IGNORED

Huddersfield Town at home match thread

21 minutes ago, FNQ said:

It’s Liam’s choice though Dave.. if young JKL can’t get a start today at home against relegation threatened Huddersfield with Zac, Dickie and Atkinson unavailable then when can he?

True enough, and I do acknowledge the point though about playing him without anyone who does have experience may be a factor.

There are two relatively straightforward points for me:

- Your subs should broadly be players who you can trust to play a decent part in the game if needed. Obvious exceptions when you have things like Backwell today, but JKL has been on the bench for, what, 25 games? Hes a consistent first team squad member and when an opportunity arises in his natural position to start, we rejig the side instead. Regardless of the merits of the call, he’s got to be feeling pretty shitty right now - and it does also call into question as to if he’s worth the place on the bench

- By making the call we have, I think the game becomes a bit more “pressure” than otherwise it would. Experiment and things don’t work, fine. Fall back on experience and rejig the side through choice - less patience if we do perform badly.

Hopefully all moot at 4:45 and we win 17-0 with JKL and potentially Backwell getting decent time off the bench. 

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I wonder if there is any correlation, example, or evidence that links "finishing strong" in one season with a strong start to the following one?

The idea that good results in April 2024 will increase the chance of good results in August 2024 has the feeling of a classic football cliché to me.

A game of two seasons?

• Like 1

It might be interesting to see how O'Leary does today. Huddersfield don't have the greatest attack, but it's not the worst either. With a bodge-job bulwark in front of him Max may get a bit more of a test today.

To add - I think he'll do just fine, but it's something to look for.

Edited by ExiledAjax
2 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Anyone know anything about Backwell, and what position does he play ?

22 years old, attacking midfielder. Loan spells at quite a few local clubs including the mighty Yate. Not a name I expected on the bench as he seems to play in a position we’re well covered for today and may well not be renewed in the summer. As I said earlier, I’d have probably gone Campbell-Slowey for no other reasons than position, age and definitely here next year.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Regularly watching the youngsters come through alongside me these days, seen a few horror stories 🤣 

Remember when I was 17, the reserves I was playing in was all 16-17 year olds with a 40 year old in midfield.  We struggled big time.  One of the dads had played at Wembley in the Vase, and said he’d help out.  He played alongside me.  I attacked every ball, he swept.  He talked me through the whole game.  It was so much easier, that two headless chickens aged 16 and 17 at CB! 😀

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

True enough, and I do acknowledge the point though about playing him without anyone who does have experience may be a factor.

There are two relatively straightforward points for me:

- Your subs should broadly be players who you can trust to play a decent part in the game if needed. Obvious exceptions when you have things like Backwell today, but JKL has been on the bench for, what, 25 games? Hes a consistent first team squad member and when an opportunity arises in his natural position to start, we rejig the side instead. Regardless of the merits of the call, he’s got to be feeling pretty shitty right now - and it does also call into question as to if he’s worth the place on the bench

- By making the call we have, I think the game becomes a bit more “pressure” than otherwise it would. Experiment and things don’t work, fine. Fall back on experience and rejig the side through choice - less patience if we do perform badly.

Hopefully all moot at 4:45 and we win 17-0 with JKL and potentially Backwell getting decent time off the bench. 

Pal (😉)…I think with 9 subs, that concept doesn’t necessarily hold.  Although, you could rightly argue why he hasn’t filled it either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Interesting. Would never have guessed it was them in a three. I was assuming it was GT,HR,CP but couldn't see who would be LWB.

FWIW pre-team sheet order coming out it was my first thought.  Still no idea what it will be.

Sykes or Knight could be RWB???

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I don't think these final four games mean anything at all. Someone the other told me that every game matters...which really isn't true. These last four don't matter to us, not beyond the final whistle anyway.

I agree that squad churn will be a factor of course.

I think also - your form before the "strong finish" should factor in as well. There's a big difference between a team that has been strong all season "finishing strong", and a team that was recently in relegation form doing so.

I just think it's a meaningless phrase trotted out because it sounds like the right thing to say.

And will encourage people to renew their Season tickets

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Remember when I was 17, the reserves I was playing in was all 16-17 year olds with a 40 year old in midfield.  We struggled big time.  One of the dads had played at Wembley in the Vase, and said he’d help out.  He played alongside me.  I attacked every ball, he swept.  He talked me through the whole game.  It was so much easier, that two headless chickens aged 16 and 17 at CB! 😀

Pal (😉)…I think with 9 subs, that concept doesn’t necessarily hold.  Although, you could rightly argue why he hasn’t filled it either.

I do agree on the last part if it’s “incidentals” - the distinction I’m probably making is between a JKL who has been on the bench all season and the bench fillers for fillers sake. If you’re on the bench for 60% of the season you should be trusted to start if needed.

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

At least he's making the effort, unlike some.

Absolutely. I get that the original poster holds a view that some won’t like, but I’ve noticed a couple of pretty childish and pointless posts aimed at the individual already this afternoon. There’s always been a bit of it on here but recently it’s got worse. If you don’t like an individual and can’t be bothered to argue their post, then just leave their point unanswered, if your ego or immaturity does not allow you to do that then put the poster on block. Simple really and perhaps just grow up a little bit….

Makes the forum quite dull at times which is a shame as there are lots of good posters on here.