IGNORED

Possible new matchday bus (Yate)

6 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Not as bad as I say? I was just quoting a author, would be a strange claim to make it not true

The author may well be correct.

The Crap Town books were a little sensationalised though (if I remember correctly).

10 minutes ago, City37 said:

The author may well be correct.

The Crap Town books were a little sensationalised though (if I remember correctly).

Indeed. They were generally humour/satire based things. Having lived here for 40 plus years I don’t recall at any stage Yate being the suicide capital of the UK and there is no trace of such on Google. I’m sure I’d have remembered a news story around 2006 had it come up as well. 

Relying on “Crap Towns” for a fact is as sensible as relying on Joey Barton’s Twitter. I’d suggest either an ONS stat is put up or it’s classed as that catch all category of “bollocks”

14 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I've only ever heard it in Bristol tbh :laugh:, I could still be called that now I guess except nowadays I've got a long beard to go with the long hair

Nice...cruising the streets of the Hat 🤠 🥳 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I don't wish to argue you say in the early years there was problems the book was published around the 2000s, we aren't talking the early years, 

Yes, when I say the early years I mean the 1970s - which was not a great decade for any town.

The book as you say was published circa 2000 to highlight the bad points of a town in a sarcastic, sensationalised writing style hence not based on fact, but opinion and humour.  Therefore it is not a reliable source.

I do not recall Yate as having the highest suicide rate, but do recall reading that the divorce rate was very high - in the 1970s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I have recalled where I read about Yate having more sucides to population than any other place in the UK, it was the book crap towns 

Rated number 45 out of 50 in the UK I believe 

I lived in Wickwar until I bought a house in yate 20 years ago this year.

Never had any issues in a lovely quiet and friendly road

Edited by Rossi the Robin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You were wrong acxept it silv, to suggest someone would mislead readers about this, is way out of line

If you genuinely think the authors of “Crap Towns” validate satirical claims I’ve got some beans to sell you.

It’s like Viz, etc. It’s a satirical book. And they can make claims because nobody will sue them as they know what the tone is. This isn’t like (for example) a journalist lying in a political biography where it goes through lawyers.

Again, I’m more than happy to backtrack if you can produce a reliable source. But I’m more than certain you can’t.

• Like 1

You have allready back tracked you said I hadn't read a article on this and I clearly have, to think how popular this book was and the local media pick up on storys is frankly stupid, I can assure you the bit when he discussed sucides in Yate, there's no comedy what so ever, none at all, are you saying there isn't serious chapters or paragraphs in humour books,? 

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Aren't they just...that road into Montana I just don't have the words to express how much I like this post!...

I'm heading down that way in a few weeks,going to the Little Big Horn battlefield, don't know why I haven't done it before as it's only an 8 hour drive away from my house. If you think the road to Montana is bad, check out my drive to work, Medicine Hat to Fort Mackay in Alberta, that's mind blowingly boring straight roads, do that trip every 14 days, ugh!

Edited by Med/MadHatter
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You have allready back tracked you said I hadn't read a article on this and I clearly have, to think how popular this book was and the local media pick up on storys is frankly stupid, I can assure you the bit when he discussed sucides in Yate, there's no comedy what so ever, none at all, are you saying there isn't serious chapters or paragraphs in humour books,? 

Christs sake

I acknowledge you have read a satire based book which detailed an unsubstantiated “fact” not reported in any reputable media sources and on that basis it has to be confirmed as factually correct as otherwise you’ll get upset.

On a similar basis, please accept as fact the article below confirming Michael Gove as the new face of Rimmel cosmetics.

IMG_2834.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Not knocking Yate in general, but I think it has the most unattractive and soulless (I know) Wetherspoons I have ever been in.

I’ve not been in…but more soulless than the Knights Templar??? I may have to check it out

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I’ve not been in…but more soulless than the Knights Templar??? I may have to check it out

I reckon it is.In fairness some of the Spoons pubs are in fantastic buildings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I reckon it is.In fairness some of the Spoons pubs are in fantastic buildings. 

Tbf the Thorns farm in Yate, unlike a lot of the older converted Wetherspoons which are from as you say fantastic (and often historic) buildings was done by knocking together four single storey retail units built in the 60s - it’s pretty soulless due to that. 

18 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Not knocking Yate in general, but I think it has the most unattractive and soulless (I know) Wetherspoons I have ever been in.

Wouldn't disagree in the slightest.

Yate shopping not a great place for pub - always feels better in proper pub building.

I know some West Brom fans who stopped off there before playing us last season who said the same thing.

32 minutes ago, City37 said:

Yes, when I say the early years I mean the 1970s - which was not a great decade for any town.

The book as you say was published circa 2000 to highlight the bad points of a town in a sarcastic, sensationalised writing style hence not based on fact, but opinion and humour.  Therefore it is not a reliable source.

I do not recall Yate as having the highest suicide rate, but do recall reading that the divorce rate was very high - in the 1970s.

I think you’re right about the divorce rate. I renember something about that too. I think it was down to blokes having to work away while the housewife’s got bored so played away

1 minute ago, Iron Acton Red said:

I think you’re right about the divorce rate. I renember something about that too. I think it was down to blokes having to work away while the housewife’s got bored so played away

Yep lots of John Terry types in Yate

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I'm heading down that way in a few weeks,going to the Little Big Horn battlefield, don't know why I haven't done it before as it's only an 8 hour drive away from my house. If you think the road to Montana is bad, check out my drive to work, Medicine Hat to Fort Mackay in Alberta, that's mind blowingly boring straight roads, do that trip every 14 days, ugh!

Never got to see that either. 

Got to the Fort and buffalo jumps/falls, where the native Indians drove buffalo over the cliffs.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The four seasons was where Lidle is now, a good way away from 002 in Abbotswood.

When in my teens, the Lawns was the place to go.

Pubs in Yate are pretty dire tbh...but Sodders more than makes up for it. 

Stanshaws hotel/pub is by far the saddest state of affairs. Such a lovely building and grounds. Sadly never developed properly to reach it's massive potential. 

Yes, had my reception in the Stanshaws, it was much more salubrious back in the 70's 

Yes Lawns was good, I quite liked the Lion as well .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iron Acton Red said:

Moved out Yate (well the arse end of Nibley) 4 years ago. Went to The Lamb with a mate and met a few of the locals, was told Yate was the swingers capital of the south west!

• Haha 1