IGNORED

Norwich City away match thread

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure I agree really. We played ok, at times we were on top, but equally I don't think Norwich were on top of their game. I also didn't see us impose ourselves on the game consistently. I said earlier in the season that I think our performances are basically defined by the opposition, and I think that happened today.

I thought we were good but I didn't see much to increase my feelings of top 6 next season.

We were away from home to a Top 6 side desperate for the points. Not sure we were ever going to impose ourselves on the game throughout. However we did have good spells on top and didn’t allow them to hit top form. When the oppo fans are happy with a point at home you’ve done well unless you are playing a bottom three side.

I don’t think it’s right to lambast some very poor performances, forget results, and when we do play well overall, forget the result, dumb it down.

• Like 9
15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not sure I agree really. We played ok, at times we were on top, but equally I don't think Norwich were on top of their game. I also didn't see us impose ourselves on the game consistently. I said earlier in the season that I think our performances are basically defined by the opposition, and I think that happened today.

I thought we were good but I didn't see much to increase my feelings of top 6 next season.

Yes we played with more energy, less passing around at the back and an overall good performance, with consistently positive play. 
 Even then though, there were still silly and avoidable mistakes at times, if we can work on those over the summer, we might actually be a hard team to beat. 

Really enjoyable game to watch and loved their persistence. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
33 minutes ago, 22A said:

Canaries are generally satisfied with the  point

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/156330-official-match-thread-norwich-v-bristol-city/page/3/#comments

Hmm. Frustrating afternoon. Have to take the point and be grateful a couple of offside decisions went our way. Bristol a bit hard done by.

Hanging on with the  skin of our teeth - but still a good point

Bristol won practically every ball in Central midfield in front of their box but we couldn’t win any balls in front of our box - we have to get a quality CDM in the summer

Take the point. I thought they edged it over the course of the match. 

We are Bristol City, not just Bristol, just like Manchester United, not just Manchester 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Pleasantly surprised by that performance, felt we were the better team. Not been a fan of Manning but he’s winning me over. Seems to have got the best out of Roberts, looks a different player and a quality signing. Credit where it’s due. That was a decent point and could have been more. 

• Like 8
  • Robin 1
1 minute ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes we played with more energy, less passing around at the back and an overall good performance, with consistently positive play. 
 Even then though, there were still silly and avoidable mistakes at times, if we can work on those over the summer, we might actually be a hard team to beat. 

Really enjoyable game to watch and loved their persistence. 

There's nothing wrong with the defenders having possession at the right times. There were a couple of examples today when Norwich had got a bit of momentum, and we smartly slowed the game down and kept the ball a bit longer. Makes total sense. We were dictating the tempo, which I believe is what Manning is trying to instil. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
9 minutes ago, mozo said:

There's nothing wrong with the defenders having possession at the right times. There were a couple of examples today when Norwich had got a bit of momentum, and we smartly slowed the game down and kept the ball a bit longer. Makes total sense. We were dictating the tempo, which I believe is what Manning is trying to instil. 

Clearly that’s not what I’m talking about. Only an idiot would think you never need to keep possession at the back. 
 I think most people will understand just what I meant. 

Edited by JP Hampton
15 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Great to extend our unbeaten run and another good performance against a good side. 
We just need to fix our performances against the struggling sides then we’ll be the real deal. 
Well done Liam and the lads !!

Hopefully the next two games will tick that box 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Annoys me slightly when we put in a good performance against a top 6 side and instead of praising that, it's more that the opposition were having an off day.  It is just.possible that the way we set up and played, made them have that 'off day'

Edited by Top Robin
  • Like 10
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Annoys me slightly when we put in a good performance against a top 6 side and instead of praising that, it's more that the opposition were having an off day.  It is just.possible that the way we set up and played, made them have that 'off day'

Yeah we got that with Leicester too. 

Manning definitely got his part spot on, because the tactics worked a treat. It's then up to the players to perform, and mist of them did. 

It's a shame that Sykes seems to be in a bit of rut because he was so clinical last season, but not today.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

Why is it some posters continue to say the other side weren’t on their game when we get a decent result against them 

perhaps just maybe that’s something to do with how we played , Norwich on a really decent run and little old Bristol city turn up and tbh should have taken the 3 points ,  well played chaps

, transfer market = a couple of finishers cough up Steve 😂😂😂😂

• Like 4
1 hour ago, redkev said:

Why is it some posters continue to say the other side weren’t on their game when we get a decent result against them 

perhaps just maybe that’s something to do with how we played , Norwich on a really decent run and little old Bristol city turn up and tbh should have taken the 3 points ,  well played chaps

, transfer market = a couple of finishers cough up Steve 😂😂😂😂

FWIW, I agree.

But I also think Norwich are a team that let you have the ball too.  So I’m less surprised we were able to knock it around nicely today.  But nor does that take away from us playing well today either.

So the way the game was played you could say was largely due to Norwich being a low-pressing side, but the performance we put in should deserve credit.

If that makes sense?

+++++

What I’d like to see next is us playing the kinda way we played today against a team that get in your face, but we are good enough to play through them.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Pip King said:

What's this forum called again?

It's called: One team in Bristol. And you only have a phrase like that when there's two or more teams in one place. They don't tend to go around Norwich saying: there's only one team in Norwich. I don't suppose.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

But we’re the only team in Bristol that championship teams recognise, take it as a compliment.

Norwich played the Few earlier in the season,  I'd imagine they called them Bristol too. The pair of us are pretty anonymous, as professional clubs go. Unremarkable. So unremarkable are the Few I am convinced that when they started wearing the comedy quarters jester strip again in the 60's or 70s or whenever, it was a desperate attempt to be noticed, because they're never going to get attention for their football. 

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, I agree.

But I also think Norwich are a team that let you have the ball too.  So I’m less surprised we were able to knock it around nicely today.  But nor does that take away from us playing well today either.

So the way the game was played you could say was largely due to Norwich being a low-pressing side, but the performance we put in should deserve credit.

If that makes sense?

+++++

What I’d like to see next is us playing the kinda way we played today against a team that get in your face, but we are good enough to play through them.

The impressive bit wasn't that we had a lot of the ball, but what we did with it, and also what we did without the ball.

The Norwich commentator said something like, "You don't see away sides coming to Carrow Road and doing this to Norwich City".

So, this was definitely not on the cards.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mozo said:

You've got very high standards if that was just OK!

Yeh, I think high standards are needed if the ambition is to do what Norwich have done this season and get 70+ points. 

Whilst I thought we played fine today, fine being just that - totally acceptable and ok - I don't think that playing like we did today, over a season, would see us likely to get top 6, which is what I was responding to in your post.

And yeh, I think Norwich were a bit off their game today. I watched it with a Norwich fan, he said the same. 

I'm not downplaying the result, it's a good result, it was a decent performance, but it doesn't make me think we're looking sharp enough for top 6 next season.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh, I think high standards are needed if the ambition is to do what Norwich have done this season and get 70+ points. 

Whilst I thought we played fine today, fine being just that - totally acceptable and ok - I don't think that playing like we did today, over a season, would see us likely to get top 6, which is what I was responding to in your post.

And yeh, I think Norwich were a bit off their game today. I watched it with a Norwich fan, he said the same. 

I'm not downplaying the result, it's a good result, it was a decent performance, but it doesn't make me think we're looking sharp enough for top 6 next season.

I disagree. I think if we hit the levels shown today every game next season, we get in the playoffs. 

Unfortunately, getting the players to consistently hit the levels is incredibly difficult.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, mozo said:

I disagree. I think if we hit the levels shown today every game next season, we get in the playoffs. 

Unfortunately, getting the players to consistently hit the levels is incredibly difficult.

Cool. It's absolutely fine to disagree. 

I enjoyed the game and thought it was a fair result.

• Like 1