IGNORED

Possible new matchday bus (Yate)

3 hours ago, City37 said:

Easy - I am 47 now and my generation and below (in Yate) City was definitely a majority.

The generation above me were Gas though without a doubt.

I beg to differ , I lived in Yate from 63 for 11 years and I hardly knew any gash (one or two maybe) it was definitively red ! 

Even at school (Sodbury Grammar) the only two I knew who were deffo gash were Gordon Bennett and the odious Clarke Osborne !

e.g. on one of the special trains to Leeds (1968) it was like a school outing .

Edited by slartibartfast

12 hours ago, City37 said:

Easy - I am 47 now and my generation and below (in Yate) City was definitely a majority.

The generation above me were Gas though without a doubt.

Yep, I went to college/ work with alot of Yate boys they were nearly all Gas, I'm in my 60s,  used to drink with them in the 002 and The Tern, I'm from Frampton/ Winterbourne and it was the same there at the time, no idea now as I left Bristol 40 years ago

Edited by Med/MadHatter
Missing info

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I beg to differ , I lived in Yate from 63 for 11 years and I hardly knew any gash (one or two maybe) it was definitively red ! 

Even at school (Sodbury Grammar) the only two I knew who were deffo gash were Gordon Bennett and the odious Clarke Osborne !

e.g. on one of the special trains to Leeds (1968) it was like a school outing .

You must be about the same age as my elder brother, he went to Sodbury Grammar and he said the same, but lads my age, I'm in my early 60s now, definitely more Gas than City unfortunately

9 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Is now a good time to mention I live in Frampton…

Lucky you

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

And Westerleigh Road is now a nightmare !

If i’m working anywhere off ringroad i go through Nibley lane past Wasterleigh and come on to Westerleigh rd and usually its ok. Its a nightmare if you come through Coalpit Heath and go along Henfield rd past the Kendleshire.

• Like 2

I grew up in Yate as a child. 

Played for all the Yate Utd boys age groups on the Germans fields. 

My two best friends and neighbours were both Gas.

One of their Dads was manager of Yate Utd boys ( anyone remember Tony the Veg man sponsoring?)

The others Grandfather was manager of the Gas in the 70s. Such a nice man.

I was the only City fan in the street. Dad and Grandad both from St Johns lane. 

It definitely felt like more Gas during the 70s/80s. 

Yate gets a bad undeserved rap. But I had the best childhood there. Played footy all the time. Kingsgate Park and the Woods were my playground. Lots of green space. Plenty of schools, shops, amenities. 

Sodbury really close with all its pubs. 

Plenty of work available. 

M4 and M5 easy to get to. 

Rail network good. 

Lots going for it tbh. Far worse places to live. 

Would rather live there than many parts of built up Bristol. 

Moved away now, but visit every week. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Yep, I went to college/ work with alot of Yate boys they were nearly all Gas, I'm in my 60s,  used to drink with them in the 002 and The Tern, I'm from Frampton/ Winterbourne and it was the same there at the time, no idea now as I left Bristol 40 years ago

Both still there. The 002 long renamed the Abbotswood Inn. The Tern did close for a while but some well meaning local heroes(!) stopped it being redeveloped and it’s now open and doing well. The only pub I actually remember losing in the area is the Four Seasons/Sandridge

1 hour ago, spudski said:

One of their Dads was manager of Yate Utd boys ( anyone remember Tony the Veg man sponsoring?)

Yate gets a bad undeserved rap. But I had the best childhood there. Played footy all the time. Kingsgate Park and the Woods were my playground. Lots of green space. Plenty of schools, shops, amenities. 

Rail network good. 

Bang on. I think the rep comes from people who haven’t been there, and from a couple of things like where it was put in the “Crap Towns” book decades ago, and referenced in the Half Man Half Biscuit song.

As you say though, loads there and a lot for everyone. I can be on a Victorian high street, a large shopping centre or open countryside all within 25 minutes walk of my house not including the parks, cinemas etc. There’s a reason that more houses are being built here.

22 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Didn't yate hold some record for sucides at one point? I'm sure I read that?

No. 

• Flames 2

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Both still there. The 002 long renamed the Abbotswood Inn. The Tern did close for a while but some well meaning local heroes(!) stopped it being redeveloped and it’s now open and doing well. The only pub I actually remember losing in the area is the Four Seasons/Sandridge

Bang on. I think the rep comes from people who haven’t been there, and from a couple of things like where it was put in the “Crap Towns” book decades ago, and referenced in the Half Man Half Biscuit song.

As you say though, loads there and a lot for everyone. I can be on a Victorian high street, a large shopping centre or open countryside all within 25 minutes walk of my house not including the parks, cinemas etc. There’s a reason that more houses are being built here.

No. 

You mention the cinema, although it’s great to have it there I don’t know how it stays open as whenever I’ve been in it’s always sparse at best. That may be down to Cineworlds extortionate prices.

2 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

002, that was a real dive when I lived in Yate (by the Four Seasons) The Tern was sheer luxury by comparison !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

002, that was a real dive when I lived in Yate (by the Four Seasons) The Tern was sheer luxury by comparison !

The four seasons was where Lidle is now, a good way away from 002 in Abbotswood.

When in my teens, the Lawns was the place to go.

Pubs in Yate are pretty dire tbh...but Sodders more than makes up for it. 

Stanshaws hotel/pub is by far the saddest state of affairs. Such a lovely building and grounds. Sadly never developed properly to reach it's massive potential. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

No. 

Ah the Sandridge - I only ever drank in there once or twice.  Must have closed 93ish just as I was getting in to the Pub scene - only ever went in there with my brother and his lot (who were regulars).

Proper lads pub - that didn't take too kindly to strangers .

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

002 did have quite a reputation.

I went in there about 2 years ago and it was still a sh!thole - as is the surrounding Abbotswood shops and flats.  All needs knocking down and redeveloping.

29 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

I’ll own up and say I live in Coalpit Heath

Nice, I used to like the pubs around there, especially the Half Moon ( I was a jitter who went in the biker side of the pub) many years ago now, ahhh memories is all I have left :laugh:

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Rail network good. 

Totally agree with this. My childhood was fantastic playing football and games with friends everyday, outside constantly from a very young age. Loads of greens right outside the front door. Our parents didn't know where we were within set boundaries and didn't seem to mind as they knew we were safe. We were all also good kids, no drugs, maybe egged the house of the neighbourhood bullyboy once a year.

Times have changed now, I live in a 'nicer' area, Frampton 'the posh part of Yate' so say, but what do the kids do? They aren't out playing. I feel sorry for my son tbh.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I have recalled where I read about Yate having more sucides to population than any other place in the UK, it was the book crap towns 

I believe in its early years it had its fair share of social issues due to thousands of houses being built and no amenities.

Suicides were high but not as bad as you say. 

Divorce rates were off the scale,  Swinging parties were a common source of entertainment - with lots of young couples (new to the area - mainly Bristolians) eager for some target practice!

Youngsters had nothing to do except congregate in large groups, drink cider and act hard - not too dissimilar to other places.

It has improved over the years though, and as Silvio has pointed out it is a good place to live.

30 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Nice, I used to like the pubs around there, especially the Half Moon ( I was a jitter who went in the biker side of the pub) many years ago now, ahhh memories is all I have left :laugh:

Jeez...I haven't heard ' Jitter' in decades 😎😁👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, City37 said:

I believe in its early years it had its fair share of social issues due to thousands of houses being built and no amenities.

Suicides were high but not as bad as you say. 

Divorce rates were off the scale,  Swinging parties were a common source of entertainment - with lots of young couples (new to the area - mainly Bristolians) eager for some target practice!

Youngsters had nothing to do except congregate in large groups, drink cider and act hard - not too dissimilar to other places.

It has improved over the years though, and as Silvio has pointed out it is a good place to live.

The Farmhouse was notorious for keys in a pot swingers party's. There was even a video doing the rounds :laugh: