IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wonder if there is any correlation, example, or evidence that links "finishing strong" in one season with a strong start to the following one?

The idea that good results in April 2024 will increase the chance of good results in August 2024 has the feeling of a classic football cliché to me.

I’d envisage that some of the stat there would be dependant on turnover of players. I can get on board with that if you have a squad that’s winning at the back end of one season then if that squad is largely stable at the start of the next season the style of play, positions etc are well ingrained and there’s less bedding in on a new year. The issue here is that 4 of our starting eleven have doubts over whether they’ll be here next year and if they aren’t, I’m not sure a win here correlates to anything next year.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But some leeway with slightly makeshift back-4.

It’s Liam’s choice though Dave.. if young JKL can’t get a start today at home against relegation threatened Huddersfield with Zac, Dickie and Atkinson unavailable then when can he?

• Like 2
  • Admin
2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Never seen us line up without a CB before 

Depending on your opinion of Naismith’s primary position, Pearson was forced to for successive matches leading into that West Brom game.

Just now, FNQ said:

It’s Liam’s choice though Dave.. if young JKL can’t get a start today at home against relegation threatened Huddersfield with Zac, Dickie and Atkinson unavailable then when can he?

Who knows.

Like under Nige, there’s time to expose youngsters and a time not to.  In a makeshift back-line, maybe today isn’t that time.

If it is a back-4, Roberts has to find his feet playing as a pair too, so I can understand why he isn’t starting today.

Not a stick to bear LM with imho.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’d envisage that some of the stat there would be dependant on turnover of players. I can get on board with that if you have a squad that’s winning at the back end of one season then if that squad is largely stable at the start of the next season the style of play, positions etc are well ingrained and there’s less bedding in on a new year. The issue here is that 4 of our starting eleven have doubts over whether they’ll be here next year and if they aren’t, I’m not sure a win here correlates to anything next year.

I don't think these final four games mean anything at all. Someone the other told me that every game matters...which really isn't true. These last four don't matter to us, not beyond the final whistle anyway.

I agree that squad churn will be a factor of course.

I think also - your form before the "strong finish" should factor in as well. There's a big difference between a team that has been strong all season "finishing strong", and a team that was recently in relegation form doing so.

I just think it's a meaningless phrase trotted out because it sounds like the right thing to say.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who knows.

Like under Nige, there’s time to expose youngsters and a time not to.  In a makeshift back-line, maybe today isn’t that time.

If it is a back-4, Roberts has to find his feet playing as a pair too, so I can understand why he isn’t starting today.

Totally agree Dave , I would play him perhaps alongside Dickie or Vyner but not without any of them , never seen much of the lad so don’t know what he’s like as a player or temperament wise

• Like 1
Just now, redkev said:

Totally agree Dave , I would play him perhaps alongside Dickie or Vyner but not without any of them , never seen much of the lad so don’t know what he’s like as a player or temperament wise

In terms of u21 he’s mature (as a defender) for his age, composed, doesn’t get flustered.  But u21s is u21s!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In terms of u21 he’s mature (as a defender) for his age, composed, doesn’t get flustered.  But u21s is u21s!

I still think it’s end of season at home against Huddersfield and even more so if he’s composed and mature for his age, what else can he do? Anyway it’s a moot point and just my opinion too.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who knows.

I agree, could hang him out to dry in that line up. He needs to come in with experience (and stability) alongside him.

• Like 2

LM suggesting it might be back-3 (RM, GT, HR) in bbc pre-match interview.

Just now, MarcusX said:

I agree, could hang him out to dry in that line up. He needs to come in with experience (and stability) alongside him.

Spoken like a true CB

#centrebackunion

• Haha 1