IGNORED

Nige on “No Tippy Tappy Football” podcast - send your questions!

exAtyeoMax

11 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Same here. Felt like I'd have been enabling their behaviour.  I'm in a minority though so watch them get bolder with their bullshit..

It's not just about what's happened for Nige with me. They have their reasons, fair enough. 

The whole club just doesn't feel the same anymore and I'm tired of listening to their BS season after season to just sit right in mid table every single time. 

The style of football I grew up with City playing was very attack minded and with width. We haven't played that way in years.

We have a coach in who likes slow and patient football, which to me just adds to the sterile atmosphere at AG which is like a morgue most weeks. By the way I do hope LM does well and the club is successful because after all it is still my club.

I feel really detached, haven't watched much of us the last 6 weeks, I just feel we're going around the same old cycle again. Get in experience, sack them when they cut costs then employ inexperience... Rinse and repeat.

I actually really dislike JL. He must be one of the most unprofessional chairman you could have across the whole EFL and PL, it's like we are run like a Non league club at times. Ultimately Steve has allowed this to happen and he has a lust for nepotism.

I haven't missed it, I'll pick my games next season and will go to mostly away matches when I can.

• Like 9
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I understand. You could say Mebude was a loan to view if he's any good. He's not, so nothing lost. TGH was signed on loan under Pearson no? He's been injured a bit and Knight Williams/James has been in form so no need to break them up but provides good competition/cover at worst.

Twine is another loan to see if he's good enough. If he really enjoys his loan that could knock a few grand a week off any wages demands. Fee yes would be expensive.

It will be an interesting summer with regards to transfer targets!

Time will of course tell but replying to your last sentence, I really don’t think it will be.

Twine permanently & a striker from the Belgian or French leagues & that’s your lot.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What, like Birmingham have with Tony Mowbray…….can be done.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Beat me to it.

To be fair, I have had the same thoughts but what’s gone on at Brum probably supports that you do make the permanent change as opposed to wait it out. Venus was a horror show and although it’s not the sole reason they may go down, putting Rowett in charge earlier I’d wager they wouldn’t be in as much trouble as they are. Issue there is you do that and he does well, who do you want as manager long term.

Of course, had Nige taken a leave of absence wholly possible Euell and Phlegm could have done well but I do kind of get the logic of a clean break.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We have a coach in who likes slow and patient football, which to me just adds to the sterile atmosphere at AG which is like a morgue most weeks. By the way I do hope LM does well and the club is successful because after all it is still my club.

I feel really detached, haven't watched much of us the last 6 weeks, I just feel we're going around the same old cycle again. Get in experience, sack them when they cut costs then employ inexperience... Rinse and repeat.

If you haven't watched much in the last 6 weeks then you've missed some decent matches with decent atmospheres. 

I think the point with Manning, and a major reason of why he was an unnecessary gamble - we weren't going nowhere with NP and Liam wasn't a guaranteed winner - is that he's a relatively young manager, learning his trade at this level. He can and does adapt to circumstances. 

This isn't me saying everything is great and we'll shoot up the table next season. It's just you turned off watching perhaps at Manning's worst, and we have experienced some tempo-led, going-for-it games. I don't think Manning has yet established a settled "style" at this club. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair, I have had the same thoughts but what’s gone on at Brum probably supports that you do make the permanent change as opposed to wait it out. Venus was a horror show and although it’s not the sole reason they may go down, putting Rowett in charge earlier I’d wager they wouldn’t be in as much trouble as they are. Issue there is you do that and he does well, who do you want as manager long term.

Of course, had Nige taken a leave of absence wholly possible Euell and Phlegm could have done well but I do kind of get the logic of a clean break.

In Brum’s case it appears that they want Mowbray to come back, hence the interim appointment of Rowett.  Who knows, Mowbray may decide (or have it decided for him by medical people) that he can’t come back.  But Brum are waiting to see how Mowbray gets on first.

I honestly don’t know why a similar approach couldn’t be taken, either let Fleming take over like he did in covid, or realise they needed an interim.  Well, I retract that last statement, I know why…it was an excuse to lever him out.  They picked their moment (after their first attempt failed). Don’t forget they sacked Rennie, Euell immediately with Nige and then Fleming as Manning appointed.  But the main thrust of it is not the sacking it’s how they handled it, in particular the comms to the fans.  That sums up the decision makers at the club.

I had nothing to do with Manning, apart from some fans pushing it onto him.  Manning should be judged on what he does.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Agree with this. Bringing in "cover" makes the situation potentially very messy.

And if you already have a club owner that has very different ideas on how to run a club to the manager and "doesn't always see eye to eye" with the manager (Steve's exact words), and that manager is out of contract at the end of the season, then the reality is they are going to make a clean break.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you haven't watched much in the last 6 weeks then you've missed some decent matches with decent atmospheres. 

I think the point with Manning, and a major reason of why he was an unnecessary gamble - we weren't going nowhere with NP and Liam wasn't a guaranteed winner - is that he's a relatively young manager, learning his trade at this level. He can and does adapt to circumstances. 

This isn't me saying everything is great and we'll shoot up the table next season. It's just you turned off watching perhaps at Manning's worst, and we have experienced some tempo-led, going-for-it games. I don't think Manning has yet established a settled "style" at this club. 

I've been keeping tabs, watched a couple games on iFollow, but my heart isn't in it as much as it used to be. 

This isn't LM or NP related really and nothing to do with how we perform solely on the pitch, it's the whole package for me that I've had enough of and need time away from.

I don't doubt that we have improved over the last 6 weeks, results will also tell you that but it hasn't change my thoughts.

Cardiff at home was my last straw. It's a performance we've all seen at home about 23 times in the last 5 years and it really made me think why do I even bother.

So I figured the best way to voice my anger with the club is by not renewing my ST and not attending as many matches. 

Ultimately the sacking of NP was probably the last straw for me with SL, JL and BT. I'd lost total respect and support for them.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I've been keeping tabs, watched a couple games on iFollow, but my heart isn't in it as much as it used to be. 

This isn't LM or NP related really and nothing to do with how we perform solely on the pitch, it's the whole package for me that I've had enough of and need time away from.

I don't doubt that we have improved over the last 6 weeks, results will also tell you that but it hasn't change my thoughts.

Cardiff at home was my last straw. It's a performance we've all seen at home about 23 times in the last 5 years and it really made me think why do I even bother.

So I figured the best way to voice my anger with the club is by not renewing my ST and not attending as many matches. 

Ultimately the sacking of NP was probably the last straw for me with SL, JL and BT. I'd lost total respect and support for them.

With you on the last line. I want them gone - and let's face it that could happen; the club's for sale.

I really can't tell how next season will turn out though. I'd find it very difficult to do a final placing prediction for 24/25. Far too many ifs and uncertainties. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This for me is what I'm really annoyed about. Forget about Liam and Nige for a second. 

We have the likes of Tony Wilkins and his followers saying how fantastic it is that we've done as well as last season and could maybe slightly improve upon that (ignoring the fact the gap to the play offs is wider)

Absolutely none of us expected us to do the same as last season. Each and every one of us expected progression. 

We all felt that the ship had been stabled and that we would push on this season. 

We have not pushed on. I'd argue we've slightly regressed. So why do we have an element of our fan base celebrating matching last season? 

This season we have under achieved with what we had available. 

We have under achieved in a number of games this season without a doubt. 

We havent progressed and i blame JL for that - totally derailed our season with a new manager.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

The club could solve most of its problems by appointing a strong experienced comms person who could guide on the public messaging (assuming SL and JL would listen to that guidance of course). The comms around the removal of Alexander, the sacking of Pearson and reasons given for the sacking of Pearson after the event have all been so poor. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

What, like Birmingham have with Tony Mowbray…….can be done.

Can be done, but doesn't have to be done.

It is legally justifiable to terminate a contract of employment if the illness/incapacity of the employee is likely to make performance of the employee's duties either impossible or radically different.

Whether or not a dismissal is justifiable depend on many factors. It's an area of law that is very complex, open to interpretation, heavily influenced by case law, and very very very dependent on the individual facts of each case.

But there's far from a blanket prohibition on ending an employment contract for health reasons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

This thread isn’t good reading, pretty pissed off with Tinnion, so if true he has been instrumental in the sacking of Wilson and Pearson? 

Wilson was loved by fans from memory although looking back now if he would have sorted the drinking culture out I think we would have been promoted.

Pearson completely turns the club around, makes the Lansdowns lots of money by progressing some youth players (although I guess he had no choice) and is again loved by majority of the fans base.

Sounds like Tinnion gets a bit jealous to me

On Nigel Pearson, I'm with you. But Danny Wilson? nah - he had a ridiculous squad and couldnt get us promoted. Cant blame tins for that

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Riaz said:

On Nigel Pearson, I'm with you. But Danny Wilson? nah - he had a ridiculous squad and couldnt get us promoted. Cant blame tins for that

Maybe not but Tinnion took that squad (who finished 3rd 2 years running) and came 7th..

Then brought in "the magnificent seven", lost 7-1 at Swansea and got the sack!

This same person is now the head of recruitment ......

Sorry but BT nor JL would get another job in a similar position at any other EFL club, well League 2 perhaps eh?

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, Tim Monaghan said:

Thats okay, I get that. I just care about results. These things will all go in a puff of smoke if we have a strong start next season, just you wait. 

Just out of interest though, what would you like to know about that the club haven't told you? What would make it better? I'm not starting an argument, just interested. 

I believe the club were heading in a good direction with NP.I believe when our injury situation improved it would have made a big difference to results. I believe the players liked and responded well to working with NP.The whole manner of Nige's sacking stank.

Under this administration we have had some very questionable appointments as manager/head coach.Also a couple of very questionable sackings in managers that I believe were very good appointments that didn't recieved the backing they deserved. 

As I said,to me it is not about results. I was excited at what I could see NP was trying to do.He was rebuilding bridges between club and fans. For me he was making the club start to feel like the great times I enjoyed under Steve Cotteril and Gary Johnson.Even thought hat was League One I loved those times.

In my eyes the club have been guilty many times of not being honest with fans and not really even trying to hide the fact.I think other people say it better when the use the phrase "customers not supporters".Things like tame interviews with Joe Sims really tell you all you need to know.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I firmly believe we would have not have done any worse than we have done under Curtis and Jason. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, Graham76 said:

I’ve listened to this part a couple of times.  Surely Nigel would have phrased this differently if he suspected BT & JL we’re conspiring against him.  Does this exonerate BT of being a snake?  

19 hours ago, petehinton said:

It’s either…

- JL is making decisions & conversations above Tinns role without consulting him, almost rendering him redundant 

- JL & Tinns had the conversation, and were in agreement, and Tinns never brought it up to Pearson

- JL just made it up as a throw away comment/perception off the cuff in the interview 

Not such which would be the worst tbh!

For me NP could well be saying, if JL had a problem with the training schedule - fine, you’ve sacked the medical team - but maybe also have a chat with your TD as he was fully aware of it and signed off on it too.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, mozo said:

I think the bittersweet element here is that if we, by some minor miracle, finish top 6 next season, then the board could argue that they were justified in bringing in Manning when they did and managing the budget how they did. 

Strange. You've been banging on since October that you had no expectations above mid table and now talk about top 6 with a very similar squad. Major miracle needed, not minor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

In Brum’s case it appears that they want Mowbray to come back, hence the interim appointment of Rowett.  Who knows, Mowbray may decide (or have it decided for him by medical people) that he can’t come back.  But Brum are waiting to see how Mowbray gets on first.

I honestly don’t know why a similar approach couldn’t be taken, either let Fleming take over like he did in covid, or realise they needed an interim.  Well, I retract that last statement, I know why…it was an excuse to lever him out.  They picked their moment (after their first attempt failed). Don’t forget they sacked Rennie, Euell immediately with Nige and then Fleming as Manning appointed.  But the main thrust of it is not the sacking it’s how they handled it, in particular the comms to the fans.  That sums up the decision makers at the club.

I had nothing to do with Manning, apart from some fans pushing it onto him.  Manning should be judged on what he does.

The length of contract remaining at the point of illness influences things as well. Making a few assumptions here but say Mowbray and Pearson were each told "you'll be too ill to work for the next 4 months". Well 4 months out of Mowbray's 2.5 year contract is less significant than 4 months of Pearson's remaining 8 months (at the time).

So Birmingham would have had a harder time justifying a termination of Mowbray's contract on that basis. In our case we'd be saying "look, you're not capable of fulfilling 50% of the remaining contract" that radically changes things, and could permissably be a factor in the decision to terminate.

I'm not saying any of the above is "right" or wrong, but it's a summary of part of the legal position.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

We have progressed.

IMO..

*The start was 1 part poor, 1 part good.

*Then a slump albeit masked by the Cup games.

*The two February wins felt like it could have been a platform but..

*Another slump, 4 losses on the bounce, become 5 in 6.

*The decent run now.

This latter run has got us back to par. Just par.

Position inherited:

P15W6D3L6F16A16Pts21GD0

40% Win Ratio, 1.4 PPG

Currently on a 1.31 PPG and 11 wins from 29, that is 37 93%. Possibly 2-3 points light.

Win this weekend and we are all but up to par. The intent in 3, if not 4 of the last 6 has been a welcome indicator however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

IMO..

*The start was 1 part poor, 1 part good.

*Then a slump albeit masked by the Cup games.

*The two February wins felt like it could have been a platform but..

*Another slump, 4 losses on the bounce, become 5 in 6.

*The decent run now.

This latter run has got us back to par. Just par.

Position inherited:

P15W6D3L6F16A16Pts21GD0

40% Win Ratio, 1.4 PPG

Currently on a 1.31 PPG and 11 wins from 29, that is 37 93%. Possibly 2-3 points light.

Win this weekend and we are all but up to par. The intent in 3, if not 4 of the last 6 has been a welcome indicator however.

What the recent run and a number of performances has done is allow Liam to be judged with an open mind next season. Start well, he’s in a good place with the fans, start middling there’s still the niggles there but he’ll still get time, start badly and he’s right under the pump. Liams recent record has earned him that now in the eyes of most fans.

What have the hierarchy done to earn a change of mind from many fans who just don’t trust them? What have they improved? I don’t think fans will be as inclined to let them off the hook as easily as Manning tbh. However results are going.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

26 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What the recent run and a number of performances has done is allow Liam to be judged with an open mind next season. Start well, he’s in a good place with the fans, start middling there’s still the niggles there but he’ll still get time, start badly and he’s right under the pump. Liams recent record has earned him that now in the eyes of most fans.

What have the hierarchy done to earn a change of mind from many fans who just don’t trust them? What have they improved? I don’t think fans will be as inclined to let them off the hook as easily as Manning tbh. However results are going.

you see it that way and so do I but i dont think some people give a hoot how the club is run or how people are treated so long as their team wins games .

as you know, ive had enough of the lansdowns poor decisions and lies to never go back until they are gone. 

some wont understand why i feel this way, i think you and many others do, the difference seems to be in the kind of person that you are.

im happy with where i am at and with everybody elses choices, it is after all, ones own choice.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you haven't watched much in the last 6 weeks then you've missed some decent matches with decent atmospheres. . 

Disagree about the decent atmospheres. The atmosphere has been really poor.  This is isn’t a LM thing, as it’s been crap for years now, but the sacking of Pearson didn’t help. 

Edited by Graham76
  • Like 3