IGNORED

Enjoy rest of season

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On one hand it is a nice thought, on the other when we reach this stage of the season and there is uncertainty about the medium term, it can be hard to get enthused or confident.

In football there's always uncertainty in the medium term!

14 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

These moaners , the anti manning mob need to take a look at Luton manager rob Edwards who was manager at FGR then went to Watford they SACKED him after 4 months he then made them look silly by taking a less fancied team to the PREM -LUTON TOWN 

Stick to enjoy the rest of the season.  Rob Edwards and Liam Manning could not be further apart in styles and pedigree; apart from Rob Edwards having had an extensive playing career under multiple decent managers, his team is more akin to Pearsons than Mannings. Luton focuses on using the ball well when they have it, utilising speed, aggression and intensity when they have the ball, versus us trying to retain possession and play from the back retaining possession.  To get from A -> B with Manning will take a rebuild and will take some time with a busy transfer market (it might work, but if it doesn't, it sets us back years), and the only thing that's changed in recent results is Matty James coming back into the side; not much has changed on the Manning end.  And I think that worries people: the results are masking the problems.  

• Like 4
  • Flames 5
  • Facepalm 1

Let's stop arguing or trying to score points off of each other. We're all City fans, supporters and go to as many matches as we can, financially, working hours, family matters etc.

All previous managers or head coaches are now history and whatever we thought of them, they are now irrelevant.

So now we have a head coach, Manning. He has had no experience of being in charge of a Championship club and his time with lower league sides as head coach is almost non existent.

As we now appear to be safe from the big drop, I want to see how the team performs. I'm not concerned about each match result but about how we cope with all facets of a match. In his first three months, we had too many games in which we went sideways and backwards without any real clue of attacking. If that continues more than any other style, it will finish many of us from going to matches through sheer boredom.

If we lose trying to play our share of attacks then so be it. We'll never win every game but so long as we give it a go, then I will be at matches to support the team.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

42 minutes ago, red panda said:

I'm pleased you have maintained the same degree of passion and enthusiasm.  Speaking for myself, and I suspect some others, the process of growing up, having some kind of career, getting married and especially having children, seeing my parents grow old, eventually seeing friends my own age getting ill and sadly dying, and also daring to have other hobbies and interests, has given me a sense of perspective.  I hope I'm still a "real supporter", and when we score a goal that really matters I can still jump up and down like a small child, but I also realise that I'm simply watching 22 ridiculously well-paid young men kick a lump of leather around on a patch of grass.  Apologies if this makes me a second-rate fan.

What a lovely post.  Nicely worded 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

15 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

It would be great now if fans could come along to the gate in their thousands and support and enjoy the rest of season now the pressure is off , I’d also like to see the players enjoy it and play with a smile on their faces and interact with the fans more , come on let’s all enjoy it and get behind the lads 

Two wins and all is forgotten?

I don’t like being bare faced lied to, by the organization I have supported for over 60 years. 

Mr Manning needs to continue to produce football, not dirge, and results in the next few weeks for most to get on board. Only then we can move on.

However I will not forget the filthy way Pearson and the supporters were treated!

• Like 9
  • Flames 6
  • Robin 3

1 hour ago, red panda said:

I'm pleased you have maintained the same degree of passion and enthusiasm.  Speaking for myself, and I suspect some others, the process of growing up, having some kind of career, getting married and especially having children, seeing my parents grow old, eventually seeing friends my own age getting ill and sadly dying, and also daring to have other hobbies and interests, has given me a sense of perspective.  I hope I'm still a "real supporter", and when we score a goal that really matters I can still jump up and down like a small child, but I also realise that I'm simply watching 22 ridiculously well-paid young men kick a lump of leather around on a patch of grass.  Apologies if this makes me a second-rate fan.

We must be of the same generation RP - I’m a 1950’s man and have experienced pretty much the same as you and share your sentiments.

My best friend from school passed away a couple of years ago, only a month older than me. We played in the same football and cricket team and did pretty much everything together even sharing our girlfriends! It was his dad that first drove us to AG in 1967 - that really is a real perspective on life.

16 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

It would be great now if fans could come along to the gate in their thousands and support and enjoy the rest of season now the pressure is off , I’d also like to see the players enjoy it and play with a smile on their faces and interact with the fans more , come on let’s all enjoy it and get behind the lads 

In isolation this is a decent post. If Liam delivers enjoyment I’ll enjoy it, that you can be assured of. Such as last Friday. The last two games is a good start. Unfortunately you then revealed your real intent behind the post in your following efforts which is to berate other posters that don’t share your opinion of how things have been going and to get “reactions”. Well done👍.

The poster who said the hierarchy’s dealing of the Pearson sacking primarily succeeded in dividing the fan base was spot on. Unfortunately whilst Liam can control to a large extent the divide against him personally by continuing the improvement the clear divide on the hierarchy will be a far tougher nut to crack.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I don't think you are a true City fan.

Many of us have supported the team through all the divisions with various qualities of manager and players.

Yes it's been horrible at times but personally, I still loved watching the team home and away and with same degree of passion and enthusiasm wherever we are.

That's what real supporters do.

So when you were running Nige down on every MDT and you clearly weren’t enjoying it (your prerogative) was that you taking a sabbatical from being a true fan? Or is it a case of being able to criticise as long as you do it enthusiastically?

The club cannot AFFORD to lose supporters whether they meet your criteria of true or otherwise. The “we’ll be better off without them” sounds great when you’re ranting but in practice it really isn’t unless you want to head to League 1 with 10k true supporters in the ground.

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

Reading through the posts I really don’t enjoy our fan base being this divided , I think we all want the best for our team and personally think if we had the same points as we do now had the same cup results and Pearson was in charge alot more people would be happy , 

Dont get me wrong I didnt want Nige ousted at the time he was and the board royally xxxxxx up .

Mannings football so far has been very hit & miss , tbf when it’s been good it has been very good in my opinion I won’t  mention the performances because I will have to say that dreaded would Soxxxxxxxn , I also agree when we been poor it’s been very poor , 

I l don’t get the clamber to slate Manning for his press conferences either,  I couldn’t give too shits about how he says it or what he says if I want to watch something that entertains me or lights up my evening I will watch an after dinner speaker or a comedian , I really do think Manning is getting more stick than perhaps he deserves because of those above him on saying that we have had two pretty good performances over the weekend and he really does have to build on that and get some consistency in our performances especially against the shut up shop teams who we struggle to break down , rather our season Peter out I feel he needs to get some decent results / performances from now until the end of the season to TRY and get some supporters back onside , easier said than done . 

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We must be of the same generation RP - I’m a 1950’s man and have experienced pretty much the same as you and share your sentiments.

My best friend from school passed away a couple of years ago, only a month older than me. We played in the same football and cricket team and did pretty much everything together even sharing our girlfriends! It was his dad that first drove us to AG in 1967 - that really is a real perspective on life.

How dare you! 😉  I'm gen z (just) rather than a boomer.  Still, of the six people who completed the same course at the same college in my year, at least two are no longer with us 💔

3 hours ago, The Coach said:

I think that’s a very harsh statement to make. 

I actually admire any supporter who stands up and says they no longer enjoy the football nor have any emotion into caring of the result. Given how the club have treated supporters for so long. It’s no surprise people feel this way.

Going to watch football is now such an expensive past time. People have the right to complain given the investment they put in. The truth is, we’re no longer supporters but paying customers. If we’re not happy with the running of the club, or the performances. We have a right to complain. Especially when the same mistakes are made over and over.

It does tickle me with posts like yours who still have a 70s mindset of football. It’s no longer the working man’s game, it’s now the rich man’s business empire. It’s no surprise Bristol City football club is such a cosy club, when supporters still provide the club the same emotion and care as seeing your young boys team playing on a Sunday morning.

The behaviour and actions of the club over recent years would not be tolerated at most clubs. Especially those up north, we would have been enriched with all sort of protests.

Bristol City Football Club. Cosy Club. Too Soft Of a Fanbase.

Circle jerking over mid table in Div 2...again.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So when you were running Nige down on every MDT and you clearly weren’t enjoying it (your prerogative) was that you taking a sabbatical from being a true fan? Or is it a case of being able to criticise as long as you do it enthusiastically?

The club cannot AFFORD to lose supporters whether they meet your criteria of true or otherwise. The “we’ll be better off without them” sounds great when you’re ranting but in practice it really isn’t unless you want to head to League 1 with 10k true supporters in the ground.

Moaning on match day threads? Not at tha actual games then. He sounds like a true supporter...

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, redkev said:

Reading through the posts I really don’t enjoy our fan base being this divided , I think we all want the best for our team and personally think if we had the same points as we do now had the same cup results and Pearson was in charge alot more people would be happy , 

Dont get me wrong I didnt want Nige ousted at the time he was and the board royally xxxxxx up .

Mannings football so far has been very hit & miss , tbf when it’s been good it has been very good in my opinion I won’t  mention the performances because I will have to say that dreaded would Soxxxxxxxn , I also agree when we been poor it’s been very poor , 

I l don’t get the clamber to slate Manning for his press conferences either,  I couldn’t give too shits about how he says it or what he says if I want to watch something that entertains me or lights up my evening I will watch an after dinner speaker or a comedian , I really do think Manning is getting more stick than perhaps he deserves because of those above him on saying that we have had two pretty good performances over the weekend and he really does have to build on that and get some consistency in our performances especially against the shut up shop teams who we struggle to break down , rather our season Peter out I feel he needs to get some decent results / performances from now until the end of the season to TRY and get some supporters back onside , easier said than done . 

Manning is a (significant) side show to the real source of  resentment on one side of the divided fanbase. The heat on him will subside if he continues to produce. That won’t eradicate the division imo. Three people responsible for that.

• Flames 5

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Moaning on match day threads? Not at tha actual games then. He sounds like a true supporter...

Presumably attends home, not much away or was texting in the ground and not watching the game? Plenty go away who would fail the true supporter test on his/her definition!! Was a noticeable critic of NP though on those threads.

3 hours ago, awbb said:

Delighted as I am with back to back wins there is no enjoyment to be had for the rest of the season since our season is over. 

It's largely dull, but there may be a chance for Manning to show us something against some opponents with something left to play for. There is also a mighty fine hypothetical on the final day...

Sunderland (A): Sammy Szmodics tore them apart in their last game. Their form prior to that has been fairly ropey, but 3 of the previous 4 defeats were to teams with parachute payments. I think that humbling at home will probably sting them into wanting to get a result against us, which may allow us to play to our strengths a bit. Albeit, really, neither team has anything but pride on the line.

Blackburn (H): Depending on how they get on at home to Southampton, they might not be completely free from relegation worries. If that's the case, again, they may need to look for points against us which plays to our strengths. Otherwise, they will almost certainly be happy with a point, with nothing to play for, which is generally a sign that we will phone in a performance and let them score an avoidable goal to take all 3 points. This could be a game to see Manning finally make a difference.

Hudderfield (H): Chances are, they're going to still be fighting for survival (they have Millwall at home and Preston away before us), so if they're desperate for the 3 points we'll find it easier and the match will be more entertaining than if they're going to be happy with a point which would bring Manning under the microscope again.

Norwich (A): Norwich are still likely to be fighting for the playoffs so will almost certainly come out try and beat us. Since we got promoted, we've played 12 times (11 in the league and once in the League Cup, this season), winning 1 of those games and drawing 3. Let's just say, miracles do happen, but getting anything out of this would be astonishing. Could be a Manning masterclass...

Rotherham (H): OK, Rotherham will certainly be down at this point. Could be on the beach (as we certainly will be) or could be fighting for every last scrap of pride available to them. Either way, this is a complete no-win situation for Manning. A win is expected, a draw does no-one any favours and a defeat would undo any good work that he may have achieved between now and then.

Stoke (A): I mean, the dream is surely to send Stoke down on the final day isn't it? At their own place? They've got a bit of a gap at the moment, with a couple of relegation 6 pointers to play (Huddersfield and Plymouth) so there is a delightful outside chance we could be in the position to do it. Such a sweet revenge for Pulis and them doing us in 07/08. The awfulness of watching them on Match of the Day for a decade. Rory Delap's throw ins and kicking Arsenal off the park every time they played them. We choked our chance to do Birmingham City a few years ago, IIRC, so would be pleasant to do it this time! Manning would buy himself a lot of respect from me if he could pull that off, given the chance!

To be fair, for most of the last 8 seasons we have not had that much to play for, yes occasionally they get our hopes up just to dash them again as we fall away and for a few games this season we looked like we could maybe get dragged into a relegation battle, but for a large part of the last 8 seasons most of our games have been meaningless but I still love it when we win and the weekend just seems better, I think it will probably be like that for a good few seasons yet, but you never know, hope springs eternal which is why we keep going year after year.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My best friend from school passed away a couple of years ago, only a month older than me. We played in the same football and cricket team and did pretty much everything together even SHARING OUR GIRLFRIENDS!  It was his dad that first drove us to AG in 1967 - that really is a real perspective on life.

SHARING OUR GIRLFRIENDS! (at the same time?) you saucy little devil: laugh.

Edited by pillred

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Nailed him.

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Winning five in a row will mean we’ve had an amazing end to the season so would mean a lot going into next season 

To the next batch of young, want-away starlets. I used to enjoy following a team that tried to compete/progress (not player effort btw). I feel so much less enthused by it all nowadays.
It’s great seeing talent come through, but so so demotivating that we never seem capable of retaining them when we need them for our progression.

Not saying I want 30 somethings either, but it does detract when you know we are geared up as a selling club that won’t replace lost talent to a sufficient degree and thus impacts upon our progress.

Where does the enjoyment and progress come from?

Just me! 

Edited by Sturgess
  • Like 1

I can't agree with those saying that because we won't be in the top 6, or be relegated, that there's nothing to play for.

Every City match is a contest between the club I support, and our opponents, which I want City to win, and preferably, of course, win well.

It doesn't ruin my weekend if we lose as it once did - I don't expect it to having accepted long ago the passion of youth doesn't last forever - however it still pisses me off if City lose and perks me up considerably if we win.

Going to AG should be a largely enjoyable experience, and for me that means the manager putting out a positive City team with the aim of scoring goals and winning the match. Sounds simple enough, it won't always be successful, but no tactics are and when I can see this is at least the aim I can enjoy supporting the team and continue to identify with them, win or lose.

We have a good, honest squad who put in 100%, but we also have a coach who has much to prove, imo, as to whether he actually deserves this job, or not, and the performances of these players and this team are largely governed by his selections, instructions and the tactics and style of football he employs.

Rather than getting angry about the politics of the club my choice is to move back to the basics of why I went (and returned) to AG in the first place - the atmosphere, the feeling of belonging and the camaraderie and shared purpose with fellow fans, really getting behind a team I quickly identified with and hopefully celebrating the win. I was young enough to not know or even care who was in the Director's Box and, while it's not easy easy to put aside exasperating peripheral matters as an adult I accept have no control over them so getting embroiled in them is not worth my time or energy.

In my opinion this squad of players are, so I will continue to support them.

I might disagree with, and may even have grown to dislike, some of those in charge - I'll never forgive the sackings of Cotts or NP - but I'm not going to let myself become obsessed by them over everything else, when in truth it's supporting the team that's always been my main interest and focus.

As for LM, everything to prove but if he's staying for now as looks likely he shouldn't even consider that means it's OK to regularly bore supporters half to death, he'll never win over the majority of City fans with extended periods of tedious football lacking in real purpose or excitement. He must have a feel for the club and supporters by now and what's expected from a City manager and how his team is expected to play, so he has to show he can change and set up his team to really go for it, especially at AG.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I don't think you are a true City fan.

Many of us have supported the team through all the divisions with various qualities of manager and players.

Yes it's been horrible at times but personally, I still loved watching the team home and away and with same degree of passion and enthusiasm wherever we are.

That's what real supporters do.

Fans like you are what football club owners like the Lansdowns pray for….

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sturgess said:

To the next batch of young, want-away starlets. I used to enjoy following a team that tried to compete/progress (not player effort btw). I feel so much less enthused by it all nowadays.
It’s great seeing talent come through, but so so demotivating that we never seem capable of retaining them when we need them for our progression.

Not saying I want 30 somethings either, but it does detract when you know we are geared up as a selling club that won’t replace lost talent to a sufficient degree and thus impacts upon our progress.

Where does the enjoyment and progress come from?

Just me! 

This summer I'd strongly suggest no sales are needed. None.

Semenyo helped to save us from Sanctions (which is why it is so galling to hear bleating from rich PL clubs and whinging fans about a liberal set of rules at their level). Scott well given his injuries how much would he have featured anyway? Obviously first name on team sheet if and when fit.

However now there is no need..Let's show within sensible parameters some ambition both in terms of who we go for and who we strongly try to keep.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, redkev said:

A Board/Owner in control of a badly run football club will always divide the fan base.
Desperately need new owners.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

18 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

That’s the problem, I honestly don’t enjoy it anymore. There was a time when a defeat would ruin my weekend and a win would make it. Now, I couldn’t really give a ****, which is sad. If it wasn’t for the social side, I wouldn’t bother.

Seems to me drinks more important  than football maybe  drink  less & enjoy  what manning & vyner got to offer, oh and lay off the cheese. 

• Haha 1

Our attendances are upper mid table, the playing budget is upper mid table and lo and behold are league position is upper mid table.

The holy grail is to find a manager who can get the club to over perform by 10 to 15%.  I believed Nige was on the way to doing that, the Lansdowns didn’t.

Whether under Manning the sum will be greater than the sum of the parts, only time will tell.  Personally I don’t think judging him over the next 6 games is particularly helpful.  Let him have a full preseason and see how we go between the start of the season and the 2nd international break.  Then I believe we can  come to some more meaningful conclusions.

• Like 1