IGNORED

Patience vs itchy trigger fingers

Lansdown isn't the most trigger happy in the world by any stretch but..

I noticed Norwich today, yeah I know now losing but they are right in the hunt for the playoffs, 6th by a decent number of points but sides below with games in hand.

Erm we sacked NP when we were 15th albeit in the midst of an injury crisis but. This is a critique of the hierarchy moreso.

1) Just around 4 months ago, Wagner was on the verge of the sack. Norwich fans had turned or were turning- they were in some shocking away form especially.

Their record from Rotherham Away to Watford Away, both verbatim and in general.

P14W4D1L9F19A29Pts13GD-10

They were conceding a lot of chances too..a lot.

Away

P7W1D1L5F11A19Pts4GD-8

Had we won as we should that Sunday, that could have been it for Wagner. Who knows if they would now be 6th.

2) Ryan Lowe, Preston. Flying start, surely hit buffers thereafter.

Unsure fans were happy, was he under pressure in December.

First 7 games they got 19 points, first 8 was 20. Thereafter?

By New Year's Day.

P18W4D3L11F18A38Pts15GD-20

3) Coventry.

Robins, tasked with reaching playoffs again I would imagine. Two key players sold but £20-25m spent.

Three wins by early to mid November, 15 points from.15 and 16 from 16. Six behind us by 2nd International break.

Did Delia, Hemmings or Doug King push the panic button. No they didn't- unlike us with NP!! Arguably to varying degrees they have been rewarded.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is true @Capman it's just so frustrating really, snatching stagnation and discord, chaos from the jaws of progress, some stability and reasonable harmony.

It is, the football is almost subbuteo like, we lack an understanding of playing as a team unfortunately we will need a new direction again next season

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I noticed Norwich today, yeah I know now losing but they are right in the hunt for the playoffs, 6th by a decent number of points but sides below with games in hand.

Erm we sacked NP when we were 15th albeit in the midst of an injury crisis but. This is a critique of the hierarchy moreso.

1) Just around 4 months ago, Wagner was on the verge of the sack. Norwich fans had turned or were turning- they were in some shocking away form especially.

Away

P7W1D1L5F11A19Pts4GD-8

Had we won as we should that Sunday, that could have been it for Wagner. Who knows if they would now be 6th.

By New Year's Day.

3) Coventry.

Robins, tasked with reaching playoffs again I would imagine. Two key players sold but £20-25m spent.

Three wins by early to mid November, 15 points from.15 and 16 from 16. Six behind us by 2nd International break.

Did Delia, Hemmings or Doug King push the panic button. No they didn't- unlike us with NP!! Arguably to varying degrees they have been rewarded.

Let it go.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

They perceived he was "challenging and confrontational" for one reason and one reason only.....

They didn't like the fact that....

HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS ******* TALKING ABOUT!!

and they didn't.....

In one

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

They perceived he was "challenging and confrontational" for one reason and one reason only.....

They didn't like the fact that....

HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS ******* TALKING ABOUT!!

and they didn't.....

The sacking of Nige has been done to death and we need to let it go. That said - his dismissal did create a great deal of anger and frustration amongst the fans which, fortunately these last two wins has eased considerably.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The sacking of Nige has been done to death and we need to let it go. That said - his dismissal did create a great deal of anger and frustration amongst the fans which, fortunately these last two wins has eased considerably.

We don't have any option but to 'let it go'.

Unfortunately, that decision and the (real) reason for it was yet another symptom and example of the ongoing cluster**** that is the ownership of this club. 

That, I will never let go until they are gone.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 5

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Let it go.

To a certain degree, I agree. Let it go. Manning’s here for the next 6-8 months at least. Accept it. It might taste nasty but it's real. And we're winning again. Pop back again in October if we're struggling. 

Do some forget that NP was given more time than many managers at other clubs would have been allowed? On 2 occasions there were consistent calls from the fanbase he should go... And yet he was stuck by; until the 3rd time. 

Irrespective of the fact he was doing a rebuilding phase during some of this period, the lack of consistency was alarming. Also, so many seem to forget the football was woeful to watch at times.

I struggle to understand some of our fans who have allowed Manning less than 20% of the time NP had and yet want him gone. Give the bloke at least a preseason and the first 15 matches of the 24/25 season to judge him. 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 9
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 3

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Away

P7W1D1L5F11A19Pts4GD-8

By New Year's Day.

3) Coventry.

PNE fans don't like Lowe even now and I really really don't get it. Shooting well above their weight

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

2 meaningless wins against 2 teams out of form changes nothing about how I feel. 

The anger I feel towards how this club is run will not change because of those results. This season we have all how to sit through a load of bloody crap because of how the club has been run. 

This season was really the season for us to push on but they have set us back by years by not only getting rid of Pearson but by totally messing up the recruitment process and bringing in someone that they didn't know what they would be getting who doesn't suit us at all. At this point in time I'm deeply concerned about relegation next season. 

Had I of known they'd make these two ridiculous decisions before I renewed last season I'd not have renewed. It's been an absolute waste of a grand and time this season. 

I've lost my passion for going because of those in charge and that makes me even angrier. Two 1 nil wins won't dilute that anger. Those wins do not give any signs that the club as a whole has turned a corner. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

Do some forget that NP was given more time than many managers at other clubs would have been allowed? On 2 occasions there were consistent calls from the fanbase he should go... And yet he was stuck by; until the 3rd time. 

Irrespective of the fact he was doing a rebuilding phase during some of this period, the lack of consistency was alarming. Also, so many seem to forget the football was woeful to watch at times.

I struggle to understand some of our fans who have allowed Manning less than 20% of the time NP had and yet want him gone. Give the bloke at least a preseason and the first 15 matches of the 24/25 season to judge him. 

That kind of sensible chat has no place here, this is a Pro Pearson thread for forgetful Pro Pearson people. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

19 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

That kind of sensible chat has no place here, this is a Pro Pearson thread for forgetful Pro Pearson people. 

I feel many on here are actually sensible with their opinions and view on the club given the clubs behaviour and how unnecessary the club have derailed our season. While we’ve still shown no real sign of improvement since the removal of Pearson. Yet again, we head into the unknown and it’s understandable to have cause of concern for the future.

It’s not a pro Pearson thread at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

The first two thirds of Pearson's time in charge was either rebuilding a bomb scare of a squad or working to a strict FFFP budget. That is fact isn't it? "Some" is certainly a significant minimisation of the situation to make a point and with a lesser manager we would almost certainly have been in League 1 and not challenging to get back out until next season imo. If you can't acknowledge that then I think you have colours nailed firmly to the mast. I do agree that the football was uninspiring but for me nothing he produced was as bad as those Cardiff and Swansea games recently, that dials straight back to "end of Dean Holden levels". However that should be behind us now (it had better be tbh).

The reason some people are less patient is that Liam did not have to "fix" anything and the purse strings are being slowly relaxed for him to "add and improve". He's been dealt a decent hand coming into a new club in effect compared to most managers who are often inheriting a car crash. Ultimately Liam will get his chance next season whatever even his biggest detractor thinks and we'll all judge him on that now with many people considering that he has been brought in by the club to give us "a greater chance of success". That means "matching the last manager" and being on 18 points after 14 games next season will not cut it. He has to exceed the performance of the previous manager and show real signs of improvement next season otherwise he's not hitting target and some fans will have their own opinion on that whether you agree with it or not.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 8
  • Flames 7

I don't think you can accuse SL of itchy fingers, he is renowned for giving managers time.  For me the real issue is that he can't seem to cope with any degree of conflict, so his relationships with the likes of Cotts & NP were doomed from the start.  Once he gets the ick with a manager  their days are numbered.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

2 meaningless wins against 2 teams out of form changes nothing about how I feel. 

They’re not meaningless wins Seagull. Two consecutive wins one against promotion candidates gives a great fillip to all concerned fans included.

City will go to Sunderland next weekend buzzing and full of confidence and I’m expecting another solid performance and hopefully 3 more points.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Sandhurst Red said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

The first two thirds of Pearson's time in charge was either rebuilding a bomb scare of a squad or working to a strict FFFP budget. That is fact isn't it? "Some" is certainly a significant minimisation of the situation to make a point and with a lesser manager we would almost certainly have been in League 1 and not challenging to get back out until next season imo. If you can't acknowledge that then I think you have colours nailed firmly to the mast. I do agree that the football was uninspiring but for me nothing he produced was as bad as those Cardiff and Swansea games recently, that dials straight back to "end of Dean Holden levels". However that should be behind us now (it had better be tbh).

The reason some people are less patient is that Liam did not have to "fix" anything and the purse strings are being slowly relaxed for him to "add and improve". He's been dealt a decent hand coming into a new club in effect compared to most managers who are often inheriting a car crash. Ultimately Liam will get his chance next season whatever even his biggest detractor thinks and we'll all judge him on that now with many people considering that he has been brought in by the club to give us "a greater chance of success". That means "matching the last manager" and being on 18 points after 14 games next season will not cut it. He has to exceed the performance of the previous manager and show real signs of improvement next season otherwise he's not hitting target and some fans will have their own opinion on that whether you agree with it or not.

Here’s why. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

+++++

Just to add, I don’t want him gone, I want him to be a success because he’s Bristol City’s manager (head coach).

But if I were running the club, I would’ve sacked him after Cardiff. 

I don’t think he’s a Fraud, I just think he’s underperformed having taken over in a good position.

+++++

The reasons for supporting Nige were because the circumstances were very different.

FWIW I don’t understand why posters revert back to comparing with Nigel Pearson to frame their reasons for supporting Manning.  Frame the argument on why Manning is right.  I’ve seen some things I like.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Here’s why. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

+++++

Just to add, I don’t want him gone, I want him to be a success because he’s Bristol City’s manager (head coach).

I don’t think he’s a Fraud, I just think he’s underperformed having taken over in a good position.

+++++

The reasons for supporting Nige were because the circumstances were very different.

FWIW I don’t understand why posters revert back to comparing with Nigel Pearson to frame their reasons for supporting Manning.  Frame the argument on why Manning is right.  I’ve seen some things I like.

The problem is that the people who accuse posters of being "Nige Fanboys" are "anti-Nige" themselves and so this debate will never be allowed to settle into a simple "what is Liam doing to hit target" discussion. If Liam shows the same tactical nous and ability to affect a game moving forwards that has been on display for the last two matches MANY DOUBTERS will get off his case. Some won't in the same way that some minimise the situation Nige inherited simply because they don't like/rate him or in a number of cases because he brought in Danny Simpson..........that's the crux of it with more detractors than you might realise.

Anyway, moving on, let's see if Liam can replicate on Saturday against another mob who are ripe for the taking after yesterday. Small steps but ones he needs to be taking.

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The problem is that the people who accuse posters of being "Nige Fanboys" are "anti-Nige" themselves and so this debate will never be allowed to settle into a simple "what is Liam doing to hit target" discussion. If Liam shows the same tactical nous and ability to affect a game moving forwards that has been on display for the last two matches MANY DOUBTERS will get off his case. Some won't in the same way that some minimise the situation Nige inherited simply because they don't like/rate him or in a number of cases because he brought in Danny Simpson..........that's the crux of it with more detractors than you might realise.

Anyway, moving on, let's see if Liam can replicate on Saturday against another mob who are ripe for the taking after yesterday. Small steps but ones he needs to be taking.

So true.

35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The problem is that the people who accuse posters of being "Nige Fanboys" are "anti-Nige" themselves and so this debate will never be allowed to settle into a simple "what is Liam doing to hit target" discussion. 

Sadly, its the way debate often happens online. Essentially the extremists are the same as each other & are all guilty of what they accuse the other side of (just framing the argument from the opposite perspective).

I think everyone wants the best for the club, but for a small but vocal minority, if that can't happen, then being proved right is the next best thing.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The anger I feel towards how this club is run will not change because of those results. This season we have all how to sit through a load of bloody crap because of how the club has been run. 

This season was really the season for us to push on but they have set us back by years by not only getting rid of Pearson but by totally messing up the recruitment process and bringing in someone that they didn't know what they would be getting who doesn't suit us at all. At this point in time I'm deeply concerned about relegation next season. 

Had I of known they'd make these two ridiculous decisions before I renewed last season I'd not have renewed. It's been an absolute waste of a grand and time this season. 

I've lost my passion for going because of those in charge and that makes me even angrier. Two 1 nil wins won't dilute that anger. Those wins do not give any signs that the club as a whole has turned a corner. 

Your anger is clouding your judgment sadly.  Hopefully it subsides 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Here’s why. ⬆️⬆️⬆️

+++++

+++++

What about the ones who compare to criticize Manning?

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Since when back to back wins become meaningless? And to diminish the Leicester win due to them being on a poor run was in my book even more credible, if anything knowing us it was a better achievement than Saints. 

You seem to have dug a deep hole for yourself and forgotten a rope, the better we do the deeper you dig, it really is ludicrous, but very entertaining for me at least.

The facts are in all the games under Liam we have out performed Nige, and given the set of early season easier games that is pretty good evidence we are improving under him.

Of course if we replaced our two most valuable assets then we might have challenged top 6, but as mentioned our defence is up there with the best in the division, so 1-0 wins are probably the best we can achieve, so more credit to Liam for that.

''1-0 To The Arsenal'' didn't do them much harm did it?

Hopefully you will see this as just a transition and with a couple of strikers we can challenge next season, but if you honestly believe we will be relegated you better get a bigger shovel.😀