IGNORED

Possible new matchday bus (Yate)

54 minutes ago, Frankie_Red said:

And the Swan. Knocked down to expand the Tesco carpark.

Yep late 80s / early 90s, Yate was pretty lively with The Swan, The White Lion, The Lawns (which was a good pub in the summer), The Sandridge and of course Spirals.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

There’s a reason that more houses are being built here.

A big reason is that north of Yate isn't Green Belt tbh. Same reason Charfield and Thornbury (north and east) have been lumped with a load of new houses over the past 10 years. 

South Glos is running out of land in sustainable locations to build housing outside the Green Belt though (Charfield for example has reached capacity due to J14 of the M5 being inadequate), hence the new Local Plan is proposing a lot of housing in the Green Belt.

12-Green-Belt.jpg

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

A big reason is that north of Yate isn't Green Belt tbh. Same reason Charfield and Thornbury (north and east) have been lumped with a load of new houses over the past 10 years. 

South Glos is running out of land in sustainable locations to build housing outside the Green Belt though (Charfield for example has reached capacity due to J14 of the M5 being inadequate), hence the new Local Plan is proposing a lot of housing in the Green Belt.

12-Green-Belt.jpg

And for the record, I don’t mind new housing coming in - the challenge, as it always is, is infrastructure. As you know, there’s been a lot of “fill in” developments in Yate over the last few years (side note re pubs - the Railway is another lost one), and I’d be agreeing that expansion outwards is the only way to go as there isn’t that much free space now even if that does infringe on some green belt. 

Infrastructure wise I don’t think you ever solve the traffic issues in Yate which are getting worse, because you can’t really widen the main routes into the centre, so for me it’s really trying to make sure you have the essential infrastructure in walking distance of the newer developments as they do extend outwards. Clearly can’t “force” private businesses though.

The bit that does really get me though is that Ladden Garden piece, I feel really sorry for the residents there - I can imagine having moved in with a newborn 4 years ago on phase one and thinking “great, two primary schools”, and for not a brick to be laid yet on either when my kid would have been starting school I’d be pretty despondent.

The other one I think is a bit bizarre is Wickwar. Big new housing development on the outskirts but no retail provision (even a local store) now in the village and none that are walkable due to the nature of the roads/distance. I can see why the residents there are so against anything else coming up. Longer term, as the “stub Ridings” is developed I’d like to see some kind of cycle link to Wickwar as they do feel a bit isolated there and it’s either drive to Kingswood or Yate to pick up a pint of milk.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The other one I think is a bit bizarre is Wickwar. Big new housing development on the outskirts

The Wickwar villagers campaigned for ages against the new developments ( fair enough it's their village) but what made me laugh was when one of the first new 4 bed houses to be be built and occupied ( right next to the cottage on the corner) immediately stuck a  "Say no to new houses in Wickwar"  poster in their window!

The ultimate NIMBY- buys a house on a new development and immediately objects to anyone else doing the same.

The one shop Wickwar had is now a private house as you say but an even bigger tragedy was the closing of Wickwar real ale brewery....I've now got to go to Uley to get my weekly polypin!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

12-Green-Belt.jpg

I did my school work experience in the Architects department of South Glos Council. I was shown the at the time proposed plans for Yate. They went almost to the edge of Bath. 

Later when I got my first job as an Architectural Technician, they were abolished... thankfully. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I did my school work experience in the Architects department of South Glos Council. I was shown the at the time proposed plans for Yate. They went almost to the edge of Bath. 

Later when I got my first job as an Architectural Technician, they were abolished... thankfully. 

Think in the 70s there was a plan for Yate to become a town of circa 75k, this development would have been more southern - in to Wapley and Westerliegh and eventually its own junction for the M4.

However this was quickly shit canned as Yate was never designated as "New Town" status so didn't get the pound notes.

Another example of the Bristol area being under funded compared to similar conurbations.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed, is that there’s an awful lot more wildlife North of Yate than what I saw around Pucklechurch and Shortwood.  A barn owl being a particular highlight recently.

Anyways, to keep this on topic - 

Train is a none- starter tomorrow as the trains back are woeful.  So it looks like a drive all the way to Bris for the P&R. Or would it make more sense to drive to Portway? Could be worse, in at least they’re viable on Saturdays. 

• Like 2

They are really filling in the gaps with housing. The 4 fields around Yate FC are being sold off and 118+ houses going in(The fields with brown test trenches in them). On top of The Addlings to the right of the club, that are already up an potentially reaching up to The Cod. They are also clearing the land opposite the club entrance in Lodge Road hopefully for a new road junction.

image.png.ae91a911dc67e14b8685297dc2fd9e19.png

3 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Anyways, to keep this on topic - 

Train is a none- starter tomorrow as the trains back are woeful.  So it looks like a drive all the way to Bris for the P&R. Or would it make more sense to drive to Portway? Could be worse, in at least they’re viable on Saturdays. 

Or, drive to Long Ashton and park up outside The Angel. Get phone out, start searching on RightMove for a new property. Buy house in LA. Forget this nightmare ever happened. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

One thing I have noticed, is that there’s an awful lot more wildlife North of Yate than what I saw around Pucklechurch and Shortwood.  A barn owl being a particular highlight 

This area is rich and diverse in wildlife.

On LGV Estate towards Tanhouse Lane, there are a variety of songbirds,  finches etc that i have not seen for long time.  There was even a video doing the rounds on social media of Peregrine Falcons tucking in to a plump pigeon on someone's roof  (I initially thought this was BS - but it is plausible as PFs have been recently spotted at Chipping Sodbury Quarry).

Just north on limekiln Road- I have seen numerous Buzzards, the odd Red Kite, Deer.            ........ herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain....

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Or, drive to Long Ashton and park up outside The Angel. Get phone out, start searching on RightMove for a new property. Buy house in LA. Forget this nightmare ever happened. 

That would make my commute go through the duel hell of Bristol and Bath in rush hour 😭

24 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But not forgetting to plan a bank robbery to pay for it 

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The other one I think is a bit bizarre is Wickwar. Big new housing development on the outskirts but no retail provision (even a local store) now in the village and none that are walkable due to the nature of the roads/distance. I can see why the residents there are so against anything else coming up. Longer term, as the “stub Ridings” is developed I’d like to see some kind of cycle link to Wickwar as they do feel a bit isolated there and it’s either drive to Kingswood or Yate to pick up a pint of milk.

Rather than drive to Kingswood or Yate for milk, all of us living in Wickwar now have a cow in our back garden. 

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Rather than drive to Kingswood or Yate for milk, all of us living in Wickwar now have a cow in our back garden. 

That's herd mentality for you.

Udderwise you'd all be doing something different.

I'm milking this for all it's worth.

Judging by the number of posts on this thread, it seems we have a large number of followers in South Gloucs.

Does the club have any stats (that it has published or is willing/able to share) regarding where supporters/season ticket holders live.

It would be interesting to see where the bulk of our support comes from, and how far and wide. Maybe it's far less obvious that some think.

3 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Judging by the number of posts on this thread, it seems we have a large number of followers in South Gloucs.

Does the club have any stats (that it has published or is willing/able to share) regarding where supporters/season ticket holders live.

It would be interesting to see where the bulk of our support comes from, and how far and wide. Maybe it's far less obvious that some think.

I'm sure some years back the club published a map of the South West with red dots to signify where our Season ticket holders were from.

Haven't seen this for some time though.

15 minutes ago, City37 said:

I'm sure some years back the club published a map of the South West with red dots to signify where our Season ticket holders were from.

They did and I recall there was a huge number on the north fringe, particularly Bradley Stoke. 

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Indeed. If nothing else it’s proven that there are a lot of city fans in Yate and surrounding areas, that Yate is a picturesque and wonderful place to live and that the posters from this neck of the woods are articulate, humorous and I’d hazard a guess of extremely attractive. A hugely worthwhile thread and one which displays our South Glos second heartland in a wonderful light. 🙂

54 minutes ago, City37 said:

The map I believe was published in support of one of the planning applications relating to the stadium. Definitely know the one you’re on about.