficult for us, exactly what we struggle with. I could see this being one of those games where we struggle to create a lot. 

Sunderland away - probably one of the games we should be hoping to get points from, they're midtable, far enough behind to make a final push unlikely but also safe from relegation so we should be hoping they're not much up for a scrap. 

Blackburn home - another team who could be in the relegation fight come this game, currently only 3 points of relegation and another team who may set up to frustrate us. 

Huddersfield home - in the relegation zone, a point could be huge for them at the time we play them, definitely going to be looking to set up defensively against us and frustrate. 

Norwich away - Currently in the play offs, if they're still in or around them when we play them they're going to need that win, could play in our favour if they look to bring the game to us but whatever their gameplan they will be up for it. 

Rotherham home - already dead and buried, anything other than a win in this fixture and Manning has to be in trouble. 

Stoke away - also in the relegation battle, kind of hoping they may get enough points to be out of it by this game meaning it could be a little less cagey but if they're in the battle still then I'd expect them to be looking to take the game to us. 

It's not an easy run in, on paper you'd look at alot of those games and say we should be getting points but based on what I've seen under Manning I could see it's dropping a lot of points if he doesn't find a way to overcome our struggle to score goals in own play and break down teams who sit back and frustrate. 

As if they would need to be...

1 hour ago, Jimmo said:

If he does get the boot this season, the Tinman interview that follows will be quite something, even for his standards.

I'm afraid the happy days of Tinman are long gone for me.

It's Tinnion at best from now on.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 42nite said:

I'm afraid the happy days of Tinman are long gone for me.

It's Tinnion at best from now on.

They should write the scarecrow out of The Wizard of Oz 

Clearly the 'Tinman' needs a brain as well as a heart.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham76 said:

You can bet your bottom dollar Tinnion is already in the ear of Jon Lansdown throwing Manning under the bus.  

Manning would be safe if thrown under the bus... There's a whole team that he's thrown under it for the bus to get past before it reaches him.

As for Tinnion. I'm sure he was quoted recently as admitting that going into management was the wrong career path for him. I'd be surprised if he manoeuvred himself into that role. 

The worry for me is that Manning resorts to more Nige style of play and keeps his job before reverting to type next season and getting sacked after spending all of the nest egg over the summer.

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, marmite said:

If there is a decision to be made it must be taken during the s/t renewal window surely.

If the uptake in season tickets is slow (which is expected by some fans) and he gets 2 more poor performances (not results) then he will be sacked,

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

If the uptake in season tickets is slow (which is expected by some fans) and he gets 2 more poor performances (not results) then he will be sacked,

I think he’s gone come what may. As you say season tickets will be a factor, SL will have seen the sparse crowds and the unrest permeating all round the club. 

It’d be a comeback of epic proportions to deliver both performances and results needed in the last eight to both convince SL to let him have funds and convince the fanbase he’s the right man.

My feeling is that a loss against Leicester and a “non win” against Plymouth sees them pull the trigger. They should now, but I agree that’s the likely timeline - we can’t get to he’s got six games to save his job, five games etc.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think he’s gone come what may. As you say season tickets will be a factor, SL will have seen the sparse crowds and the unrest permeating all round the club. 

It’d be a comeback of epic proportions to deliver both performances and results needed in the last eight to both convince SL to let him have funds and convince the fanbase he’s the right man.

My feeling is that a loss against Leicester and a “non win” against Plymouth sees them pull the trigger. They should now, but I agree that’s the likely timeline - we can’t get to he’s got six games to save his job, five games etc.

I agree mate but really depends how the Leicester game goes. If we win, great, maybe it’s a stay of execution or even a turning point. If we are losing, especially badly, it could be really bad especially with the Nige/Leicester thing. You can, for example, easily see a scenario where there are chants against Manning and for Nige if it’s a heavy defeat. 

10 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Tinnion takes over “until the end of the season”

We go on a decent run, 5 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat. 

we appoint Tinnion to a 3 year deal, Jon says “judge me on tinnion” 

We sign Grant Smith and Matt Heywood in the summer, and then by October Gary Johnson is appointed manager. 

Jeez……….:facepalm: ……..That would be 100% the final straw for me. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Leicester to one side the run in will likely save him as well as the return of Jamo, our midfields been adrift without him and we’ll likely end up around the 60pt mark.

James won't make a difference, nether would foden and haarland on loan,

The players aren't the problem, the system they are being asked to play is the problem

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Leicester to one side the run in will likely save him as well as the return of Jamo, our midfields been adrift without him and we’ll likely end up around the 60pt mark.

Question: You’re Matty James and you’re in intense discomfort through an Achilles injury (I believe). There are 8 dead rubbers between now and the end of your contract, and the club have indicated they won’t renew. You play if fit, yes, but how up for having injections to get you through games (or in Pring style managing your injury) would you be..?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

10 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

I would be amazed to see us even close to 60 points....

Judging by our current form the only game I'd say to be  a very likely win is Rotherham.

9 hours ago, Spike said:

I agree, points will be hard to get over the next few games. 

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

James won't make a difference,

The players aren't the problem, the system they are being asked to play is the problem

And they’re leaderless imo. I doubt that any of them have any respect for Manning.

• Like 1