IGNORED

All my dreams come true… (Presser) - Merged

7 hours ago, spudski said:

It's crossed my mind that we are 4 wins off of a play off spot in 6th place. 

You could arguably say in this league that margins are so fine, that a great deal of luck is involved and that 4 games could easily have been converted to wins. 

Is this why the likes of BT consider top 6 feesable?

Arguably the games we've won by fine margins could have been losses.

Look at Huddersfield. Lost less games than us and sit bottom 3

Because of the way points are handed out as in 3, 1, 0 it's much more important to win than to not lose. This is obviously the design of this - encouraging teams, particularly those playing away, to attack and go for the win rather than block out for a draw.

But what it means is that the difference between a win and a draw, 2 points, is double the difference between a draw and a loss. Generally draws really don't help a team climb the table.

Therefore converting draws into wins has greater impact than converting a loss into a draw. The same goals can have more impact on table position.

None of what I say here is exemplary critical thought or revelation.

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

Perhaps when interviewed next, they should ask JL and Tinnion what they mean by ' Top 6'.

As top 6 includes the top 2 and often teams fighting for those top 2 places. 

Or do they mean 6th...which is often only a few points above mid table sides. A big difference imo.

Seeing as no-one ever actually said the phrase "top 6" they'd probably be confused by the question. "Top 6" was implied by phrases like "top end of the division" and "promotion challenge" etc. But quite sensibly they never actually used that little phrase.

I go back to what Tinnion said on SoTC. He said at that time we needed to be "about ten points further on". IIRC given the points total at the the time he effectively declared that 1.54ppg was the target. That does make sense as that, over 46 games, achieves a 71 point total - which will normally see you finish something between 5th and 8th. A perfectly reasonable and realistic target for a club with our resources in my opinion.

So what I think they are looking for, at any single point in the season, is either 1.54ppg or an indication that we're not far off that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Everyone likes to ridicule the likes of JL for them saying top 6 was the target. I think they do that because they know their man has not delivered. 

Before the season started I did believe that with a fair wind and maybe one or two more signings then we could have had a crack at the top 6. 

You don't need to be a top 6 squad to get top 6. Coventry last season were not one of the best 6 sides in the league. They played terribly at times. However they had the ability to grind out results and get points from games that they shouldn't have. 

Ironically I believed that camaraderie was our best chance of getting into the top 6. This season it felt like our squad had taken a huge step forward in that regards. 

I think we went from wanting to emulate Coventry to then wanting to emulate Ipswich. 

People can ridicule the clubs statements all they like but the reality is we do have enough to have got more from games against QPR x2, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Cardiff, Preston, Millwall, Birmingham etc. 

There are the tangible factors that contribute to success; facilities, good coaching, man management, team selection, a talisman player, experienced players etc etc...

Then there are the intangibles, commonly referred to as luck; playing teams at the right time, referee decisions, injuries, momentum, certain players having a career best season, a confident striker, etc etc.

You can get your tangibles right, but if the intangibles don't go your way, you're guaranteed nowt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Ironically I believed that camaraderie was our best chance of getting into the top 6. This season it felt like our squad had taken a huge step forward in that regards. 

I think we went from wanting to emulate Coventry to then wanting to emulate Ipswich. 

People can ridicule the clubs statements all they like but the reality is we do have enough to have got more from games against QPR x2, Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Cardiff, Preston, Millwall, Birmingham etc. 

Was that the Italian boy?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Because of the way points are handed out as in 3, 1, 0 it's much more important to win than to not lose. This is obviously the design of this - encouraging teams, particularly those playing away, to attack and go for the win rather than block out for a draw.

But what it means is that the difference between a win and a draw, 2 points, is double the difference between a draw and a loss. Generally draws really don't help a team climb the table.

Therefore converting draws into wins has greater impact than converting a loss into a draw. The same goals can have more impact on table position.

None of what I say here is exemplary critical thought or revelation.

Seeing as no-one ever actually said the phrase "top 6" they'd probably be confused by the question. "Top 6" was implied by phrases like "top end of the division" and "promotion challenge" etc. But quite sensibly they never actually used that little phrase.

I go back to what Tinnion said on SoTC. He said at that time we needed to be "about ten points further on". IIRC given the points total at the the time he effectively declared that 1.54ppg was the target. That does make sense as that, over 46 games, achieves a 71 point total - which will normally see you finish something between 5th and 8th. A perfectly reasonable and realistic target for a club with our resources in my opinion.

So what I think they are looking for, at any single point in the season, is either 1.54ppg or an indication that we're not far off that.

I think when they said they expected promotion it set alarm bells for many fans. We aren't top 2...and the play offs are a lottery, so how do you expect promotion?

It's bullshit imo. 

That's the problem with this Club... constantly expecting. Either media saying we are in waiting or our own hierarchy. Apart from infrastructure, nothing in our playing side should make us expect. 

Tbh...the fans aren't stupid. They know we aren't promotion contenders. So why do they keep trying to fool everyone? Marketing strategy of course. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Tbh...the fans aren't stupid. They know we aren't promotion contenders. So why do they keep trying to fool everyone? Marketing strategy of course. 

Have you learned nothing from OTIB?!! 😜

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

I remember my first time extrapolating. Got Woolworths to trial a line I was selling in one store.  They made the mistake of telling me which store. Cue a 7 hour round trip to said store to buy all the stock and then when the sales data came through, an email to the buyer telling them if they extrapolated those sales to all Woolworths stores they’d sell 300k pieces a year so should place some bloody orders quick! 

Nice play! 🤣 Did it work?

22 hours ago, BCFC31 said:

You must be one of those jizzin them selves over the 2 wins and ignoring everything that went before it I guess.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

certainly not jizzing myself just seeing where it goes , I’m certainly have no manning love  in and if the upcoming performances follow the pattern of massive inconsistencies that have gone on his future will certainly have to be looked at , I wanted Nige to stay and didn’t want him sacked but there was certainly some awful times with him in charge aswell , 

out will come the same narratives though , yes but Nige had to sort this out and that out blah blah blah and I agree he did , but there was still some really poor performances in his tenure hear , and again I will state I didn’t want him sacked 

• Like 1