IGNORED

Exodus

On 13/04/2024 at 17:56, pikeysrobins said:

So….why the MASS exodus of fans (a) when Huddersfield scored (b) on 85 mins?? I hate it when fans leave early at the best of times but that was embarrassing today. We have been on a good run of late and I know things are petering out to another season of mid-tableness but hey…fair enough if we’re losing 3-0 or similar! I’d like to know how many City fans saw Nahki’s penalty scored as we fought regardless of performance to get on level terms. 

I think you’ll find this is what you get when you disconnect with a large number of your fanbase.  

They don’t feel invested any more, so find it far easier to walk away if they’re watching dross.  I reckon you can put a large amount of blame down t when we turned from fans into customers.

If the product is shit, you can then walk away without conscience.

• Like 8

Just now, BrizzleRed said:

I think you’ll find this is what you get when you disconnect with a large number of your fanbase.  

They don’t feel invested any more, so find it far easier to walk away if they’re watching dross.  I reckon you can put a large amount of blame down t when we turned from fans into customers.

There is also the fact that it was a dead rubber game. The end result wasn't really that important. It was boring and a bit cold so people left.

If we'd been desperate for a point to stay out the drop zone or make the play-offs, then you'd find people staying until the final whistle regardless of those two factors. 

• Like 3

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

There is also the fact that it was a dead rubber game. The end result wasn't really that important. It was boring and a bit cold so people left.

If we'd been desperate for a point to stay out the drop zone or make the play-offs, then you'd find people staying until the final whistle regardless of those two factors. 

Very true👍.  

It certainly had that end-of-season atmosphere about it and as you say, you can bet it would have been very different with something riding on it.

I still think the club have a hell of a lot of work to do to try and get more of the fans back on board for the new season though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Very true👍.  

It certainly had that end-of-season atmosphere about it and as you say, you can bet it would have been very different with something riding on it.

I still think the club have a hell of a lot of work to do to try and get more of the fans back on board for the new season though.

I just think "I've seen a hell of a lot worse in the past"!  Not thrilled with Manning, but his reign has so far given us a few highpoints, so it's not all been tedium. There are glimpses that a joined-up successful Bristol City could be created although far too much is slow-paced cobblers like Saturday. I'll press on as a fan and hope that consistency might come. We've not had a really exciting season for some time. Even under NP it was all "a period of transition".

Although Huddy fans are big soppy Yorkshire puddings - they must all have eagle eyes in order to have instantly seen from the other side of the ground that there was "no penalty" (and as for the extra time added, they clearly don't know the rules) - however their side gave a good account of itself, as will most teams playing out of their skin at this stage of the season to try to avoid the drop. I think that intensity made us look poor, especially in the first half. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I just think "I've seen a hell of a lot worse in the past"!  Not thrilled with Manning, but his reign has so far given us a few highpoints, so it's not all been tedium. There are glimpses that a joined-up successful Bristol City could be created although far too much is slow-paced cobblers like Saturday. I'll press on as a fan and hope that consistency might come. We've not had a really exciting season for some time. Even under NP it was all "a period of transition".

Although Huddy fans are big soppy Yorkshire puddings - they must all have eagle eyes in order to have instantly seen from the other side of the ground that there was "no penalty" (and as for the extra time added, they clearly don't know the rules) - however their side gave a good account of itself, as will most teams playing out of their skin at this stage of the season to try to avoid the drop. I think that intensity made us look poor, especially in the first half. 

I completely agree we’ve seen far worse in the past …… on the pitch.  

I honestly can’t remember such a half arsed, shambolic, amateur, unqualified bunch running the club before though.  

How SL can think this mob is what’s required to run a successful Championship club completely baffles me and I think this is the root of the problems at this club, not the head coach, though he doesn’t help matters!

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

I honestly can’t remember such a half arsed, shambolic, amateur, unqualified bunch running the club before though.  

Nail, head, the, squarely, on, hit. Certainly not since the days when we thought it was sensible to hand out 11 year contracts.......so being kind they are the worst for at least 40 years and by some distance too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I completely agree we’ve seen far worse in the past …… on the pitch.  

How SL can think this mob is what’s required to run a successful Championship club completely baffles me and I think this is the root of the problems at this club, not the head coach, though he doesn’t help matters!

Totally agree, but it's a bit like my local boozer: the landlord is a bit of a twonk and he's had the pub on the market for a while - but I still go there because it's my local and there are things I like about it, that are nothing to do with him.  City are my club, so I'll hopefully last out the Lansdown years. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

I learn' t a very long time ago never to leave before the end of the match.

That match was an F A Cup 3rd round match 1978 at Ashton Gate v Wrexham of the Third Division who were winning 4:2  with 5 minutes to go. I left early, thoroughly disgruntled. We scored twice in the final minutes to take it to a replay [which we lost, miserably 3:0]

The last time I had to leave early was when we broke Southampton's calendar year home record at St Marys [because the car park I was using was closing]

I really can't understand why a lot of people do leave early irrespective if its dross you're watching. It must be pretty demoralising for the players seeing all those fans leaving.

It makes sitting through Cardiff tearing us a new one with a 6:0 home drubbing all the more sweeter when Nahki Wells slots home that last minute injury time penalty & let's face it, if they hadn't been time wasting warnock style, the excellent referee would've blown up for time earlier.

• Like 2

On 13/04/2024 at 17:56, pikeysrobins said:

So….why the MASS exodus of fans (a) when Huddersfield scored (b) on 85 mins?? I hate it when fans leave early at the best of times but that was embarrassing today. We have been on a good run of late and I know things are petering out to another season of mid-tableness but hey…fair enough if we’re losing 3-0 or similar! I’d like to know how many City fans saw Nahki’s penalty scored as we fought regardless of performance to get on level terms. 

Being quite honest i stayed but can see why people left who could see us scoring sat we didnt have a,shot first half players didnt look interested.

On 15/04/2024 at 12:42, BrizzleRed said:

Now this is something I agree with. I guess football has become a product and if there is no product then fans feel short changed. Before this football was a drug, a hobby with a sense of togetherness between fans and the club. I’ve stayed to the end regardless in over 40 years of watching the City in all but 2 matches. I guess I’m a traditionalist and hang on to this feeling of ‘togetherness’. That’s why I stay even now and will continue to do so. However, I get it why others feel differently -   It’s understandable that many are peeved by the way our club is being run. The exodus really highlighted how disgruntled or changed fans are towards the Bristol Sport product. It was just a shock when sooo many left on Saturday. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pikeysrobins said:

Now this is something I agree with. I guess football has become a product and if there is no product then fans feel short changed. Before this football was a drug, a hobby with a sense of togetherness between fans and the club. I’ve stayed to the end regardless in over 40 years of watching the City in all but 2 matches. I guess I’m a traditionalist and hang on to this feeling of ‘togetherness’. That’s why I stay even now and will continue to do so. However, I get it why others feel differently -   It’s understandable that many are peeved by the way our club is being run. The exodus really highlighted how disgruntled or changed fans are towards the Bristol Sport product. It was just a shock when sooo many left on Saturday. 

Completely with you there.👍  

The mindset in football has completely changed now and I hold the clubs completely responsible for that, as they are the ones who have distanced themselves from the fans in recent years.

Like you say, you just wouldn’t consider walking out early in the distant past and booing at half time or the final whistle was pretty rare too.

Still, the clubs have made their bed by trying to rinse the fans for all they can get, so they are now reaping the ‘benefits’!

I can’t shake off the habit though and have only left early on a handful of occasions and would only ever boo the officials and never the team, as that’s ingrained in me now and I won’t be changing at this time of life.

If I could boo the ******* running this club, I certainly would though!!!

• Like 2

Leaving early just one part of the problem. We are rarely at full attendance ahead of kick off with so many still in the concourse as the teams come out. Then there’s the pre half time walkouts who are keen to beat the toilet or bar queues and are again slow to return for second half.

I've never left a game early, irrespective of the score. Why would I? I’ve paid to come and watch the game of football and I’ll see it through regardless of how we’re doing! Sometimes, that stubbornness rewards me like it did Saturday, oftentimes not! 

As supporters we have a part to play in creating an atmosphere that’s exciting and encouraging to the team. I’d love to see more people taking their seats in good time and not leaving early. Undoubtedly when the good times return, if we’re on a decent run, we’ll see more of this. We’re probably all running out of steam as the season draws to an end! 

COYR

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

Went to a restaurant once and bought what I thought was a lovely meal. I hoped it would satisfy me and fill my hunger.  Turned out it was sh@te and I didn’t finish it. Luckily I had the option having paid for it to not finish it and leave. Football is very much the same. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/bristol-bears-go-back-to-attacking-as-owner-steve-lansdown-was-bored-with-rugby/ar-BB1lNX10?cvid=480deb1971ec45e18dae23fb2f005236&ei=25

If this is how Lansdown has felt about the rugby, goodness knows what he has thought of some of our home games recently. Excitement in terms of our playing “style” has been in short supply much of the time. And no I am not going to mention “that” game as a counter argument, although it was a return to how this team plays best.

• Thanks 1

Not really an exodus but a funny story from an away game at Brentford. 

Think we lost 3-2 or Drew 2-2. Mate went for a piss and missed our first goal, was too slow finishing a half time pint and missed our second goal. 

Same friend missed Jon Stead’s goal at home to Coventry just after half time and had to leave early and missed Bolasie and Woods goals at the death. (how bleak were those times? Old useless players and next to no excitement) 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Think we lost 3-2 or Drew 2-2. Mate went for a piss and missed our first goal, was too slow finishing a half time pint and missed our second goal. 

Same friend missed Jon Stead’s goal at home to Coventry just after half time and had to leave early and missed Bolasie and Woods goals at the death. (how bleak were those times? Old useless players and next to no excitement) 

Yes,that was not a team it was easy to love (Stead excepted). The 14/15 team was so lovable and you can love individual players from all eras. What I'm trying to say is.....love is strange

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I can recall a game at Brentford where we lost 4 or 5 - 1, after making full use of the pubs around the ground pre-match, the only goal I missed through needing to take an in game pee was ours…

My memory is hazy as to our scorer or the year so it could have been Andy Cole, Nicky Maynard or some Scottish fella (Lee- something) who was supposed the next best thing but failed at City.