IGNORED

The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the end

I think nothing will happen now until the end of the season.  We have home games against Blackburn, Rotherham and Huddersfield next month and I think that will be the litmus test for me if we can see any green shoots or whether to call it a day. 

Two major sticking points for me are...

1. Who on earth do we go for next to replace Manning.

2. He will have a  3 year contract to pay off (god only knows why we gave him 3.5 years)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Manning would be safe if thrown under the bus... There's a whole team that he's thrown under it for the bus to get past before it reaches him.

As for Tinnion. I'm sure he was quoted recently as admitting that going into management was the wrong career path for him. I'd be surprised if he manoeuvred himself into that role. 

The worry for me is that Manning resorts to more Nige style of play and keeps his job before reverting to type next season and getting sacked after spending all of the nest egg over the summer.

That's exactly why he needs to go now. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, AG City said:

I think nothing will happen now until the end of the season.  We have home games against Blackburn, Rotherham and Huddersfield next month and I think that will be the litmus test for me if we can see any green shoots or whether to call it a day. 

2. He will have a  3 year contract to pay off (god only knows why we gave him 3.5 years)

I tend to agree with you, but if he keeps losing it’s not going to be an easy end of the season. 

As JP said on SOTC last night, fans sack managers. If the fans are loud and clear enough they won’t be able to just ride this out to the summer.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, AG City said:

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I doubt very much that his contract would need to be paid up in full - my guess is there'll be provision for a year severance pay in the event of dismissal due to poor performance.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Very very unlikely. Tinnion is protecting his position (see SOTC interview) but that doesn’t extend to telling the manager/head coach how to play. For all the criticism of Liam I think it has been unfair of some to portray him as a yes man - he definitely isn’t. He’s got strong beliefs in his processes (they’re just flawed is the problem!)

Your reason why it’s changed is simple and twofold - fear and opponents. Opponents, as was bound to happen, have figured how to play us. We know we’re better without the ball and Liam has taken that to the extremes by just sitting and letting the other team have it - but they’re not doing what he wants them to. You then have fear - or belief - the latter of which has totally been sucked out of the side by how he’s coached them. Hes under pressure so is setting up not to lose as opposed to win. And that is not going to change.

Definitely a large element of that.  I do think our opponents are dictating how we play.  It’s bonkers.  So much so, that (as you say) all we have is a “block”.  There is no attacking plan, other than pray for a set-piece or a counterattack.  And teams like QPR don’t even let you do that.

1 hour ago, One Team said:

I tend to agree with you, but if he keeps losing it’s not going to be an easy end of the season. 

As JP said on SOTC last night, fans sack managers. If the fans are loud and clear enough they won’t be able to just ride this out to the summer.

Fans sack managers - because either:

- the manager isn’t performing, or

- the “club” aren’t communicating the expectations or situation correctly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Definitely a large element of that.  I do think our opponents are dictating how we play.  It’s bonkers.  So much so, that (as you say) all we have is a “block”.  There is no attacking plan, other than pray for a set-piece or a counterattack.  And teams like QPR don’t even let you do that.

Fans sack managers - because either:

- the manager isn’t performing, or

- the “club” aren’t communicating the expectations or situation correctly.

like a boss win GIF*

*This is far too exciting.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well, with Ian Gay stating (assumedly through Tinnion) that Liam has 8 games to save his job, I think we can reasonably say we’re nearing endgame. A couple of weeks ago I was of the mind to give Liam until the end of the season and see if we continually improved in a few key areas (game management, speed of play, bravery) - but we’ve regressed and I think the ship has now sailed.

What we can glean is that those above Liam (assuming SL) aren’t happy with what’s gone before, and we know wins of the nature of Swansea won’t butter any parsnips.

So, in those 8 games somehow Liam needs to markedly improve results (probably to playoff form) and performance not to get the sack. I don’t think that’s happening - and the way we’re setting up even if we meet point one we’re not getting point two.

It’s the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end. I’ve got no real doubt he won’t be here at the start of the season considering what he’ll need to do. It’s probably done in the next 3 games in practical terms.

And for avoidance of doubt, there is no way Tinnion should then be caretaker and he should be getting the archer as well.

Why hasnt Tinnion got 8 games to save his job also ?

Replace Manning the problem remains.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Superjack said:

It'll be Tinnion until the season's end while they conduct a 'rigourous process'.

When we will headhunt Matt Taylor from from our nearest but not dearest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's exactly why he needs to go now. 

Anyone willing/able to rearrange and share the lyrics of "Go Now !" by the Moody Blues, (which, incidentally, sounds like a good alternative name for the Blue Few).

A song to belt out at the Gate (against Leicester or thereafter) when it becomes even more blindingly obvious that Manning is a disaster.

More me, the writing is already on the wall and it's too late.

But for those  few kindly souls still willing to give him a chance to work a miracle and turn things round, all I can say is, that if Manning pulls off the impossible, I will personally fork out the 50p for Tinnion to enjoy a night of unbridled passion with the hag fair maiden, Irene.

19 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I never need much of an excuse to put this beauty on.

Some great, apt lyrics.

Not many people know this, but Ed Hollis brother of Mark, genius ( Talk Talk ) was their manager. 👍😎

He wrote this about his brother. Any excuse to share 😀😎

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Anyone willing/able to rearrange and share the lyrics of "Go Now !" by the Moody Blues, (which, incidentally, sounds like a good alternative name for the Blue Few).

A song to belt out at the Gate (against Leicester or thereafter) when it becomes even more blindingly obvious that Manning is a disaster.

More me, the writing is already on the wall and it's too late.

But for those  few kindly souls still willing to give him a chance to work a miracle and turn things round, all I can say is, that if Manning pulls off the impossible, I will personally fork out the 50p for Tinnion to enjoy a night of unbridled passion with the hag fair maiden, Irene.

Poor effort but here goes...

Go now, go now......ooo

I'd love to see you cry..

We've had just about enough of you now oooo

Oh you had better GO NOW....

You could rename the song from go now to **** off....

#With apologies to the moody blues 

• Haha 1

Is there any clubs that have run a successful model that we could emulate?, Rather than robust structure of J Lansdown and Tinnion fulfilling every role at the club....I'm pretty sure there might be.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

One big problem I have with Manning is the impression that he does what he does for Manning. If he was successful here he’d be off at the drop of a hat for a bigger gig. 
Pearson had nothing to prove and did what he believed best for the greater good of everyone. A leader of men. 
How can a bloke who’s achieved the total sum of bugger all in his career really tell , for example, Premier League winners James and King how to play football ? 
Or give enough confidence to the youngsters that they will succeed with his coaching ?

Massive cock up from our owner. Bullet meet foot.

Excellent post dear boy 👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

One big problem I have with Manning is the impression that he does what he does for Manning. If he was successful here he’d be off at the drop of a hat for a bigger gig. 
Pearson had nothing to prove and did what he believed best for the greater good of everyone. A leader of men. 
How can a bloke who’s achieved the total sum of bugger all in his career really tell , for example, Premier League winners James and King how to play football ? 
Or give enough confidence to the youngsters that they will succeed with his coaching ?

James didn't play any games in Leicester's title-winning season

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Well, with Ian Gay stating (assumedly through Tinnion) that Liam has 8 games to save his job, I think we can reasonably say we’re nearing endgame. A couple of weeks ago I was of the mind to give Liam until the end of the season and see if we continually improved in a few key areas (game management, speed of play, bravery) - but we’ve regressed and I think the ship has now sailed.

What we can glean is that those above Liam (assuming SL) aren’t happy with what’s gone before, and we know wins of the nature of Swansea won’t butter any parsnips.

So, in those 8 games somehow Liam needs to markedly improve results (probably to playoff form) and performance not to get the sack. I don’t think that’s happening - and the way we’re setting up even if we meet point one we’re not getting point two.

It’s the end of the beginning and the beginning of the end. I’ve got no real doubt he won’t be here at the start of the season considering what he’ll need to do. It’s probably done in the next 3 games in practical terms.

And for avoidance of doubt, there is no way Tinnion should then be caretaker and he should be getting the archer as well.

I assumed he was just guessing or saying it from a fans perspective - eg he needs to show something before the seasons up or he'll lose everyone.

He has began to row back massively, especially on the pdcast the otehr day so maybe he has got inside knowledge on this?

Exactly this. It's about him and his tactical ability to outsmart the opponent. How well the team did this or that according to the way he set them up. As I think DaveFevs said elsewhere, he's always tinkering and changing according to the opposition rather than let the opposition blink first - because he has to outthink them rather than just outplay them. LJ was exactly the same - head-to-head with Mourinho for example, looking forward to taking on Pep - he said as much at the time. Maybe this is what's behind winning and losing streaks, perhaps ..... 

I think it was more bullet meet head!

4 minutes ago, Superjack said:

And that affects his general point how, exactly?

It doesn't especially, although i disagreed with the point anyway. It just seemed like another excuse to laud Pearson at Manning's expense. Plus, you'll find many examples of coaches who've had considerably less on-field experience than their players

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

It doesn't especially, although i disagreed with the point anyway. It just seemed like another excuse to laud Pearson at Manning's expense. Plus, you'll find many examples of coaches who've had considerably less on-field experience than their players

I don't think anyone needs to laud Pearson at Manning's expense. They are incomparable. 

How the **** we have gone from one to the other beggars belief. 

Levels of duncery that are quite frankly astounding.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I don't think anyone needs to laud Pearson at Manning's expense. They are incomparable. 

How the **** we have gone from one to the other beggars belief. 

Levels of duncery that are quite frankly astounding.

I'm prepared to give Manning a little more time. He's undoubtedly an intelligent guy who understands the technicalities of football 

• Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm prepared to give Manning a little more time. He's undoubtedly an intelligent guy who understands the technicalities of football 

That’s the bare minimum of working in professional football as a coach at any level . Hardly good enough qualifications to manage a championship club 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well, In fairness, although I disagree, it's not Manning that I have major problems with. 

I only wish it was.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Whilst I don’t agree it’s good to have differing opinion. Out of interest, how long are you prepared to give him?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Good for you!

The big question is can he manage a Championship football team to the expectation levels of the people above him, the players, and to an extent, the fans?

At the mo’, it appears not on all three counts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, One Team said:

Whilst I don’t agree it’s good to have differing opinion. Out of interest, how long are you prepared to give him?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good for you!

The big question is can he manage a Championship football team to the expectation levels of the people above him, the players, and to an extent, the fans?

At the mo’, it appears not on all three counts.

I'm prepared to give him the summer and maybe the first dozen games of next season. If there are no real signs of improvement/progress by then, I'll accept that he isn't right for the job

25 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Technicalities of football? Its a simple game nothing technical about it.