IGNORED

Yellow card for taking your shirt off

Red Skin

Why exactly is it a booking offence?

Most players wear an undershirt anyway so it not like they are exposing themselves.

If it is to do with not showing the sponsors name when all the cameras are on them in the moments after they score, then surely this should be a financial penalty dished out by their sponsor rather than handled as a booking.

If it's to reveal a political message then perhaps that is one thing, but if it isn't then there shouldn't be any any booking as far as I'm concerned 

Just let the players celebrate the moment.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Why exactly is it a booking offence?

Most players wear an undershirt anyway so it not like they are exposing themselves.

If it is to do with not showing the sponsors name when all the cameras are on them in the moments after they score, then surely this should be a financial penalty dished out by their sponsor rather than handled as a booking.

If it's to reveal a political message then perhaps that is one thing, but if it isn't then there shouldn't be any any booking as far as I'm concerned 

Just let the players celebrate the moment.

I assume that a player removing his shirt in celebration of scoring is seen as antagonistic towards opposing fans. it’s also a yellow if a player leaves the pitch and joins/dives in to the teams supporters for the same reason,

8 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Wasn't it just to stop displaying controversial messages on the base layer?

A bit harsh when it ends up displaying 'Happy Birthday Grandma' and what happens if they just pull it up a bit?

Thought it was also to limit sponsorships being displayed, wasn't shirt but the Niklas Bendtner and Paddy Power thing comes to mind 

• Admin

Players are shown a yellow card for taking their shirts off due to it being considered an ‘excessive’ celebration. 

Law 12 in the IFAB Laws of the Game discusses Fouls and Misconduct with the section stating:

“Players can celebrate when a goal is scored, but the celebration must not be excessive; choreographed celebrations are not encouraged and must not cause excessive time-wasting.

“Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence but players should return as soon as possible.

“A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
  • gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
  • covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
  • removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt”

TAKEN FROM: Law 12 - Fouls and Misconduct (thefa.com)

CELEBRATION OF A GOAL

Players can celebrate when a goal is scored, but the celebration must not be excessive; choreographed celebrations are not encouraged and must not cause excessive time-wasting.

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence but players should return as soon as possible.

A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
  • gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
  • covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
  • removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Yeah. That's not fair. 

I have just posted it as my profile pic on Plenty of Fish though...

Milking my stunning good looks and suspiciously hairy belly for matches? Thought you were better than that SJ 😲

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Milking my stunning good looks and suspiciously hairy belly for matches? Thought you were better than that SJ 😲

Well... for reasons that I can't divulge...

... I have to go in disguise nowadays. 🤣

• Haha 1

They won’t say it, but it’s due to sponsorship. When someone scores a goal, that’s when you’re going to get most pictures taken, right. So if you remove your shirt, then that sponsorship becomes less valuable. 

But they won’t ever admit that. 

Edited by Tim Monaghan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Has anyone ever taken their shirt off to celebrate, ran around like a lunatic waving it above their head but have another identical shirt on underneath to try beating the system?

Feel like that would be a mildly amusing celebration but surely been done already.

Or half take it off

Arms out the sleeves, pull the top up so it's only around your neck

Just don't cover your face with it and don't remove it fully and you haven't technically broken the rules as they're written.

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

I assume that a player removing his shirt in celebration of scoring is seen as antagonistic towards opposing fans. it’s also a yellow if a player leaves the pitch and joins/dives in to the teams supporters for the same reason,

Leaving the field of play to dive into the supporters is one thing, and I can see why that may be bookable.  

I never agree with the 'antagonising' opposition fans though.  The poor delicate little flowers that are able to gesture and chant abuse at players all game, that can't take it when they get some abuse back.  Surely, the most antagonist thing is scoring in the first place!

17 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

I never agree with the 'antagonising' opposition fans though.  The poor delicate little flowers that are able to gesture and chant abuse at players all game, that can't take it when they get some abuse back.  Surely, the most antagonist thing is scoring in the first place!

That’s my interpretation as why players get booked for removing their shirt after scoring - that doesn’t mean that my interpretation is right tho, I’m not a qualified referee.

If there are qualified refs on here maybe they’d know……….:dunno:

17 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Every fan knows it is the Law

Every player knows it is the  Law

So just keep your ducking shirt on you morons Simple

Because the law is always fair and should never be questioned.

Right...

I've always thought the reason for it was to stop this happening again...

6 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Has anyone ever taken their shirt off to celebrate, ran around like a lunatic waving it above their head but have another identical shirt on underneath to try beating the system?

Feel like that would be a mildly amusing celebration but surely been done already.

Can't find the video but yes, David Odonkor did this when playing for Dortmund. Gave his shirt to a supporter in a wheelchair, and still got a yellow for his troubles, despite having an identical one underneath...

Edited by Nathandao
Typo...