IGNORED

Enjoy rest of season

42 minutes ago, Malago said:

Our attendances are upper mid table, the playing budget is upper mid table and lo and behold are league position is upper mid table.

The holy grail is to find a manager who can get the club to over perform by 10 to 15%.  I believed Nige was on the way to doing that, the Lansdowns didn’t.

Whether under Manning the sum will be greater than the sum of the parts, only time will tell.  Personally I don’t think judging him over the next 6 games is particularly helpful.  Let him have a full preseason and see how we go between the start of the season and the 2nd international break.  Then I believe we can  come to some more meaningful conclusions.

We can judge him all we like but Easter has seen that Liam is here next season whether we all like it or not. Anyone who calls for him to be sacked now is wasting energy typing!! What I'm looking for is a run of improved performances (as per the last two matches), not two good ones followed by five defeats (been there) and evidence that the likes of Huddersfield and Rotherham can be put to bed under this manager. Plymouth was a good start in that regard. We won AND were the better side after the first 25 minutes. Do that and I think many fans go into next season with more CONFIDENCE in him which is crucial to avoid some people getting on his back from Day 1 if we don't pick up a result.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

SHARING OUR GIRLFRIENDS! (at the same time?) you saucy little devil: laugh.

Definitely not at the same time! One of his girlfriends ditched him and within a couple of days my girlfriend dumped me. 
Then I start seeing his previous girlfriend and he started seeing the one who ditched me! Things like that happened fairly regularly when you’re a teenager.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zombie said:

Unlikely we’ll win the next 3.

Success/failure is different for each club. Finishing 4th maybe failure to Southampton, finishing 4th from bottom is success to Plymouth. At the start of the season I thought there were around 10 sides with a greater chance of promotion than us, as did the bookies and many on here. I thought we’d be mid table, I obviously hoped for more. As long as we have the wrong people making the wrong decisions next season my expectations will probably be the same next season, but again I’ll hope for more.

I think supporters expectations often exceed reality. To look at the list of clubs at the start of any season and think we’re amongst the top prospects for an automatic or playoff push is weird, I look at the top 6 now, the 3 that don’t go up will be a shorter prices next season than us, as will the 3 who come down, then you have Cov, Hull, Boro, Sund, Watford etc….

Btw, not a happy clapper, not been drinking the Lansdown Kool-aid either. It is possible to support the team/players/club while knowing a change at the top is necessary for progress, we were heading the right way, we’ve gone off track. We are not run well, however many other clubs are run worse. We are mid table championship, we want more, but those of us who have been supporting for a while recognise this is a stable (boring) relatively successful period for the club. That being said, it is a slog, I’ll be voting with my feet next season as I’ve better things to do every Saturday, I’ll review my decision in December if things have improved on and off the pitch. The football has been poor for a while, the excitement has gone, like others I find myself less worried about winning or losing than ever. The highlight is having a laugh and a few beers with the boys, but next season I’ll attend a few pre Christmas, but the rest of my Saturdays (and Tuesdays) will be spent with my young son and the missus, it won’t be long before I have to start him on City regularly, he’s been already when he just turned 2, not ready yet, or I could save him the trouble and get him in to something else, I do wonder if I’d have been better off if my old man didn’t make me a Junior Red 40 years ago, he’s got a lot to answer for 😁

In theory although I question whether some of them should be as good a price as suggested but yeah.

Sunderland right now are not very well run. Birmingham health permitting should have Mowbray but then again their fans seem to have an incomplete grasp let's say both of their possible losses feeding in and the future looking nature of the Financial Regulations. Hull may have to retrench a bit..Watford will be out of Parachute Payments, Norwich too if they stay down. West Brom financially will he heading South (FFP) provided they don't win Playoffs.

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Definitely not at the same time! One of his girlfriends ditched him and within a couple of days my girlfriend dumped me. 
Then I start seeing his previous girlfriend and he started seeing the one who ditched me! Things like that happened fairly regularly when you’re a teenager.

I'm impressed that you can remember back 75 years Val 

• Haha 1

I’m intrigued by all those who can see a clear difference between the style and standard of football played under Pearson and Manning.

I confess I can’t  - neither positive nor negative. Had I not read all the stuff on OTIB, I’d have been hard placed to know there had been a change.

The sacking of Pearson was a shock, but I can’t say it seems to have changed much. We remain consistently inconsistent with occasional ups but more downs.

On 04/04/2024 at 08:31, LondonBristolian said:

Not every manager works at every club. Brian Clough was a disaster at Leeds, Unai Emery has done well in every job except Arsenal, Steve Cotterill is far less popular with Forest and Birmingham fans than us. Neil Warnock did well at Crystal Palace and QPR then badly at Leeds and back at Palace then well at Rotherham and Cardiff. Pearson was great at Leicester than a disaster at Derby. Valentin Ismael got a Barnsley team to the play offs but could not do so with a theoretically stronger West Brom team. Moyes has done well at Preston, Everton and West Ham but struggled at other clubs.

Not every manager job is in any sense the same and few managers would succeed at every club.

Fair enough 

21 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I’m intrigued by all those who can see a clear difference between the style and standard of football played under Pearson and Manning.

I confess I can’t  - neither positive nor negative. Had I not read all the stuff on OTIB, I’d have been hard placed to know there had been a change.

The sacking of Pearson was a shock, but I can’t say it seems to have changed much. We remain consistently inconsistent with occasional ups but more downs.

I would say we had a greater underlying minimum output under NP, injuries permitting most of the time. Certainly post the switch to 4-3-3. Bit more intensity too.

That is a good base from which to build. We don't have that under Manning (IMO). When we have been bad it has been really bad and more than just dull, really quite dull.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Tbh Lev, I haven’t either.  It’s mainly minor stuff, and I’d argue the things I associate with Manning introducing appear to have a slightly negative effect (over-simplistic)….apart from the efficient trigger of the press.  But even that has its pros and cons.

What I’ve enjoyed, e.g. when we do press, when we can counter, we already had in the toolbox imho.  I’ve yet to see someone that Manning has really brought to the piece for distinct benefit.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tbh Lev, I haven’t either.  It’s mainly minor stuff, and I’d argue the things I associate with Manning introducing appear to have a slightly negative effect (over-simplistic)….apart from the efficient trigger of the press.  But even that has its pros and cons.

What I’ve enjoyed, e.g. when we do press, when we can counter, we already had in the toolbox imho.  I’ve yet to see someone that Manning has really brought to the piece for distinct benefit.

That’s the point for me. Liam is here to bring about positive change otherwise why sack people and pay settlements? If the last two games are an indicator that he’s getting his act together then fantastic otherwise we’ve spent money to go either nowhere or even backwards and pissed a lot of fans off in the process.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1