IGNORED

Nine years ago today

TV Tom

6 hours ago, Slacker said:

It's hard to believe we are still the same club as we were back then.

We haven't even come close as a club to the togetherness and the fan connection that we had in 14/15. It was the us v the world siege mentality that Cotts instilled in the club that i loved at the time. We so desperately need that again IMO, that is when this football club is at it's best.

• Like 11
  • Robin 2

It's easy to look back on promotion seasons as some of our best, but we were in League One then where promotion is a lot easier to achieve than in the Championship. Now we lose more games but we're playing at a higher level, which is really an improvement.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

We haven't even come close as a club to the togetherness and the fan connection that we had in 14/15. It was the us v the world siege mentality that Cotts instilled in the club that i loved at the time. We so desperately need that again IMO, that is when this football club is at it's best.

Completely agree with this and in my opinion we were getting there under Nige until the chuckle brothers enjoyed a self harming session for the club and many supporters.

All their protestations have turned to dust, and they should be ashamed of their actions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It's easy to look back on promotion seasons as some of our best, but we were in League One then where promotion is a lot easier to achieve than in the Championship. Now we lose more games but we're playing at a higher level, which is really an improvement.

True; but how is it that a shitty little club like Luton can come up from L1, spend just two seasons in the Champ, and then get promoted to the PL ?

• Like 1

For younger forum members; 7th April 2015; was in the middle of a 15 match streak winning ten and drawing five. That particular day City 3 - Swindon 0 or s I posted on FB at the time; 

What a great night's TV; Bristol City 3 - some dirty, fouling thugs 0.
We are going up!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

True; but how is it that a shitty little club like Luton can come up from L1, spend just two seasons in the Champ, and then get promoted to the PL ?

A lot of it comes down to momentum imo. Like Ipswich this season (and so nearly us in 2008.) 

It’s memories like this that make you realise just how few great moments we have as City fans.

That was a truly great evening, beating our local rivals after what had gone on earlier in the season, a comprehensive win and a general feeling that there would be no stopping us winning the league.

It just feels like days/evenings like that are very few and far between for us. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

By employing a new coach to take this Championship challenging squad to another level by playing fast paced front foot football. Its all in the behaviours, don't you know.

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

It’s memories like this that make you realise just how few great moments we have as City fans.

That was a truly great evening, beating our local rivals after what had gone on earlier in the season, a comprehensive win and a general feeling that there would be no stopping us winning the league.

Days/evenings like these are rare for most supporters unless you live in Manchester or Liverpool. My son's first season ticket season was 97/98,I warned him 'its not usually like this,you know' !

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Days/evenings like these are rare for most supporters unless you live in Manchester or Liverpool. My son's first season ticket season was 97/98,I warned him 'its not usually like this,you know' !

Yeah maybe it’s the same for most fans but it does feel we have fewer big occasion matches than others.

If you’re forever in mid table that’ll be the way I suppose. Look at Rotherham, they get regular promotion seasons but of course have to put up with relegation seasons to get that.

But you only have to look at the fact 50 teams have played premier league football and we, with our nice ground and over 20,000 ave attendance aren’t one of them. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

And how crap those "great moments" are compared to many of our peers.

Let's be honest, beating Swindon in League 1 and our CB saying something funny after the match is pretty pathetic as great footballing moments go 😅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BITW said:

A lot of it comes down to momentum imo. Like Ipswich this season (and so nearly us in 2008.) 

Or when Cotts took us up only for SL to piss the momentum up the wall (again)

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

We were made of absolute steel that season. One of our few defeats was at the County Ground early on.. A huge sense of injustice fueled us from Wade Elliott’s early red card (which was unprofessionally celebrated by Harry Toffolo), the over the top gloating from their players and fans at the final whistle, and their “title winning” lap of honour. I remember Franky Fielding confronting a Swindon player who was on his way over to the city end to gloat.

There was no way that Cotts and this group of players were gonna let this go. An empathic 3-0 victory showed that lot why we were the CHAMPIONS. “It’s Bryan, it’s brilliant”!!! Awesome atmosphere and performance which all but secured promotion, culminating in Flint’s famous words. Nobody messed with BCFC that season and I’d love to have some of that spirit back.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 7
  • Flames 2

Interesting to think 9 years on and the following players from both City & Swindon on the night still playing at our level or higher:

Frankie Fielding- on books for Stoke (0 playtime)

Luke Ayling - Middlesbrough 

James Taveriner - Rangers

Joe Bryan - Milwall

George Saville - Milwall

Greg Cunningham - Preston 

Swindon:

Wes Foderingham - (premier league sheff Utd) 

Jack Stephen’s - Southampton

Michael Smith - Sheff Weds

John Swift - WBA

15 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Interesting to think 9 years on and the following players from both City & Swindon on the night still playing at our level or higher:

Frankie Fielding- on books for Stoke (0 playtime)

Luke Ayling - Middlesbrough 

James Taveriner - Rangers

Joe Bryan - Milwall

George Saville - Milwall

Greg Cunningham - Preston 

Swindon:

Wes Foderingham - (premier league sheff Utd) 

Jack Stephen’s - Southampton

Michael Smith - Sheff Weds

John Swift - WBA

Also Massimo Luongo and Harry Toffolo who played regularly for Swindon that season playing for Ipswich and Forest respectively! That was actually a really good Swindon team, shame they didn’t have the balls to finish the job. 😃

10 hours ago, sugarwray said:

Great memories of the last home game of the season against Coventry. There were a good number of Flint said no T shirts. Happy days 

Walsall 8-2 was the last home game, Coventry was the game we clinched the champion slot. It was a very poor game as well,it wasn't completely beer and skittles, sweetness and light, that season!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

We were made of absolute steel that season. One of our few defeats was at the County Ground early on.. A huge sense of injustice fueled us from Wade Elliott’s early red card (which was unprofessionally celebrated by Harry Toffolo), the over the top gloating from their players and fans at the final whistle, and their “title winning” lap of honour. I remember Franky Fielding confronting a Swindon player who was on his way over to the city end to gloat.

There was no way that Cotts and this group of players were gonna let this go. An empathic 3-0 victory showed that lot why we were the CHAMPIONS. “It’s Bryan, it’s brilliant”!!! Awesome atmosphere and performance which all but secured promotion, culminating in Flint’s famous words. Nobody messed with BCFC that season and I’d love to have some of that spirit back.

Steve Cotterill trying to hear the Swindon fans that night 😂

B0A7860F-0EB0-455F-8615-6D509A4B018A.png

• Like 5

On 07/04/2024 at 09:34, Bris Red said:

It wasn't a togetherness throughout the club though. The hierarchy couldn't stand him. I had it on very good authority that they thought that he was a 'nutter' and a nightmare to work with. 

Which basically translates as he wouldn't tolerate their bullshit and suck up. 

Fast forward nine years. Oh... here we are again!

Difference is that Cotterill may have been a bit of a 'nutter'. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

It wasn't a togetherness throughout the club though. The hierarchy couldn't stand him. I had it on very good authority that they thought that he was a 'nutter' and a nightmare to work with. 

Which basically translates as he wouldn't tolerate their bullshit and suck up. 

Fast forward nine years. Oh... here we are again!

Difference is that Cotterill may have been a bit of a 'nutter'. 

Here we go again 😴

• Facepalm 1