IGNORED

Max O’Leary - Should we be worried?

Should we be worried someone will come in for Max in the summer?  

Currently rated top for shots saved % for Champ GK who have played over 23 games this season. 

Games Played: 41

Shots Faced: 168 

Save % 75.6 

Huge respect to Pat Mountain for sticking by him and willing to give him chance when Bentley left. 

@Davefevs any chance of a chart to compare other keepers in the league please?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Won’t have tonight’s data until tomorrow (usually), and Wyscout hasn’t even updated Saturday’s fixtures yet…they have a bug.  So probably won’t have anything yet.

No rush, get some sleep! We all deserve it after that performance 

He's been brilliant since last regaining his place in the team, I love his style

If Bentley is good enough for a Prem wage then Max definitely is which yes is a bit worrying because otherwise that's the keeper position sorted for the next half decade or more

I wasn't a fan of Max but over the last 10 games or so he massively improved in the areas I thought he was lacking in to the point it was detrimental to us.

He takes much more time with his kicking from at least 10 a game going out of play to only 1 if that.

There seems to be a bit more cohesion with the centre backs pulling wide, centre mid dropping deep and wing backs staying wide meaning he's got 5/6 options. Because of those options the opposition don't press him and he can take his time to focus on a good connection and direction.

Great improvement.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just because someone is playing well doesn't mean they're off in the next transfer window 

Let's have a bit of realism 

I'm not so sure, I think I can already hear SL rubbing his wrinkled hands together and muttering about his nest egg ....

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, HengroveReds said:

Currently rated top for shots saved % for Champ GK who have played over 23 games this season. 

Save % 75.6 

Huge respect to Pat Mountain for sticking by him and willing to give him chance when Bentley left. 

Huge respect to who?

Think you'll find it was Pearson.... 

• Like 5

Whilst I think he could go on to play for a team fighting at the top of the table I don’t think we have too much to be worried about. I get the impression he’s very happy where he is, local lad and has cemented his place as number 1 after years of being in and out of the starting 11. Unless a big offer comes in from a much stronger side, I’d imagine Max will most definitely be here at the start of next season at the very least. 

7 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Did he play tonight?

I never noticed him.

One calm interception to a ball over Vyner & certainly stopped their giant number 9 from scoring from a wicked cross.

We would certainly have noticed if he hadn’t played..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Huge respect to who?

Think you'll find it was Pearson.... 

Max has improved significantly since the autumn and that co-incided with other changes! If a big bid came in for him of course the owner has to consider it and then its the same question as every summer; does SL think we have the right squad and coach to have a go for top six? The next question then is can the books be balanced to avoid the financial penalties which now determine where the club ends up just as much as results on the pitch.

I like Max, hope stays but have to be realistic that, local lad or not, all players want a Premier League income and opportunity to progress. Liam has had to do without Scott and Semenyo this season with little money to spend on quality replacements. What we'll see in August depends on how the owner sees our prospects as above.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

One calm interception to a ball over Vyner & certainly stopped their giant number 9 from scoring from a wicked cross.

GC, i almost forgot that one in the haze of relief about last night's performance but you are right. It is always an enjoyable night when you see our keeper so well protected - only Smodics had a sniff ..and the rest is history; fantastic watch

20 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Max has improved significantly since the autumn and that co-incided with other changes! If a big bid came in for him of course the owner has to consider it and then its the same question as every summer; does SL think we have the right squad and coach to have a go for top six? The next question then is can the books be balanced to avoid the financial penalties which now determine where the club ends up just as much as results on the pitch.

I like Max, hope stays but have to be realistic that, local lad or not, all players want a Premier League income and opportunity to progress. Liam has had to do without Scott and Semenyo this season with little money to spend on quality replacements. What we'll see in August depends on how the owner sees our prospects as above.

I note you did credit Pearson on another thread and the simple explanation is Max has benefitted from simply staying in the team and his experience and confidence levels have improved enabling him to improve his game from "steady and reliable" to "occasional match winner". Yes, he makes mistakes but half the dopes who post about keepers think they aren't allowed to make a mistake simply because they are a goalkeeper and not a "real footballer". Complete and utter thick as mince Bellends.................

Mine too with T.C as YPOS. I thought while Pearson was in charge Zak would get my vote as he was, IMO, the most improved player in the early months of the season; = credit Pearson I dont think Zak has improved under Liam though still rate him very highly. Dickie would be my 2nd choice after Max - anyone know when the recent voting will be counted and announced?

8 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Surely not…. League one keeper innee?!

Yes, love the irony. So many on here used him as Pearson's scapegoat and called him league 1.

I will be delighted for him if we got a big fee as i dont see many other answers for balancing the books without selling one or two. If we dont need to sell, then he will be the pillar of our push for top half/top 6 next season; love it also that he is local. He is well protected by the CB pairing Pearson nurtured and this should always be noted so i believe keeping those two here and fit is a major consideration too

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Based on recent games, he is lacking one critical skills most keepers have.

When was the last time you saw him pick the ball up out of his own net?

Wasn’t it about the same time Rovers actually put one in the net 😂😂😂

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think Appydaze comment was tongue in cheek Graham. Max had very little to do all game.

9 hours ago, HengroveReds said:

Save % 75.6 

Not as good as Bentley...

• Haha 1