IGNORED

All my dreams come true… (Presser) - Merged

Interesting regarding cognitive load. Just because you told players a game plan doesn't mean they've taken it in. Ive often wandered how coaches / managers assess if players have actually taken in and understand their roles. 

Edited by Padlad

- Enjoying life in Bristol, feels well settled in. Thinks the championship has been a challenge but thrives on that and the biggest part (bit, Chris, bit) is helping people 

- Has known Liam a long time, wouldn’t have moved from Newcastle U23 for anyone else as they share the same values but can challenge each other as well. It was the person he moved for, known each other since 16, fell out of contact for 8 years and reacquainted when moved back to Ipswich after CH retired.

- Constantly learning through life and football, also applies to his kids who teach him things every day, he pushes Liam every day and Liam pushes him

- Saturday is about backing up the last two performances. Noted there have been some ups and downs so far

- Patience has been important so far and learning takes time - you can’t parachute in and go from mid table to top six straight away - it takes changes to processes, changes to behaviours

- Loves football, results are results but you need to believe in the process and go through tough times sometimes and come out the other side

- Consistency is key, we will have a gameplan and seek the same outcome as the last two games. Players consistent on the grass (yes!) this morning

- CH and LM work well together due to trust and respect with each other primarily but it’s not a friends thing, in work they can get heated but CH sees that as a good thing. He does like LM though. Wants an enjoyable environment with purpose - doesn’t like comfy environment and wants people to know they’ve worked when they go to bed at night

- Great answer to Piercy around asking if it was an interrogation and that it wasn’t love at first sight with LM

- Asked if he’d made any specific challenges to LM recently. Didn’t give a specific and talked more around genetics of the right place to have meetings, sessions etc

- CHs pro licence was around cognitive load and how much info players can take on, what the right environment is etc and thinks that’s important. He designs sessions and gets the Ok from LM before delivering - they jump in and out of each others sessions

- Has viewed the season as interesting in a personal level, team have had really good traits but consistency had been an issue. Gets that it isn’t linear but there have been some good performances against good sides (didn’t name the S word!)

- Thinks all games in division are close, first goal often vital as emotions can take over. Pleased with two clean sheets over the weekend - knows it’s a simple thing to say but it is important. Noted change at HT vs Plymouth and we saw out the game well

- JP asked re quicker tempo last two games. CH noted two teams on pitch but our intent was always to want to attack and approach had been similar to prior games (not sure that is the case but not a bad answer overall)

- Stated Liam was open to ideas and suggestions and him/CH had different personalities but were aligned in football approach - CHs job was to assess what the environment needed and helping the players primarily.

- CHs father in law (George Burley) watches every game and is now an adopted City fan

TL:DR

I liked that. A lot. It wasn’t robotic, it was human, it acknowledged that things haven’t been perfect and he came across really well. God knows why he hasn’t been put up before.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Robin 2

"Its not going to be an over night thing where you can parachute in to somewhere and bish bash bosh everything totally changes and you start winning every week and you go from mid table to top 6, it doesn't happen over night, it takes time" 

It was their bloody brief to come in and change things quickly! I'm not buying into another 'project'

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 8

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

"Its not going to be an over night thing where you can parachute in to somewhere and bish bash bosh everything totally changes and you start winning every week and you go from mid table to top 6, it doesn't happen over night, it takes time" 

It was their bloody brief to come in and change things quickly! I'm not buying into another 'project'

It wasn't really their brief though was it?

The bit you quoted is a really reasonable statement.

You don't have to buy into it if you don't want to. Totally up to you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It wasn’t their brief at all.  That was just Jon Lansdown talking shit 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, And Its Smith said:

There is no way that Lansdown and Tinnion gave them a brief of play offs for this season. 

It’s about communication (again) isn’t it? We all know we were sold a pup and we’re in a “rebuild” but making the point every time about how LM was stated as getting us top six is kind of counter productive. I’m totally unconvinced he’s the right man but I’m not judging that on not getting us top six, I’m judging it on what he has produced to date.

The Hogg conference today gave a lot more acknowledgment than Liams have that things haven’t been perfect. It was about an 80% similar message but the communication was far better and the tweaks were a good acknowledgment of where concerns lie.

Notably he didn’t overegg things which Liam can do - key point here is Hogg pointed to a change at HT against Plymouth when Liam said we went back four after 25 (we didn’t, Pring dropped back more to help Roberts but it wasn’t a four). More honest and less bullshit bingo moving forward can only help things.

But it’s all about communication. And stating “the board said top six” helps nobody five months on and actually lessens the valid criticism of what Liam has produced.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Can't dispute that.................

I can. All we've got to go on is what was said and numerous interviews by numerous people said that the expectation was for us to improve this season. Other wise why make the change (JL) 

When people say "Jon didn't actually mean what he said" makes me piss myself as they are just making things up to suit their agenda. 

We were just outside the play offs. We didn't bring these in to be happy to sit in mid table. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It’s about communication (again) isn’t it? We all know we were sold a pup and we’re in a “rebuild” but making the point every time about how LM was stated as getting us top six is kind of counter productive. I’m totally unconvinced he’s the right man but I’m not judging that on not getting us top six, I’m judging it on what he has produced to date.

The Hogg conference today gave a lot more acknowledgment than Liams have that things haven’t been perfect. It was about an 80% similar message but the communication was far better and the tweaks were a good acknowledgment of where concerns lie.

Notably he didn’t overegg things which Liam can do - key point here is Hogg pointed to a change at HT against Plymouth when Liam said we went back four after 25 (we didn’t, Pring dropped back more to help Roberts but it wasn’t a four). More honest and less bullshit bingo moving forward can only help things.

But it’s all about communication. And stating “the board said top six” helps nobody five months on and actually lessens the valid criticism of what Liam has produced.

It was Hogg that brought up about top 6 so his comments are open to debate.

The absolute bare minimum was for Liam to improve us and I think even Liams biggest fans would struggle to name any improvements.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It was Hogg that brought up about top 6 so his comments are open to debate.

The absolute bare minimum was for Liam to improve us and I think even Liams biggest fans would struggle to name any improvements.

Dont get me wrong - I struggle to see any improvements and am unconvinced that they are the right team.  But I would have been OK if they’d built on things and not got top six. That shouldn’t be the thing to hang them on as it was a bloody stupid statement at the time.

Hang them on what has been a sub par performance to date, absolutely. But I’d maintain more honest communication moving forward (allied with an improvement in performances) is key to getting them out of the hole that they are in with a lot of the fanbase.

I don’t think Tinnon, Lansdown etc ever get themselves out of the hole.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

13 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I can. All we've got to go on is what was said and numerous interviews by numerous people said that the expectation was for us to improve this season. Other wise why make the change (JL) 

When people say "Jon didn't actually mean what he said" makes me piss myself as they are just making things up to suit their agenda

We were just outside the play offs. We didn't bring these in to be happy to sit in mid table. 

Oh my.

The irony from you of all people. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dont get me wrong - I struggle to see any improvements and am unconvinced that they are the right team.  But I would have been OK if they’d built on things and not got top six. That shouldn’t be the thing to hang them on as it was a bloody stupid statement at the time.

Hang them on what has been a sub par performance to date, absolutely. But I’d maintain more honest communication moving forward (allied with an improvement in performances) is key to getting them out of the hole that they are in with a lot of the fanbase.

I don’t think Tinnon, Lansdown etc ever get themselves out of the hole.

I think most of us before this season expected an improvement from last season. Many of us could see the improvements that were happening. 

So as a fan of Bristol City I'm not sure why my pre season expectations should now be invalid because we decided to bring a new guy in? 

Maybe Jon etc went too far with their expectations but I think many of us expected us to get closer to those play offs this season. Maybe not expected to get in them but certainly closer than we are. 

So I think it is reasonable to hang them on the fact that we have not improved at all and that the expectations of the fans have not been met. We've regressed in some ways. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mozo said:

It wasn't really their brief though was it?

The bit you quoted is a really reasonable statement.

You don't have to buy into it if you don't want to. Totally up to you.

I'm not sure a lot of fans will buy into it personally. The idea of a rebuild, a new project. (We all) Remember Remember the words of November.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I find that quote offensive in the extreme

If these guys were not supposed to get us top 6 then why the **** was Pearson not given the fair opportunity this season.

• Like 7
  • Flames 6

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Very good post and I agree all of it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Welcome back. Glad to see you've remembered your log in details. 

More nonsense spouted by yourself. For what it is worth, I log-in most days. Not all of us are so attention seeking as yourself and feel the need to comment (negatively) on every little thing. 

You seem to despise the new boss, team, philosophy, owners, burger van, tea lady - anything connected to this club. Would it not make sense to go and do/support something else. Negativity breeds negativity and though a forum should be about openly challenging views, the biased agenda you have is just depressing. 

Edited by Sandhurst Red
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

I find that quote offensive in the extreme

If these guys were not supposed to get us top 6 then why the **** was Pearson not given the fair opportunity this season.

I'll let him off a bit in that I don't think many of us expected top 6 this season. 

However we did all expect progress and his words can also be criticised because we've not improved at all. 

I think these guys have came in and completely read the room wrong. 

For whatever reason they came in and thought the whole club needed rebuilding. Things like culture, behaviours etc. When thr reality was it was all set for them to take forward and they have simply not done that. They should have prioritised results. Instead they prioritised making us defensively solid against QPR. 

Using excuses like "well you can't expect us to have come in and improved things over night" is an absolute cop out and it annoys me as that insults my intelligence. If people are happy to fall for that line, fair enough. 

What I'd like to have heard is "I know fans expected a tangible improvement this season, I'm sorry that's not happened and this is why it's not happened" maybe then I'd connect to them and understand them. 

But him trying to dismiss our expectations to save his own skin really doesn't do them any favours. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sandhurst Red said:

More nonsense spouted by yourself. For what it is worth, I log-in most days. Not all of us are so attention seeking as yourself and feel the need to comment (negatively) on every little thing. 

You seem to despise the new boss, team, philosophy, owners, burger van, tea lady - anything connected to this club. Would it not make sense to go and do/support something else. Negativity breeds negativity and though a forum should be about openly challenging views, the biased agenda you have is just depressing. 

Im sorry that my agenda is wanting the best for Bristol City and not believing that these guys are the best for us. 

Please forgive me for having that opinion. 

You lost this arguement the moment you suggested I should go and do something else.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Padlad said:

Interesting regarding cognitive load. Just because you told players a game plan doesn't mean they've taken it in. Ive often wandered how coaches / managers assess if players have actually taken in and understand their roles. 

Do you know what cognitive load theory is? Although I have qualifications in psychology directly relating to football I don't.   

An answer to how do you assess? By players performances and actions, and talking to them. Frequently because of differing learning styles individuals will not have internalised all information, some will have misunderstood,  and some will take information literally as it was presented and that leads to challenges.

In any group of eleven, or twenty plus (a squad) it should be expected that people will display differing learning styles and difficulties like ADHD. 

So, in order to promote deeper understanding information needs to be in differing forms, and repeated, repetition is the key to deep learning and competency. Periodized and repetitious education on task beats episodic jumping from task to task.