IGNORED

Nige on “No Tippy Tappy Football” podcast - send your questions!

exAtyeoMax

One thing is for sure it was an entertaining interview and podcast! 

“I learnt afterwards it was for results”. What a sly, snide thing to have done, exposing Lansdown further really. 

It does pose the question, what reason was he given?

His comment about “ask me in 12 months” was interesting, it’d be great to hear an interview after he’s bound by whatever he’s signed.

More than anything it was good to hear from him and that he’s getting better. 

Cheers Nige!

Edited by One Team
  • Like 12

10 hours ago, mozo said:

I've got no issue with people doubting Manning. What I was pointing out to Mr Seagull, was that his assessment that Manning should have won certain "winnable games" is a daft way to assess, because all managers drop points against teams they should beat. 

I totally agree with the bit in bold but it is surely not an unreasonable position to take that Manning's changing of style to one totally unsuited to our squad and persistence with such style even when all the evidence pointed to the fact that it was not working did cause us to drop points unnecessarily.

• Like 9

I enjoyed that. 

What crossed my mind, about the sacking, and that it wasn't amicable, is what reason they gave to Pearson on sacking him.

He says he finds out post sacking by public interviews that it was down to results and worry re deconditioning of players. 

It's obvious he didn't want to go...so what was there reason to him.

He says he's a manager, and obviously relied on his coaching staff to coach. 

In the same breath, he says he's concentrating on getting back to full health and reading between the lines wouldn't take another job on until ready. 

So did he feel with his health situation he could still manage us using his Coaches. 

It raises those questions in my head. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think when we post mortum our season that will be (ahem) the “biggest bit” of Liams reign.

I go back to the QPR game. There is nothing wrong with getting defence right first - but he came in somewhere where the defence wasn’t (barring injuries) really an issue and went ultra negative first. It was almost as if what was at the club before him didn’t matter and he had to follow a set pattern of how you build things.

Fast forward through the season up until Easter and he dogmatically tried to impose a style on the team they weren’t suited to. I don’t think there’s any coincidence the better performances were more counter attacking as opposed to what we class as “Manningball” of heavy retention of possession, often for possessions sake.

Post Easter, he’s changed tack in how we play. It’s more than a “tweak”, it’s a fundamental in terms of intent and suitability to the squad. And shockingly, it’s getting better results.

I don’t care how he got to the conclusion - whether it was the risk of the sack, an epiphany or taking tactical advice from Tinnion. But I don’t think it’s an unfair conclusion that prior to this run, Liam had caused most of his own problems by how he was setting us up.

Do I think we could have made the playoffs under either? Only if we replaced Scott properly which we didn’t try and do until January. Do I think Liam lessened our chances of an unlikely top six finish this season by the way he set us up, and managed the game “in match”? Absolutely.

This thread is about Pearson, not Manning?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

I enjoyed that. 

What crossed my mind, about the sacking, and that it wasn't amicable, is what reason they gave to Pearson on sacking him.

He says he finds out post sacking by public interviews that it was down to results and worry re deconditioning of players. 

It's obvious he didn't want to go...so what was there reason to him.

He says he's a manager, and obviously relied on his coaching staff to coach. 

In the same breath, he says he's concentrating on getting back to full health and reading between the lines wouldn't take another job on until ready. 

So did he feel with his health situation he could still manage us using his Coaches. 

Obviously none of us know, but my take is they told him they didn’t think he was physically able to do the job & his view on this was what you said in your last but one paragraph, Fleming & Euell were his coaches & so they could do “day to day”.

The club were scared of saying anything health related publicly, so came out with the story about poor results & even if you consider that we had a large number of players unavailable, that’s at least factual, but JL then bizarrely decided to add the “deconditioned” comment, which was far more disputable.

Certainly if you believe his version of events, they said one thing to him & then another to the public.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

What crossed my mind, about the sacking, and that it wasn't amicable, In the same breath, he says he's concentrating on getting back to full health and reading between the lines wouldn't take another job on until ready. 

I think he knew he couldn't carry on due to health issues. I recall in one of his last interviews he said he just needed a quick op and would be in and out of hospital in "48 hours". That was disingenuous, I believe, and he knew the situation was much more serious.

He spent a week in hospital having tests in Nov/Dec and we know that as of early Jan he still couldn't walk. 

For a fact, he would have had to take more time off from the job to get treated. Whatever anyone says, that is a less than ideal situation for the club, and frankly not good for Nige.

He won't see it this way, but ultimately the club may have done him a favour so that he could fully concentrate on getting better. 

Seems he's still not 100% fit so I've no idea how or why people think he'd have been able to see the full season out here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think he knew he couldn't carry on due to health issues. I recall in one of his last interviews he said he just needed a quick op and would be in and out of hospital in "48 hours". That was disingenuous, I believe, and he knew the situation was much more serious.

He spent a week in hospital having tests in Nov/Dec and we know that as of early Jan he still couldn't walk. 

For a fact, he would have had to take more time off from the job to get treated. Whatever anyone says, that is a less than ideal situation for the club, and frankly not good for Nige.

He won't see it this way, but ultimately the club may have done him a favour so that he could fully concentrate on getting better. 

Seems he's still not 100% fit so I've no idea how or why people think he'd have been able to see the full season out here.

While yes, it doesn’t excuse the lack of honesty and integrity.  

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sacked for being disabled. Some boss or owner you would be. Unreal. Are you serous in what you just wrote? Have a long hard think about what you are saying. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 4

4 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

While yes, it doesn’t excuse the lack of honesty and integrity.  

Absolutely. And in doing so they have martyred Nige and created a whole load of mistrust. 

1 minute ago, RollsRoyce said:

Sacked for being disabled. Some boss or owner you would be. Unreal. Are you serous in what you just wrote? Have a long hard think about what you are saying. 

Read what I said properly and don't slur me, you moron. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Colemanballs said:

I totally agree with the bit in bold but it is surely not an unreasonable position to take that Manning's changing of style to one totally unsuited to our squad and persistence with such style even when all the evidence pointed to the fact that it was not working did cause us to drop points unnecessarily.

41 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think when we post mortum our season that will be (ahem) the “biggest bit” of Liams reign.

I go back to the QPR game. There is nothing wrong with getting defence right first - but he came in somewhere where the defence wasn’t (barring injuries) really an issue and went ultra negative first. It was almost as if what was at the club before him didn’t matter and he had to follow a set pattern of how you build things.

Fast forward through the season up until Easter and he dogmatically tried to impose a style on the team they weren’t suited to. I don’t think there’s any coincidence the better performances were more counter attacking as opposed to what we class as “Manningball” of heavy retention of possession, often for possessions sake.

Post Easter, he’s changed tack in how we play. It’s more than a “tweak”, it’s a fundamental in terms of intent and suitability to the squad. And shockingly, it’s getting better results.

I don’t care how he got to the conclusion - whether it was the risk of the sack, an epiphany or taking tactical advice from Tinnion. But I don’t think it’s an unfair conclusion that prior to this run, Liam had caused most of his own problems by how he was setting us up.

Do I think we could have made the playoffs under either? Only if we replaced Scott properly which we didn’t try and do until January. Do I think Liam lessened our chances of an unlikely top six finish this season by the way he set us up, and managed the game “in match”? Absolutely.

Agree with both, although would counter that new managers try new things..another reason why the change being made when it was in some ways ill-advised, that inevitable attempt at transition often can see points dropped- whereas an orderly handover in the summer you have less flux, less issues..can see what works, what may not work in friendlies. In some ways it wrote off the season a bit although 2-3 light and especially lacking a viable Scott replacement perhaps the die was cast in August.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I still think 99% of the problem lays with the Club, they could have done this in a much better way but the poor relationship , and poor leadership meant it didn't happen. 

Pearson was on crutches at the training ground, but he didn't take sessions as far as I'm aware, he liked others to take responsibility . That's why he seemed to take a lot of care choosing staff. As long as he could watch sessions I'm not sure it made a lot of difference to what happened, though I doubt it was helping his situation. 

What should/could have happened is, the approach him and try and talk him into taking gardening leave to have the OP. He was OOC in the summer , so unless they really thought that another Coach/Manager could really take them to the Playoffs there was no rush to change things. 
IMO the summer was the time to make changes 

Because they ( I think it was Tinnion ) suggested the change would be seamless and was done to make a top 6 push, it does make it adversarial , it's football fans after all it's what we do. All the bluff that came after was just trying to save face and make excuses , again not Mannings fault but he was always going to get some stick as the face of the Club.  Tinnion then came out and said he ( Manning) was learning on the Job, the opposite of what was suggested when he came in.

They couldn't sack him for health issues , but if they had managed to get him on Gardening leave and had Flemming in charge for the rest of the season , at least the fans would have seen reason. Then we start with a new manager/coach who gets a proper pre season.

It's just down to poor leadership of the Club at the very top. For one brief minute we looked like we were on to something , we had a strong Manager and a top CEO. Going back to an inexperienced Chairman and a shared CEO and a TD we look like a rudderless ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I still think 99% of the problem lays with the Club, they could have done this in a much better way but the poor relationship , and poor leadership meant it didn't happen. 

Pearson was on crutches at the training ground, but he didn't take sessions as far as I'm aware, he liked others to take responsibility . That's why he seemed to take a lot of care choosing staff. As long as he could watch sessions I'm not sure it made a lot of difference to what happened, though I doubt it was helping his situation. 

What should/could have happened is, the approach him and try and talk him into taking gardening leave to have the OP. He was OOC in the summer , so unless they really thought that another Coach/Manager could really take them to the Playoffs there was no rush to change things. 
IMO the summer was the time to make changes 

Because they ( I think it was Tinnion ) suggested the change would be seamless and was done to make a top 6 push, it does make it adversarial , it's football fans after all it's what we do. All the bluff that came after was just trying to save face and make excuses , again not Mannings fault but he was always going to get some stick as the face of the Club.  Tinnion then came out and said he ( Manning) was learning on the Job, the opposite of what was suggested when he came in.

They couldn't sack him for health issues , but if they had managed to get him on Gardening leave and had Flemming in charge for the rest of the season , at least the fans would have seen reason. Then we start with a new manager/coach who gets a proper pre season.

It's just down to poor leadership of the Club at the very top. For one brief minute we looked like we were on to something , we had a strong Manager and a top CEO. Going back to an inexperienced Chairman and a shared CEO and a TD we look like a rudderless ship.

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely hopeless comms, both to Nige himself and the fans. 

But then what's new on that front? 

It's always been the same under the Lansdowns, because guess what? They aren't very good communicators. 

And we're now left in a bizarre vacuum where they won't even employ someone decent to do the comms for them!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In respect of NP in general..dunno if he reads this place. 

*All the best with your health.

*Hope you flourish in next job.

*I do think you merit and hope you get, a relatively cushy job such as a well resourced Parachute club next time albeit in some cases a pressure to get straight back up...but some quite undeserving or in other cases fairly unproven managers get these roles. You are neither.

*The Youth development, the Profit on Disposal, the improvement in results and over time 1performance level/underlying numbers with both less players certainly senior ones depth wise and less of a wage bill- very impressive. A solid legacy bequeathed without doubt by NP and his team, and Gould also helped to set the ship in the right direction. You and youth team merited significantly better.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes Manning was 100% Tins appointment, and as you say he was clearly instrumental in Pearson's removal too. 

I took the “ask the technical director” remark as a pointed dig at BT. 

• Like 5

Late to this. Just listened. Probably don't have much new to add but I'll give my thoughts.

God I'd forgotten how long he can talk after just saying "Hello". Although fair enough he admits he rambles, and Allardyce more than gives him a run for his money.

On leaving us: "Get the exit clause [in the contract] watertight" 😂😂😂 and was it? "Yes". And there's confidentiality clauses (of course there are). So he can't tell us the official reasons that he was given, but we can assume he's been "looked after" in the settlement.

But he can talk about what the club have already said in public - hence he can mention the deconditioning point and the results. It does not look good for the club that they gave reasons in public not given in private. Sounds as well like Pearson is a bit less litigious than old "pint of wine" Allardyce. Allardyce is clearly very well acquainted with the LMAs legal team!

That means there may still be more to the story than we know, even after this interview.

I love the bit on "success" and how it's not necessarily just trophies and wins. Absolutely true in all walks of life.

There's an absolutely top example of the diversity training kicking in with the "him OR her" when talking about the man OR woman in the middle. Very enjoyable to hear that, made me smile.

Finally, I'd like to apologise to Nigel for ever calling him a curmudgeonly old man. Allardyce is a curmudgeonly old man. Good lord the size of the chip on that bloke's shoulder.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Finally, I'd like to apologise to Nigel for ever calling him a curmudgeonly old man. Allardyce is a curmudgeonly old man. Good lord the size of the chip on that bloke's shoulder.

Comes across as an extremely bitter man and never misses a trick to say he was sacked somewhere by a club. Like every other Manager that's ever managed other than the odd very select few.

• Like 1

My main takeaway from Allardyce was how out of touch he seemed to be with the game at the moment, e.g Nige was asked about Sheffield Wednesday and was talking about "Danny" (Rohl) and how he was doing well in his first job, to which Sam piped up with "who's Danny?".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

My main takeaway from Allardyce was how out of touch he seemed to be with the game at the moment, e.g Nige was asked about Sheffield Wednesday and was talking about "Danny" (Rohl) and how he was doing well in his first job, to which Sam piped up with "who's Danny?".

It’s odd how many people in football really are like that, maybe players more so than managers. I guess if you’re so involved, unless you play against them, you won’t look at football anywhere near as intently as a fan would 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

It’s odd how many people in football really are like that, maybe players more so than managers. I guess if you’re so involved, unless you play against them, you won’t look at football anywhere near as intently as a fan would 

you can include some media pundits too! 

3 hours ago, Colemanballs said:

That's a valid argument, albeit I'm not sure I buy it.

But it still comes back to the question, if tactics are the problem, why were we dropping points unnecessarily pre-Manning too (even before the injuries stacked up)?

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Aye, that’s fine.  I can only go on what I know…and in this case it’s nothing.  Not that I doubt you, I just can’t jump on a bandwagon.

Tea 😉

The Binman trying to get you on side, Dave? I'm surprised you didn't ask him what happened with Pearson. Any interesting things you can share form your meeting?

2 minutes ago, Maldini said:

The Binman trying to get you on side, Dave? I'm surprised you didn't ask him what happened with Pearson. Any interesting things you can share form your meeting?

No, Kid is referring to my meeting with Dave Rennie preseason.

Tins won’t be conversing with me, he’s decided to block me on Twitter this week, despite having had no twitter activity with him recently. Hey-ho!

• Haha 9
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Indeed Pete and to a lot of players it’s just a job.