IGNORED

Possible new matchday bus (Yate)

2 hours ago, Super said:

You don't take him to Boswells cafe?

I do frequent Boswell’s sometimes for lunch. But I only do takeaway. I don’t like to sit inside with the other mutants. 🤣

I have taken KITR to the Vintage Birdcage in Charfield, which he enjoyed. But he did seem very twitchy and out of his comfort zone. You see, as he’s a resident of Long Ashton, he seemed like he was half expecting someone in the cafe to be shouting obscenities, drinking cider so cloudy you couldn’t see the brewers foreskin in there, and for a disturbance to occur between a group of teen moms. So the next time he visited he preferred to stay in my house for a cuppa instead. 
😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

I don’t like to sit inside with the other mutants. 🤣

I think that you’ve just unwittingly described yourself as a mutant, Harry. ;)

I do like the Birdcage but I fancy that the Wickwar Coffee Shop is friendlier? Better than Boswells by a country mile!

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that you’ve just unwittingly described yourself as a mutant, Harry. ;)

I do like the Birdcage but I fancy that the Wickwar Coffee Shop is friendlier? Better than Boswells by a country mile!

Unsurprisingly, Im partial to Spoons 😁

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

I do frequent Boswell’s sometimes for lunch. But I only do takeaway. I don’t like to sit inside with the other mutants. 🤣

I have taken KITR to the Vintage Birdcage in Charfield, which he enjoyed. But he did seem very twitchy and out of his comfort zone. You see, as he’s a resident of Long Ashton, he seemed like he was half expecting someone in the cafe to be shouting obscenities, drinking cider so cloudy you couldn’t see the brewers foreskin in there, and for a disturbance to occur between a group of teen moms. So the next time he visited he preferred to stay in my house for a cuppa instead. 
😃

Take him to CS High Street on a bank holiday. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Unfortunately said poster, who was once quite respected, has gone down a bit of a rabbit hole recently. He’s feeling a bit tender as his last two proclamations have not really gone how he said which kind of lessened his credibility and he’s struggling with that.

He’s been facepalming any valid criticism of Liam for some time. It’s all a bit odd. But, to take his own advice “He may benefit from a bit of time away from the forum”, particularly as he’s now calling fellow city fans mutants.

Just all a bit sad.

Mutant!

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

😃

And very nice it was too! Very much looking forward to my next visit mate...and to casa Harold of course!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

the Vintage Birdcage in Charfield

I was working at Renishaw for a few months recently and went past this twice a day. It looked nice but was never open or I'd have thought about stopping for a coffee or something!

3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I was working at Renishaw for a few months recently and went past this twice a day. It looked nice but was never open or I'd have thought about stopping for a coffee or something!

Was shut for a while then taken over by new owners, I believe. It is decent tbf.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

😃

Cider is not made by brewing, so a rogue brewer's foreskin would be contamination from elsewhere. 

On 01/04/2024 at 22:24, Kid in the Riot said:

Ah, Claire Young. You can tell we're in a GE year. 

Surely there won't be the required interest in this anyway given Yate is full of gasheads, gypsies, and shops that still have pick n mix? 

When i moved to Yate 16 years ago i thought it would be rammed full of gasheads, it was the one thing i was going to dread more than anything. However, the honest truth is i rarely see a Rovers shirt around and i would definitely say with some confidence there are more City than Gas in Yate, especially amongst the kids too who wear shirts. 

Nothing wrong with Pick n Mix either 😂😂😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Nothing wrong with Pick n Mix either 😂😂😂

Quite agree - I'm still mourning the loss of Woolworths! 

Travelling around Bristol regularly as I do, you rarely see sags, full stop. 

I think they did used to hide out in places like Yate, but I've genuinely no idea where their "stronghold" is now, if they in fact have one. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

😃

Surprised you didn't go to the Plough in Charfield mate. Love that pub real quirky.

And then into the Falcon Steak house in Wotton. Cracking steaks in there. 

The Vintage Birdcage in Kingsgate park is such a success, no wonder they opened another in Charfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

It's a girly place - I wouldn't bother unless you like this stuff.....

VINTAGE BIRDCAGE ON THE BRIDGE, Wotton-under-Edge - Updated 2024 Restaurant  Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Meanwhile...proper grub   you choose! 😀

image.jpeg.e7becc99546965a2c406c5fb2f4e5b19.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

It's a girly place - I wouldn't bother unless you like this stuff.....

VINTAGE BIRDCAGE ON THE BRIDGE, Wotton-under-Edge - Updated 2024 Restaurant  Reviews, Photos & Phone Number - Tripadvisor

Meanwhile...proper grub   you choose! 😀

image.jpeg.e7becc99546965a2c406c5fb2f4e5b19.jpeg

They do a bloody lovely 'Fry Up' at the Birdcage...that's why there is always a bunch of white van men parked up either ordering takeaway or sit in. They used to have breakfast buffet trays lined up outside specifically for that. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

😃

Not Beany Boswells as we call it. Terrible all day breakfast with the plate taken up with too many beans, then they put a few chips with it which is wrong. If you want a good breakfast go to Bolero Lounge. Much more sophisticated in there with a nice atmosphere. I’m sure eve KITR would approve :laugh:.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite agree - I'm still mourning the loss of Woolworths! 

Travelling around Bristol regularly as I do, you rarely see sags, full stop. 

I think they did used to hide out in places like Yate, but I've genuinely no idea where their "stronghold" is now, if they in fact have one. 

Patchway probably

1 hour ago, spudski said:

They do a bloody lovely 'Fry Up' at the Birdcage...that's why there is always a bunch of white van men parked up either ordering takeaway or sit in. They used to have breakfast buffet trays lined up outside specifically for that. 

Their breakfasts are tiny- and who puts cherry tomatoes on the vine on a fry up plate?

I live in Charfield and I don't see many van men, the car park is full of large SUV's.

My next door neighbour runs a small company who do work on mostly local construction sites and he takes the crew out every Friday for a fry up and the builders ( always the good judge of a decent breakfast) choice of venue in this area is Tortworth Farm Shop - his guys don't rate the VBC or the Hideout at Leyhill !

Edited by CodeRed

29 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Their breakfasts are tiny- and who puts cherry tomatoes on the vine on a fry up plate?

I live in Charfield and I don't see many van men, the car park is full of large SUV's.

My next door neighbour runs a small company who do work on mostly local construction sites and he takes the crew out every Friday for a fry up and the builders ( always the good judge of a decent breakfast) choice of venue in this area is Tortworth Farm Shop - his guys don't rate the VBC or the Hideout at Leyhill !

Ahh..I was talking about the original one in Yate. 

Plus I'd rather have toms on a vine than beans 😂 👍😊

16 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s a new bit of Yate, abit like Lyde Green.  

6 hours ago, Super said:

You don't take him to Boswells cafe?

Oh ok , a million houses in the space of a postage stamp then 

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Wow a tongue in cheek response to BCR and the mutants of Yate unite 🤣 

The town centre is a big success story and the residents love it.

Glad to hear it's more red than blue these days... 

I think us Yate boys are coming over a little defensive!

Seriously though kid - you got it coming,  as I've  just shot my "diss track" which will be on you tube later!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

As a local…

- Yate and surrounding is now more City than Rovers. It’s been tipping that way for a few years but you invariably see far more red than blue both in terms of adult support and the kids playing junior football. There are a few outposts such as Mangotsfield and Pucklechurch that have a bit more of a blue tint, but Yate and Sodbury is definitely red 

- The size of Yate and Sodbury is now vast. The addition of Ladden Garden Village means that it’s a massive area. Schools are oversubscribed, finding a football pitch is a constant battle and the town centre is thriving. In fact, a study of “small town centres” post COVID found that Yate was the most resilient in the country. And not through pick and mix.

In fact, here’s the study. Note the low unemployment and large number of professionals in the area…

Yate named country's 'most resilient small town' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-56443686

- On that basis it’s a resource worth tapping. Even before you hit Winterbourne, Iron Acton, Frampton etc it’s going to be verging on 30,000 and demographically a lot of younger people.

- I get the point about the train, but it would rely on “soccer specials” - and I don’t think the trains go to Parson Street! The park and ride is a big area and free whereas the train station is paid parking. They’re close to each other but are outskirts of the town (particularly in view of the development), so parking is important. On that basis I think the P&R option makes sense

It’s not a bad idea. Definitely is being floated as it’s an election year but why would the club not want to support any idea that gets fans in from a highly populated, young, professional area…

More than 30 k population.

A good chunk of South Yate and The Birds Estate (Sodbury) are in the parish of Doddington so don't get included in Yate's population stats.

21 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Lack of planning tbh. Originally there was supposed to be a hotel, pub, two primary schools and a couple of sports pitches. Some residents have been in for 4-5 years now and the only thing that’s been built is a Sainsbury’s local and a nursery. Pub/hotel now not coming.

I live close enough that I run round there a fair bit and if I was a resident who bought in 2021 I’d be mighty pissed off at the lack of anything bar houses - particularly the schools not having emerged as North Road is oversubscribed and all others are ages away.

So, not a tip. But definitely an example of why developers should have their feet held to the fire.

I live in LVG, my immediate area is nice with friendly neighbours.

There are areas of the estate which are already looking tired - but some how manage to own cars like BMW, Mercs etc )

Unfortunately Yate has always been associated with bad planning and this is just history repeating itself.

Just build 1000s houses and no amenities.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, City37 said:

I live in LVG, my immediate area is nice with friendly neighbours.

There are areas of the estate which are already looking tired - but some how manage to own cars like BMW, Mercs etc )

Unfortunately Yate has always been associated with bad planning and this is just history repeating itself.

Just build 1000s houses and no amenities.

This, 100%. I’d be spitting feathers at the council for allowing the developers to have acted how they have and the developers themselves. The play area on one end of Dowsell that’s been unfinished for a year, the flags by the old peoples home falling and just left there by the builders, the roads not being surfaced properly and the temporary fencing not being removed is just a very short list. And bizarrely having no bins on the estate is just weird.

You can do a 10k round LGV now. To only be served by one Sainsbury’s and having no pub, community facilities or schools is just criminal and does the community no favours

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This, 100%. I’d be spitting feathers at the council for allowing the developers to have acted how they have and the developers themselves. The play area on one end of Dowsell that’s been unfinished for a year, the flags by the old peoples home falling and just left there by the builders, the roads not being surfaced properly and the temporary fencing not being removed is just a very short list. And bizarrely having no bins on the estate is just weird.

You can do a 10k round LGV now. To only be served by one Sainsbury’s and having no pub, community facilities or schools is just criminal and does the community no favours

I'm glad there is no pub - bad enough with the Sainsburys so close that I can never run out of cider!

But all your points spot on and need to be actioned by the developers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Sounds awful, I can  see a film coming up with Kurt Russell “Escape from Yate”

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Sounds awful, I can  see a film coming up with Kurt Russell “Escape from Yate”

There is no escape.

Thankfully for those of us south of yate they’ve shut the road / bridge!

6 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

That’s it boys, I think we can claim the entirety of BS37 

Easy - I am 47 now and my generation and below (in Yate) City was definitely a majority.

The generation above me were Gas though without a doubt.

• Like 1