IGNORED

VAR

5 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

If that were so, why no procession of players from there to the top teams in the Championship? Why so many English players go permanent up there? Only a handful can be on better wages than the top of the Championship. 

Because they usually skip the championship?

Celtic for instance have sold Jota for big money to Saudi, Starfelt to La Liga, Juranovic and Frimpong to Germany and Ajer, Edouard and Christie to PL clubs.

It’s always a tough and non-exact comparison to use though - for instance Celtic have sent a player that can’t get in their team in Mikey Johnston and he’s got 7 in 13 for West Brom!

Both would be top end of the Championship, although like most clubs would struggle to compete with EPL parachute payments. 

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

VAR goes to a new all time low

Rangers v Celtic

Shocking

I will keep saying it Corrupt as Duck

Am I the only one who didn’t think it was that bad a decision? You could clearly see the contact from the Celtic defender on Silva. You could argue all day if the contact was enough to send him over, but VAR aren’t here to discuss physics.

There was contact, Silva sent down. Therefore it’s a penalty.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Am I the only one who didn’t think it was that bad a decision? You could clearly see the contact from the Celtic defender on Silva. You could argue all day if the contact was enough to send him over, but VAR aren’t here to discuss physics.

Agree.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

But VAR does need to consider that to be fair, because contact doesn’t equal foul - in the same way that the Brighton defender slightly touching the ball doesn’t mean good tackle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Because they usually skip the championship?

Celtic for instance have sold Jota for big money to Saudi, Starfelt to La Liga, Juranovic and Frimpong to Germany and Ajer, Edouard and Christie to PL clubs.

It’s always a tough and non-exact comparison to use though - for instance Celtic have sent a player that can’t get in their team in Mikey Johnston and he’s got 7 in 13 for West Brom!

Both would be top end of the Championship, although like most clubs would struggle to compete with EPL parachute payments. 

Really not that many, and what of all the English who go and stay?

Will hopefully never know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He was already half way through his dive when contact was made

• Haha 1

If any league is going to remove VAR, my money's on the SPL. It's been an absolute disaster up there and is universally hated by clubs, players and fans.

Celtic / Rangers would be mid-low Prem in their current state, and would have the financial power to improve and compete.

To suggest recent Europa League finalists would be mid-low Champ is pretty disingenuous.

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I don’t think it was a terrible decision. If your foot connects with an attacking players knee you are in trouble - however I do disagree with your comment.

The game should never have evolved for it to be accepted that any contact makes it okay for an attacker to go down. Something that has been exacerbated by VAR.

I don’t think the contact was enough to actually impede Silva, and he’s obviously dived, but in the VAR age it’s a foul.

• Like 1

Did anyone see the Wolves equalising goal from a cross that was ruled out by VaR because a Wolves player ‘was blocking the goalkeeper’s vision’  - wtf!? 

None of the pundits on MOTD could understand it. All the keeper had to do was step either way……jeez …… no wonder O’Neill was livid

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

If any league is going to remove VAR, my money's on the SPL. It's been an absolute disaster up there and is universally hated by clubs, players and fans.

Celtic / Rangers would be mid-low Prem in their current state, and would have the financial power to improve and compete.

To suggest recent Europa League finalists would be mid-low Champ is pretty disingenuous.

If they were that good their players would be in high demand in many top leagues, but largely they are not. Many English cast offs make the trip up there and stay, and old uns topping up the pension pot.

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

But VAR does need to consider that to be fair, because contact doesn’t equal foul - in the same way that the Brighton defender slightly touching the ball doesn’t mean good tackle

I think the ball was gone and the only contact made was by the Celtic player on the Rangers player. You will have winning the ball and contact after. It’s inevitable. That wasn’t the case here.

10 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

I don’t think it was a terrible decision. If your foot connects with an attacking players knee you are in trouble - however I do disagree with your comment.

The game should never have evolved for it to be accepted that any contact makes it okay for an attacker to go down. Something that has been exacerbated by VAR.

I don’t think the contact was enough to actually impede Silva, and he’s obviously dived, but in the VAR age it’s a foul.

But you’ve summed it up in your final sentence. You don’t “think” the contact was enough. How would you ever prove if it is or isn’t? The contact was clear and Silva went over, therefore it’s a penalty.

33 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

On what basis? Where would you place them then?

Players of Todd Cantwells level are top Championship level. I think Rangers and Celtic would be competing for promotion in the Champ. If they got to the PL with the extra money and better players they would easily stay in the PL.

The other teams ive seen in the SPL would struggle in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Players of Todd Cantwells level are top Championship level. I think Rangers and Celtic would be competing for promotion in the Champ. If they got to the PL with the extra money and better players they would easily stay in the PL.

Why is Cantwell there then and not on top money in a top 6 Champ club?

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Was he though? He was turning at pace. Contact was made, he has gone down. All pretty basic when deciding on a foul surely?

So are you saying ANY contact and a player goes down it Has to be a pen?

The great thing about football is fans having different opinions

Think we will agree to disagree one this one

3 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

So are you saying ANY contact and a player goes down it Has to be a pen?

The great thing about football is fans having different opinions

Think we will agree to disagree one this one

If there is clear contact and they haven’t won the ball I am not sure how it can’t be a penalty/free kick. Surely that’s within the rules?

23 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I think the ball was gone and the only contact made was by the Celtic player on the Rangers player. You will have winning the ball and contact after. It’s inevitable. That wasn’t the case here.

I’ve had a chance to re watch it a few times now on twitter and I’m not sure either way. My main thought is poor defending and you’re asking for trouble doing that. Silva’s looking for it too.

I agree VAR will never be able to confirm beyond doubt if any contact is “enough”.

I agree it’s not the worst decision I’ve seen, probably not even the worst this weekend.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Did anyone see the Wolves equalising goal from a cross that was ruled out by VaR because a Wolves player ‘was blocking the goalkeeper’s vision’  - wtf!? 

None of the pundits on MOTD could understand it. All the keeper had to do was step either way……jeez …… no wonder O’Neill was livid

Obviously the VAR thought the keeper was impeded but the pundits and Wolves didn’t .

Again it comes down to subjective opinion which not sure was the intention of VAR really .

Just created more debate and confusion as proven here .

Doesn’t help that different interpretations are used across the leagues and Europe either .

Do they have the same problems elsewhere ?

Edited by Markthehorn

54 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Todd Cantwell wasn’t a top end Championship player when he was in the Championship. That’s why he went to Rangers.

Todd Cantwell doesn’t even get in Rangers strongest lineup tbf.

A player that showed plenty of promise early in his career, fell off the right path and hoped for a new lease of life in a different country.

He won’t last a massive amount of time at Rangers and I’d be surprised if he ever has a career above Championship level.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The contact was clear and Silva went over, therefore it’s a penalty.

If it's a Bristol City player it's not!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

VAR goes to a new all time low

Rangers v Celtic

Shocking

I will keep saying it Corrupt as Duck

Corrupt is a big allegation. I mean are we saying bribes are involved. Surly var ref just relays what they see. I agree the way car is used needs refining but as Ur seems we will have in the championship next season we best get used to it 

11 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

He won’t last a massive amount of time at Rangers and I’d be surprised if he ever has a career above Championship level.

I cant honestly say i watch scottish football so i have no idea of his current form to be fair. However, he did play in the PL for Norwich (40 odd games) and over 80 in the Champ. So clearly he has already had a career above Championship level.

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Corrupt is a big allegation. I mean are we saying bribes are involved. Surly var ref just relays what they see. I agree the way car is used needs refining but as Ur seems we will have in the championship next season we best get used to it 

The laws are there, it's their interpretation by humans that is the problem and some officials don't help the situation.